• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
That is the standard but usually they get a season, and if that season does well enough then the 52 episodes are greenlight for sindication/reruns. I don't think all shows get the funding for it from the start.
Nah. They make a pilot and if the executives like the pilot enough it's picked up for 52 episodes. Because of how lengthy the animation production pipeline is, waiting for a season 1 response can kill the momentum. Thus studios frequently pick up series with an initial 52 episode run. This is also why cartoons struggle to get past 52 or 100 episodes. Sometimes the team has moved on ages ago even if the show turns out super popular.

That said, shows that are split up into two 15 minute segments still count each segment as a separate episode. So a "52 episode run" could very easily mean 26 episodes for how the viewer traditionally sees it.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
That is the standard but usually they get a season, and if that season does well enough then the 52 episodes are greenlight for sindication/reruns. I don't think all shows get the funding for it from the start.

Yeah some do and some don't, though lot of the 52+ first season shows over the years have been from established properties. So...maybe?

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Wasn't there another fake "leak" about a supposed animated show based on a property not that long ago? Is this just the new cool thing to make fakes for?

I refuse to believe anyone pitched a kids show with "MK Ultra" in the title lol.

Edit: I was thinking of the Crash Bandicoot cartoon "leak" which I also don't believe was real.
www.resetera.com

Leaked footage of Crash Bandicoot cartoon canned at Amazon after year in development over disagreements about script Rumor

https://www.reddit.com/r/crashbandicoot/comments/kvvml5/new_crash_cartoon_at_amazon_axed_yesterday_after/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The Crash cartoon was absolutely real. I have personally seen and been privy to internal documents and materials for it.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a monumentally stupid idea. I would love to hear the pitch meeting where it was approved if it's real.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Invoking MK Ultra in the title sure is a move

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Why are fans complaining?
For an IP that holds both Annihilation and Defenders of the Realm, this is some high quality stuff.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It does kinda make sense if it's accurate that an executive who grew up in the 90s pushed it through. If they're using nostalgia and aren't super aware of how the games are now, I could see them going 'it was fine back then' and no one pushing back on it.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not against the idea of making a children's cartoon about Mortal Kombat but just don't call it Mortal Kombat. Like why would they do that?

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
It does kinda make sense if it's accurate that an executive who grew up in the 90s pushed it through. If they're using nostalgia and aren't super aware of how the games are now, I could see them going 'it was fine back then' and no one pushing back on it.

I could see that. They only remember the old games that weren't too bad but have no idea what the current games are like.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
A) I also think it's a terrible idea to try to create a spin off cartoon for children off of one of the most violent IPs in video games. Especially when you're also trying to do R-rated movies etc.

B) I don't usually like to dunk on art styles but oh man. I am not a fan of what they were trying to do there.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
The art style feels like a twisted knock off of Jhonen Vasquez's stuff.

That said, I think it's hilarious that they invoked the memory of MK Uktra and I wouldn't be surprised if that was some dark humor on the creator's part.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Oh man, as an MK fan myself I know the fanbase would be SO fucking annoying about this if it got made. I would have LOVED it, though.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
This has to be a hoax right

They wouldn't have greenlit a cutesy kids cartoon based on Mortal fucking Kombat

Right?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think also when we're talking about those cartoons based on R-rated movies back in the 80s, you have to remember those were completely different times. I remember because I loved a lot of those cartoons and grew up watching them. The thing was back then we did not have the internet. We did not have Google. We did not have Youtube. We did not have tablets or smartphones where we could pull up or watch or search whatever we wanted in seconds for our own personal viewing without our parents able to see what we were watching. If I watched the Robocop cartoon I could conceivably be totally unaware that there was an R-rated movie that it was based on and the only way I might find out is by someone telling me, seeing an ad for a sequel in a magazine or on TV, or seeing it on the shelf of a Blockbuster or something. Even if/when I became aware, the only way I'd be able to watch it was to go out and rent or buy or borrow the VHS, or watch the VHS at a friend's house.

Today, all a kid has to do is search Mortal Kombat and the top results are definitely going to be stuff from the games or movie (likely a fatality montage) and that's that. Totally different times.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

They wouldn't have greenlit a cutesy kids cartoon based on Mortal fucking Kombat

Right?

Yeah insane violence aside the IP has a very weird history with its portrayal of women. Not sure i would want to open up the property to even more scrutiny by a wider audience if I were that executive. Some little girl goes on YouTube looking for their favorite Ultra Girl and ends up watching a realistic-looking woman in a bikini get her face ripped in half

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That art style... not a fan.

Had no idea they were a ship, learn something new everyday.
It's Frost primary/most popular ship from what I've seen. Typically by women who want to see Frost as a person in pain but has the ability to learn from Cassie and become a better person so she doesn't just get boiled down to crazy lady wanting power.

If you see the word Frossie when near MK stuff that is typically the ship/call name for them.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's Frost primary/most popular ship from what I've seen. Typically by women who want to see Frost as a person in pain but has the ability to learn from Cassie and become a better person so she doesn't just get boiled down to crazy lady wanting power.

If you see the word Frossie when near MK stuff that is typically the ship/call name for them.

Interesting! Thanks for the knowledge drop.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Right?
I agree, but I can also absolutely see a world where this works its way so far through the corpo system entire episodes were made before anyone realized how bad the optics were.

"Hmmm, that DC girls superhero show is popular, what other IP could we shoehorn into that structure?"

Nov 2, 2017
Little kid enjoys this show so they decide to go on Google to find out more about Mortal Kombat.

Finds this:

maxresdefault.jpg

This should be fine, no visible nipples.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This screams fake.

Maybe at some point this was someone's pitch, but the designs all seem wildly all over the place and inconsistent from one another to be anything in actual production.