• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That leaked plot sounded terrible, and the fact that the trailer seems to confirm it's authenticity makes me sad.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the entire fucking film was basically an attempt to make a cinematic universe out of the Hannah-Barbara cartoons. Jesus H...
I mean, a Hannah-Barbera cinematic universe isn't a terrible idea, it's just that they seem to be repeating the same mistake BvS/JL, The Mummy, Godzilla KOTM, etc made by jumping into the deep end instead of setting up the principle players one-by-one the way Marvel did.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These studios are swallowing a lot of money. Im guess godzilla vs kong is getting pushed to 2021 or 22 as well : (

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
At what point did Scooby Doo switch from being a show about fraudulent paranormal activity to being a show about real honest-to-god ghosts and monsters? As a kid it seemed like every story was about some phony haunting, but when I get glimpses of it now the show very much seems to involve them actually battling monsters and demons and stuff.
I know someone already posted an image, but to four or five decades ago, depending on how supernatural you consider the crossovers in the 70s "movies".

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Question. Was there a reason they got rid of the old gang to make Shaggy, Daphne, Scooby and crappy the main characters?

Scrappy-Doo was really popular back then and for a few years the cast was reduced to just Scrappy, Shaggy and Scooby. When they decided to go back to something closer to the older format, they initially just brought back Daphne as a main character, while Fred and Velma just made guest appearances. 13 Ghosts was the next tv series, so kept the same main cast and added some new characters. The movies from those years also often had only Shaggy, Scrappy and Scooby (later dumping Scrappy, but not bringing back the others).

I think the "A pup named Scooby" show helped solidifying the classic gang after they were sidelined for a long time.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, did we expect them to release it in theaters or wait a year+? Clickbait-y title 'shaming' them for doing the right thing.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That plot summary sounds weird and bad, but my wife loves Scooby-Doo so we're going to end up watching this anyway.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I think throwing out the voice cast was such a trash move.

Frank Welker has been the voice of Fred for over 50 years and now it's Zac Efron for this movie. Lol. Fuck off.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think throwing out the voice cast was such a trash move.

Frank Welker has been the voice of Fred for over 50 years and now it's Zac Efron for this movie. Lol. Fuck off.
Unfortunately that's just how shit rolls in Hollywood. Studios think that the name of a known screen actor will boost the BO of their animated kids movie, and will always choose them over established voice actors even if said actor is already the iconic, established actor for that character and the screen actor has little to no experience acting in a recording booth.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
No idea, but they probably just felt they were unnecessary since Fred is easily the blandest of the five outside some select series (namely A Pup Named and Mystery Inc.) and Velma wasn't "hot" like Daphne (and even she wasn't present in some of the series preceding 13 Ghosts), while Shag and Scoob were the obvious heart of the franchise and Scrappy was actually pretty popular back when he was first introduced.
I think it kind of worked out because shaggy and daphne barely ever interacted before it. They should have also done a Fred and Velma spinoff too.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
p502381_b_v8_aj.jpg
Boo Brothers and Ghoul School came before this

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunately that's just how shit rolls in Hollywood. Studios think that the name of a known screen actor will boost the BO of their animated kids movie, and will always choose them over established voice actors even if said actor is already the iconic, established actor for that character and the screen actor has little to no experience acting in a recording booth.

Yeah, I understand the game. Doesn't make it less shit.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Not surprised it's still 20 bucks when all of the new movie rentals have been the same price and seemingly done very well.

There's just nothing else to do and parents like myself are gonna rent it day zero just to help occupy the kid for an hour.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This is the second animated movie to go straight-to-streaming.

Given that last year wasn't very hospitable to non-Disney/Pixar animated movies, it's probably going to be the biggest category of films to skip theaters.

I imagine with so many families stuck at home desperate for things to do, $20 for a new movie to shut the kids up is a more lucrative market than it is for general live action fare. I think Trolls did like $50 million in direct purchases already?

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Trolls 2 do very well? With millions of kids stuck at home, this feels like a better idea than waiting for theaters to reopen than having all those postponed movies being released at once and clients not necessarely feeling safe.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
I think it's column A and column B. Warner Bros. probably didn't think this was going to be a *stinker*, but the more movies you push out, you have to push the even further ones to accommodate, and SCOOB probably wasn't going to do better than some of those; for example, if they bumped SCOOB to August, they'd bump Wonder Woman, which would maybe cause other WB tentpoles to get bumped as well. So every studio is doing some stuff direct to VOD depending on their future schedule; animated movies and family movies make the most sense since there's probably already a merchandise/toy line ready to go.

Oct 25, 2017
At what point did Scooby Doo switch from being a show about fraudulent paranormal activity to being a show about real honest-to-god ghosts and monsters? As a kid it seemed like every story was about some phony haunting, but when I get glimpses of it now the show very much seems to involve them actually battling monsters and demons and stuff.
13 Ghosts
Reluctant Werewolf
Zombie Island
Witch's Ghost
Alien Invaders
Scooby Doo - live action movie
Mystery Incorporated - mostly masks but the main plot was supernatural

The 2 best Scooby Doo things ever(Mystery Incorporated, Zombie Island) had real Supernatural elements.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like mentioned above 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (1985). Several of the movies following that series also had real monsters, like Ghoul School and the relectant Werewolf. The best one of this is probably Zombie Island (1998), although it's written like it's the first time they're dealing with the supernatural.

Most of the recent animated content still is focused on fake monsters though. In fact, some of the recent animated movies go back and retcon previous series and movies that dealt with supernatural threats into being ambiguous or outright fake - there are recent sequels to 13 Ghosts and Zombie Island that do just that.
Wow, thanks for the background information. That is actually pretty interesting that they have tried to retcon previous material. It seems like there's really not much point in doing that since there's clearly all kinds of chronology problems across the franchise that don't support an "it's all canon" viewpoint.

It's funny how as a kid I thought it was lame that the monsters always turn out to be fake, but as an adult the idea of them dealing with real monsters is actually what seems kind of lame. The show is kinda meant to be about mysteries.

Does the most recent interation of the show (Scooby Doo And Guess Who) just have mysteries, or are there real supernatural threats?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Does the most recent interation of the show (Scooby Doo And Guess Who) just have mysteries, or are there real supernatural threats?

The monsters in Guess Who are generally fake, although due to it being a crossover series (inspired by The New Scooby Doo Movies from the 70s in several ways) you get an episode with Wonder Woman or Flash and they have super powers.

Oct 25, 2017
Like mentioned above 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (1985). Several of the movies following that series also had real monsters, like Ghoul School and the relectant Werewolf. The best one of this is probably Zombie Island (1998), although it's written like it's the first time they're dealing with the supernatural.

Most of the recent animated content still is focused on fake monsters though. In fact, some of the recent animated movies go back and retcon previous series and movies that dealt with supernatural threats into being ambiguous or outright fake - there are recent sequels to 13 Ghosts and Zombie Island that do just that.
So many people keep saying Return to Zombie island undid the original, in the movie its literally just Velma in denial about supernatural elements and because Mystery Inc is retired she thinks its "the one that got away"

Movie was garbage regardless

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing they had no confidence in this to do well.
Didn't Trolls 2 do very well? With millions of kids stuck at home, this feels like a better idea than waiting for theaters to reopen than having all those postponed movies being released at once and clients not necessarely feeling safe.
You're seeing kids movies going this route because kids movies have lots of merchandising and tie-ins associated with them. There's a ton of stuff that was all laser-coordinated to hit around the time the film was supposed to hit theaters; Delaying the movie is one thing, but hitting the brakes on all the ancillary marketing would have been impossible without many months of lead time.

So either they have a bunch of merchandise on shelves that ends up being clearanced out before anyone has seen the actual movie, or they send it to streaming and salvage it as best they can.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're seeing kids movies going this route because kids movies have lots of merchandising and tie-ins associated with them. There's a ton of stuff that was all laser-coordinated to hit around the time the film was supposed to hit theaters; Delaying the movie is one thing, but hitting the brakes on all the ancillary marketing would have been impossible without many months of lead time.
I wonder why none of the superhero movies are getting a digital release. Certainly they also have pretty extensive merchandising tie-ins.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, kinda surprised people don't like it
I'm really surprised people are taking a cynical /co/ users recollection of test screening at face value. Like even if the plot is accurate, there's definitely a difference between seeing a summary vs actually watching the movie. Like, Warner Animation Group might not be lighting the box office on fire but they're outings so far have been decent at worse.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder why none of the superhero movies are getting a digital release. Certainly they also have pretty extensive merchandising tie-ins.
Not to the same level. For example black widow has a LEGO set coming but it's only one and it's not any different than the main LEGO marvel line. It's also a focused wave in their action figure line but again it's still comic book so it's not as big an issue either. Whereas these kids movies have more independent lines

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I was gonna say, I'm kinda surprised Black Widow got pushed for that reason. There's a bunch of figures for that showing up at retail now, which are probably going to limp along with nobody having seen the movie.

But BW stuff and the amount it was projected to sell was surely a lot less than outright kids movies, and almost certainly less than most Marvel tentpoles. You have POPs and the Marvel Legends line and some odds and ends and that's about it. Trolls and Scoob had whole suites of toylines from figures to vehicles to games, plus stationary, party goods, apparel, etc etc etc, not to mention cross-promos with snacks/fast food that were booked way ahead of time and can't be moved.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

So either they have a bunch of merchandise on shelves that ends up being clearanced out before anyone has seen the actual movie, or they send it to streaming and salvage it as best they can.

I dunno man, a lot of the big hitters that were due soon have been moved, Soul is in November now taking Raya's slot, Minions 2 moved to 2021, Peter Rabbit 2 moved all the way to January, that ones the most bizarre to me, all the merch was basically there, and honestly, that film needs an Easter Release. Why you moving it from Easter to JANUARY of all months.

Don't tell me it's the work of.

giphy.gif

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno man, a lot of the big hitters that were due soon have been moved, Soul is in November now taking Raya's slot, Minions 2 moved to 2021, Peter Rabbit 2 moved all the way to January, that ones the most bizarre to me, all the merch was basically there, and honestly, that film needs an Easter Release. Why you moving it from Easter to JANUARY of all months.

Don't tell me it's the work of.
Those films having a few months more lead time to stop or delay things from getting to stores and to negotiate moving deals around. Maybe not all of it, but enough that it's not all a total loss.

Or in some cases it's down to them simply not being all that affected by merchandising anyway. I don't imagine Soul or Peter Rabbit 2 toys were gonna have a big footprint, with or without the movies.