• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Warner Bros. has decided to send its animated film Scoob! straight to premium on-demand, versus waiting for theaters to reopen en masse.

The studio announced Tuesday that the Scooby Doo movie will become available both to rent and to buy in the home on May 15 for $19.99 and $24.99, respectively. The rental period is 48 hours.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Warner Bros. Sending ‘Scoob!’ Straight to On-Demand in May

Warner Bros. has decided to send its animated film 'Scoob!' straight to premium on-demand, versus waiting for theaters to reopen en masse once the coronavirus pandemic begins to subside.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Should have made it cheaper, I think they would have reached a lot more parents at $9.99.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how lukewarm (at best) reaction to the trailers have been this was probably an easy decision to make. I doubt theater chains will miss the loss.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Warner Bros. Sending ‘Scoob!’ Straight to On-Demand in May

Warner Bros. has decided to send its animated film 'Scoob!' straight to premium on-demand, versus waiting for theaters to reopen en masse once the coronavirus pandemic begins to subside.
In March, theater owners were angered when Universal announced it was breaking the theatrical window in order to make Tours World Tour available both in the home and in any theaters that remained open.

tours world tour?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Direct-to-video has been Scooby Doo's real home ever since Kids' WB! folded, so it's only fitting.
b03ad2_7391112.png

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think they picked that price to entice people to buy it knowing kids can play it over and over again for just $5 more.
Yes, but it doesn't feel impulse buy territory for a kids movie. If they can rent it out to 500 people at $9.99 versus 200 people at $19.99. Of course, they are probably smarter, but it feels a tad too high to be convincing. On the other hand, it is new kids movie in a time you can't get those anywhere else.

I suppose they means Trolls World Tour

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Seems where this is all going but even still, that's a surprise.

I wonder what this means for WAG's potential Hanna-Barbera cineverse?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At what point did Scooby Doo switch from being a show about fraudulent paranormal activity to being a show about real honest-to-god ghosts and monsters? As a kid it seemed like every story was about some phony haunting, but when I get glimpses of it now the show very much seems to involve them actually battling monsters and demons and stuff.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At what point did Scooby Doo switch from being a show about fraudulent paranormal activity to being a show about real honest-to-god ghosts and monsters? As a kid it seemed like every story was about some phony haunting, but when I get glimpses of it now the show very much seems to involve them actually battling monsters and demons and stuff.
Outside of 13 Ghosts, Mystery Inc., the first live-action film and the first couple of DTV films it's always just dudes/dudettes in masks.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
the Scooby Doo movie will become available both to rent and to buy in the home on May 15 for $19.99 and $24.99, respectively. The rental period is 48 hours.
Okay. What kind of crazy person would go, "Yes, I'll rent this for 48 hours for $19.99 THAT'S fine, but NO $24.99 IS TOO MUCH"?

If you're going to spend that much on this you might as well spend the other $5.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

My initial thoughts, this was gonna launch their animated universe, what does it mean

Also surprised didn't hold out and make it an HBO Max launch event

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. What kind of crazy person would go, "Yes, I'll rent this for 48 hours for $19.99 THAT'S fine, but NO $24.99 IS TOO MUCH"?

If you're going to spend that much on this you might as well spend the other $5.
If you have no plans of watching it again, might as well save $5 that you could spend on takeout or something.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I was hoping this meant HBO Max early release... this film is so insane I genuinely want to see it, even if it's a train wreck.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017

This. Do they really start their cinematic universe with something they send straight to digital?

Hopefully they realized how stupid that plot of the movie is and gave up on it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WTF that summary sounds kind of awesome.

I'm just saying the plot summary of Mystery Inc. would sound pretty bizarre but it turned out great execution wise.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this has killed another would-be cinematic universe.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

p502381_b_v8_aj.jpg

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This is the second animated movie to go straight-to-streaming.

Given that last year wasn't very hospitable to non-Disney/Pixar animated movies, it's probably going to be the biggest category of films to skip theaters.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Like mentioned above 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (1985). Several of the movies following that series also had real monsters, like Ghoul School and the relectant Werewolf. The best one of this is probably Zombie Island (1998), although it's written like it's the first time they're dealing with the supernatural.

Most of the recent animated content still is focused on fake monsters though. In fact, some of the recent animated movies go back and retcon previous series and movies that dealt with supernatural threats into being ambiguous or outright fake - there are recent sequels to 13 Ghosts and Zombie Island that do just that.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, summer movie season is definitely a no-go for 2020, no matter when movie theatres reopen. You won't see blickbuster released until Fall at the earliest.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question. Was there a reason they got rid of the old gang to make Shaggy, Daphne, Scooby and crappy the main characters?
No idea, but they probably just felt they were unnecessary since Fred is easily the blandest of the five outside some select series (namely A Pup Named and Mystery Inc.) and Velma wasn't "hot" like Daphne (and even she wasn't present in some of the series preceding 13 Ghosts), while Shag and Scoob were the obvious heart of the franchise and Scrappy was actually pretty popular back when he was first introduced.