• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
My HP lore or interest is limited but is this all OC as far as story goes? I think (I might be wrong) that this is based on some random book from HP universe? Why the fuck would they make five movies, aside to milk this to high heavens.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Not sure why they don't just create a new cast of kids going to Hogwarts (post HP series) and tell their story. That's what everyone loves, kids going to classes, quidditch, magical school, etc. Tell some original new stories not beholden to the original books/cast.

This would be a perfect HBO show. Multiple school years, one overarching villain not on Voldemorts scale or new villain/conflict every season.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when the script leaked like a year ago? That was a fun time.

I will always love the second movie for giving me the moment of "… that wasnt the Titanic, was it?" I don't think I could have dreamed up something as insane on acid. It truly and masterfully made me leave my body.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
My HP lore or interest is limited but is this all OC as far as story goes? I think (I might be wrong) that this is based on some random book from HP universe? Why the fuck would they make five movies, aside to milk this to high heavens.

the main character and the title of the film series were the names of a text book and its author, and instead of making a series of fun little adventure movies about chasing magical beasts or animal preservation they decided the text book author should be a central player in Wizard World War II (which was technically Wizard World War 1 which itself was largely an offhand reference about what the Wizards were doing during the 1940s).

setting aside rowling being an increasingly loud absolute shithead (which shouldn't really be set aside because it's an integral part of all this), it's actually genuinely impressive how badly they've handled the harry potter extended universe

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like wishing ill on any person's work (and jobs), even when originating from a monster like Rowling, as they're produced by hundreds of normally, hopefully non-monstrous people.

But in this case, seriously, fuck JK Rowling. I grew up poring over the HP series and films and it honestly makes me feel kind of gross. Can't say I'd be upset seeing this one bomb hard.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The first one was honestly kind of decent and fun. The created a very fun charachter with Newt. But they ended up completely and absolutely shitting the bed with the second one. That might have been the worst big budget film I've seen in the cinemas. Absolutely god awful. Unfortunately I also had the displeasure to watch the third one, it's not as bad as the second one but it's still absolutely baffling they managed to release yet another piece of shit.

The world would be a better place if those last two will be canceled.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Does Grindelwald still want to stop WW2?

I didn't even get that from this movie. It really felt like such a detour just to move the plot an inch forward. Jude Law does a good job as Dumbledore and while the movie tries to focus on him it feels like it's still dragging a suitcase full of baggage from the previous movies (pun intended). Too many threads and they move no where interesting.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
text book author should be a central player in Wizard World War II (which was technically Wizard World War 1 which itself was largely an offhand reference about what the Wizards were doing during the 1940s)
Lol wut
I will probably never watch any of those so... how the hell does that tie in with "Fantastic Beasts"?
I do wonder if they will try rebooting the OG HP at some point.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
they cut the graphic 40 minute sex scene and replaced it with the author looking directly into camera and delivering a transphobic rant
I would have preferred the tantric sex over that 😭

This movie is wierd because it's about them but because it juggles so many other things it's just lost in the shuffle. The whole Grindelwald/Dumbledore relationship is explained very simply. They try to put some weight on it in the same way the unbreakable bond was a huge fucking deal in Half Blood Prince but it's not effective at all here.

Newt kind of matters in the same way the others on the team do. They are just there but you never know why they were chosen. Newt probably for his relationship with Dumbledore as someone he could trust but ultimately it doesn't feel critical. None of them on the team feel like they were chosen for a specific reason or benefit. Again, when you compare it to the Order of the Phoenix where the team makes sense, how do they repeat something similar with a worse execution?

JK Rowling is a hack, so I guess I'm not surprised that many of these things just don't work at all. I feel like if a more competent writer had been behind the wheel, things could have worked better.

That is a real shame about Newt and everybody else.

I remember reading the leaked script and the answer is no and no
So lame.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lol wut
I will probably never watch any of those so... how the hell does that tie in with "Fantastic Beasts"?
I do wonder if they will try rebooting the OG HP at some point.
They try and shoehorn a magical creature into the plot of the movies to make it "fit". The third movie involves a magical creature that is part of the villains ridiculous and convoluted plan.
because apparently the creature will bow down to whoever is going to be the next leader of the wizard community.
Yes it's as stupid as it sounds and gets even stupider

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The first film could've been a completely fine start for a series of globetrotting magical adventures. But instead they felt the need to combine the franchise with a Dumbledore origin story.

Always shoulda been Indiana Jones with wizards.

I thought the first was a lot of fun, honestly probably one of my favorite HP-world movies. The series should have just been about Newt going on weird adventures and finding weird creatures though (you know... like the name suggests), like a wizard Indiana Jones (and we definitely didn't need 5 movies of that).

They had the formula down pat with 1 - here is a part of the world whose Wizarding World you didn't see in HP, here's some weird creatures that live there, shenanigans happen, everything is okay again. I just really like Newt as a character.

I don't even know how they messed this series up so badly. Yes, I know Rowling is a shitty writer but the title gives you the story. It's called "Fantastic Beasts" so make magical creature Ghostbusters with a conservationist as their lead.

This series should have been some kind of Wizarding Dr. Dolittle and I would have been totally fine with it. Instead they pulled a Hobbit and shoved a whole bunch of extra stuff into what should have been a very brisk simple set of movies (or maybe just one movie?)

I feel like now would had been a perfect time for a talented creative team who has or was working on a similar concept, to come in with their own dueling film (series). Would had been a perfect way to completely steal FB's/JKR's/Yates' thunder (…what little of it there was, based on how this film is predicted to perform) and show reviewers and audiences alike, this is how you make a film that actually delivers on such a premise. (And without the baggage of Rowling's association + creative input to boot.)

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
This would be a perfect HBO show. Multiple school years, one overarching villain not on Voldemorts scale or new villain/conflict every season.
Totally agree. Sort of what the first few HP books actually were with a villain/conflict each school year/book.

Each season is a year or two of school for the kids with a new conflict. Set it after HP books with a new cast of kids. Easy and would probably print money if you ask me. Doesn't need to have a giant Voldemort baddie overarching the series.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like now would had been a perfect time for a talented creative team who has or was working on a similar concept, to come in with their own dueling film (series). Would had been a perfect way to completely steal FB's/JKR's/Yates' thunder (…what little of it there was, based on how this film is predicted to perform) and show reviewers and audiences alike, this is how you make a film that actually delivers on such a premise. (And without the baggage of Rowling's association + creative input to boot.)
I mean, I think this is what Disney is trying to accomplish with the Percy Jackson D+ series.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
What you want is The Magicians TV series, it was magical

Flueswonkler

Mar 15, 2022
And it seems like such an obvious thing to do, doesn't it? In a way, I'm glad they haven't, though. I'm not really interested in anything HP related until Rowling is no longer involved.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the whole JK Rowling, even if the trailer looked interesting, the first 2 movies were so criticized that I fail to see a point on catching up with those movies in the hope than this one is good

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not watching it, but I'm sure it will probably do decently at the international box office. Crimes did ok even with the bad word of mouh.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
God, imagine if Sonic beats FB's OW in its second week.

I mean, it probably won't and Beasts needs to do far more than just that to be considered a success, but man.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Looking at a 40 million debut, down from the previous films $62 million.

variety.com

Box Office: ‘Fantastic Beasts 3’ Aims for $40 Million Domestic Debut

"Fantastic Beasts 3" will duel against "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" to lead domestic box office charts.

OOF.

Yeah, there was no recovery from FB2.

The next logical step WB will take is try to Force Awakens that shit. Which will be hilarious given how reviled Cursed Child is.

The correct course of action is take a break, try to take the IP from Rowling and focus on TV. They'll do none of those.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at a 40 million debut, down from the previous films $62 million.

variety.com

Box Office: ‘Fantastic Beasts 3’ Aims for $40 Million Domestic Debut

"Fantastic Beasts 3" will duel against "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" to lead domestic box office charts.
giphy.gif

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
OOF.

Yeah, there was no recovery from FB2.

The next logical step WB will take is try to Force Awakens that shit. Which will be hilarious given how reviled Cursed Child is.

The correct course of action is take a break, try to take the IP from Rowling and focus on TV. They'll do none of those.
Literally impossible, and they'd be fools to try and buy it. She was, rightfully or wrongfully, very clever and retained complete ownership, she'll never relinquish it.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017

My theory is that after the final HP movie came out Warner Bros went to JK Rowling begged her to come up with something new they could film to bring in the $$$$ and she came up with some spinoff based off of Fantastic Beasts. Nobody really wanted to or cared about making these movies except for $$$ and it shows in the haphazard way they are just making jumping from plotline to plotline as they go.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Literally impossible, and they'd be fools to try and buy it. She was, rightfully or wrongfully, very clever and retained complete ownership, she'll never relinquish it.
We don't know what the deal is with WB, but she definitely doesn't have full ownership over it. The 1st page of all new edition's clearly states "harry potter characters names and related indicia are copyright and trademark of warner bros". No mention of Rowling.

They could take it from her if they really wanted.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know what the deal is with WB, but she definitely doesn't have full ownership over it. The 1st page of all new edition's clearly states "harry potter characters names and related indicia are copyright and trademark of warner bros". No mention of Rowling.

They could take it from her if they really wanted.
That would certainly be an interesting court case to watch play out, for sure.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess Rowling might be up for selling if WB offered enough cash, but I don't think I'd call that a happy resolution.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is there another book series about the similar concept of Fantastic Beasts that could be adapted? They'd also need a big budget.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
As opposed to the pr chaos of Rowling being a TERF piece of shit?

Seriously. at this point their best bet is to fuel the George Lucas-y flames of a "FB was her fault, she's out of touch with the fans and her own work" narrative and then use that outsider pressure for whatever clause in the agreement lets them ditch her on grounds of her weakening the IP, even if it includes paying her.

That way you get her out of the way and no longer deal with her TERF shit while letting them do the whole "Here's HP just the way you remember" Force Awakens bullshit in a couple of years after putting the thing on ice.

If they didn't write out a way to ditch her no matter how unlikely in the original agreement then they're the biggest idiots.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Sadly most people don't care about trans rights. A lot of people care about Harry Potter and a lot of people would view it more as a evil corporation trying to steal his poor woman's life's work because of Money and a CANCEL CULTURE!!!

Like I said, not if WB itself does to JK what Disney did in 2015 to George Lucas.

Just straight up feed the narrative that her input sucks now and we're better without her. Because it does.

You're absolutely right on people being selfish shits tho.