• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I went from not buying this Hogwarts game to now not buying any games by WB. I'm also going to be looking at things I have previously bought, are continuing to buy or planning to buy from WB as a whole and put a stop to that too. Honestly, these corporations are so big and use so many brands that it's hard to tell where your money goes these days, but I'll try my hardest to avoid WB because I don't think handwaving Rowling's views is acceptable considering the reach she has and the harm she is able to cause.

I know I'm just one person and I'm sure there are plenty of smug people out there who will tell me that I won't make a difference. Maybe. But I can still choose where and what I buy and I don't think I could look my trans friends in the eyes if I continued to directly or indirectly funnel money to JKR, her enablers or her apologists.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I have to agree with him. She is entitled to her opinion and is free to express it. Just like how I am glad she's exposed herself so I know to avoid buying anything she puts out there no matter what it is.

It's so annoying and frustrating seeing people give her a free pass because she wrote some books they grew up with.

We also have the right to boycott anything she does and call her out on her BS.

JKR can FO.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I get that he's desperately trying to damage control, and this is just an attempt to keep the shareholders' plates spinning, but he would have better served himself and the interests he represents by saying nothing at all. Glad to see this example of the typical "nothing to do with me guv'nor" approach has rightly blown up in his face.

Also, just wanted to say thanks to whomever posted the Mermaids piece. I'd not read it prior to opening this thread, and it's excellent.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
"I may not agree with her, and I might not agree with her stance" is 100% code for "I agree with her but I'm not stupid enough to say so".

At no point in that statement is there even a degree of repudiation. This corporate asshole can't even bring himself to say "I disagree".

Fuck this TERF defending piece of shit, fuck WB Games, and fuck anyone who supports transphobia through their words, deeds, or purchasing decisions.

ResignedBark

Banned
May 4, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
Agree or not, JK Rowling would likely consider herself to be on the side if human rights herself just as many posters here consider her to be a threat to human rights. Even though the matter of trans rights is so heavily infected, it seems insane that any attempt at discussion or different view on what is medically ethical etc is to be met with just fuck this and fuck her. It seems somewhat of a medieval approach in comparison to accepting that views differ and try to engage with a person on an intellectual level. I have a hard time seeing how kneejerk responses such as those in this thread actually serves to advance trans rights in our societies, it seems that it might just have the opposite effect?

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Agree or not, JK Rowling would likely consider herself to be on the side if human rights herself just as many posters here consider her to be a threat to human rights. Even though the matter of trans rights is so heavily infected, it seems insane that any attempt at discussion or different view on what is medically ethical etc is to be met with just fuck this and fuck her. It seems somewhat of a medieval approach in comparison to accepting that views differ and try to engage with a person on an intellectual level. I have a hard time seeing how kneejerk responses such as those in this thread actually serves to advance trans rights in our societies, it seems that it might just have the opposite effect?

Fuck this, fuck her. she can't be engaged on an intellectual level because she has no interest in it. it's not the place of a cis woman with no knowledge of medicine or trans issues to debate what's ethical. she needs to shut the fuck up.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I know you're banned, but for any other trolls who might come out the woods, reputable trans supporting organizations like Mermaids in UK have TRIED to be in contact with her but she ain't interested. She is filled with her hate towards trans people. Fuck her, fuck anyone who tries to both sides or deflect from this issue or claim this is just a difference in opinions.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
kukp_st_tng_capt_picard_facepalm_bust_bronze.jpg

This thing with a little plaque that reads "For fuck sake...-award"

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sadly I have to agree with him. She is entitled to her opinion and is free to express it.
I take issue with this. The rest of your post is great, thank you, but it's beyond opinion. She is actively using her time, money, and platform to spread Terf views and to normalize them. It has had the effect of trans legislation in the U.K. getting rolled back, young trans people self-hurting, and mainstreaming views the U.K. already has major issues with. That is not having an opinion and expressing it.

As much as I don't like him and avoid his stuff for it, and you can argue it spreads and normalizes anti-trans ideas Chappelle is "an opinion and he expresses it" but last I checked other than his comedy or when asked he doesn't literally crusade against trans people and trans rights, he just doesn't like us and has made sure everyone knows that.

But JK is specifically crusading against trans people and rights and has been linked to adverse affects on the community.

Or as I have said in other places, lots of creators are probably bigots, but she is the only creator I know of that uses her money fame and reach to spread that bigotry and hurt those she is bigoted against.

And I am not defending Dave, he's shit too, fuck him.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
"I may not agree with her, and I might not agree with her stance" is 100% code for "I agree with her but I'm not stupid enough to say so".
Yuuup. It isn't really fooling anyone, is it?
How he would feel if her """opinion""" was "I hate David Haddad and he shouldn't exist"?
Honestly a fair question, but if he is as much of a corporate ghoul as he sounds like... maybe he'd still give a similar statement.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The terrible fact behind this weak, nothing statement is that it's still mostly acceptable to be a transphobic piece of shit; he wouldn't say this about racism or homophobia. That is certainly not to say either of those is "over" to any extent, of course. It simply shows how tragically extra-vulnerable transgender people are in our society, how little protection there is, and how very far we have to go to change that.

The hate speech Rowling has been spewing is not a valid opinion and not acceptable in any sense.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I take issue with this. The rest of your post is great, thank you, but it's beyond opinion. She is actively using her time, money, and platform to spread Terf views and to normalize them. It has had the effect of trans legislation in the U.K. getting rolled back, young trans people self-hurting, and mainstreaming views the U.K. already has major issues with. That is not having an opinion and expressing it.

As much as I don't like him and avoid his stuff for it, and you can argue it spreads and normalizes anti-trans ideas Chappelle is "an opinion and he expresses it" but last I checked other than his comedy or when asked he doesn't literally crusade against trans people and trans rights, he just doesn't like us and has made sure everyone knows that.

But JK is specifically crusading against trans people and rights and has been linked to adverse affects on the community.

Or as I have said in other places, lots of creators are probably bigots, but she is the only creator I know of that uses her money fame and reach to spread that bigotry and hurt those she is bigoted against.

And I am not defending Dave, he's shit too, fuck him.

Just to add some clarify she shouldn't be using public platforms for it either. I'm hoping some people can help her see the errors of her way.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It might be an "opinion" but it's also hate speech. Awful response and not a cent of my money will go towards this or her or anything she touches.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'd play this if they added trans characters and openly made this world trans positive, I think that would be a great counter move and give HP trans fans the chance to enjoy the world and still feel included and respected. But that's not going to happen because JK has too much power.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The whole opinion angle is such trash. It's so easy to counter, there's a ton of examples that make that whole ""argument"" falls apart on these topics. "Gay people are gross! - just my opinion bro" yeah sure buddy, like that makes it any less revolting.

Fuck Terfs, seriously.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The least they could do is say in no uncertain terms, that they denounce Rowling's transphobia, fully support trans people, and commit to donating double the amount of her royalties to a trans charity.

This is a bad statement. Wasn't meant to be a public statement, but is obviously still indicative of the direction they're going.
Which is the usual cowardly bullshit one of trying to make it go away ASAP while trying to limit damage done to themselves.
In doing so they're rationalizing supporting horrible fucking people.

I will not buy the game, or this bad, desperate excuse that it's fine to work with or otherwise support horrible people as long as you say you may not agree with their hateful opinions that are harming and killing people, but it's their right to cause this suffering.
Like, fuck you David Haddad. And fuck WBIE's most senior executive leadership.

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Yeah, she's a private citizen with a right to HAVE an opinion. Spouting said opinion, when it jumps into hate speech is another matter, and law enforcement should start looking into it. So...

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The real problem with that statement is that we all know the real problem is not just JK Rowling's opinions (which are really really abhorrent) but that she's acting on them. It's her actions against trans people that are the problem, labelling it as "opinions" makes it seem like she's not playing an active role in trying to take human rights from trans people. Which is what she is doing.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The whole opinion angle is such trash. It's so easy to counter, there's a ton of examples that make that whole ""argument"" falls apart on these topics. "Gay people are gross! - just my opinion bro" yeah sure buddy, like that makes it any less revolting.

Fuck Terfs, seriously.

Yup anyone who is downplaying it needs to consider how they'd react if these "opinions" were about black people or gay people or hell, even cis women.

What they're ultimately saying by supporting it as an "opinion" is that trans folk are a political sticking point or worse, rather than people.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
My opinion is that you and that fucking asshole should evaporate from this planet kkthnxbye

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
She has crossed a line IMO.

I can accept that certain creators have really questionable positions and beliefs. Hell, as a sci fi fan I'm almost convinced there isn't one sci-fi author or show runner with some weird belief.

However she is actively antagonistic and is using her platform to warp a lot of young minds, not to mention that she is also actively political. It's a big problem.

Tidus9000

Oct 27, 2017
He clearly doesn't agree with her but I feel this is all he can say without getting sued by Rowling's lawyers and losing his job.

For sure but i'd take it one step further "I don't agree with her but jesus christ look at all this fucking money!" it just shows how much of a show diversity is to some people. When it's a case of doing the right thing vs having lots of money, WB chose lots of money

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I mean what are we even expecting from a fucking executive. He doesn't give a shit and anything short of canceling the game so that JK is not getting anything from it wouldn't do much either.

This time the power really lies in the vocal minority, which those that won't buy the game likely are. It has to be absolutely clear that supporting anything that has her name attached to it is supporting the ongoing transphobic attacks on trans people.

Nov 4, 2017
Chucklefish should make a really strong pro-trans stance to counter this, and become the game of choice for people who want a magic school game that doesn't support bigotry. Do eeeeeeeeeeet.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
"I may not agree with <denial of basic human rights>, but it's her right to <deny basic human rights>."

Bad take, obviously. The "may" in there ain't slick either.

Oct 25, 2017
Do the people posting some variation of "well he had to say this he's an executive" you know he didn't literally have to say this right or you people just fucking dense

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not touching anything to do with Harry Potter, ever. Not a huge loss as I was never into the IP, sucks for those for whom it was beloved that its creator is such a petty, ignorant, bigot.

I know a few people who have a very deep love of the IP, it brought them not only entertainment but a community. Some of them are LGBTQ+ folk, and for them this must feel like a punch in the gut.

It's pretty sad how this has all panned out.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
try to see the positive site: at least we will all have it warm this winter burning our harry potter books, right?.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Well whether you agree with it or not, hate speech is absolutely covered under the constitution's first amendment and this has been protected multiple times by the Supreme Court.

In any case, the response by WB is about as spineless as you'd expect.

JK Rowling is British and lives somewhere in the UK where they do actually have laws against hate speech.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I am mildly worried that by posting the below I am opening myself to hate but want to share my thoughts.

I am still deeply confused on why she has received such a backlash. I cannot find anything hateful or illogical in the statements that she has made. At least the original one — was it glib? Yes but not hateful.

The response seems to apply the antiquated colorblind approach to race towards gender. Being unable to say unequivocally that a trans-woman and a woman do not have the same lived experiences seems disrespectful to both. Trans people have a disconnection betweeen their biology at birth. I would imagine that is a deeply traumatic experience that no one can fully understand unless they are trans.

Long personal story to follow.

I grew up in a fairly segregated area of Ohio and did not really have any black friends growing up. I never really thought one way or the other about race except that racism was ignorant. I have no connection to my race that is meaningful in any sense that I am able to recognize.

fast forward to 2011: I met my future wife online (craigslist. You can judge us. In my defense her ad was cute.). Shortly after meeting I stayed at her grandmothers house overnight — South Memphis . We went somewhere and I forgot my wallet. She wanted me to go back — could t understand why. She was concerned we would be stopped by the police and I wouldn't have a license. Of course my thinking is I can just tell him who I am and he will be fine. It was at that point I realized we lived in different worlds in some ways.

For my wife being black is a great sense of pride. It is part of her identity. I cannot relate. I do not feel any connection to a distinct cultural heritage related to my race. My family are hill people from West Virginia (only went twice in my life). Just the thought of going there makes my skin crawl. Whereas for my mother it is a great sense of pride and she loves her heritage.

CRUX: not recognizing any difference in experience between people who have different experiences in life seems counter-intuitive and a bit ignorant to me.

If you read this far you get 2 gold star stickers to pin in your mind palace.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I am still deeply confused on why she has received such a backlash. I cannot find anything hateful or illogical in the statements that she has made. At least the original one — was it glib? Yes but not hateful.
Keep your gold stars and educate yourself then.
medium.com

Addressing The Claims In JK Rowling’s Justification For Transphobia

Recently JK Rowling, author of Harry Potter, tweeted some transphobic statements and dogwhistles on Twitter that I have addressed here…

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big difference between "you have a right to state your opinion" and "you have a right to state your opinion without consequence".

You can say whatever you like, but don't go bitching about freeze peach if people get upset at what you say.

And I have a right not to give someone any (more) of my money.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
So he basically agree with her. If he would hardly disagree he would have avoided totally to answer this matter or said he didnt agree.

I wonder it this will affect sales, and if it will, they will understand the sales were affected because of this matter?

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Keep your gold stars and educate yourself then.
medium.com

Addressing The Claims In JK Rowling’s Justification For Transphobia

Recently JK Rowling, author of Harry Potter, tweeted some transphobic statements and dogwhistles on Twitter that I have addressed here…

Thank you I was not aware of the full context. I think the only thing I knew about was her original tweets. I tend to not follow many things very closely. Seems like she (jk) is most likely not coming at it from a recognizing differences point of view.