• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What a fucking tool lol, was better off not saying anything at all.

Her opinions have led to suicide attempts and self-harm in trans children, law reform for trans rights being scrapped, transitioning to be thought of as a dangerous new gay conversion therapy and discourse around trans women and bathrooms to be poisoned. Alongside other instances of harm and a general increase in transphobic rhetoric and push for the rights and healthcare of trans people to be restricted or removed.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well whether you agree with it or not, hate speech is absolutely covered under the constitution's first amendment and this has been protected multiple times by the Supreme Court.

In any case, the response by WB is about as spineless as you'd expect.

Rowling wouldn't be protected by the First Amendment, considering the UK has hate speech laws that can result in imprisonment and fines (most typically the latter though)

Of course given the state of this country and its intrinstic transphobia problem (even our purportedly leftwing newspapers are shockingly outdated) the chance of what she's doing being classified as hate speech is low

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, I don't think I'm buying this game. As good as it could be and as much as my inner kid would enjoy the concept. Nah, plenty of games to play in the backlog and in the next couple of years.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
funny how issues around trans rights are always only an "opinion" that ppl can agree or disagree with when ppl don't have any problems rightfully cutting ties with/calling out otherwise bigoted shits. and with funny i mean fucking depressing im so sick of this shit

if you're gonna say "she has the right to hold her opinions" you should've just kept your mouth shut. its such a fucking spineless response my god. she doesnt have the fucking right to do that when there's trans people she's been actively harming with it for fucking years. how many more trans kids need to self-harm or try to commit suicide due to her own fucking words before ppl will stop being fucking cowards

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Fuck this company, fuck TERFs, fuck this game, and fuck any hopes of me ever buying their games again

Garbage response, if only we could put people to the pyre for allowing shit like this to continue

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is just a bad response. When it comes to basic human rights we don't need any corporate response let alone one that is 100000000% wrong. That's ridiculous.

He should have never said this bullshit.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Most of the people on this forum who were interested in the game will still buy it brand new and some folks will even go as far as to drive by in the thread. Fuck em.

even buying the game used wouldn't be enough tbh, you're still fundamentally engaging with the work/lore of a racist, transphobic piece of shit and contributing to her legacy (fitting title for the game) even if it's not in an explicitly financial sense

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
"Yo, gay people should die

But it's just my opinion! I'm a private citizen! I have a right to hold an opinion!"

/s

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Well whether you agree with it or not, hate speech is absolutely covered under the constitution's first amendment and this has been protected multiple times by the Supreme Court.

In any case, the response by WB is about as spineless as you'd expect.

I know it doesn't in America but I'm not familiar with UK laws. It should be, if you plan to spew out hate, there needs to be consequences you must face.

In my home country (Turkey) free speech doesn't cover hateful and discriminating comments, and it even covers transphobia (though current government is doing its best for it not to). We even had executed a sitting prime minister over antisemitic speeches.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I haven't enjoyed how the last 4 years have normalized being a complete piece of shit as just some 'difference of opinion'.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
that's about as much as you can do as an exec that wants to keep their job. im sure he has plenty choice words about her behind closed doors, but you cannot expect an exec within WB to express those, hell the company at large has a reckoning coming. Singling him out is just picking off a straggler in the larger herd. You could ask why employees are still working on the game, why is anyone associating with the HP brand, why to anything involving Rowling. I'd like for nothing more than the entire empire to turn to ash, but unfortunately that is not the reality. It's going to be extremely interesting to watch coverage of this game and how well it does financially for WB at large. The brand is still strong, name recognition is still huge and unless you're actively keeping children away from discovering the books, they're still going to find them very easily.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
"Ms Rowling is entitled to hold her viewpoints. But to make our own position crystal clear, we at Warner Bros. believe in human rights and equality of all people, no matter your race, religion, sexuality, creed or gender identity. That is not up for debate nor compromise."

And I dont hold a PR degree, but I imagine there's ways to make yourself show some spine in this.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
That's a big yikes.
I bet every trans people working under the Warner Bros games umbrella must feel extremely bad right now

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
even buying the game used wouldn't be enough tbh, you're still fundamentally engaging with the work/lore of a racist, transphobic piece of shit and contributing to her legacy (fitting title for the game) even if it's not in an explicitly financial sense
I don't disagree with you at all. Me saying " don't buy brand new" is the only possible way I can extend an olive branch to folks who don't give a shit about trans people when purchasing video games. It's not great. But it's all I got.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with the "might not" or "may not". They're a private citizen as well, so give they could have given their own damn opinion. Could have tactfully disagreed with her by removing the may/might but still having the spineless out of her having the right to her [harmful] opinions.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are PR responses, and then there is that....

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She is entitled to have her opinions, and I'm entitled to have my unfavorable opinion of her.

I understand that WB is in a bad place with having spent millions of dollars and years of work on this game. I definitely do not envy their situation but at the same time they don't need to try to spin this to not being so bad. Own up to the terribleness of the author and show what you are doing to relay a better message.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it so hard to just stand up for the right thing? Game looks amazing but I'll never financially support cowardice like this.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well, there isn't much he can say tbh, JK can probably cause some serious problems to them if they don't play nice with her (like using her vetting pwoers to leave the game in limbo or something). In this case saying nothing would've been better, this will probably cause more damage than silence.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
"Ms Rowling is entitled to hold her viewpoints. But to make our own position crystal clear, we at Warner Bros. believe in human rights and equality of all people, no matter your race, religion, sexuality, creed or gender identity. That is not up for debate nor compromise."

"And yet we're still gonna pay her royalties, cause Harry Potter is one of our biggest cash cows, and most people will buy this game regardless."

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
lmao what a fucking clown

Good thing they couldn't make a decent LOTR game to save their lives, just makes it easier never to touch a single one of their products

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
While the ideal scenario is a game that either doesn't exist or at least doesn't funnel money into Rowling's pocket, which is impossible given she's alive, I do really wish Warner and co had the guts to double down on trans inclusivity with the project if it absolutely has to exist. Open the game with an explicit statement of inclusivity and support for the LGBT+ community, and build the character creator in such a way that pronouns are detached from physicality. If the game is going to exist at least make it a fuck you to Rowling's ideology.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017

And I dont hold a PR degree, but I imagine there's ways to make yourself show some spine in this.
so then why are you continuing to develop and work with Rowling is the question that would be levied.