• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Per Jason Schreier

Today during a company Q&A, Warner Bros. Games president David Haddad addressed employees' questions surrounding the recent announcement of Hogwarts Legacy and Harry Potter author JK Rowling's anti-trans comments. His comments, per video clip sent to me this afternoon:

EjM0PXlWkAEgFtz

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Absolutely the wrong response. Fuck her, and fuck all TERFs like her.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Ah yes, some rando with <100 followers on twitter sharing their opinion is the same as Rowling sharing hers to well over a million people, right?

I hate this.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
No she does not. Hate speech isn't covered by free speech. She should be in jail for those hateful comments.

Nov 8, 2017
Total stunner that a corporate suit would try to make a diplomatic non-response regarding the owner of the multi billion dollar franchise they obviously weren't going to abandon.

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish this site wouldn't allow promotion of her game, but it is what it is.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
If you buying that Harry Potter game, don't come in here with your, "fuck them fuck that," your words don't mean shit.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
That statement makes no sense whatsover.
If she was on Twitter dehumanizing, say, black people, and he said "she has a right to express her opinion", that guy would be eaten alive.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
To be fair, he couldn't have given a different answer regardless of what he personally believes in.

But it's still a garbage response.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what are they supposed to do in this situation? I truly don't know. It's not like they can cancel the game at this point. I don't know what they should do.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
i know the "what do you expect him to say" crowd will come rolling in anytime soon, missing the point that such a grim and apathetic reality is the entire fucking problem

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool to hold different opinions when it's like "I like this shade of blue better than that one."

But when it's about the personhood of an entire class of human being, especially a class as vulnerable and targeted as the trans community? At that point it's monstrous.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No she does not. Hate speech isn't covered by free speech. She should be in jail for those hateful comments.
Well whether you agree with it or not, hate speech is absolutely covered under the constitution's first amendment and this has been protected multiple times by the Supreme Court.

In any case, the response by WB is about as spineless as you'd expect.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
What did he accomplish with this?
He wanted to say she is entitled to her opinion and also state that he understands the concerns of staff, fans....and the world at large.

His 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th sentences should have been condemning what she said in clear, unmistakable terms.
Then his 8th sentence should have been the token "but she is entitled to her opinion" nonsense if he feels the IP relationship would be at risk.

Just....wow.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, she has a right to hold her opinions, but if he doesn't agree with her then call her out on it.
I understand he's in a place where he can't really say anything against her publicly in an official capacity, but it's another case of "oh she said a bad thing b b but it's just her opinion please buy our game." like the statement WB put out the other day.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
She doesn't have any right to hold opinions that are causing people to kill themselves because of her shitty opinions

Nov 23, 2017
Most of the people on this forum who were interested in the game will still buy it brand new and some folks will even go as far as to drive by in the thread. Fuck em.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
You're right.
He tries to be non-commital, in hopes of hand-waving this away.

But he gave a garbage, weak response.

the only way to be ACTUALLY committal in this situation is making sure miss TERF wizard lady doesn't make a fucking dime from this game, but obviously that's not gonna happen because companies will always value profit over human rights issues

like even if he said "we don't support her views" or whatever, she's still benefitting from this game financially & brand awareness wise. that's the elephant in the room