• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My vote is on the second option because nobody is going to be mad if they just have Grindelwald use some unknown spell or potion that changes how he looks permanently for some reason or other, and hardly anybody will be upset if they recast Depp.

I would accept literally any excuse.

"Grindewald decided to use a mask all the time" fine by me.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
The way JK been writing these mofos they literally could come up with any excuse and just recast him.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Does literally anyone?
I don't see much negativity for the movie online or positivity, honestly, I never see anyone talk about it. It's a Harry Potter movie and it stayed in the general public's conscious for as long as your average movie.

I didn't even realize it had came out until about 2 weeks later.

If it wasn't for the RT thread that was on ERA, I would not know if people liked it or not.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly both Depp and Heard are trash tier human beings. Fuck then both.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
WB is crazy if their think Depp could cause a problem for the movie. If anything they should make him a central piece of the advertising.

His personal problems are a bit complex to even comment tbh.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
WB is crazy if their think Depp could cause a problem for the movie. If anything they should make him a central piece of the advertising.

His personal problems are a bit complex to even comment tbh.
The complexity of his personal problems are why you don't make him a central piece of the advertising. You do that and you are begging for sites to run stories about how problematic it is for you to have him in the movie at all ; let alone front and center for the advertising campaign.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The complexity of his personal problems are why you don't make him a central piece of the advertising. You do that and you are begging for sites to run stories about how problematic it is for you to have him in the movie at all ; let alone front and center for the advertising campaign.

Oh, I agree.
However Depp is still a very beloved person, who has a serious fanbase behind him defending him day and night. Having that said, given all the details we have, it seems both him and wife were victims and abusers, so I dunno where to stand tbh.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Or the next movie. Yates has proven to be something of a hack; a one-trick pony with his best work far behind him.

The franchise is in desperate need of new creative/directorial blood.

His direction wasnt really the Problem with Crimes and he proved that he can pull off amazing movies with the right script. 7, 7-2, Fantastic Beasts all have some great Action and setpieces. The whole suitcase scene in FB especially was beautifully put to Film.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Should've just kept the much better Colin Farrell. Depp added nothing to the role in CoG.
It's such a significant downgrade too, I couldn't believe they decided to go through with it. Farrell was great and I'm at least happy he got to dodge that pile of shit that is Fantastic Beasts 2.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
No sympathy. As others have said, WB seems to be the only ones that are surprised with how this is playing out. Everyone else saw it from a mile away.

The first FB was fine but, between Depp and CoM, WB has enough reason to just cancel this series. It's going nowhere and posses none of the magic of the original movies (and I'm not even a huge fan of them).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'd been under the impression that the Fantastic Beasts series has done plenty on its own to harm the Harry Potter films, not sure why they insisted on Johnny Depp when he hasn't been demonstrated to be a box office draw in years. Either way, going from plans to shoot this summer to fall of next year throws a massive wrench in the works for an underwhelming spin-off franchise that they want two more films from after this third one.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Fairly depressed about the state of HP, lately...
This is my favourite film/book series.

I don't expect greatness, but each film should be more thoughtfully produced.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
It's a film about magic where the character already concealed his identity once.

Plot twist: his depp face wasn't his real one all this time! He actually looks like "insert new actor here"!

Profit.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I thought he was the one that got beat up?

Did the story change?

They're both accusing each other of violence but, since Depp has said he has proof of what she did to him and even put some of it online, Heard has stepped up her accusations.

The hypocrisy of course is that everyone calling for Depp to get fired from these movies isn't exactly calling for Heard to be fired from Aquaman too. Surely if they're both violent domestic abusers, neither should get lucrative movie contracts?

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What if Amber wasn't the victim?
what will happen to her role in the DCEU? will it harm Aquaman 2?
like her terrible acting didn't do that already.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
What happened? Last I heard Depp filed a countersuit against Heard and everyone was back on his side. I thought he had a shit ton of proof.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a shit storm of factors and someone might just be wanting to save their neck by pointing at Depp. They hired him knowing he been like this for a almost 2 decades. He is at the top of the "worse return on investment " list on the regular. They need someone to come in with a clear vision for the brand.

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately cannot think of one reason why they'd tie themselves to Depp of all people. This is all on Rowling/WB. Pick anyone else and you're fine.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're not worried about JK Rowling adding in that Hagrid takes nude walks through the forest in the middle of the night or something?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Crimes of Grindelwald already damaged these prequels beyond repair. The plotline was a mess, characters were either retconned or made less interesting, and the movie was filled with soap opera style twists.

I don't know a single Harry Potter fan that liked the film. It's only going to be diminishing returns from here on out.

Oct 31, 2017
They pretty much hid him away during marketing for the last film and went to great lengths to not mention his character and prompt debate, but how realistic its going to be to continue to marginalise a major character in that way throughout all your marketing for another two films I don't know.

Plus one for bringing Farrell back, its was such a downer at the end of the first movie when they did the reveal. I actually believe that in the original script it wasn't Grindelwald at all but that it was tacked on once they pivoted away from the fantastic beasts angle that they started with and added the extra movies.

I don't know a single Harry Potter fan that liked the film. It's only going to be diminishing returns from here on out.
That was me and my partner, we just didn't bother going and stil haven't seen it, and we've been to the studio tour 3 times! WB need to soft reboot the series with the next entry or its going to be a box office disaster by part 4, the domestic US boxoffice for the last one was already disappointing and that usually gives an indication of whats going to happen worldwide in the future for a film series unless big changes are made.

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Like others have said, the movie quality is doing way more harm than whoever stars in it. I still don't understand why these movies are called Fantastic Beasts, when the "main" plot of them have zero to do with them at all. Newt's book has absolutely zero to do with anything, and the beasts only come into play for the occasional action scene.

Question about the two movies:
In the first movie, why is the court was ready and immediately willing to execute Newt for his relatively small crimes, but evil, mass murdering Grindelwald keeps getting jail time?

Feb 3, 2018
Hey should have gotten Benedict Cumberbatch to play Grindelwald

khan-stid3.jpg

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Just...bring back Collin. He had such a better performance.
He really did. You could actually picture him being able to intimidate when needed, but also be charming enough to turn people to his side. Depp comes flouncing in with that "he's clearly a villain" look and doing the same old performance we've seen from him before...it's goofy, even with the silver tongue spell thingy, or whatever it was he had in the last movie. Farrell was so much better in his scenes. He came off as an actual person, not a daft cartoon character.