• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Story kind of becomes the classic warioware experience after you beat it, all the levels convert to high score based. All Mixed Up has the closest to what you want.

It'd be cool to make a playlist and challenge people on it though, sorta like make-your-own wario cup.
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realize that until now. Is there an option to play competitively with people via Story mode?

The story mode levels just become regular endless modes once it's over, it's not really any different than usual except being in a menu called "Story". Not sure what you mean by versus mode? A few of the variety pack modes are "versus" through random microgames.
I didn't realize that about story mode before, thank you. Versus should be self explanatory, no? Playing through a series of microgames against another player to see who lasts the longest, just like prior games had. I haven't seen all variety has to offer, but most of them seemed like unrelated minigames (ie. the volleyball and battle esque games).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realize that until now. Is there an option to play competitively with people via Story mode?

I didn't realize that about story mode before, thank you. Versus should be self explanatory, no? Playing through a series of microgames against another player to see who lasts the longest, just like prior games had. I haven't seen all variety has to offer, but most of them seemed like unrelated minigames (ie. the volleyball and battle esque games).

Yeah, some of the variety pack modes are just like that, Duelius Maximus is the most "straight" with it.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The story mode levels just become regular endless modes once it's over, it's not really any different than usual except being in a menu called "Story". Not sure what you mean by versus mode? A few of the variety pack modes are "versus" through random microgames.

It's kind of annoying to have to go to one area in story to have an assortment of mini games from all categories.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
9-Volt is the only character that just makes me fucking hate the game for a minute. Garbage design, fuck that character.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Game is great.

Game does not expose its greatness until you've beaten the entire (2 hour long) story.

Game's greatness lies in its ancillary modes and replayability.

I'm not surprised that it reviewed the way it did but I'm shocked that anyone who has played the rest of the series would claim that this one falls short of the others in terms of content.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Wario Cup is really neat. Got into the top 6% if I remember which should be good enough for the week. I could see myself returning each week for this if they remain as interesting as this first one.

I tried out the single player modes like the friendless battle and the three of them are sort of just dull. The friendless battle in particular runs out of new gimmicks pretty quickly and stopped adding new stuff around 100-150 enemies beat, and yet the game wants you to go to 500 for the last related mission. They're the things basically replacing the minigames and I don't want to return to any of them after a first attempt.

You even have
Pyoro as an unlockable character and yet his game doesn't seem to be here anywhere.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Game is great.

Game does not expose its greatness until you've beaten the entire (2 hour long) story.

Game's greatness lies in its ancillary modes and replayability.

I'm not surprised that it reviewed the way it did but I'm shocked that anyone who has played the rest of the series would claim that this one falls short of the others in terms of content.
It is true that it has fewer minigames but for me microgames have much more replay value than before, it seems similar to me in the end.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It is true that it has fewer minigames but for me microgames have much more replay value than before, it seems similar to me in the end.
I feel like I'll be coming backed to the weekly challenges for as long as Nintendo keeps updating the game with new ones. That shit gripped me hard. I played for 2 hours yesterday just trying to get that perfect score. Highest I've gotten was 6262. I'm not done trying yet lmao

I also like most of the multiplayer modes, but there's one problem - unlike other WarioWare games, I feel like the multiplayer in this one requires more onboarding. Like, I can hand a Wii Remote to anyone, start up Smooth Moves, and have a blast - that game is self explanatory. I played this game with a few friends yesterday though, and we ended up switching to Mario Golf instead, because that game is a bit more accessible. We're going to try some more WarioWare at another time, after they've had a chance to play some of the story, because while we all enjoyed the game, it was a bit much for them to take in without any preamble.

All in all though I ended up liking this games gameplay twists and changes a lot more by the end than I thought I would when I first played the demo. I think it's a great direction for the series, and mainly I'd like for them to iterate on this concept and expand their next game significantly with character modifiers, more collectibles, new modes, and a wider slate of mini games. This is the first WarioWare game that I've truly enjoyed since Twisted/Smooth Moves though (even Gold didn't do it for me) and that counts for a lot to me.

Another thing - I saved this for last because it obviously doesn't apply to everyone... but I see a lot of potential in this game as a Discord-friendly MP game that I can just jump into with anyone in the server who wants to join.

I mean obviously the game doesn't ship like that - my plan is, once Metroid Dread is out and I've nabbed myself a copy, I'm going to hack my Switch again (for the first time since Animal Crossing came out), and use system plug-ins or a fast capture card to output video to my PC and stream the game over Parsec. Additional plug-ins will supposedly enable my Switch to accept input from Parsec, essentially turning WarioWare into a sort of Jackbox like game where everyone tunes into my Discord stream and plays using their own controller in their own home. I'm looking forward to trying that out and I think that will significantly extend this games life for me if I can get it to work as well as ppl at GBATemp claim it works.

Not sure if I'll still be able to do weekly challenges after that, but I'm pretty sure that if I hack my Switch correctly, I can keep my official firmware and leave it online, enabling me to play my games normally, only switching to CFW when I want to do CFW stuff.

Last edited:

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I hate 9-Volt but I think he adds a very Nintendo-appropriate element of random bullshit to the whole thing.

A couple of characters in there must have been made with the intention of fucking up your runs intentionally, like the guy who jumps on the ceiling who is absolutely useless at most microgames.

Yort

Oct 28, 2017
I think the character balancing is pretty interesting. I totally disagree that Master Mantis is bad, he's frequently pretty good. And I saw some people complain that Mona is a worse Ashley, but they're still 2 of the best characters, and the boomerang is amazing in a lot of games. 9 volt is often a pain, but some games he trivializes.

So far I've par'd all the Intro and That's Life games in the play-o-pedia and did the high score missions for both those sets in story.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only area this game feels lacking in is the side modes. Smooth Moves will probably remain my favorite in the series because the side modes were fantastic. Most of the ones in this game seem like they won't be fun beyond the first handful of plays.

The number of microgames doesn't feel like a problem imo.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
first im hearing about master mantis being bad, to me hes a better cricket

the one i dont like much is lulu cause she controls weird

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I see some of my friends playing it on twitter but nobody is showing in the friend ranking.
It's ending tomorrow and it looks like I'll be at top 7% with a score of 6380.

Quick edit : hmm it says ranking from September 11, it doesn't update in real time?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's where I think the characters are right now, I think some will move a lot the more experience I get with everyone

S Tier
Wario, Ashley, Penny
A Tier
Jimmy T, Mona, Orbulon, Cricket, Mantis, Lulu, Crygor
B Tier
5 Volt, 18 Volt, Mike, Dribble and Spitz, Red, 9 Volt, Pyoro
C Tier

D Tier
Kat and Ana

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I just beat my record and it updated and showed my friends !

I feel like they're going to permanently put past weeks for the trophies and statut rank level ala Mario Maker 2 speedruns.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
that wind-up microgame needs to just be removed lol

Half the characters can't even do it, especially at level 2 or 3. Maybe more than half lol. It's past being hard to actually impossible.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what is offered in the multiple switch mode? Is it just for playing multiplayer handheld, or is there something else to it?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Beat it and now get to go through all the achievements and dig in. I really love it but wish they'd done the gacha toys again. Even if most of them were silly one off things they gave grinding through bonuses and high scores a more fun purpose than character colors and concept art seem to thus far.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
This is my first Warioware game. I wasn't even clear exactly how these games played before, just vaguley that they were mini game collections. I am loving it! But that inflate game is killing me, it's the only one I've been completely baffled by. What are you supposed to be doing?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is my first Warioware game. I wasn't even clear exactly how these games played before, just vaguley that they were mini game collections. I am loving it! But that inflate game is killing me, it's the only one I've been completely baffled by. What are you supposed to be doing?

You mean the one with the pump? You have to let off it and press it over and over, which is of course kind of awkward with some characters

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
OMG I just noticed that the character selection screen looks like the one in Smash Bros. Ultimate

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember the final rhythm games in WarioWare Shake It and Smooth Moves killed me as a kid.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
If it's the one I'm thinking of, press up (or down) on the yellow inflators, let them refill, then press again.

I get a game like that every so often… the one with the fan and "cover them" made zero sense to me multiple times until I finally went into the playopedia to test it.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Finally — a new game that brings me joy and is pure fun to play. It's been a while! I'm having a blast.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
A couple of characters in there must have been made with the intention of fucking up your runs intentionally, like the guy who jumps on the ceiling who is absolutely useless at most microgames.
Huh? Master Mantis is literally just a better version of Young Cricket. He's there to give you a more consistent playstyle when using smaller teams.

That's probably why there are a few other redundant characters. Dribble & Spitz are just better versions of Kat & Ana, and Ashley is just a better version of Mike.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's so bizarre this game doesn't have a specific mode for playing an assortment of random minigames outside of the story mode. If anything, that's the one thing I expect from Warioware lol

Is there a way to play the Tower in versus mode?
why do people keep saying this. It's the all mixed up tower. How it's been in every game. Like, what am I missing

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually found Mike better than Ashley in a lot of microgames because being able to shoot an upwards projectile while moving anywhere is genuinely all you need in most games. Ashley is more flexible but for like, say, the boss in Intro games Mike is honestly a lot better cuz he can just hit things at a very safe distance compared to Ashley who has to both move and aim.

Sleeper character. A tier.

Also 18-volt is secret best.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
why do people keep saying this. It's the all mixed up tower. How it's been in every game. Like, what am I missing
If you keep reading I was corrected. The first inclination for most people when wanting to play a randomized microgame mode isn't "go to story mode." It's easy to see how it can be perceived at confusing. That wasn't the only way to play random microgames in any previous game.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the roll call credits and staff credits with my gf a few minutes ago. Will say im a little dissapointed with the custscenes this time around coming from the ones from Gold, but nothing too major. Endind story cutscene should come back in the next game (and also more voicework for both like in gold). I did like the dialogue interactions between characters during the story, that was a nice touch we had never seen in the series.

I was incredibly scared of this game missing the song level for a character, but thankfully it happened nearly at the end. Need to listen more to it as the volume of it was pretty low, but seems really catchy.

The game in multiplayer has been a blast, and the final level was challenging and fun.
Also 9 volt is the fucking worse character by a long shot.

Seems the storymode is as short as Gold, so i dont undertand what some revieweres were smoking saying it was a lot shorter. It does seem you can collect less microgames and theres less variety (variety sems to be brought bh the characters), but i liked how the after story game stuff seem to have a ton of unlockables for the characters, achivements and new modes. Thats the place were the game is gonna be long for weeks.

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Hope to pick it up later today or tomorrow, depending on when I'll be done with work. Really looking forward to this, even though there seems to be few (if any?) knick-knacks in this game. They used to be one of my favorite things in the series! Especially the ones in Game&Wario + WarioWare: Twisted.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
really fun to play the main story but all I really wanted was a dedicated 4-player local multiplayer game where you just do microgames, rotating through different combos of 2 people, and see who lasts the longest

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm enjoying the game, can't wait to explore multiplayer a little more. Smooth Moves and Touched remain my favorites.