• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I found both LO and ffxiii to be aggressively mediocre outside the short stories in LO, not sure where this "real ffxiii" stuff started

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great game but it's unfortunate we didn't get a patch for it. I don't agree with the FF meme but it would have been cool to see FF take a direction like this for one entry

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I see all the takes on LO vs FFXIII and none of them are too wrong.

FFXIII is a pure numbered FF in that it tries to push forward with new systems, much better productions values and generally speaking a better package.
But the combat doesn't work very well, characters are meh and story/worldbuilding are ridiculously overdone. With how the game plays, I'm not sure I'd ever replay it (I tried just last year...)

Lost Odyssey is very much a throwback to the days of olde, it offers little originality. It's simply rather well done, with strong direction, music, a classic but well done story and world.
Some parts are not as strong as what SE can offer (designs, production values) and the game suffers immensely - just as much as it benefits - from the Thousand Years of Dreams, because they are that much better written and more interesting than the actual game, creating some insane whiplash.

I have much better memories of LO and I'd rather replay that, but I can see all the ways in which FFXIII exceeds it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As someone with both LO and FFXIII in my backlog, this has been an illuminating thread

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I still keep meaning to replay it but the thought of how dull the combat is and that awful funeral section with the kids always puts me off

It has very different faults to FFXIII but ultimately I think they're both 7/10 games

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
This can never be the "real FFXIII", because whatever way it turns out, FF always pushes boundaries to try new things. That's the essence of the series. You may hate FFXIII, but it did its own thing. And you may love LO, but it's very much a "classic RPG" that doesn't really try anything with the formula. Even the active input during attacks, which was a cool feature, already existed in FFVIII.

Personally, I enjoyed LO, but felt it was a bit boring and eventually dropped it. I tried it again a while ago and couldn't get past the first boss, the combat was too tedious and I simply couldn't be bothered. Best part of the game were definitely the dreams and I enjoyed all the ones I got to unlock in my first playthrough. If one day we get a 360 emulator with a fast forward option, I could consider it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Lost Odyssey is a game I beat, but really struggled to enjoy. The really slow pace of combat, the 'queuing' up of turns rather than just selecting them as they come up, the terrible characters (I think Jansen was the only guy I dug in it, hated the Rugrats kids, hated the wife character, Seth was ok, Kaim was a wet noodle, gold armour guy was unbearable), awful villain and story.

The stuff that stood out was the excellent music and the short stories that pop up now and then, but the short stories really felt like they were written by an entirely different writing team and none of the character development or plot progression carried with it any of the weighty themes expressed in the short stories, save one story which directly tied into some sort of plot thing I am forgetting now.

It was years later I played Nier and saw a game which actually managed to tie in text based adventure into its main story and have it enhance and be enhanced by everything around it, rather than it feeling like this completely separate compartmentalized thing

I also don't like FFXIII, but it put in the groundwork for the FFVII Remake combat system and even by itself the XIII combat was excellent. Bad game with one really high quality feature to recommend it, LO was just kinda meh throughout except for the Uemetsa score. Also like someone else said modern FF is just a series which is constantly shedding its skin trying new things, so I never really saw the 'real FFXIII' thing either. More like it felt like an attempt at aping FFX, but FFX was a lot better.

I dunno, this game always gets brought up around FFXIII and being the 'real FF' but it kinda just seems like a bitter pissing contest between two pretty underwhelming JRPGs during a pretty bad era for JRPG aside from Atlus stuff

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
obligatory post:
EOw0IJyWkAA0gzd
Hahahahahaha

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Beat it when it was released, played it again last year when I picked up a series x, don't remember where I left off though lol.

I was following a guide this time, because my first time through I was missing a chest or two. Bullshit achievement stopped me from getting plat on it lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The stuff that stood out was the excellent music and the short stories that pop up now and then, but the short stories really felt like they were written by an entirely different writing team and none of the character development or plot progression carried with it any of the weighty themes expressed in the short stories, save one story which directly tied into some sort of plot thing I am forgetting now.

They were written by a professional writer who knew the broad strokes of Kaim's personality but Kaim's convenient beginning-of-the-game amnesia removes that version of the character from the bulk of the story, which really sucks.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Is there a single other soul out there who thinks both FFXIII and LO are terrible games? One for being completely by the numbers, the other for thinking people needed fucking 40 hours of tutorial for a so-so combat system.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed it this year and it's still a good game but I still like 13 way more. The combat at least eventually becomes good in 13. LO just is what it is from the first hour all the way through

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a JRPG or a Turn based person at all. FF 13 is one of 2 games where I fell asleep playing. And Penny Arcade and costume quest are the only Turn Based games I played all the way through.

So far I find Lost a odyssey really engaging. I think the way this world is setup and the characters are keeping me engaged. The Skill and GC system are pretty interesting to my novice mind.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God, the first boss. I forgot how unholy busted it was. How the hell did I beat this game the first time around?