• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the first one, but this is pretty fun. Playing with randoms has been good so far.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Hey guys looking for people to play with this weekend - veteran difficulty if possible.

Tag me here and I'll PM you my steam info.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I've only played with bots so far, which is how I played the majority of the first game.

It is significantly harder, which is what I expected to a point given that you start out with shit for equipment. But at the same time it seems way more random than the first game ever was. It took me four tries to beat the farm level, and part of that was due to there only being one (preset) boss spawn where all the previous ones dumped two. And the bots don't seem to be able to do shit against them, as they'll just whiff at the troll and constantly be grabbed by the spawn, which of course heals him. I'm sure with a good team they're more manageable but with AI they're obnoxious battles of attrition.

Same goes for the following level, where I had weird boss spawns two times and then the third time not a single one popped up. Go figure.

Playing Saltzspire and most of the time with the morning star, which is amusing. I'm hoping there's a good armor-piercing weapon for him like the axe in the first game. I know a lot of people hated it, but I loved it.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only played with bots so far, which is how I played the majority of the first game.

It is significantly harder, which is what I expected to a point given that you start out with shit for equipment. But at the same time it seems way more random than the first game ever was. It took me four tries to beat the farm level, and part of that was due to there only being one (preset) boss spawn where all the previous ones dumped two. And the bots don't seem to be able to do shit against them, as they'll just whiff at the troll and constantly be grabbed by the spawn, which of course heals him. I'm sure with a good team they're more manageable but with AI they're obnoxious battles of attrition.

Same goes for the following level, where I had weird boss spawns two times and then the third time not a single one popped up. Go figure.

Playing Saltzspire and most of the time with the morning star, which is amusing. I'm hoping there's a good armor-piercing weapon for him like the axe in the first game. I know a lot of people hated it, but I loved it.
you are equipping your bots? Also your blocking much of the time and or block striking?

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Well, the loot system is so much better than the first game. No more getting useless shit for heroes I don't play.

On the other hand, why the fuck can't I switch between heroes in the inventory/talent/crafting screen? Having to back out of the inventory, then go to the hero selection, then back to the inventory is annoying and just some mind-boggling stupid interface design.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I main Saltz and so far I've found the Morningstar/Flail to be his strongest weapon due to the cleave and that it ignores shields. It staggers quite well also. He does have the ability to use an Axe in this game, just have to wait until you level up high enough to get the crafting base weapon or get one to drop from a loot box.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I main Saltz and so far I've found the Morningstar/Flail to be his strongest weapon due to the cleave and that it ignores shields. It staggers quite well also. He does have the ability to use an Axe in this game, just have to wait until you level up high enough to get the crafting base weapon or get one to drop from a loot box.

My preferred weapon for Victor too. Works great with his Zealot class. It also makes me laugh when this happens:

*Me swinging a literal flail around*
Kerillian: "All that flailing around, but I can't argue with the results"
Me: :|

OP
OP
Isee

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very informative and in detailed review from Karak
If you are unsure what Vermintide 2 is, I'd recommend giving it a watch.

I'd like to add one thing about the sound options: The game supports both DTS Virtual Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Both options produce excellent surround sound on stereo headsets in this game. You can hear if a special enemy is 70° to the right or 120° to the left. Amazing implementation, one of the best I've ever heard for this tech. Many modern, mid-high range z170/270/370 and ryzen boards have pretty good on board sound solutions that support DTS surround sound. Dolby Atmos can be bought from the Windows Store and should work on any device (free 30day trial). If you can, I recommend using one of those options.
Quality wise DTS has a bit better and clearer sound (also depends on your "soundcard"), while Atmos seems to be a bit more precise in positioning. I'm not an audiophile expert, with the best equipment possible though, so... maybe I'm wrong here. Anyway, great sound with both.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
So I keep having a problem in the righteous stand level. For some reason I always get at least one crash. It says I run out of memory. I have 16gb and my memory certainly does not actually run out at all when I check my memory usage.

i7-4790k
gtx970

DarkwaterV2

Oct 26, 2017
The jumping puzzles are okay I guess, but what grinds my gears is the walk back to the start when you fail. It's not exactly Super Meat Boy where the retry is instantaneous.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
The jumping puzzles are okay I guess, but what grinds my gears is the walk back to the start when you fail. It's not exactly Super Meat Boy where the retry is instantaneous.
I really wish they made them less annoying, making platforms bigger and stuff. It isn't fun having to wait 30secs/3mins for people to manage the jumping puzzle to grab a grimoire. Some of the classes can trivialize them(Sienna Battlewizard especially can basically skip all the jumping on all of them I think) but when you don't have these it's pretty annoying and disruptive to the flow of the game. Especially since getting a grimoire has its own penalty already, it's not like the jumping ones reduce health less.

What's been bothering me lately is how often I have my bow equipped, see a rat or whatever about to hit me, hit 1 then hold right click to block, but instead of switching weapons it goes into zooming mode with the bow and I get hit and have to wait to zoom out before I can try switching weapons again. It happens way too often and you lose so much hp to that crap it's annoying.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this after seeing a few giant bomb videos, and after a dozen games or so, I'm finally completing missions with randoms. Digging this but I wish this was out on PS4 too, most my friends don't have PCs to play :/

Started looking up the different classes and can't seem to figure out what is good and what is bad. Seems like they made sweeping nerfs recently and all I see is hyperbole on Reddit.

Been trying the elf and mage. Anyone know if spear is good for the elf? What bow is best for her? Also for the mage, is the lvl 12 tank class any good?

Oct 27, 2017

I'd like to add one thing about the sound options: The game supports both DTS Virtual Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Both options produce excellent surround sound on stereo headsets in this game. You can hear if a special enemy is 70° to the right or 120° to the left. Amazing implementation, one of the best I've ever heard for this tech. Many modern, mid-high range z170/270/370 and ryzen boards have pretty good on board sound solutions that support DTS surround sound. Dolby Atmos can be bought from the Windows Store and should work on any device (free 30day trial). If you can, I recommend using one of those options.
Quality wise DTS has a bit better and clearer sound (also depends on your "soundcard"), while Atmos seems to be a bit more precise in positioning. I'm not an audiophile expert, with the best equipment possible though, so... maybe I'm wrong here. Anyway, great sound with both.

Aww hell yeah. I've been jonesing for a review from him to see his thoughts. Thanks!

Dubz

Nov 3, 2017
Los Angeles
That video review above is really good. I definitely recommend watching it if you're on the fence.

I had a great time last night playing with a friend and randoms. The game runs really well, the combat is satisfying, the levels are a really well done, and it's a very pretty game for the amount of stuff that happens on the screen. I've only played recruit so far, but I'm looking forward to leveling up my mains.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shit you are right. I should have said something. God damnit. Thanks for the reminder

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah my site gave it a 5/5 as well. It's a more focused, refined and deeper game than the first in all areas. Tons of secrets, and almost every level has one or two amazing visual set piece moments. Best part for me was how fun and pure it felt. Crazy to see a 30 dollar game with so much content and value compared to most full "Triple A" experiences. All without the shitty business practices.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Bought this after seeing a few giant bomb videos, and after a dozen games or so, I'm finally completing missions with randoms. Digging this but I wish this was out on PS4 too, most my friends don't have PCs to play :/

Started looking up the different classes and can't seem to figure out what is good and what is bad. Seems like they made sweeping nerfs recently and all I see is hyperbole on Reddit.

Been trying the elf and mage. Anyone know if spear is good for the elf? What bow is best for her? Also for the mage, is the lvl 12 tank class any good?
Spear is currently considered the best weapon for elf classes(all of them) by the "good" players. Obviously, it doesn't mean you HAVE to use a spear, a lot of other weapons are good too, I'd say as long as you avoid dual swords and 2h sword you're good(both are fairly mediocre imo). I like dual daggers a lot. Spear main advantage is that it has extended reach, being a spear and all, so you can hit enemies from further, it has built in movement boost during its charged move so you can use it to charge into enemies, then dodge backwards and still hit stuff with the piercing attacks. It's also great for headshots with all the thrusting motions, you can one shot stormvermins if you aim properly(or maybe 2shots depends on power I think).

For bows again kinda matter of taste, I like Longbow the best, Shortbow is a good alternative(more ammo, shoots faster but does less damage per shot), Hagbane is disapointing in the current state imo it has too little ammo and doesn't do enough damage to really be good at crowdcontrol like it should and Hand Xbow is great for Shade(only Shade can use it too). I like longbow because the charged shots do good damage so headshots are instant kills on most stuff including stormvermins, and even body shots do solid damage if you miss.

For mage, Unchained isn't a tank class really. It's like a melee DPS of sort? It feels pretty meh. The good thing is the whole charge up all your bar > press F, but at 25 both Battle Wizard and Pyromancer can do it too and Pyromancer F is like 30secs cooldown so it's a lot better for it(and the ability is also better, heatseeking high damage projectile, great for sniping specials). Both also control their overcharge decently before that, Battle Wizard passive does it automatically and Pyromancer needs the lvl 10 talent that doubles the speed when you have a grimoire debuff. Main issue I have with Unchained is you take overcharge when you take damage, so sometimes you're doing some casting, a rat sneaks behind you, hits you and boom you explode before you can living bomb. If you get pinned by an assassin and people don't help you right away, there's a good chance you'll get up with 100% charge and explode anyway.

Generally speaking, Pyromancer is just a lot better than the other 2 mage classes atm, the F skill is just super good due to low cd and special sniping potential and at lvl 25 you can vent with it so you generally can cast almost all the time.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
After rolling back drivers, I had thought i fixed the performance issues I was having, that weren't there in the beta. Also, tried flipping settiings and switching back and forth between fullscreen and borderless, nothing has worked. Haven't played yet today but I turned some things down to medium before going to sleep last night. Turned down fog and particle effects, since It seemed to tank the most with the Dwarfs fogs ability and when green shit is being sprayed everywhere.

Played with some friends last night and spent over two hours, never completing a map. AI DIrector was being extremely aggressive and honestly mini bosses either have to much health now or AI Director spawns shouldn't happen when fighting the bosses. We were doing the first Act 1 map and the AI Director was sounding the horn literally after leaving the starting alleyway.

Right where you climb over the wall to go to the Portcullis or however it's spelled, the game was spawning a BIle Troll minibosses. In the previous 20 hours I had with this game, albeit with bots, I've never see the AI Director be this aggressive, nor seen a mini boss spawned so early. It was pretty crazy. I wasn't hosting or leader, the other three people were brand new to the game so had zero gear. I think my hero power was like 80 something.

Now, all that said, yes new players for them, so some of them made mistakes but they play similar games, like Left for Dead or Killing Floor. Not exactly one to one compared to WHV2 but the basics are similar with special monsters and bosses and prioritizing monsters.

Interestingly later last night, Myself and a friend tried it with my bots. We still didn't finish that first map because of the aggressive director but man, those mini bosses have way less health with only 2 players and 2 bots.One of the guys said he hasn't completed a map with randoms yet heh.

Basically the feedback I was getting from the three of them was Recuit difficulty seems to be way overtuned, I would have to agree. I understand the veteran playerbase wants the challenge, but that is what the higher difficulties are for.

Game is definitely fun though and that second person felt better after playing with the bots.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Spear is currently considered the best weapon for elf classes(all of them) by the "good" players. Obviously, it doesn't mean you HAVE to use a spear, a lot of other weapons are good too, I'd say as long as you avoid dual swords and 2h sword you're good(both are fairly mediocre imo). I like dual daggers a lot. Spear main advantage is that it has extended reach, being a spear and all, so you can hit enemies from further, it has built in movement boost during its charged move so you can use it to charge into enemies, then dodge backwards and still hit stuff with the piercing attacks. It's also great for headshots with all the thrusting motions, you can one shot stormvermins if you aim properly(or maybe 2shots depends on power I think).

For bows again kinda matter of taste, I like Longbow the best, Shortbow is a good alternative(more ammo, shoots faster but does less damage per shot), Hagbane is disapointing in the current state imo it has too little ammo and doesn't do enough damage to really be good at crowdcontrol like it should and Hand Xbow is great for Shade(only Shade can use it too). I like longbow because the charged shots do good damage so headshots are instant kills on most stuff including stormvermins, and even body shots do solid damage if you miss.

For mage, Unchained isn't a tank class really. It's like a melee DPS of sort? It feels pretty meh. The good thing is the whole charge up all your bar > press F, but at 25 both Battle Wizard and Pyromancer can do it too and Pyromancer F is like 30secs cooldown so it's a lot better for it(and the ability is also better, heatseeking high damage projectile, great for sniping specials). Both also control their overcharge decently before that, Battle Wizard passive does it automatically and Pyromancer needs the lvl 10 talent that doubles the speed when you have a grimoire debuff. Main issue I have with Unchained is you take overcharge when you take damage, so sometimes you're doing some casting, a rat sneaks behind you, hits you and boom you explode before you can living bomb. If you get pinned by an assassin and people don't help you right away, there's a good chance you'll get up with 100% charge and explode anyway.

Generally speaking, Pyromancer is just a lot better than the other 2 mage classes atm, the F skill is just super good due to low cd and special sniping potential and at lvl 25 you can vent with it so you generally can cast almost all the time.
Thanks for the recommendations, I just unlocked Pyromancer so I'll give that go for a bit. Been digging the fire sword and bolt staff with it. I do have a question about Overcharge, is that just the purple bar? I haven't seen it explained anywhere so I'm lost when I'm reading talents about reducing overcharge or extra crit with overcharge lol.

I was enjoying spear a whole lot a elf, may play around with that a bit afterwards.

Sorry, one last noob question, I was reading that people recommend holding commendation chests until power 200, is that good advice? Or should I be opening them as I get them?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the recommendations, I just unlocked Pyromancer so I'll give that go for a bit. Been digging the fire sword and bolt staff with it. I do have a question about Overcharge, is that just the purple bar? I haven't seen it explained anywhere so I'm lost when I'm reading talents about reducing overcharge or extra crit with overcharge lol.

I was enjoying spear a whole lot a elf, may play around with that a bit afterwards.

Sorry, one last noob question, I was reading that people recommend holding commendation chests until power 200, is that good advice? Or should I be opening them as I get them?

That's dumb advice. I am at over 200 and they can still give me useless stuff. Open them to raise your power level quicker.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
i've leveled the witchhunter to 7 to unlock the second career, then leveled every other character to at least lev 2 for chest and second base weapon

still bound to recruit, game seems piss easy with bots and much harder in coop

like it a lot, 0 crash, not much lag too

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

Overcharge is the bar yeah. Fire sword is fun to use but I found it kinda disapointing, I hope they buff it some, especially the claw swipe I wish it was faster. Bolt staff is super strong now that they fixed it(in case you hadn't noticed, if you press right click while you're doing the left click beam, it does an instant explosion burst that does very high damage, great for sniping stuff). Pyromancer is imo not as good as Battlewizard until 10 though because you need that grimoire talent to vent your overcharge at a decent pace, while Battle Wizard has the passive to do it. If you don't know the grimoire locations to activate it it might be a problem too and might be worth staying on battle wizard, although the F skill for Pyro is just really good.

On commendation chests, it's a matter of taste. Basically, every slot saves the highest item power you got from a chest(any type of chest). Everytime you open a chest, it rolls -10 to +10 over the last highest value you got on that slot, with seemingly a better chance at a small positive result than the others(like +2 or +4 or whatever). That's how you progress your item levels, the more boxes you open, the higher you get. Now if you open your commendations, you progress faster. However it also means you'll want to switch the difficulty up earlier, which is fine if you're feeling it's too easy but it can be good to learn the game more before moving to champion. Because recruit chests are capped at 100 and veteran capped at 200, if you're not rushing for champion, it can be worth keeping until 200 then opening them, so you can play longer at each difficulty without effectively wasting your drops. So really it depends on what you want to do, opening them lets you progress faster but not opening them maximize your "champion-level" loot drops even if you're not actually ready to do champion(and as a result makes the transition to champion easier.

Ultimately it's not a large concern either way though, because commendation boxes aren't as good as champion boxes(they can't drop reds and have lower chance than general/emperor for oranges too I believe) and you'll keep getting them.

I'm personally keeping them though because I'm still getting comfortable with the game running Veteran on several classes and stuff so I don't feel the need to push to 200+ asap when I don't think I want to do champion just yet. I'm at like 140-160 already too so just doing some more veteran, getting Bardin and Sienna to 20 should get me to around 200 and then I'll open them.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That prologue would have been useful in the beta. Kind of goofy needing to play through it now when I have a level 6 Battle Wizard.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
how do i skip the mission start cutscenes? -- sometimes i see one of my teammates already running along when the camera is still panning over the starting area for me.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully when this comes to PS4 the aiming/analog controls aren't as bad as their first try.

Really hurt the first one.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
how do i skip the mission start cutscenes? -- sometimes i see one of my teammates already running along when the camera is still panning over the starting area for me.
You can't technically skip it, but if you open the console and close it(F2 twice), the game accepts your inputs so you can move, you just still see the cutscene and yourself moving in it.

Dubz

Nov 3, 2017
Los Angeles
Can't believe this game is only $30. Lots of content for the price. I'm loving the sword and shield dude. Starting to learn the combat system, and it's really satisfying. This is how you do FPS melee combat.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol the double damage deeds on Champ are hilarious. One attack goes through and anyone without a talent or item that buffs HP instantly dies.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having a great time playing on Champion these last few days. Unlike the first game, all of the maps are of good length.

I haven't looked at what other people are using yet, but here are some tips for playing Bardin as Ironbreaker, and with the assumption you're tanking.

• In my experience the two-handers aren't good enough for tanking at higher difficulties. Both of the shields are fine, but I'm finding the Axe and Shield's better damage, and having the shield bash as the first part of the charge combo to be better.
  • The shield bash is your primary attack. In fact, if you're using the Axe and Shield you want to cancel the other parts of the charge attack. That is, short charge -> shield bash -> cancel (as the bash is extending outwards), and repeat.
  • The knockback should be using sparingly throughout your shield bash string. Don't rely on it too much.
  • Managing a large group of enemies in most cases involves you moving around. I don't mean jumping around everywhere, but you do have to think about how you're molding the shape of the enemy group so that they're not surrounding you.
  • The Drakegun is your gun. It can clear out entire hordes if you have a good position. Keep in mind with the recent changes, you have to anticipate the horde to use it most effectively. On Champion and above, you need good communication with your team to avoid friendly-fire.
  • Your taunt is on a long cool-down. Save it for when it matters. The concentration potions are useful too. You don't need to be blocking while taunt is up, so feel free to attack. You're still impenetrable.
  • This is obvious, but positional awareness is essential. You're going to be diving straight into packs while bashing them around, and you need to know where they all are.
  • Your standard left-click attack on the Axe and Shield is good. While your bashing away, mix it in to finish off enemies. It also does good enough damage that you can focus down Stormvermin, Chaos Warriors, and other armored enemies.
  • You can hold block before reviving to continue blocking while doing so, which makes you a good person to revive someone (assuming the others aren't being swarmed) if things are going bad.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been having a great time playing on Champion these last few days. Unlike the first game, all of the maps are of good length.

I haven't looked at what other people are using yet, but here are some tips for playing Bardin as Ironbreaker, and with the assumption you're tanking.

• In my experience the two-handers aren't good enough for tanking at higher difficulties. Both of the shields are fine, but I'm finding the Axe and Shield's better damage, and having the shield bash as the first part of the charge combo to be better.
  • The shield bash is your primary attack. In fact, if you're using the Axe and Shield you want to cancel the other parts of the charge attack. That is, short charge -> shield bash -> cancel (as the bash is extending outwards), and repeat.
  • The knockback should be using sparingly throughout your shield bash string. Don't rely on it too much.
  • Managing a large group of enemies in most cases involves you moving around. I don't mean jumping around everywhere, but you do have to think about how you're molding the shape of the enemy group so that they're not surrounding you.
  • The Drakegun is your gun. It can clear out entire hordes if you have a good position. Keep in mind with the recent changes, you have to anticipate the horde to use it most effectively. On Champion and above, you need good communication with your team to avoid friendly-fire.
  • Your taunt is on a long cool-down. Save it for when it matters. The concentration potions are useful too. You don't need to be blocking while taunt is up, so feel free to attack. You're still impenetrable.
  • This is obvious, but positional awareness is essential. You're going to be diving straight into packs while bashing them around, and you need to know where they all are.
  • Your standard left-click attack on the Axe and Shield is good. While your bashing away, mix it in to finish off enemies. It also does good enough damage that you can focus down Stormvermin, Chaos Warriors, and other armored enemies.
  • You can hold block before reviving to continue blocking while doing so, which makes you a good person to revive someone if things are going bad.

That's a long and funny way to type "use grudgeraker and on champ+ tell your friends to stand behind you."

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Grudgeraker is that good? I used it a little back on Veteran, but I found the Drakegun to be too good.

Once you get the traits/talents to vent on a critical hit its probably the best weapon in the game. The damage is fine, but the best part is the stagger. It trivializes Champion mode.

The best team is probably the two flame throwers, WH for the tag boost, and whatever you want in the fourth spot.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Anyone else get insane FPS drops when a stormfiend shows up? His flame thrower can knock me into the 40s from normally locked 60fps.

Max settings @ 3440x1440 is what I am playing at. My PC is a i7 7700K @ 5Ghz, 32GB Ram and a 1080 Ti.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Once you get the traits/talents to vent on a critical hit its probably the best weapon in the game. The damage is fine, but the best part is the stagger. It trivializes Champion mode.

The best team is probably the two flame throwers, WH for the tag boost, and whatever you want in the fourth spot.
There's no venting on grudgeraker, do you mean ammo on crits? Or are you talking about the drakefire pistols? Grudgeraker is the shotgun, it's excelent at killing specials and elites but it's not that great for sniping stuff. Pistols are nice because infinite ammo and fairly high single target damage and they do some slight aoe too on impact it seems, great for sniping stuff although accuracy isn't the best and great overall, my favorite weapon. Drakefire gun, the flamethrower, I don't like. While it's potent against hordes, it basically removes your ranged potential almost entirely so you can't help with a lot of the specials, and even against hordes it can be clunky to use cause you have to move back to charge it and leave the frontline unattended, and then position to not burn your teammates. It does a great job at killing hordes though but meh.

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited for this- can't pick it up for awhile but the new tweaks and classes are great. Loved the first game, this looks even better in every way.

Long live Victor Saltzpyre.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's no venting on grudgeraker, do you mean ammo on crits? Or are you talking about the drakefire pistols? Grudgeraker is the shotgun, it's excelent at killing specials and elites but it's not that great for sniping stuff. Pistols are nice because infinite ammo and fairly high single target damage and they do some slight aoe too on impact it seems, great for sniping stuff although accuracy isn't the best and great overall, my favorite weapon. Drakefire gun, the flamethrower, I don't like. While it's potent against hordes, it basically removes your ranged potential almost entirely so you can't help with a lot of the specials, and even against hordes it can be clunky to use cause you have to move back to charge it and leave the frontline unattended, and then position to not burn your teammates. It does a great job at killing hordes though but meh.

Isn't Grudgeraker the flamethrower? That's what my friend calls it but he might be wrong.

Losing the ability to take out specials is more than made up for by how easy it makes everything else. WH and whoever you use (my stack uses Kruber because his damage reduction aura is so good) can handle all the long distance sniping just fine while the two flamethrowers perma stagger everything.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Grudgeraker is the shotgun, flamethrower is the drakefire gun. I liked the flamethrower a lot in the beta but i guess the charge time was bugged to always be maxed and now it feels like you need way too much prediction for anything but the really obvious hordes coming complete with pre spawn horn sounds. For Bardin i lean more towards vet ranger and the shotgun, the regular ammo drops lets your whole team be really liberal with their shooting which kind of gives a 'offense is the best defense' bonus to the runs. The smoke bomb though is hot trash, i still can't tell what the mechanics of it really are as enemies sometimes randomly still target me inside it.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Grudgeraker is the shotgun, flamethrower is the drakefire gun. I liked the flamethrower a lot in the beta but i guess the charge time was bugged to always be maxed and now it feels like you need way too much prediction for anything but the really obvious hordes coming complete with pre spawn horn sounds. For Bardin i lean more towards vet ranger and the shotgun, the regular ammo drops lets your whole team be really liberal with their shooting which kind of gives a 'offense is the best defense' bonus to the runs. The smoke bomb though is hot trash, i still can't tell what the mechanics of it really are as enemies sometimes randomly still target me inside it.

I think that's a problem with invis actives in general. Kruber's never drops aggro for me, so now that it only very slightly increases damage its literally 100% worthless lol.

I think most the actives need another pass from Fatshark tbh. The actives for Merc and Foot Knight have roughly equivalent power levels, but the Foot Knight one has a significantly shorter cooldown to the point where if I hit enough dudes with it, I can basically do it again right away. The actives for the WH classes that aren't WHC are basically worthless, too.

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Grudgeraker the flamethrower? That's what my friend calls it but he might be wrong.

Losing the ability to take out specials is more than made up for by how easy it makes everything else. WH and whoever you use (my stack uses Kruber because his damage reduction aura is so good) can handle all the long distance sniping just fine while the two flamethrowers perma stagger everything.

No. We were talking about the same weapon, lol. It's the Drakegun.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Are there more than 3 maps in Quickplay or are they only available in some other mode? I keep getting the same 3 levels over and over again.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Are there more than 3 maps in Quickplay or are they only available in some other mode? I keep getting the same 3 levels over and over again.

You may need to unlock more levels. At the start you only have the first mission of each act available, and beating each mission unlocks the next in the act. If you are hosting while quickplaying, then you'll have a 33% chance of one of the act start missions, lowering to 25% when you beat one and then unlock a new mission. If you're playing with random people, then it could be that most people don't have many missions unlocked. Or something.

In general I really don't like that quickplaying is rewarded. I sort of understand that it incentivises matchmaking, but it de-incentivises playing specific maps, trying to unlock maps, or even playing maps to completion. The best way to level atm is to quickplay into a mission, and leave if it is at the start. This is because quickplay can drop you at any point in a mission, even on the victory screen (and you get full rewards). There is no reason to play through a map entirely, except for maybe tomes and grims (which other people may pick up). Even then, joining for the last five minutes of a match and getting a bit less xp is far better than spending ~20 mins playing a full mission for the bit of extra xp and loot tomes and grims give you.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Played a few matches of this last night as a total beginner. It runs well, looks great, is a lot of fun with no lag to speak of.

But damn... This game is hard! Any tips for what to do if you get trapped in a swarm of enemies?

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
Played a few matches of this last night as a total beginner. It runs well, looks great, is a lot of fun with no lag to speak of.

But damn... This game is hard! Any tips for what to do if you get trapped in a swarm of enemies?
Block then push. Blocking, pushing and dodging is important in this game.

Last edited:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
you are equipping your bots? Also your blocking much of the time and or block striking?

Yep, lots of blocking and pushing. I hadn't upgraded the bots, but I'll level them a little just to unlock some better equipment for them (I know in the first game they definitely did better with defensive equipment).

still bound to recruit, game seems piss easy with bots and much harder in coop

I've still found the opposite with bots, but I've probably just had bad luck. They're terrible against the bosses and last night after popping all the pustules the bots decided to all fall off the edge right before the exit tunnel, leaving me with a massive swarm. Most of the time they're passable, then something weird happens and it basically ends the mission.

I was hoping they'd be less dumb than the first game.