• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
What is that gif from?

It looks pretty funny
"If The Emperor Had A Text-to-Speech Device", a show where the immortal Emperor after millennia finally gets a device installed that enables him to speak again, of which he immediately proceeds use to take out his 10.000 years of frustration and anger.
1495161758559.jpg

It starts as a couple of episodes of the Emperor learning what has happened to his Imperium during his absence but then spins out into this quite massive and entertaining plot, based a lot on what material was available at the time of the (very) stagnant WH40K universe (before the whole 8th Edition plot advance occurred). It is a quite hilarious take on an absurd universe with many jokes around how absolutely hilarious many aspects of it is.

Here is a remake of the first episode, the first couple of episodes are kinda low quality compared to now so the first was remade to give a better sense of current quality, recommend giving that a watch:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"If The Emperor Had A Text-to-Speech Device", a show where the immortal Emperor after millennia finally gets a device installed that enables him to speak again, of which he immediately proceeds use to take out his 10.000 years of frustration and anger.
1495161758559.jpg

It starts as a couple of episodes of the Emperor learning what has happened to his Imperium during his absence but then spins out into this quite massive and entertaining plot, based a lot on what material was available at the time of the (very) stagnant WH40K universe (before the whole 8th Edition plot advance occurred). It is a quite hilarious take on an absurd universe with many jokes around how absolutely hilarious many aspects of it is.

Here is a remake of the first episode, the first couple of episodes are kinda low quality compared to now so the first was remade to give a better sense of current quality, recommend giving that a watch:

That sounds like alot of fun. I will be bookmarking that for sure.

I have always seen bits and pieces of the lore and it seems like deep and interesting lore. Its just kind of hard to wrap your head around it all and know where to start.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That's GWs biggest issue (and always has been), game/world is cool but so damn expensive. The other is your favorite army might not see an update in decades.

Sisters finally getting a real update *cries with joy*

Seriously. There are quite a few people I genuinelly could have convinced to by armies that didn't once they saw how much it was.

I don't mind the new kits being as much as they are, but dammit the kits from back in 2003 shouldn't be the exact same price today as they were then. It'd be a good way to get people into it and more invested in buying expensive models for their armies when they're updated later.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
If GW wants to attract new young players because the hobby is shrinking and becoming increasingly insular they need to start lowering prices and making more small scale intro products. Kids already want warhammer stuff because it's goofy lovable heavy metal album cover lookin stuff that is fun to collect and paint, same as the adults do. This product seems more like it wants to trick people, you can't sell kids' parents on a family friendly adventure setting only to have them pick up a necron codex and see knife robots wearing people's skin.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
If GW wants to attract new young players because the hobby is shrinking and becoming increasingly insular they need to start lowering prices and making more small scale intro products.

They've been doing just that.

There are several starter sets, at least one for each faction, and some two player sets which come with a mat and simple terrain along with colored plastic, two or three piece minis. Compared to other wargames it's still expensive (wargaming as a whole is not cheap anyway) but there are savings to be found still. Especially compared to years ago.

Related to that, GW has been posting serious gains year over year lately. AoS has been a huge success for them in particular.

OP
OP
Pilgrimzero

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are several starter sets, at least one for each faction, and some two player sets which come with a mat and simple terrain along with colored plastic, two or three piece minis. Compared to other wargames it's still expensive (wargaming as a whole is not cheap anyway) but there are savings to be found still. Especially compared to years ago.

Related to that, GW has been posting serious gains year over year lately. AoS has been a huge success for them in particular.

They always "make money" but $50 for a box of basic Tac Marines is dumb.

I've started to pick up the new Star Wars mini war game and it's 1. Star Wars 2. Half the cost of GW

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California

The dark imperium and know no fear sets are i guess better than it has been for like 10 years, but you used to be able to get a starter paint set with a squad of 6 marines for 24 bucks, right now a starter paint set comes with 3 primaris marines and costs more than twice as much at 50. Inflation is a thing, sure, but no 10 year old can mow a couple lawns and add a squad to their army like they used to, even very budget minded players need to shell out as much as a used car. You can't compete with video games and beyblades or whatever with the current pricing structure, and releasing some kid scholastic looking adventure books isn't going to onboard kids like an affordable squad+paint set would.

Oct 25, 2017
The prices of some individual sets are bad but there are good deals. Most of the start collecting boxes are a great value, as are the core sets. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of buying whole armies up front, when really they should be building and painting a little at a time.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
Oh good, stories about how right Fascism is. This is what we need to be giving to kids. Every single thing about Warhammer 40K is changed for me to be okay about this at all.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
That sounds like alot of fun. I will be bookmarking that for sure.

I have always seen bits and pieces of the lore and it seems like deep and interesting lore. Its just kind of hard to wrap your head around it all and know where to start.
There are three sites for lore reading that I go to, Lexicanum which is the most lore dense site I know. Just a heavy focus on everything in-lore and canon. The Warhammer 40K wiki which is a bit of a easier read. And, while sadly associated with a pretty bad crowd, the site I would argue is probably the most abridged and easiest introduction to the insanity of Warhammer 40K, 1d4chan. At times pretty NSFW and have quite inflammatory language but they are pretty good at summarizing the whole mess. And there is A LOT of mess to go through. There are also a ton of lore podcasts with introduction episodes out there that should be easy to find out on Youtube as well so quite recommend checking around there.

Warhammer 40K is absolutely awesome and remains my favourite sci-fantasy universe in existence, still waiting for a worthy movie or TV show to bring this thing to the masses that isn't the weird Ultrasmurfs movie.

Oct 25, 2017
What?

I mean, I'll buy it, but... What?!

(I mean, how does the child of a Rogue Trader meet up and have adventures with a Skitarii kid?)

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
A bit bummed by this. WH, especially 40k, is - and I say it with a heavy heart, because I have a soft spot for the universe and also think its creators didn't intend it this way - like an introduction to alt-right philosophies.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
A bit bummed by this. WH, especially 40k, is - and I say it with a heavy heart, because I have a soft spot for the universe and also think its creators didn't intend it this way - like an introduction to alt-right philosophies.
I lik emore people getting into 40, but you have a point here I guess.
The one thing that is negative about this all, is that it "white washes" a bit what the imperium is. Sure you can be heroic as an individual or group in battle, saving innocents, sacraficing yourself... what have you. But the "nuanced" idea of the imperium being a horrible place and regime may not come across in these children's text. I mean... I think that is a great thing for children to appreciate if they can.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
well, the Imperium in the WH40k universe is kind of a parody of both the fascist 20th century regimes and medieval fanatical faith, and I'd say the lore regularly reminds the reader that the Imperium are in fact not the good guys, it has become a horrifically twisted and perverted version of what the now powerless Emperor intended. Humans are put through the meatgrinder in the millions and a single life is completely worthless. Of course, this context would probably get lost in the kids-friendly version

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
well, the Imperium in the WH40k universe is kind of a parody of both the fascist 20th century regimes and medieval fanatical faith, and I'd say the lore regularly reminds the reader that the Imperium are in fact not the good guys, it has become a horrifically twisted and perverted version of what the now powerless Emperor intended. Humans are put through the meatgrinder in the millions and a single life is completely worthless. Of course, this context would probably get lost in the kids-friendly version

Someone did mention that parody's and satires can sometimes have the opposite intended effect, if there not done well. Its hard to say if WH40 is strictly a satire/parody, it is but I can see how people could take it straight.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing that is negative about this all, is that it "white washes" a bit what the imperium is. Sure you can be heroic as an individual or group in battle, saving innocents, sacraficing yourself... what have you. But the "nuanced" idea of the imperium being a horrible place and regime may not come across in these children's text. I mean... I think that is a great thing for children to appreciate if they can.

Someone did mention that parody's and satires can sometimes have the opposite intended effect, if there not done well. Its hard to say if WH40 is strictly a satire/parody, it is but I can see how people could take it straight.

This is what I was alluding to in my earlier post about WH40k being already for 12 year olds. Sure, the series was originally rooted squarely within satire, it made sure you understood that the Imperium was fucking horrible and not something to be emulated. But, these days they lean too hard into the awesomeness of the Imperium and Space Marines to seriously call it satire, shit even the Eisenhorn novels I read were more interested in showing how fucking badass the Inquisitors were than espousing any sort of actual theme. Thus, the idea that the "adult" books are more "nuanced" just doesn't really hold water these days. Thus, I don't know how much harm the series can do by introducing full on fascism to kids as a good/cool thing. After all, the Empire in Star Wars is fascist and kids love Stormtroopers. I don't know how much harm that can do to a developing mind.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I was alluding to in my earlier post about WH40k being already for 12 year olds. Sure, the series originally rooted squarely within satire, it made sure you understood that the Imperium was fucking horrible and not something to be emulated. But, these days they lean too hard into the awesomeness of the Imperium and Space Marines to seriously call it satire, shit even the Eisenhorn novels I read were more interested in showing how fucking badass the Inquisitors were than espousing any sort of actual theme. Thus, the idea that the "adult" books are more "nuanced" just doesn't really hold water these days. Thus, I don't know how much harm the series can do by introducing full on fascism to kids as a good/cool thing. After all, the Empire in Star Wars is fascist and kids love Stormtroopers. I don't know how much harm that can do to a developing mind.

That's why kids need to be introduced to the real good guys, the forces of Chaos.

DouglasteR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What could possible go wrong ?

"Papa, i crushed my friend at the school today'' !

- What ? For what ?

- FOR THE BLOOD LAD papa !

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I liked the old story where a squad of Space Marines killed their Sisters of Battle allies and bathed in their blood for an extra ward save roll against demonic corruption. Nothing but pragmatic, those Space Marines. Also, sending waves of thousands of Imperial Guards to their gruesome deaths to tire out the enemy lines as phase one of their standard mode of engagement

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the old story where a squad of Space Marines killed their Sisters of Battle allies and bathed in their blood for an extra ward save roll against demonic corruption. Nothing but pragmatic, those Space Marines. Also, sending waves of thousands of Imperial Guards to their gruesome deaths to tire out the enemy lines as phase one of their standard mode of engagement
Thank fuck that was retconned.

Oct 26, 2017
imperial child: " Tell me a bed time story oh glorious dreadnaught?"
Dreadnaught: " Once upon a time I came across a heretical band of Xenos..."
Dreadnaught: " they were prancing all merrily, upon the emperors sacred world of balthe"
Dreadnaught: " and so i joined the merrily dance, and ripped their horse in twain, then I threw it at the xenos and burned them all."
Dreadnaught: ' THE EMPORER PROTECTS"
imperial child: " Night metal man"

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
To see a future generation where a little girl get the question "So who's your role model?" and this image pops up on the auditorium screen:
350px-Ephrael_Stern_1.jpg

And in the back your hear a voice going "That's my girl~"

I wouldn't mind it.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

I know what it was supposed to be - but Starship Troopers it isn't. The 'parody of fascism' and 'nuanced' may have been a part of it at its inception, but they're really not part of what WH40k was for the last 20 or so years. Pick up any Space Marine codex and read the fluff, it's all straight. The Imperium may be shown as horrible, but it's 'all for the greater good'. Those of other faiths, those that are alien or different, they are the real enemy.

The white, almost exclusively male, hypermasculine warmachines safeguard the world by serving thier God-Emperor.

"Beware the alien, the heretic, and the mutant."
"Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean."

These are used unironically in in-game text and outside, by fans.

And listen, I still like aspects of it as an adult, and I'm also not inclined to turn fascist because of it. But what is a 10-12 year old supposed to think of it? It's the heroes.

I think it's a part of a larger discussion, about how fantasy and games (video games too) glorify totalitaristic regimes that fight the greater evil (very real in their fictinonal universes), while completely missing the fact that real world totalitarian regimes invent fictional enemies to legitimize their rule. It's kinda depressing.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's check out the characters in the 40K line.

We have a pacifist, tech savvy arachnophobe, an imperial guard draft dodging gang member with a heart of gold, and a prosthesis wearing misanthrope who needs to learn the power of friendship.

I'd guess that the Warhammer 40K grimdark will be turned way down to make room for Saturday morning style cartoon battles and moral lessons.

though necron players should get ready for their faction to get schooled by a bunch of tweens

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
To see a future generation where a little girl get the question "So who's your role model?" and this image pops up on the auditorium screen:
350px-Ephrael_Stern_1.jpg

And in the back your hear a voice going "That's my girl~"

I wouldn't mind it.

Sister of battle with lightning coming from her eyes? BURN THE WITCH!

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I I understand appealing to kids but what is the goal. The miniatures are way out of the price range and most parents would probably rezearch why they are dropping 100 dollars on a miniatur, then decide not to after finding how mess up the universe is
Wait like 10 years when the kid hss enough disposable income.
Maybe it's part of a bigger initive.
IAtleast it will be a good tool for parents who want to get their kid into Warhammer.

The kids should have been in the one true greater good faction, The Tau!

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the only 40k faction i actually like is the tyranid because they are amoral and exist only to feed and grow and survive, afaik. also i respect the orkz

i enjoy chaos in theory because outright evil is fun, but once space marines etc. become involved in it i tune out

everyone else is like a maximum slider satire of some high school level negative concept

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The idea of children existing in the 40k universe is somehow less believable to me than eldritch chaotic sex gods.