• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Different chestpiece, either loin cloth or belly tabard. Molded crosses on helmet and shoulder, this looks great.

Rip salamanders tho.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's a beefy flamer profile. Longer range, some AP and double damage? They're putting the Sisters to shame with this one.

EDIT: Oh apparently the D2 was a typo, thank christ.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now that BT are getting their special units Primarisized, hopefully this means BA and SW are next (DA really just need an upgrade kits for the bikes, no idea what the Primaris Deathwing equivalent will be)..

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Presumably at some point the other first founding chapters will get 9th edition supplements? Salamanders, Raven Guard, White Scars and Iron Hands.

I'm almost at the point of collecting Raven Guard but need a push to get over the edge

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've ordered 2 boxes of scouts. I've always wanted to use scouts somehow, I guess now I'll have a kill team. I'll have to read up on how to paint camo..

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I've been reading up on the LoS and cover rules a lot.

They seem really complicated at first until you realise it is only heavy terrain the obscures. Light terrain does not, only provides cover.

A lot of the time you won't even have to think about obscuring. Generally if it's behind heavy terrain, most of the time you won't be able to see it. Obscuring is really there for those odd edge cases, like Windows.

Mainly need to think - if I can see it, and if its in cover is it on an engage or conceal order? Concealed can't shoot unless close, engage gets one automatic defence dice.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. No issues with grasping the LoS and cover rules?
Well they had this cheat sheet printed out, which honestly is pretty much all you need to go lmao

RDT_20210822_165455227582568776199597.png

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Shame Guard suck but I'm really getting into the scions now.

For what is essentially a subfaction they are ridiculously strong with the right but simple set up. And its a lot of fun playing a more aggressive, tanks and mobile force.

Got a 1k competitive (well hopefully) list worked out;

All Lambdan Lions for -1AP.

- 1st Taurox with missile/autocannons sitting 2 plasma squads.

- A second Taurox with gatling gun/volley guns featuring a ten-man bare rifle squad. They abuse the regimental strategem to deliver mortal wounds on 6's.

- The warlord Tempestor sprints behind them on foot, giving them all a 5++ save and re-roll of 1's.

- Valkyrie with 2 meltagun squads and another Tempestor inside. Uses the aerial drop strategem to drop off 4 meltaguns 5 inches from the enemy.

- 2 command squads, each with just 2 volley guns. These camp objectives or can converge or whatever.

The list is simple. Two tauroxes, their squads and the Tempestors shield make up the bulk of the force. The meat if you will. The valkyrie makes up the lethal knife, either as a hard hitting alpha or beta strike. The two volley squads make up the filler/backfield campers.

Hoping to get back into it with some friends. And without giving GW money. Not that i have the time for tournaments that I had in the part. Biggest benefit is how easy this list is to transport compared to normal guard.

This was mentioned in the rumours/leaks:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wa...-there-is-only-war.614/page-195#post-71623092

In the Black Templars Crusader kit "there's a 15" AP-1 flamer".

Oh shit. Theres some interesting stuff in those rumours.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I should prepare to paint my Tau for Janurary Codex release. Anyone got any good non-white paint ideas for them? essentially needing to repaint after a wash fucking sucks for the color I was originally going with. Thinking just doing Black and Blue?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Guess I should prepare to paint my Tau for Janurary Codex release. Anyone got any good non-white paint ideas for them? essentially needing to repaint after a wash fucking sucks for the color I was originally going with. Thinking just doing Black and Blue?

Not mine but I'm a big fan of tacicool digi-camo on Tau with black cloth underneath.

Tau+Commission+5.jpg

Might be hard to pull off though. The black underparts/undersuit needs to be a strong black to hilight the camera armor.

Actually as long as the undersuit is black you really can't go wrong with painting tau armor plating whatever color you like.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Not mine but I'm a big fan of tacicool digi-camo on Tau with black cloth underneath.

Tau+Commission+5.jpg

Might be hard to pull off though. The black underparts/undersuit needs to be a strong black to hilight the camera armor.
painting patterns sends fear throughout my body lmao

But honestly the grey and black alone would be rad

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So a friend of a friend who has never painted a model before going to the GW store chose Harlequins as his army.

...Harlequins.

How fucked up are his models gonna look???

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord are we really just going to get a plastic Darkstrider and thats it?

I mean probably. You guys don't need the refresh as other factions atm, and there's been alot of factions only getting one new hq model and thats it.

There is the upcoming pathfinder upgrade sprue as well (i'm guessing it's just like the krieg third sprue).

Oct 28, 2017
So a friend of a friend who has never painted a model before going to the GW store chose Harlequins as his army.

...Harlequins.

How fucked up are his models gonna look???

Just use a Sakura Pigma Micron pen if you hate painting small shapes and go over it with medium to tie everything together if you don't want to do the outline -> fill method. Micron pens also have the advantage of not "setting" particularly quick on acrylic so you can erase mistakes with a brush and water if you do it immediately.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching Tabletop Minion's video about the Kill Team compendium and holy shit. GW just completely gutted every faction and limited customability even more. I straight up don't know if I'll even bother playing KT2 at all now. I don't even know if my Black Templar team is even legal anymore. It's so frustrating, they did this PURELY so they force people to buy the upcoming specific Kill Team sets in the future.

It really feels like GW is doing everything in their power to push me away lately. :/

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
My perception is that the gameplay is more complex while the list building is rigid - the inverse of the previous edition, where you had flexibility but the rules sucked.

While Tabletop Minions may have some good content, 90% of it is just whining. I sort of don't trust his takes because hes part of that class of YouTube that thrives by shitting on things.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
While Tabletop Minions may have some good content, 90% of it is just whining. I sort of don't trust his takes because hes part of that class of YouTube that thrives by shitting on things.
I have my gripes with the guy's content but I wouldn't call it "whining" by any means. Like, most of his videos are are kind of pointlessly pontificating and not actually presenting anything useful to the audience be it on an educational or entertaining but he does seems genuinely positive about the hobby in general so I can't really begrudge him too badly imo.

But in regards to Kill Team, I really don't like the rigid list building. I'm the kind of person who likes mixing and matching stuff and making small teams of weird and distinct characters. Like the main game is almost certainly better than the first edition but the draw to the game for me is gone almost entirely now and I don't see a reason to stick with it.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I have my gripes with the guy's content but I wouldn't call it "whining" by any means. Like, most of his videos are are kind of pointlessly pontificating and not actually presenting anything useful to the audience be it on an educational or entertaining but he does seems genuinely positive about the hobby in general so I can't really begrudge him too badly imo.

But in regards to Kill Team, I really don't like the rigid list building. I'm the kind of person who likes mixing and matching stuff and making small teams of weird and distinct characters. Like the main game is almost certainly better than the first edition but the draw to the game for me is gone almost entirely now and I don't see a reason to stick with it.

It's definitely a problem if you built a custom kill team, which was definitely frustrating as they were showing custom kill teams on Warhammer community before the launch and bam.

However, buy in now is significantly cheaper for most factions.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
Was watching Tabletop Minion's video about the Kill Team compendium and holy shit. GW just completely gutted every faction and limited customability even more. I straight up don't know if I'll even bother playing KT2 at all now. I don't even know if my Black Templar team is even legal anymore. It's so frustrating, they did this PURELY so they force people to buy the upcoming specific Kill Team sets in the future.

It really feels like GW is doing everything in their power to push me away lately. :/
I don't think that's why they did it at all. Previously a good team required you buy 3-5 different boxes of units and only using like 1-2 models from each to build a team.

New Kill Team you just have to buy 1 box for most factions or 2 boxes for the rest to build your kill team.

This makes it easier and less expensive to bring new people into the game.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
so more rumors.

HH 2.0 boxset (which we've seen the picures) of in October. Plastic spartan dual kit (non lord of war alternate) is in the works according to Valrak.

Basically, mini marines never died, they just went 10k years back in time.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
Well none of the shows on Warhammer plus play for me, just get a 'media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem' message which is a nice start.
Edit: seems like it will play on my PC but not on the iPad lol. Where's the app?
also no full screen button on the video player is frankly criminal.
Edit2: ok the app works on iPad at least

Last edited:

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Man, the QA teams for this must have suffered. This feels like a rushed launch, like they had to make the August deadline.

The shows are decent enough, but I want the app to work.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watch that first Angels of Death episode yet? I am waiting to watch it tonight , curious if the quality is as good as the hammer and bolter preview.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched Helsreach but read the novel. I didn't know this creator made other stuff like the guy who made Astartes. Gonna watch now.
Oh yeah, Richard Boylan who is doing Angels of Death was hired due to his work on the Helreach animation on youtube. He took the audio book , abridged it and animated it, its a really great watch. I had read the book prior as well.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
The masterclass videos seem pretty good from the few mins I've watched. Impressed and surprised that they are using a wet palette consider GW doesn't sell one.

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm enjoying Hammer and Bolter, but good lord, they are using every frame cutting trick ever. And then don't appear to have the budget to put extra frames in the action scenes even though about half of the show is just cut out images sliding across a screen.

I want some damn Sakuga!

Edit: The Blood Angels was pretty enjoyable, too. Everything does have an odd amateur vibe, which is kinda a bummer for a paid service. The credits are also a bit disappointing. Everything is by the Warhammer Storyforge? Why make the scripting such a black box? With all the allegations of worker suppression, obsfucating the creative teams is certainly not a move toward empowering the workers at GW.

Last edited:

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Finally, after sixty friggin' books and god knows how many novellas and short stories, I have finished the Horus Heresy. Good lord. Time to see how long they can drag the siege itself out for. It helps Dorn and his mob are my favourites.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly checked out from the Heresy stuff, but there are a few books I want to go back and check out... heard very good things about Know No Fear. And whenever Dorn's Primarch novel comes out, I'll probably read that, because I find it vaguely infuriating that Dorn apparently ruled an entire Ultramar-style interstellar empire before Big E showed up and it just never really comes up?

Seneku

Nov 1, 2017
Well none of the shows on Warhammer plus play for me, just get a 'media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem' message which is a nice start.
Edit: seems like it will play on my PC but not on the iPad lol. Where's the app?
also no full screen button on the video player is frankly criminal.
Edit2: ok the app works on iPad at least

There is actually a Full Screen option but for some reason they chose to put that overlay for selecting the next episode directly over the top of it so you can't actually select it...no key combo I can find either which is super annoying.

Otherwise the Hammer & Bolter stuff was quite enjoyable and Angels of Death is promising despite some dodgy lip syncing as others have already mentioned. Was pleasantly surprised by the music on the Angels of Death stuff as well, very Vangelis rather than the typical orchestra stuff you'd expect.

They definitely need to flesh out the offering a bit more though and add more Black Library & White Dwarf content or so.