• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
That new article has revealed some things for sure. Especially the defence stat. I must admit I thought originally it was going to be some form of flat damage reduction of incoming attacks but looks like it is the number of save rolls you are allowed. I really like that it looks like the defenders save roll is made independently from the attackers roll. You get that in games like X-wing and Marvel Crisis Protocol and I find it really helps keep the pace of the match up, Still not 100% sure why they used the symbols to signify distances rather then just write out the numbers, but I guess I can get used to it over time.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I like the idea of unlimited range. Games like Spectre Operations have unlimited range even on 4' x 4' tables but all their weapons have range bands and decrease in accuracy depending on how far the shot is and what weapon it is, but you're still welcome to make a very long range shot with a rifle or even pistol. For an even smaller board like with Kill Team I think it makes a ton of sense.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Unlimited range is a good change, as is special rules that let you bypass saves... maybe ranged weapons won't be nigh-on useless this time.

I've been thinking on it, and the shapes thing makes more sense to me now. The movement is the key, pretty obviously; having it be 3xO is distinct from just 6", and it reads better than 3x2".

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Mortis, has to be worst book of the seige of terra series, nothing of interest happens, what could have been interesting is colossally mishandled.
I know it was always going to be hard to follow Saturnine, but this doesn't even try. Honestly skip it, the one piece of info you need, someone can tell you in a sentance, and you will miss nothing. I listened to the Audiobook, and I was sick to death of the word incandescence by the end of it.....

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That new article has revealed some things for sure. Especially the defence stat. I must admit I thought originally it was going to be some form of flat damage reduction of incoming attacks but looks like it is the number of save rolls you are allowed. I really like that it looks like the defenders save roll is made independently from the attackers roll. You get that in games like X-wing and Marvel Crisis Protocol and I find it really helps keep the pace of the match up, Still not 100% sure why they used the symbols to signify distances rather then just write out the numbers, but I guess I can get used to it over time.

Having gotten into x wing recently I'm a bit iffy on that. I defiently like it however I find just offering a straight number of defence rolls makes things a but too luck based. I would like to see something like a suppression penalty (ie: for each additional model that shoots at you, roll one less defence die or something) so that even if you roll bad you can use skill and tactical thinking to pin a target down.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Having gotten into x wing recently I'm a bit iffy on that. I defiently like it however I find just offering a straight number of defence rolls makes things a but too luck based. I would like to see something like a suppression penalty (ie: for each additional model that shoots at you, roll one less defence die or something) so that even if you roll bad you can use skill and tactical thinking to pin a target down.
I wouldn't say I am opposed to modification to defence rolls full stop. It's just that I prefer wargames to have a pre arranged number of defence dice before mods are kicked in. You play 40k and you have no idea how many save dice you have to roll till the opponent is done with their hits and wounds. In other wargames I generally have an idea about the number even if you are opposing a -1 to that number (through like a suppression penalty as you describe).

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Kill Team 2.0's distance rules look very, very badly designed.

Otherwise it looks neat. But I honestly think at this point I might just scrawl "6" everywhere in pen on my rulebooks and cards.

Oct 26, 2017
Kill Team 2.0's distance rules look very, very badly designed.

Otherwise it looks neat. But I honestly think at this point I might just scrawl "6" everywhere in pen on my rulebooks and cards.
Ya, they over simplified, and then got stuck behind the range stick idea. And made it needlessly complex.

They could've and should've made 3-4 types of range. 5", 10",15" and 20".
The symbol idea is not good.my range is pentagon!

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Look, they did it so they could disguise the fact that they're ashamed of using imperial

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
It feels weird thinking about it now but I think it'll probably be fine when actually playing the game with the little measuring device.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I will probably just print off a custom measurement tool with the shapes on my 3D printer or just use a ruler still and draw shapes on it lol

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too concerned over the distance/movement rules. All the changes have been a move in the right direction imo.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I'm liking what I'm seeing. I was planning on starting Warcry but I think I'm going to hold out and see how Killteam shapes up. I've got a box of Sisters ready for assembly.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
If there is one thing I hope for with Kill Team 2.0 is they address some of the weird customization limitations some factions have. Because it's horse shit that Chaos Marines aren't allowed to take 90% of the weapons on their sprue and are stuck with mostly bolters and chainswords.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I wouldn't say I am opposed to modification to defence rolls full stop. It's just that I prefer wargames to have a pre arranged number of defence dice before mods are kicked in. You play 40k and you have no idea how many save dice you have to roll till the opponent is done with their hits and wounds. In other wargames I generally have an idea about the number even if you are opposing a -1 to that number (through like a suppression penalty as you describe).

I agree. I've just found that when there's no penalty it can sometimes be quite frustrating for the attacker.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly the ork army box is insanely hard to get. I'm worried about kill team now.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly the ork army box is insanely hard to get. I'm worried about kill team now.
? They said they are doing it like Dominion, we should be fine Kill Team wise. Got my pre-order in at a local store already so I am good, but they seemed pretty sure supply wasn't going to be an issue.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I managed to get an order in through GW's U.K. site, had to queue for about half an hour. Was hoping to pick it up through one of the discount sites but they were gone instantly.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm highlighting mechanics standard with dawnstone and I can barely see my highlights after they dry unless I angle them right in the light.

Is it possibly because I have a god awful bright office light above me most of the time? Or is that normal?

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I'm highlighting mechanics standard with dawnstone and I can barely see my highlights after they dry unless I angle them right in the light.

Is it possibly because I have a god awful bright office light above me most of the time? Or is that normal?

I don't have those particular paints but looking at the swatches on the GW site they're kinda close to each other. You probably want to go quite a bit lighter on the highlights.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Big ol' leak of the Ork codex: https://imgur.com/a/YC4UNqS

Lots of rules are still missing, but seems like a mixed bag. There needs to be a lot of special rules that are not in the leak or there's no way these guys compete, except with Trukk Boyz and Bikes. Stratagems in particular seem weak.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this box wasn't given the Dominion treatment since it's just a limited edition one shot. The Kill Team one should be better since it's the new starter set.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just finished Mortis, has to be worst book of the seige of terra series, nothing of interest happens, what could have been interesting is colossally mishandled.
I know it was always going to be hard to follow Saturnine, but this doesn't even try. Honestly skip it, the one piece of info you need, someone can tell you in a sentance, and you will miss nothing. I listened to the Audiobook, and I was sick to death of the word incandescence by the end of it.....
Yeah, it reminded me of The First Wall, in that it thinks the core conflict in the title is the selling point (Terra's remaining titan reserves vs Horus's, effectively 'Titandeath, round 2'). But it's not. As French outlines in the afterword,
The one really critical point in this book is that it's the point at which the battle goes from the corporeal siegecraft of Peturabo vs Dorn, and into the spiritual. As several of the worn-down defenders realise that faith is an defence against chaotic madness, and that entire concept is heresy in itself. And that Perturbo pulls out the Iron Warriors due to realising that Horus is just a hollowed-out puppet and the spiritual battle of the chaos powers throwing their strength against the Emperor's psychic defences means that his own campaign is pointless in comparison.

All of this is covered in just a handful of scenes. Perty's withdrawal in particular is so short and toothless when it's the key signifier of what French says the wider story is about at that point. It could have lost a few dozen pages of titan combat and gained a few more about the actually interesting part of the book. I feel like they probably thought 'Titan battles!' was the selling point of book 5 when planning the series, and only later realised that the shift from a corporeal to metaphysical siege, and what the viewpoint characters thought about that, was way more interesting.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Thousand Sons Infernal Master:

unrWN1baTV4u8tHx.jpg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Miniature screamers of Tzeetch up there with the crab and the bomb squig as mascot mini of the year!

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

I've seen scale comparisons with other tsons.

He seems to be bigger but not stupid bigger like Crowe compared to Grey Knights.

The perspective on the comparison was a bit off though (tactical rock plus the comparison pic had the tsons on a slight angle). Tsons didn't have the tactical squat poses like grey knights as well so I'm interested in seeing better comparison shots

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love the ork refresh, but I'm most interested in new normal boys plus the warboss in mega armor so I'm cool.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
I love that new TS Infernal Master. The design team knocked it out of the park on that one IMO. (Just can't get on board with the ancient Egypt vibe of Thousand Sons in general unfortunately, so will pass.)

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Can't say why but the T Sons model doesn't impress me. Maybe it's just that besides the cute creatures and the flames it doesn't stand out from the existing range

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I think that Tsons model will look way better painted up grimdark. Chaos is not a good match for the eavy metal painting style.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I need to see the infernal master with the rest of the army, that one with the terminators wasn't enough for me to judge.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it reminded me of The First Wall, in that it thinks the core conflict in the title is the selling point (Terra's remaining titan reserves vs Horus's, effectively 'Titandeath, round 2'). But it's not. As French outlines in the afterword,
The one really critical point in this book is that it's the point at which the battle goes from the corporeal siegecraft of Peturabo vs Dorn, and into the spiritual. As several of the worn-down defenders realise that faith is an defence against chaotic madness, and that entire concept is heresy in itself. And that Perturbo pulls out the Iron Warriors due to realising that Horus is just a hollowed-out puppet and the spiritual battle of the chaos powers throwing their strength against the Emperor's psychic defences means that his own campaign is pointless in comparison.

All of this is covered in just a handful of scenes. Perty's withdrawal in particular is so short and toothless when it's the key signifier of what French says the wider story is about at that point. It could have lost a few dozen pages of titan combat and gained a few more about the actually interesting part of the book. I feel like they probably thought 'Titan battles!' was the selling point of book 5 when planning the series, and only later realised that the shift from a corporeal to metaphysical siege, and what the viewpoint characters thought about that, was way more interesting.

Yes that is exactly the poorly handled part I was referring too, such a weird book, I mean the white Scar parts are pure filler

Edit I also came across this yesterday which is scarily similar to my opinions on the series

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes that is exactly the poorly handled part I was referring too, such a weird book, I mean the white Scar parts are pure filler

Edit I also came across this yesterday which is scarily similar to my opinions on the series

I don't really get the white scar parts either, and I loved following that character through Scars and Path of Heaven. I'm not sure the events in Saturnine, in which he was a very minor character, necessitated this lengthy journey in Mortis in order to get him where he needs to be for Chris Wraight's Warhawk later this year.

Just watched that video, and yeah, it matches up with my thoughts on the books too. Seems like most of those I skipped as they didn't seem intereresting I was right to do so! I mostly just read the arcs that followed the legions I find interesting, both loyalist and traitor. There's a couple I haven't read that he recommends though, I'll check those out.

Last edited: