• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
My initial reation was "They said Chaos and Gate? Together? In the same phrase? As in, Chaos Gate? THE Chaos Gate? GREYKNIGHTS?!"
My subsequent reaction
U3ai.gif
The original Chaos Gate was the first Warhammer game I ever played and I loved it. Can't wait for this, hopefully it turns out great.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
So new SoB codex reviews are out and it seems like they did their whack a mole balance again, according to goonhammer reviews.. Strong army but the units that are strong now are different now then the previous codex.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So new SoB codex reviews are out and it seems like they did their whack a mole balance again, according to goonhammer reviews.. Strong army but the units that are strong now are different now then the previous codex.
I read through that review this afternoon too. As someone happily making my own Order Minoris, I did smile when they said 'why would you ever do this unless for lore reasons' (as they are categorically worse than the storied Order Majoris), as I was thinking 'I'm not pretending my force is something it isn't just to get a gameplay benefit' :D

It's always the same with any new army. List is released. Players quickly realise which are the strongest units for the points and rely on multiple of those picks. Then complain when those picks are brought back in line next edition and weaker units are buffed to create more choice.

Lots of good nitpicks in the review though. Inferno pistols (range: 6 inches) on Seraphim (deep strike 9 inches away from the enemy) have lost the stratagem to do anything with them on the turn they appear, on a unit that usually gets counter-attacked hard and is 5 T3 troops.
Also the armour- the tanks remain over-costed, but that's kind of an edition-wide thing at the moment where heavy weapon infantry and walkers outclass them.

Still, compared to last edition it seems an improvement in options almost by definition of adding 6 new units, half of them very strong (Paragons, Sacresants, Vahl), and two of those being solid all-rounders, good at shooting and melee. I still feel like the non-sister units (death cult assassins, crusaders) feel a bit cut off from the rest of the overlapping buffs and whatnot of the rest of the faction, but hey, I'm not surprised they didn't focus on stuff that only has very old kits.

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
Was hyped for Chaos Gate, then I started reading about the dev

Complex Games is a leading mobile game development studio with a strong expertise in free-to-play game design and monetization, with over 11 years of...

Now i'll be pleasantly surprised if it isn't another 40k mobile game.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Was hyped for Chaos Gate, then I started reading about the dev

Now i'll be pleasantly surprised if it isn't another 40k mobile game.
In all fairness, before they made the (very well received) Killer Instinct reboot, Double Helix was best known for ports, mobile games, and a couple of really crappy movie tie-ins. If it's not weighted down with f2p mechanics, could still be good.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
tbh, the lore justtifies nurgle getting the love but at the same time I would love new noise marines and khorne berserkers (palatine guards and red butchers too) please.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what's this I'm hearing about some massive typo in the new Sisters of Battle codex? People are saying it makes a new unit borderline unplayable? Or is this just the usual new codex hyperbole???

Jan 11, 2019
Played my fist match this Friday after fifteen years. Crazy that we managed to finish a 400 points game in 3 hours. Back in the day my first game took me all day. 9th edition casual mode devs plz fix.

Playing Death Korps of Krieg ATM... Feels good to be back.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So what's this I'm hearing about some massive typo in the new Sisters of Battle codex? People are saying it makes a new unit borderline unplayable? Or is this just the usual new codex hyperbole???
It's the usual hyperbole. For the paragon warsuits, they have the same ability as the death guard to reduce damage by 1. But they forgot to add the 'to a minimum of one', so some are concerned some rules lawyers are going to claim they are thus immune to all D1 weapons. It's such an obvious typo, it'll be FAQ'd soon enough.

Last edited:

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
Played my fist match this Friday after fifteen years. Crazy that we managed to finish a 400 points game in 3 hours. Back in the day my first game took me all day. 9th edition casual mode devs plz fix.

Playing Death Korps of Krieg ATM... Feels good to be back.

Nice! And the more you play the faster you'll get, you'll eventually be finishing 2000 point games in under 3 hours :)

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
It's the usual hyperbole. For the paragon warsuits, they have the same ability as the death guard to reduce damage by 1. But they forgot to add the 'to a minimum of one', so some are concerned some rules lawyers are going to claim they are thus immune to all D1 weapons. It's such an obvious typo, it'll be FAQ'd soon enough.

This unit is super weird, cuz the other typo was that they it's a unit of three for 240, but it didn't specify you're paying 80 for each so it seems like you are paying 240 for each.

It's like the proofreaders ignore this particular unit entirely.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks that the absolute dearth of changes for the Tau is because they're getting a wholeass new approach in the next codex so they've decided that there's no point to making significant changes to this one.

The rest of me knows that it's just because nobody at GW gives a damn.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks that the absolute dearth of changes for the Tau is because they're getting a wholeass new approach in the next codex so they've decided that there's no point to making significant changes to this one.

The rest of me knows that it's just because nobody at GW gives a damn.
Yeah at this point it's either Tau are getting a top to bottom rework or GW just kills them

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Even more Marines? I play Black Templars and I don't want to see a new Codex until all the old armies have been fixed to playable levels. It's crazy how much money GW has left on the table in my case, by not giving anything for most of my armies for years. But I guess it's better than the 4 year hiatus caused by discontinuing WHFB.

edit: but Kromlech has made out like a bandit though. Love their stuff!

Last edited:

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Even more Marines? I play Black Templars and I don't want to see a new Codex until all the old armies have been fixed to playable levels. It's crazy how much money GW has left on the table in my case, by not giving anything for most of my armies for years. But I guess it's better than the 4 year hiatus caused by discontinuing WHFB.

edit: but Kromlech has made out like a bandit though. Love their stuff!

To be fair, places like puppets war/kromlech/popgoes the monkey etc biggest ranges are all are marine adjacent. The only thing that really competes are full botique ranges of imperial guard.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt that there is anything Black Templar related coming. Also, I think that is an Age of Sigmar miniature. They usually have AoS mentioned first in the last paragraph when it is an AoS model.

I def think there's something in the works for Black Templars (probably just Grimaldus and retinue (which that figure would be if it was def 40k related , valrak's definitely hinting at it). The rumors was always primaris helbrecht, and a new supplement (currently Black Templars have no rules but the faq since faith and fury so I"m a little surprised that he was hinting this was Templars related). And a codex supplement takes little effort compared to normal codexes.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm gonna jump back into the 40k game after a 7+ year absence. Was gonna jump back in last year but the COVID lockdowns hit the US literally a week after I bought a crapton of paints and models and I ended up having to sell them all :-(.

Anyway, gonna go back to my old Blood Angels since they were my old favorites from 5e. I wanna do All-Primaris since I want to future-proof my army and clearly they are the new Golden Child for the foreseeable future.

I want to build my army around Assault Intercessors and Bladeguard Vets, since they're both fluffy and very powerful units with BA's rules right now. What else should I consider to shore up the my army? I have anti-horde and anti-elite infantry covered well with Assault Int. and Bladeguards I would think, so I probably need to work on good anti-vehicle and anti-MC. I would think perhaps a some of the new Primaris vehicles might help there? Or perhaps the new eradicator unit???

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all. Haven't been keeping up with the discussions lately, but wanted to come say hi and that you really shouldn't sleep on Necromunda. If you like memorable moments more than being competitive, this game delivers. I got into Necromunda last month and it's the most fun I've had with a miniature game in a long time. Goonhammer has a good read on the matter.

Here's one ganger of mine.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we might be gettning new normal ork boyz afterall?

www.bolterandchainsword.com

New Ork Boyz Leak

New Ork Boyz leaked from the Tanith box - courtesy of Discord. Opposite them is the Cadian squad with the new upgrades.

(might be built with the beast snaggaz kit - so who knows).

So I'm gonna jump back into the 40k game after a 7+ year absence. Was gonna jump back in last year but the COVID lockdowns hit the US literally a week after I bought a crapton of paints and models and I ended up having to sell them all :-(.

Anyway, gonna go back to my old Blood Angels since they were my old favorites from 5e. I wanna do All-Primaris since I want to future-proof my army and clearly they are the new Golden Child for the foreseeable future.

I want to build my army around Assault Intercessors and Bladeguard Vets, since they're both fluffy and very powerful units with BA's rules right now. What else should I consider to shore up the my army? I have anti-horde and anti-elite infantry covered well with Assault Int. and Bladeguards I would think, so I probably need to work on good anti-vehicle and anti-MC. I would think perhaps a some of the new Primaris vehicles might help there? Or perhaps the new eradicator unit???

I'll just give a quick link for now. https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-blood-angels/

Mind you I would go for rule of cool before anything else, as units can get buffed and nerfed etc. Primaris also doesn't have many jump pack units, and Blood Angels are the jump pack faction so they're in a spot. But if you want pure primaris anti tank - tanks are bad, redemptor dread is good, eradicators are good, atv is decent enough.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we might be gettning new normal ork boyz afterall?

New Ork Boyz Leak

New Ork Boyz leaked from the Tanith box - courtesy of Discord. Opposite them is the Cadian squad with the new upgrades.

(might be built with the beast snaggaz kit - so who knows).

I'll just give a quick link for now. https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-blood-angels/

Mind you I would go for rule of cool before anything else, as units can get buffed and nerfed etc. Primaris also doesn't have many jump pack units, and Blood Angels are the jump pack faction so they're in a spot. But if you want pure primaris anti tank - tanks are bad, redemptor dread is good, eradicators are good, atv is decent enough.

I REALLY want to run a couple Redemptor Dreads backed up by a Primaris Techmarine, but they compete with Bladeguard in the Elites slot.

Guess I will go with Eradicators for now.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I am thinking for a 2000pt army I am going to run a detachment of Slaanesh with my Nurgle. 1x Keeper, 30x Deamonettes and 6x furies w/slaanesh marking.

This is with 2 other Nurgle detachments that are running like 4 HQs (between the 2) 3x Nurglings (9 total units), 30x plaguebearers, 3x Beasts of Nurgle and 1x Plauge Drone unit.

Main idea is to drop Nurglings upfront to gunk up the enemy and give the Slaanesh units enough time to get in melee range, then throughout the match just summon my HQs from Nurgle units that are on objective points to just continue the gunk and get close to objectives to help wipe out areas. Mamon Transfigured (Nurgle HQ) will be dirt easy to summon and he has a flamer, so that can knock out a few things on an objective. I need to actually work on the list and proxy in some slaanesh, but I think they should fit pretty nicely into the plan.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
Been lurking for a while as I finally got around to reactivating my account. Im relatively new to Warhammer but now I'm addicted.

A buddy of mine several years ago decided to jump back after probably 20 years. He picked up Underworlds since it was a quick game a not a huge commitment. This spiraled our to Blackstone Fortress, Warcry, Indomitus and Kill Team.

He does the bulk of collecting and painting, but I've been working on a Sisters army but it's a slow process since I'm a pretty average painter.

Id love to see Kill Team lean closer to Warcry in the future. Warcry is our favorite game but I prefer the 40K setting. Hopefully there will be Kill Team 2.0 later this year.

Oct 26, 2017
Ooohhhh wow.

Plastic Heresy Box Leak

Ladies and gentleman, we got them.
My estimate.

Aug reveal at gen con.
Probable box
30x tact (new) primaris scale
5x termi
1x aplastic Spartan
1x plastic new contemptor
2x hq
Probable price 210-265$

Current preorder time estimates
June 19-july aos 3.0 2 week pre order
July 3, Ork army start preorder
July 10 Ork book and half the kits go live
Please note still 4-5 More Ork kits to be revealed

Oct 26, 2017
Been lurking for a while as I finally got around to reactivating my account. Im relatively new to Warhammer but now I'm addicted.

A buddy of mine several years ago decided to jump back after probably 20 years. He picked up Underworlds since it was a quick game a not a huge commitment. This spiraled our to Blackstone Fortress, Warcry, Indomitus and Kill Team.

He does the bulk of collecting and painting, but I've been working on a Sisters army but it's a slow process since I'm a pretty average painter.

Id love to see Kill Team lean closer to Warcry in the future. Warcry is our favorite game but I prefer the 40K setting. Hopefully there will be Kill Team 2.0 later this year.
Take your time, I say start small and work up.

Contrast paints are cool.
Contrast white is a friggin miracle. It can produce amazing whites with little to no effort. Then you can add 1 layer of highlights after it's done it's magic.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
My estimate.

Aug reveal at gen con.
Probable box
30x tact (new) primaris scale
5x termi
1x aplastic Spartan
1x plastic new contemptor
2x hq
Probable price 210-265$

Current preorder time estimates
June 19-july aos 3.0 2 week pre order
July 3, Ork army start preorder
July 10 Ork book and half the kits go live
Please note still 4-5 More Ork kits to be revealed

I'm cool with it except i hate mark VI, would have loved chaos marine refresh scale mark III or IV (I know their kits are relatively new so mehh).

Oct 26, 2017
I'm cool with it except i hate mark VI, would have loved chaos marine refresh scale mark III or IV (I know their kits are relatively new so mehh).
Well, these appear to either be in Primaris scale, or the new scale for chaos Marines.
So with minor conversions you can make em different enough I feel.

I much prefer the mark 5 helmets and general bolted on additional plates and hope we see some actual plastic for them

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Well, these appear to either be in Primaris scale, or the new scale for chaos Marines.
So with minor conversions you can make em different enough I feel.

I much prefer the mark 5 helmets and general bolted on additional plates and hope we see some actual plastic for them

Oh these are probably new chaos scale/space marine heroes scale.

Oct 28, 2017
So what rules do you need to play a lengthy Necromunda campaign with everything from trading post to scenarios? There's like a billion rulebooks, unlike the original which pretty much had two, and it doesn't even look like the new box set has the full rulebook either.

Pretty annoying if you ask me. The original Necromunda box might have had some god awful Orlock and Goliath sculpts but that cardboard terrain with plastic bulkheads is still legit amazing and it gave you the rulebook and sourcebook. I know some people get sniffy about cardboard terrain but if it drives the price down and give you easily verticality, it does its job perfectly.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
Take your time, I say start small and work up.

Contrast paints are cool.
Contrast white is a friggin miracle. It can produce amazing whites with little to no effort. Then you can add 1 layer of highlights after it's done it's magic.

Thanks. I purchased a small amount of sisters a guy was selling..he had started them ans used a gold/yellow colour scheme which looks pretty sharp. I'll have to post some here later.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
New Cadian kits are up for pre-order.

Glad I got them years ago when they were £18. Cus they ain't worth £11 extra for new heads.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
New Cadian kits are up for pre-order.

Glad I got them years ago when they were £18. Cus they ain't worth £11 extra for new heads.

This is why I am going through other companies for my imperial guard. Especially since I want to do a specialized Abhuman variant of IG. I won't be able to use them at offical GW stores, sure, but at least I can play them with my friend and in other spaces that would allow it. I just don't like how they've treated the thing as a whole. IG consists of both women and men. The Imperium of Man doesn't care about your gender. They just care about whether or not you are willing to die for the Emperor. Just adding in some additional heads and charging more for those bits does not make the remainder of the figures match up with the lore IMO. And that's why I opted to go through other companies for my Imperial Guard.

Speaking of those, I got mine in yesterday. Took 2-3 months for them to print everything out and ship it to me, but it was nice receiving them. I need to clean some up and then glue them together, then I'll get some pictures up of them.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
So what rules do you need to play a lengthy Necromunda campaign with everything from trading post to scenarios? There's like a billion rulebooks, unlike the original which pretty much had two, and it doesn't even look like the new box set has the full rulebook either.

Pretty annoying if you ask me. The original Necromunda box might have had some god awful Orlock and Goliath sculpts but that cardboard terrain with plastic bulkheads is still legit amazing and it gave you the rulebook and sourcebook. I know some people get sniffy about cardboard terrain but if it drives the price down and give you easily verticality, it does its job perfectly.

R/Necromunda has a good infographic on the matter. Yaktribe also has some helpful tools.