• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else kinda get the vibe that the 40k side of things is kinda comprised of the b-team at this point? Like, AoS gets so much cool stuff and 40k is struggling on everything but the Black Library offerings.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
I mean to be fair that is a huge sisters release, and I guess if there is a huge amount of Orks to show off on Friday I can understand them not wanting to overshadow one another. Probably should not have shown so much in advance.
Just most likely means no World Eaters this time
Maybe we will be getting the Tanith First and Only tomorrow

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else kinda get the vibe that the 40k side of things is kinda comprised of the b-team at this point? Like, AoS gets so much cool stuff and 40k is struggling on everything but the Black Library offerings.

So you know those collectible coins you can get from warhammer stores? They have released six of them so far.

These are the factions repped. Daughters of Khaine, Death Guard, AoS slaanesh, Lumineth, Chaos Demons (bela'kor), and Ghal Maraz (soulblight).

So I'm definitely feeling what you are feeling. Especially, since people think about AoS 3.0 push is happening.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I went demons, I can play both sides ;)
Your treason against the greater good will not be forgotten, but you probably made the right call.
So you know those collectible coins you can get from warhammer stores? They have released siz of them so far.

These are the factions repped. Daughters of Khaine, Death Guard, AoS slaanesh, Lumineth, Chaos Demons (bela'kor), and Ghal Maraz (soulblight).

So I'm definitely feeling what you are feeling. Especially, since people think about AoS 3.0 push is happening.
Yeah. Like, people meme about it, but if you're an AoS fan of any given faction, you're eating well. All kinds of cool stuff on a pretty regular basis. 40k feels like it's stagnated to a much greater degree. We've had 2 editions in a row headlined by Space Marines, and when stuff for other factions does come out, it's not hyped up nearly as much. There's just fewer toys to go around, it feels.

The rules are good, the new Dawn of Fire books are good... but there's a lot that feels lacking.
I mean to be fair that is a huge sisters release, and I guess if there is a huge amount of Orks to show off on Friday I can understand them not wanting to overshadow one another. Probably should not have shown so much in advance.
I guess, but if it's Orks, we've already seen a bunch of those signature models too. It's just a mess.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

Basically since the big space marine and necron waves, we've had like two single figures (lelith and the one dg solo) vs AoS slaanesh, lumineth (which is the same size as sisters of battle, who they have an oddly a pretty simliar release pattern too), Sons of Behamat, with AoS likely getting the big 3.0 push soon. I'd say the soul blight and sisters of battles waves are pretty similiar.

Don't get me wrong those fist two waves were big, but like i'm expecting huge AoS waves, and barely anything for 40k asides from orks in the future. It's kinda bleak.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd be very surprised if 40k doesn't introduce a new faction this edition but I feel like they are kinda trapped in having so many huge factions desperately in need of a range update after 20-30 years of minis. At this rate it's going to take them 3 years just to get everyone up to par in 9th.

Listening to the interview with the studio head, they've done a good job in rounding out the sisters range for melee. It's true that most armies were 'bolter infantry plus a bus of repentia and vehicle support', and seeing as the sisters were part of the promo for 9th, and increasing the diversity of the model kits is also a big push, I can see why they've put so much energy into pushing the sisters and then doing so again.

Age of Sigmar has the advantage in that even though they haven't returned to many forces, the models are all obviously recent and look cohesive. The Eldar and Imperial Guard still have minis going back to the early 90s, with the current ranges being an ad-hoc hotchpotch of so many different styles and generations. Tau, Orks and Tyranids at least still look fairly cohesive on the tabletop, even though massive chunks of their core kits are showing their age too. Eldar having suffered from a big push into finecast has to be a priority to get those aspect warriors updated in plastic.

To me it feels like all of those are huge projects they keep avoiding, so I'm expecting a big blowout on the Orks later this week. Fingers crossed for the core infantry to get a refresh. Maybe it's a lot to expect them to get their entire product line up to date within one edition though.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Like, people meme about it, but if you're an AoS fan of any given faction, you're eating well. All kinds of cool stuff on a pretty regular basis. 40k feels like it's stagnated to a much greater degree. We've had 2 editions in a row headlined by Space Marines, and when stuff for other factions does come out, it's not hyped up nearly as much. There's just fewer toys to go around, it feels.

I mean name an edition that wasn't headlined by Space Marines! And this entire show was basically SoB. The output isn't just there though and it's leaving people upset though, especially when their is big balance issues atm (hi 1w chaos space marines and dark eldar breaking the game right now).

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not tremendously exciting for anyone other than diehard Sororitas fans. Have to hope they're keeping something more comprehensive for Friday that they couldn't fit in alongside today's stuff.

Last edited:

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

Not at all.

New Sisters of Battle stuff looks great (with a High Lord of Terra). And so do the new Necrons (amazing Void Dragon shard model) and the upcoming new Ork miniatures. For the past four years or so, the community has voted a 40k model as the model of the year, over any AoS models.

AoS stuff looks fantastic, but aesthetically it does not really work for me. I am glad that 40k is not crazy as AoS, and that both ranges are still different.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I would think most people would just vote the coolest model, but this is very subjective. :)

In any case, 40k is hardly struggling. It is thriving.

I think the issue was more that AoS has gotten the lions share or the new releases asides from space Marines and Necrons, and are are likely to get Space Marine and Necrons sized releases Sooner than later with AoS 3.0

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
To me it feels like all of those are huge projects they keep avoiding, so I'm expecting a big blowout on the Orks later this week. Fingers crossed for the core infantry to get a refresh. Maybe it's a lot to expect them to get their entire product line up to date within one edition though.

Err, I think we saw the new ork boys already no? They're not really getting a refresh perse but um Beast Snaggad. (with a new warboss - which I think was the biggest hole in the orc lineup).

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Err, I think we saw the new ork boys already no? They're not really getting a refresh perse but um Beast Snaggad. (with a new warboss - which I think was the biggest hole in the orc lineup).
Yeah, I think this is part of what's fueling my current dissatisfaction; we'd already seen most of the new Sororitas toys, and we've probably seen most of what they're going to do for Orks. The dripfeed of release undercuts the presentation; I would've much preferred if they kept it to new stuff and breezed through the things they've already shared rather than dwelling on them.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think this is part of what's fueling my current dissatisfaction; we'd already seen most of the new Sororitas toys, and we've probably seen most of what they're going to do for Orks. The dripfeed of release undercuts the presentation; I would've much preferred if they kept it to new stuff and breezed through the things they've already shared rather than dwelling on them.

For sure, them talking about the Palatine in the show really irked me as that model was already released.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I think the issue was more that AoS has gotten the lions share or the new releases asides from space Marines and Necrons, and are are likely to get Space Marine and Necrons sized releases Sooner than later with AoS 3.0

I only started playing WH40k around 4 - 5 years ago for the first time, and I feel like there is constantly something new. Since I started we have seen the release of: Magnus the Red, Guilliman, Mortarion and new Death Guard range, new Space Marines range, new Adeptus Custodes faction, new Imperial Knight models, new Chaos Knights faction, a lot of new stuff for Genestealer Cults, Orks, and Ad Mec. More recently, new Necrons and Sisters of Battle. That's a lot.

AoS is a new game, every faction range is completely new at release. It is easy to perceive this as AoS getting a lion share of the new stuff but I don't think that is correct.

With WH40k, they need to update the older armies one by one, without removing those armies from the game for the next few years or so. Not that different from what they are essentially doing with AoS by introducing reimagined Warhammer Fantasy factions to AoS.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's true.

On a fundamental level, I think there's also another issue in why AoS feels so much more refreshing at times. The imperium is more the viewpoint faction than any faction in AoS (or WFB before it) ever was. They make up more than half the forces, and guns-tanks-and-spaceships stuff is all manufactured- it's hard to surprise people when so many of the design aesthetics of what various imperial tanks, walkers, infantry and weapons look like is enshrined in stone, and conforms to defined roles. It's like, if someone had said 'a Sisters main battle tank' a couple of months ago, it is a surprise to no one that their mind would immediately think 'it'll look like a cross between a sisters rhino and a Predator'. Same goes for the design aesthetics of the Eldar (that to be fair was an instant classic), when a lot of their entire race's industrial output has been defined through 40K, Epic 40,000, BFG etc over 30 years, to the point where if someone said 'eldar fighter jet' before the kit was released, I bet loads of people could sketch something similar to what eventually came out.

Meanwhile AoS was specifically designed to both be a blank canvas for fantasy and also to get away from the templates of fantasy that locked a lot of the aesthetics in for WFB high elves, wood elves, dwarves, orcs and undead etc into being predictable, and so there are very few baselines it has to contend to. Even when it makes fun nods to the past (like aspects of the Lumineth being updates of High Elves).

What I found interesting with the big centaur thing yesterday was that the first thing that sprang to my mind when looking at the silhouette was the beastmen centigors and chaos dragon ogres for the brute centaur archetype, rather than a demigod of destruction for orcs and ogres. But it's seemingly deliberately throwing that predictability out of the window.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ah I must have missed that, thanks!

edit- I agree with what you said about the Palatine too. I don't think they needed to reintroduce all the half dozen Sororitas kits they've shown over the last few months, it felt a bit indulgent when they said they've got 'lots to show'. If Friday is similarly mostly the ork stuff they've already shown plus a new kit or two, that'll make a total of what, 4 previously unseen 40K miniatures? That's less than the entire new vampire lineup that took up only half of the AoS show.

Last edited:

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I only started playing WH40k around 4 - 5 years ago for the first time, and I feel like there is constantly something new. Since I started we have seen the release of: Magnus the Red, Guilliman, Mortarion and new Death Guard range, new Space Marines range, new Adeptus Custodes faction, new Imperial Knight models, new Chaos Knights faction, a lot of new stuff for Genestealer Cults, Orks, and Ad Mec. More recently, new Necrons and Sisters of Battle. That's a lot.

AoS is a new game, every faction range is completely new at release. It is easy to perceive this as AoS getting a lion share of the new stuff but I don't think that is correct.

With WH40k, they need to update the older armies one by one, without removing those armies from the game for the next few years or so. Not that different from what they are essentially doing with AoS by introducing reimagined Warhammer Fantasy factions to AoS.

Since July of last year, asides from the Necrons and Space marine ranges (which are huge don't me wrong ... but will be likely mirrored by huge AoS 3.0 releases that are coming out soon).

We've had a lumineth second wave that's pretty much the same size as the Sob second wave, Sons of Behamat introduced, AoS slaneeshi (and these slaneeshi were AoS specific), as for 40k we got a new Lelith and a DG HQ and an upcoming AM HQ. Bela'kor is game neutral, and i know missing a good amount more for AoS (I know they got some morathi units as well)

As for new stuff on the horizon for both, we're getting Sob 2.0 and a substantial ork range touch up (probably on friday), while AoS introducing Kragnos, a whole lot of Soublight and we're pretty much expecting AoS 3.0 on sat. I just think covid impacted 40k a ton more then AoS or something.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Ah I must have missed that, thanks!

edit- I agree with what you said about the Palatine too. I don't think they needed to reintroduce all the half dozen Sororitas kits they've shown over the last few months, it felt a bit indulgent when they said they've got 'lots to show'. If Friday is similarly mostly the ork stuff they've already shown plus a new kit or two, that'll make a total of what, 4 previously unseen 40K miniatures? That's less than the entire new vampire lineup that took up only half of the AoS show.

I mean part of this is we don't know what's being shown on Saturday? Like if we plastic horus heresy 2.0 shown on Saturday or something, maybe the AoS/40K looks fine. (I mean it doesn't open them up to alot of complaints though about hating xenos but if anything ninth edition has been really unkind to chaos of all factions).

As for the Orks, part of the problem was the intro trailer was so good.

www.youtube.com

Beast Snagga Orks Sighted

Sumfin big iz comin' and itz gonna be mean an' green! Find out more in our online preview: https://bit.ly/3vFDuR2 Don't‌ ‌forget‌ ‌to‌ ‌like,‌ ‌share‌ ‌and‌...

Look at that video and we know what the lineup is (we know about the Squighog Boy, the Beast Snagga Boy, and it looks like we're a warboss and that one vehicle droven by a Squig). Hopefully they surprise us a bit, but I doubt I will be surprised too much after today.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
I think part of it is that 40k needs something like Underworlds where the designers can experiment with new concepts. Small bespoke items where they play with not just the look but posing. As said above alot of the various factions design aesthetic has been developed over 30 years and it can be hard to be surprised by that. It's why I started an AdMech army because the designs felt new (who could have predicted Davinci style birdmen?). Its also why I'm working on a genestealer cult army because it's a chance to explore a side of the imperium that doesnt get as much attention.

I feel that part of it is also that Chaos has gotten a lot of focus the last two editions and that there are a lot of similarities to the imperial aesthetic. Hopefully when they get back around to Xenos armies they are more willing to play with design (looking at you Tau with the constant new battle suits instead of new alien auxiliaries).

I feel like Neceomunda is a good example of what I want from imperium designs but it also feels like it's a bit too specific to Necromunda instead of the wider armies (unless you are playing guard and want to do some conversions). That's why I'm excited for the various Guilders and Ratskins since those never got models before.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I can agree to that?

I'm happy with the indomitus marines for the most part (fix the buggy and speeder and I would be super happy with the wave), Necrons were well received, I think new sob look ace except for the Dogmata and even then I think she looks fine in an army, and all the Beast Snaggaz look good to me so far(not a real fan of the squig hog boys).

I just think they've been really slow, and tbh game balance being an issue is really bad when compared to their release schedule (like sisters of battle are the second strongest army at this point and really don't need a codex while factions like gsc and tau are just crying).

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Have GSC ever not been crying? I always had the impression that they were a high-skill floor faction who nonetheless tended to fall flat against anyone wise to their shenanigans.

Though I've heard they're really solid in Necromunda, which makes sense since they're not the underdogs there.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Agree on the 40k Underworld's style game. They gave been playing 40k miniature design quite safe for a while.

Blackstone Fortress gave them an opportunity to do some experimenting. I think Underworld's needs to end before they can make a 40k style game.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked Warhammer Community for the reveals. They legit wasted a whole live stream for that shit? lmao

Ya'll are right 40k is straight up ran by the b-team. What a joke.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

2021-05-05kjjto.png

:D :D :D

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. YES. YES.

Is just those? I need Tona. And Milo, where is Milo?

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I own some printed Thunderhawks for Epic, but I totally need to grab at least one of the new ones from Aeronautica. Such a pretty thing.

hqXb7zf.jpg

The Eldar ships are great too. But those can wait :P