• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
Finished an Exocrine for my fledgling tyranids
166297615_10157804679536899_700451592886087951_n.jpg

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
That new Sisters model doesn't bother me too much except for the head. What the fuck happened there?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That new Sisters model is Not Good. Between this and the baby carrier I'm wondering if they don't need to look at a shakeup over whoever's in charge of the Sisters line.
Finished an Exocrine for my fledgling tyranids
166297615_10157804679536899_700451592886087951_n.jpg
This, on the other hand, is gorgeous. Good god.

Nice touch with the basing too.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I get the reference with the new Sister but damn it's so boring.

That Exocrine is fabulous! Love the base too.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
That new Sisters model doesn't bother me too much except for the head. What the fuck happened there?

I'm the same. Honestly, the paint job doesn't do too much to flatter the head, but I will also be running the helmet if I ever get this figure (which sisters are on the lower priority for me to get).

I think the other issue that people have mentioned in other places that they don't like is the oversized hands, but I kinda like them, since it looks like she's wearing reinforced gloves.

Tbh, the problem with the pose isn't that it's not dynamic, it's just a but unnatural, compare the mechanicus techengineer to her, and he doesn't look nearly as rigid while having the same general pose.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't actually mind the face too much (I've seen worse, frankly) but the armour/outfit is too flat for the pose the model has. I think it would have looked a lot better with some implied motion to give that poncho-esque thing a bit more going on..

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble understing Intercessors Sergeants equipment options :

nJpNoCV.png

Can I have him carry his bolt rifle / auto bolt + a melee weapon ? Its unclear and confusing wording all around

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

nJpNoCV.png

Can I have him carry his bolt rifle / auto bolt + a melee weapon ? Its unclear and confusing wording all around

Yes, you can the weird wording is due to replacing the bolt rifle with a plasma pistol or hand flamer (or the other two bits but mainly those two). If you have an assault intercessors kit, they come with sheathed (well more like maglocked ) chains words that you can just attach.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

nJpNoCV.png

Some of it quite redundant but it's to avoid having to rely on an FAQ.

The first bit means that if he doesnt have one of the described melee weapons, you can swap the rifle for one of then.

The second bit means that you can take one of the described melee weapons along with the rifle.

You have to go through it step by step. Does he have this? Then I can swap it for this. Does not have this? Then I can take one.

So for example;

- You could have a Sargent with a bolt rifle and nothing else.
- You could have a Sargent with a bolt rifle and a power sword.
- You can have a Sargent with a plasma pistol and a power sword.
- You cannot have a Sargent with a power sword or chainsword and another melee weapon.

Edit:

So to be clear though:

- You can swap a rifle for a hand flame, heavy pistol, power sword or chainsword.

- As long as did not swap it for a power sword or chainsword, you can take either a chainsword, power sword, power fist or thunder hammer as well.

- Note that as written it does not say you must swap the rifle to bring the additional melee weapon.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Some of it quite redundant but it's to avoid having to rely on an FAQ.

The first bit means that if he doesnt have one of the described melee weapons, you can swap the rifle for one of then.

The second bit means that you can take one of the described melee weapons along with the rifle.

You have to go through it step by step. Does he have this? Then I can swap it for this. Does not have this? Then I can take one.

So for example;

- You could have a Sargent with a bolt rifle and nothing else.
- You could have a Sargent with a bolt rifle and a power sword.
- You can have a Sargent with a plasma pistol and a power sword.
- You cannot have a Sargent with a power sword or chainsword and another melee weapon.

Edit:

So to be clear though:

- You can swap a rifle for a hand flame, heavy pistol, power sword or chainsword.

- As long as did not swap it for a power sword or chainsword, you can take either a chainsword, power sword, power fist or thunder hammer as well.

- Note that as written it does not say you must swap the rifle to bring the additional melee weapon.

Thanks a lot. It makes more sens

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably something that everyone knows but me, but I've just noticed that with the Death Guard at least they have changed the wargear options in 9th to only allow loadouts that are available from one box set. So, for example, with the Blightlords in 8th you could equip any of them with combi weapons (you could have all 5 models in a unit running around with combi-flamers if you wanted) however in 9th you can now only have 1 combi flamer, melta or plasma per 5 models because the base kit for the Blightlords only has 1 of each of those weapon options.

I dunno if this carries among all the different armies (has anyone else noticed this?) but if so then I am gonna predict their are gonna be some annoyed folk when the CSM codex is finally out for 9th. More then a few people brought multiple Havoc squads so they could run a 5 man teams all rocking the Reaper Chaincannon, if GW change it so you can only run 1 per squad in line with the kit then that is a lot of wasted money.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This is probably something that everyone knows but me, but I've just noticed that with the Death Guard at least they have changed the wargear options in 9th to only allow loadouts that are available from one box set. So, for example, with the Blightlords in 8th you could equip any of them with combi weapons (you could have all 5 models in a unit running around with combi-flamers if you wanted) however in 9th you can now only have 1 combi flamer, melta or plasma per 5 models because the base kit for the Blightlords only has 1 of each of those weapon options.

I dunno if this carries among all the different armies (has anyone else noticed this?) but if so then I am gonna predict their are gonna be some annoyed folk when the CSM codex is finally out for 9th. More then a few people brought multiple Havoc squads so they could run a 5 man teams all rocking the Reaper Chaincannon, if GW change it so you can only run 1 per squad in line with the kit then that is a lot of wasted money.

They've definitely been on a streak of removing items that don't have official models with that faction. My Horsey Guardsmen being extradited to the shelf to gather dust for example.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying stuff lately like this intercessor sergeant with custom pose, a bit of kitbashing and green stuff :

ikljIxe.png

sadly the army painter spray exploded and covered him in thick spots of paint and I couldnt save it / wash it in time but tried still to save the model. Its very dirty and there's way to much paint but I wanted to save the fig and still try to paint it. Deathwatch, was fitting for it to fight a xeno. The rifle is from another arm, I cut and reverse the sword and then cut open the tyranid (?) to have the sword sit in a gaping wound. I drilled bullet holes and ricochet on its carapace and big slashes (can't see on this angle) to make the alien more battle damaged. I tried to have both the hanging rifle, the relic and the seal leaning with the general way of the pose, to have a flow. Maybe its not balanced right but I tried to have a feel for the movement. Too bad the paint isn't good. I'll do better next time.

KhtSORM.jpg

I also tried to dry some moss from the garden and then chop it to bit, then cover the infiltrator's cloak in white glue and bath them in chopped moss. It first wanted to go for a grass finish and had too much fun and then went more and more overboard to have them wear a forest on their head. I found it funny to have their hood entirely covered in moss and only the angle right in front of their face slightly opened. Still not satisfied with their rifle. Its too... uniform, even after contrast and shade. I should try free hand some camo patern or dirt.

Also this guy was probably the most work I had to put into a fig yet, very hard to get into because so many little details and that feeling of not having a result until the end. But pretty satisfied with the result. Still tons of clean up I could and should do, tons of technique I should learn and apply to get cleaner result but I'm satisfied with the result enough to show it.

XeFqNDe.png

I really enjoy these terminators armor.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Says no longer available on the website. Did it sell out?
Pretty much. Most of the 3rd party retailers I was watching sold out in ~5 minutes and it seems like its even out on the GW webstore. You might be too late for a day 1 copy but if you're interested it will defo be back in stock. My local game store contact told me they've been able to order more copies freely so they'll be a 2nd wave.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
I've been trying stuff lately like this intercessor sergeant with custom pose, a bit of kitbashing and green stuff :

ikljIxe.png

sadly the army painter spray exploded and covered him in thick spots of paint and I couldnt save it / wash it in time but tried still to save the model. Its very dirty and there's way to much paint but I wanted to save the fig and still try to paint it. Deathwatch, was fitting for it to fight a xeno. The rifle is from another arm, I cut and reverse the sword and then cut open the tyranid (?) to have the sword sit in a gaping wound. I drilled bullet holes and ricochet on its carapace and big slashes (can't see on this angle) to make the alien more battle damaged. I tried to have both the hanging rifle, the relic and the seal leaning with the general way of the pose, to have a flow. Maybe its not balanced right but I tried to have a feel for the movement. Too bad the paint isn't good. I'll do better next time.

KhtSORM.jpg

I also tried to dry some moss from the garden and then chop it to bit, then cover the infiltrator's cloak in white glue and bath them in chopped moss. It first wanted to go for a grass finish and had too much fun and then went more and more overboard to have them wear a forest on their head. I found it funny to have their hood entirely covered in moss and only the angle right in front of their face slightly opened. Still not satisfied with their rifle. Its too... uniform, even after contrast and shade. I should try free hand some camo patern or dirt.

Also this guy was probably the most work I had to put into a fig yet, very hard to get into because so many little details and that feeling of not having a result until the end. But pretty satisfied with the result. Still tons of clean up I could and should do, tons of technique I should learn and apply to get cleaner result but I'm satisfied with the result enough to show it.

XeFqNDe.png

I really enjoy these terminators armor.
I'm jealous of your painting, especially that last dude. Fantastic stuff.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm jealous of your painting, especially that last dude. Fantastic stuff.

I started 3 months ago painting minis. I never painted anything before in my life. Yes I have a bit of time, but its nothing you can't do if I can do it.
Its nothing fancy either : few contrast, base and shade paints from Citadel. Base brush from starter kit... double transfer tiny text on the leg.

I'm still very impressed by people posting here, on reddit, youtube, everywhere doing glazing, lining, weathering, layering, dry brushing, transitions and tons of insanely precise stuff. I'm nowhere near that. Sometimes though, when I take a zoomed in pictures like these, the camera sees more details and its so frustrating because it looks horrible, so many mistakes, default, when my eyes can't see them lol

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

I have a feeling they're going to keep Havoc squads the way they are. 9th Ed Devastator Squads are allowed to run mono-weapon loadouts like usual and their boxset doesn't contain 4 of each weapon.

The Death Guard changes were honestly needed to stop Death Guard players from building 5 man squads consisting nothing but special weapons. The rules changes have done a lot to incentivize Death Guard players to play around with loadouts and squad sizes of plague marine squads, which many didn't even bother with because they were bad, instead of packing as many D2+ weapons in a blast immune squad as possible. As a Death Guard player, the greatest boon of the new Death Guard codex is that so much of their army is good that you're able to have a lot more variety without being complete garbage.

Its sort of like Ad Mech where the codex is decently designed enough that there's only like one or two units that are clearly bad. Maybe some suboptimal units but nothing like buying a land raider or a bunch of ogryns.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I finished both dark Imperium books, both watchers of the throne, and Devastation of Baal.

I can say without even the slightest hesitation that these are the best novels for any kind of science fiction I have ever read. The whole time during each book I could not put any of them down. Not even all of the Old Republic books which was previously my favorite sci-fi novels did that to me.

Warhammer 40K lore is like a drug. The setting is fantastic and the characters are even better. Guilliman, Aleya, Valerian, and Dante were all fantastic protagonists. Hell even Gabriel Seth was a bit of fun to read.

Oct 28, 2017
The books, for the most part, are objectively bad. You've read a lot of the decent/good ones.

I think in the Horus Heresy series, there's only a few that are actually worth reading. A whole load of them are incredibly plodding and even worse is when they aren't entirely sure where to go with the character, like anything with Fulgrim is legitimately woeful and Horus' is just ultimately a pretty uninteresting character amusingly enough.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
The books, for the most part, are objectively bad. You've read a lot of the decent/good ones.

I agree with the first part (many / most of the books are bad) but disagree with the second part (they have read most of the good ones). At this point they have read like 3 Guy Haley books and 2 Chris Wraight books, without touching a single Dan Abnett or Aaron Dembski-Bowden title.

As for the Horus Heresy books, I tend to find most are decent, some are great, and, yes there are some plodding ones. My personal favorites have been by Abnett, Wraight, ADB and John French.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
As for the Horus Heresy books, I tend to find most are decent, some are great, and, yes there are some plodding ones.

Even the "bad" ones are saved because there is always some tie in with another book, part of the lore, or planting the seeds for payoff somewhere else down the line. There isn't a sci fi universe that can touch it. The two biggest, Star Wars & Star Trek, spend way too much time on the human/good guys. This would be comparable to 40k just showing the human side and rarely if ever delving into the other factions. Instead there are dozens of factions that all get their time to shine. Furthermore, each individual race/faction is amazingly complex and multi layered with intricate backgrounds, motivations, and internal conflicts. The list of heroes & villains in 40k are infinite. A human gang fight in slums of Necromunda can be as complex and engaging as a system wide space battle between alien factions. It is really fascinating to me how GW has diversified and built upon its lore over the past several decades.

The HH series itself is super interesting IMO. I don't believe there has ever been anything like it ever in the history of literature, right? It is the MCU of books. Imagine the pitch meeting where they decided to write a hundred interconnected novels by dozens of different writers over decades based off of a short story written for White Dwarf. Its madness. I can't believe it is half as good as it turned out, warts and all.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Okay so I finished both dark Imperium books, both watchers of the throne, and Devastation of Baal.

I can say without even the slightest hesitation that these are the best novels for any kind of science fiction I have ever read. The whole time during each book I could not put any of them down. Not even all of the Old Republic books which was previously my favorite sci-fi novels did that to me.

Warhammer 40K lore is like a drug. The setting is fantastic and the characters are even better. Guilliman, Aleya, Valerian, and Dante were all fantastic protagonists. Hell even Gabriel Seth was a bit of fun to read.

I don't know if you've read them yet but there are three series I can recommend if you want more 40k.

Eisenhorn (plus all the offshoots) - About an Ordo Xenos inquisitor and his battles against the enemies of the Imperium. The books about Eisenhorn himself are probably the best 40k books I've read.

Gaunt's Ghosts - About a regiment of the imperial guard. So far 16 books have been published, I've only read two but both were really good.

Ciaphas Cain - Follows the heroics of Commissar Ciaphas Cain and his trusty aide Jurgen. One of the few 40k series that can be a bit light hearted from time to time.

meatpuppet

Dec 4, 2018
I don't know if you've read them yet but there are three series I can recommend if you want more 40k.

Eisenhorn (plus all the offshoots) - About an Ordo Xenos inquisitor and his battles against the enemies of the Imperium. The books about Eisenhorn himself are probably the best 40k books I've read.

Gaunt's Ghosts - About a regiment of the imperial guard. So far 16 books have been published, I've only read two but both were really good.

Ciaphas Cain - Follows the heroics of Commissar Ciaphas Cain and his trusty aide Jurgen. One of the few 40k series that can be a bit light hearted from time to time.

Gaunts Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain are both great series, and very different from the space marine focused books.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Appreciated!

Oct 28, 2017
The issue with "it serves the lore" is that the underlying lore behind, say, Fulgrim's turn is ultimately uninteresting because the character trait that defines him and the Emperor's Children are ultimately uninteresting. That's the issue facing a lot of 30K/40K books and the books often lean hard into these flaws to create conflict.

As science fiction books, a lot are objectively bad with the amount of Space Marine tropes that they cycle through repeatedly and the amount of repetition involved. It's no surprise a lot of decent to good books focus on Inquisitors.

If one was to buy the 12 book HH starter collection from Amazon, I'd argue the only books able to stand on their two feet and call themselves as good science fiction would be Legion and A Thousand Sons (it's companion Prospero Burn starts to go down Space Marine chapter cliches unfortunately).

There's actually more bad books - Galaxy in Flames isn't good, Fulgrim is aggressively stupid, Battle for the Abyss is actually pointless especially in a lore perspective, and Fallen Angels follows the Games Workshop problem of desperately trying to make the Dark Angel's and their chapter gimmick interesting - than good books in that collection. The Fallen plot line gets aggressively stupid in the 40K era books, mainly because it's clear no one besides the Dark Angels care. Beyond that, I think there's The First Heretic, Know No Fear and the Unremembered Empire being books that can stand on their own two feet.

I'm still reading them, because I like 40K. But there are a lot of bad novels in the Black Library collection and a lot of them are not short books.

Last edited:

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
The issue with "it serves the lore" is that the underlying lore behind, say, Fulgrim's turn is ultimately uninteresting because the character trait that defines him and the Emperor's Children are ultimately uninteresting. That's the issue facing a lot of 30K/40K books and the books often lean hard into these flaws to create conflict.

As science fiction books, a lot are objectively bad with the amount of Space Marine tropes that they cycle through repeatedly and the amount of repetition involved. It's no surprise a lot of decent to good books focus on Inquisitors.

If one was to buy the 12 book HH starter collection from Amazon, I'd argue the only books able to stand on their two feet and call themselves as good science fiction would be Legion and A Thousand Sons (it's companion Prospero Burn starts to go down Space Marine chapter cliches unfortunately).

There's actually more bad books - Galaxy in Flames isn't good, Fulgrim is aggressively stupid, Battle for the Abyss is actually pointless especially in a lore perspective, and Fallen Angels follows the Games Workshop problem of desperately trying to make the Dark Angel's and their chapter gimmick interesting - than good books in that collection. The Fallen plot line gets aggressively stupid in the 40K era books, mainly because it's clear no one besides the Dark Angels care. Beyond that, I think there's The First Heretic, Know No Fear and the Unremembered Empire being books that can stand on their own two feet.

I'm still reading them, because I like 40K. But there are a lot of bad novels in the Black Library collection and a lot of them are not short books.

BL is pretty hit or miss though I think their quality control has gotten better recently, at least the caliber of authors has. My biggest disappointment is how damn expensive they are now with a typical hardback release for a 250 page novel being over $20. Pay that, go ebook, or wait a year for the paperback. I know it was on purpose but they've basically abandoned the mass market in order to squeeze more margin out of their fanbase.

Oct 28, 2017
Black Library sales have been slumping for a while now. The problem is that there's no appeal outside of Warhammer fans because the majority of decent ones, like the Gaunt's Ghosts series, are basically beach-side fodder. Doesn't mean you should feel bad for liking them; because they're a lot of fun, but they're not great science fiction really.

The high prices don't really help things either, though I have to imagine that's on purpose now.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
The Warhammer crime books are pretty good and focus on smaller scale 40k than the Dark Imperium books. They are all set on the same planet but have different main characters. Flesh and Steel is my favourite of them so far.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, when recommending 40k books for someone I do not think they should start with a mainline series. Instead I always recommend various short story compilations. That way a person gets to read about a wide variety of 40k in bite sized chunks. If a certain faction or character stands out to them, they can pursue one of the main series/authors from there. I was always a fan of the Hammer & Bolter collections, but there are a ton to choose from.

Oct 28, 2017
The issue that arises with following fictions for factions you are interested in is that there's a whole load of character assassination going on. Lords of Silence is easily the best Death Guard book and Mortarion appears for like one chapter. On the other hand, Mortarion focused books have him and the Death Guard look like wet cardboard.

I know I'm being a bit of a negative Nancy right now but I have a whole lot of grievances with Black Library because the fiction has, generally speaking, made the majority of legions and their Primarchs a whole lot less interesting in both the Horus Heresy and the 40k era books. Especially the Horus Heresy, I think the only character/chapter that will actually get out of the Horus Heresy series significantly better than when they entered will be the Ultramarines/Guilliman. The amount of character assassination of the traitor legions, Space Wolves and Dark Angels is just horrifying really.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
The issue that arises with following fictions for factions you are interested in is that there's a whole load of character assassination going on. Lords of Silence is easily the best Death Guard book and Mortarion appears for like one chapter. On the other hand, Mortarion focused books have him and the Death Guard look like wet cardboard.

I know I'm being a bit of a negative Nancy right now but I have a whole lot of grievances with Black Library because the fiction has, generally speaking, made the majority of legions and their Primarchs a whole lot less interesting in both the Horus Heresy and the 40k era books. Especially the Horus Heresy, I think the only character/chapter that will actually get out of the Horus Heresy series significantly better than when they entered will be the Ultramarines/Guilliman. The amount of character assassination of the traitor legions, Space Wolves and Dark Angels is just horrifying really.

"All according to plan..." -Matt Ward

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Especially the Horus Heresy, I think the only character/chapter that will actually get out of the Horus Heresy series significantly better than when they entered will be the Ultramarines/Guilliman. The amount of character assassination of the traitor legions, Space Wolves and Dark Angels is just horrifying really.

It varies from author to author -
For the Word Bearers, "The First Heretic" is an awesome book, and probably the first book to give them interesting and even somewhat understandable motivations. Later books by other authors turned them back into moustache-twirling villains.
For the Space Wolves, "Prospero Burns" gives them a new interesting dimension, that later authors don't follow up or expand on.
For the Alpha Legion, "Legion" is really interesting, but in "Deliverance" they come across as cartoon villains.
For the White Scars, I believe the HH books are considered their best by a long shot.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you like Salamanders. Then you get one author and it is all rough at best.
Dont get me started on Nick Bloody Kyme!

Sure there is a lot of rubbish in the Black Library, but it doesnt take away from the good stuff. I really have loved Saturnine and Penitent from Abnett, so I am very much coloured by those books at the moment.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Friends finally convinced me to start this awhile ago, putting together my models now.

Any ETA on the new Tau Codex?

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Friends finally convinced me to start this awhile ago, putting together my models now.

No idea yet unfortunately. Could be the summer or could be 2 years from now. Since we are previewing new Ork models I am inclined to believe that they are gonna be the next xeno faction to get their codex but I wouldn't be surprised if Tau come out as the next xeno codex. Although that is pure speculation and honestly I didn't think Dark Elder were going to get their codex so soon so don't trust anything I say.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
No idea yet unfortunately. Could be the summer or could be 2 years from now. Since we are previewing new Ork models I am inclined to believe that they are gonna be the next xeno faction to get their codex but I wouldn't be surprised if Tau come out as the next xeno codex. Although that is pure speculation and honestly I didn't think Dark Elder were going to get their codex so soon so don't trust anything I say.

We had hints of a drukhari codex coming out with the lilith hint way back when, all the stuff that had models previews then have had codexes released or released soon (dg, orcs, drukhari, ad mech).

That being said we need a sequel to that video soon.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Massive thank you to everyone that recommended the Cain novels to me.

I'm halfway through the first one and it is by far my favorite 40k book so far. It has the setting and the feel that I have enjoyed, but none of the over the top grim dark that some of the others have had. Cain is a fantastic character.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Ayyy more fish followers.

And no clue.

I'm halfway through the first one and it is by far my favorite 40k book so far. It has the setting and the feel that I have enjoyed, but none of the over the top grim dark that some of the others have had. Cain is a fantastic character.
Yessss yessss .gif

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the next codex is very likely to be sisters of battle (after ad mech/ before or after orks).

I'm wondering how they're going to handle then as they seem to be the top faction according to goonhammer.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017

They are amazing novels, Cain and Jurgen are great.