• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sorry I have another random lore question.

How long has Roboute been back?

I'm going through the lore and some of the books and I'm having trouble keeping track of the timeline. How many years has it been since he came back to where the current year is? I've tried looking at the timeline, but I'm not as familiar with it. So I don't know exactly where to look.

It also doesn't help that in some stories it's like he just got back and in others it's like he has been back for years or even decades.
Depends on the book, as there isn't a current year' in 40K, something they lampshade with references to nobody even knowing the exact year anymore due to warp fuckery, entire fleets having to resync after warp translation (potentially having lost or gained decades), and a whole group of the Inquisition trying to keep an eye on it. Generally the 'current time' is the 'Indomitus Era', which is the century or so following Guilliman's return, and the Dawn of Fire books cover the first decade or so of that.

One of the reasons they don't give a precise date is that, while Primarchs, space marines, eldar, tech priests and wealthy imperial political figures might not care about fifty years, the fiction exists to support a wargame. Having all the baseline human and Tau special characters be not available outside of a comparatively tiny window of their active service is just less fun for miniature painters and players who largely put a greater time and financial investment in than lore fiends. Same goes for someone who has painted a Gaunts Ghosts army, only to find they are technically all long dead by the present time the fiction is focusing on :D

For all their attempt to novelise the Indomitus crusade (and I'm quite enjoying the second book, Gate of Bones), the 'present' is very much a themed setting rather than a precise timeline of events, Imperium Nihilus conveniently making a mockery of such a thing for writers and readers and players everywhere :D There's a rough plan in the Dawn of Fire maps of which order the crusade fleets left Terra in and which way they went, but I suspect that as the series heads into Imperium Nihilus, the initial plucky attempts of Roboute's freshly commissioned historians to categorise and record everything are going to meet stiff resistance.

Last edited:

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

I'm going through the lore and some of the books and I'm having trouble keeping track of the timeline. How many years has it been since he came back to where the current year is? I've tried looking at the timeline, but I'm not as familiar with it. So I don't know exactly where to look.

It also doesn't help that in some stories it's like he just got back and in others it's like he has been back for years or even decades.

Basically you're not going to get a good answer to it, because GW are retconning it themselves at the moment.

"Time" is always a bit in flux in 40k - the desire to not kill named individuals off too much means that they lean quite heavily on a) the Imperium is a very loosely glued together collection of worlds and it's timekeeping isn't very good over the vast distances involved and b) time doesn't exist in the warp and expands or contracts in the outside world for any needed plot reason when people are travelling.

So the answer broadly is "it could be thirty years or a century depending on who he's talking to."

But there's also the issue that GW set 8th edition at the end of the Indomitus Crusade, and then decided they'd actually prefer if it was still going on for 9th, and are actually going to republish some of the books like Dark Imperium with some of the dates and events changed to reflect that.

Tl;dr it's a mess, the calendar in 40k is always a bit loose, you'll just drive yourself mad trying to work it out.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And then there's the fact that they had to retcon some stuff. Dark Imperium used to take place at the end of the Indomitus Crusade, 112 years after Roboute's return. Now it's 12 years in and the Crusade is apparently still going strong.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Part of what I love about 40K is that fans might argue over the timeline of events, and modern historians arguing over exactly which century something relatively recent happened in is of course a total farce. But for the Imperium, propaganda erases truth, data mining is literal with chasms full of lost paper, important figures can live for 50-1500 years, time travel is technically a thing, and whether the most powerful heroes of the imperium are saints, angels or demons is a matter of both theological and vital practical concern. The warp twists anything that's left, the same individual Astartes that attacked the Imperium 30,000 years back are still doing so now, Astartes born back then have re-emerged from Cawl's labs, and the greatest administrator the Galaxy has ever known who was there shortly after the birth of the Imperium can only narrow down the exact date to within a handful of centuries.

Compared to all that, fans going 'yeah that campaign moved by a few decades' is nothing :D

"The universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed". Or, indeed, punctual. :D

Last edited:

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017

Shortly after Abaddon the Despoiler's Thirteenth Black Crusade and the destruction of Cadia, the Tech-Priest Belisarius Cawl and Saint Celestine led a group of Imperial survivors into the Webway with the aid of their new Eldar allies. The group arrived at Macragge, where Cawl revealed that he had in fact lived for the last ten thousand years and was ordered by Guilliman himself to complete two tasks in the event of his downfall. One of these was to revive Guilliman, a feat that Cawl could now accomplish thanks to Eldar aid. Using a suit of Power Armour that regenerated the wounds inflicted by Fulgrim, Guilliman was restored just as Black Legion forces invaded Macragge. Reborn, Guilliman swiftly drove off the Chaos invaders before taking in the truths of the Imperium after his ten thousand year absence. Guilliman displayed several "miracles" after his rebirth, his mere presence was able to cure any afflicted with a Nurgle-created blindness-inducing illness.

from https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Roboute_Guilliman

So apparently roughly since some time during the 13th black crusade, which was 999.M41

also this:
Basically you're not going to get a good answer to it, because GW are retconning it themselves at the moment.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

MCXogwYrsRCi9J3E.jpg

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
More Warhammer Animations news with a trailer for 'The Exodite':
Introducing the Next Wave of Warhammer Animations - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

We're thrilled to announce the Warhammer Animation Team are working with Lost Legion Studios on The Exodite, with PaxelArt on Primaris: The Last Templar, and with Codex Film on Iron Within.
hCs3pzSHSoSDqED1.jpg

N24d39vnNpo87Mo7.jpg

FRkJuFV15rz2Jzqo.jpg

And there's more! Several other collaborations are in the early stages of development, as well as two brand new shows (in addition to Hammer and Bolter, Angels of Death, and Interrogator) having been scripted and sent into production.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the book, as there isn't a current year' in 40K, something they lampshade with references to nobody even knowing the exact year anymore due to warp fuckery, entire fleets having to resync after warp translation (potentially having lost or gained decades), and a whole group of the Inquisition trying to keep an eye on it. Generally the 'current time' is the 'Indomitus Era', which is the century or so following Guilliman's return, and the Dawn of Fire books cover the first decade or so of that.

One of the reasons they don't give a precise date is that, while Primarchs, space marines, eldar, tech priests and wealthy imperial political figures might not care about fifty years, the fiction exists to support a wargame. Having all the baseline human and Tau special characters be not available outside of a comparatively tiny window of their active service is just less fun for miniature painters and players who largely put a greater time and financial investment in than lore fiends. Same goes for someone who has painted a Gaunts Ghosts army, only to find they are technically all long dead by the present time the fiction is focusing on :D

For all their attempt to novelise the Indomitus crusade (and I'm quite enjoying the second book, Gate of Bones), the 'present' is very much a themed setting rather than a precise timeline of events, Imperium Nihilus conveniently making a mockery of such a thing for writers and readers and players everywhere :D There's a rough plan in the Dawn of Fire maps of which order the crusade fleets left Terra in and which way they went, but I suspect that as the series heads into Imperium Nihilus, the initial plucky attempts of Roboute's freshly commissioned historians to categorise and record everything are going to meet stiff resistance.

"Time" is always a bit in flux in 40k - the desire to not kill named individuals off too much means that they lean quite heavily on a) the Imperium is a very loosely glued together collection of worlds and it's timekeeping isn't very good over the vast distances involved and b) time doesn't exist in the warp and expands or contracts in the outside world for any needed plot reason when people are travelling.

So the answer broadly is "it could be thirty years or a century depending on who he's talking to."

But there's also the issue that GW set 8th edition at the end of the Indomitus Crusade, and then decided they'd actually prefer if it was still going on for 9th, and are actually going to republish some of the books like Dark Imperium with some of the dates and events changed to reflect that.

Tl;dr it's a mess, the calendar in 40k is always a bit loose, you'll just drive yourself mad trying to work it out.
Shortly after Abaddon the Despoiler's Thirteenth Black Crusade and the destruction of Cadia, the Tech-Priest Belisarius Cawl and Saint Celestine led a group of Imperial survivors into the Webway with the aid of their new Eldar allies. The group arrived at Macragge, where Cawl revealed that he had in fact lived for the last ten thousand years and was ordered by Guilliman himself to complete two tasks in the event of his downfall. One of these was to revive Guilliman, a feat that Cawl could now accomplish thanks to Eldar aid. Using a suit of Power Armour that regenerated the wounds inflicted by Fulgrim, Guilliman was restored just as Black Legion forces invaded Macragge. Reborn, Guilliman swiftly drove off the Chaos invaders before taking in the truths of the Imperium after his ten thousand year absence. Guilliman displayed several "miracles" after his rebirth, his mere presence was able to cure any afflicted with a Nurgle-created blindness-inducing illness.

from https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Roboute_Guilliman

So apparently roughly since some time during the 13th black crusade, which was 999.M41

also this:
Okay so he has been back for "a bit" lol

After drowning myself in the lore for the last 4-5 months or so I'm still getting used to how fuzzy the Warhammer universe is when it comes to specifics. I keep forgetting that games workshop intentionally leaves things a bit up in the air to give them a little bit more wiggle room down the line.

Which makes a lot of sense when you step back, but as someone who comes from a variety of video games and settings that have very specific timelines and order of events it's just really rubbing me. That is just the stickler in me rising to the surface though I think. Whenever I read a new series or lore I always try to establish the timeline in my head as I go from story to story in order to keep track of everything. This happened before that and this event happened this many years after this event. I think I'm going to have to break myself of this habit though when it comes to Warhammer lol

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Okay so he has been back for "a bit" lol

After drowning myself in the lore for the last 4-5 months or so I'm still getting used to how fuzzy the Warhammer universe is when it comes to specifics. I keep forgetting that games workshop intentionally leaves things a bit up in the air to give them a little bit more wiggle room down the line.

Which makes a lot of sense when you step back, but as someone who comes from a variety of video games and settings that have very specific timelines and order of events it's just really rubbing me. That is just the stickler in me rising to the surface though I think. Whenever I read a new series or lore I always try to establish the timeline in my head as I go from story to story in order to keep track of everything. This happened before that and this event happened this many years after this event. I think I'm going to have to break myself of this habit though when it comes to Warhammer lol
One way to understand it is that that fuzziness exists for people building their own factions, like a space marine chapter that's technically as strong as the Ultramarines and defending a star system, or an Eldar craftworld, or an entire naval battlegroup with guard regiments and their own Titan legion, to fit their forces and campaigns and games and stories in. The setting is a starting point for the hobby, not the defined end point, and so those gaps will never entirely be closed. A bit like how they'll never discuss the missing Primarchs, or get too deep into what the deep warp is, or where the Tyranids are from. The hobby is one where the imagination of the creative people that make up their customers needs way more room than their official writers focusing on a few hundred characters.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
One way to understand it is that that fuzziness exists for people building their own factions, like a space marine chapter that's technically as strong as the Ultramarines and defending a star system, or an Eldar craftworld, or an entire naval battlegroup with guard regiments and their own Titan legion, to fit their forces and campaigns and games and stories in. The setting is a starting point for the hobby, not the defined end point, and so those gaps will never entirely be closed. A bit like how they'll never discuss the missing Primarchs, or get too deep into what the deep warp is, or where the Tyranids are from. The hobby is one where the imagination of the creative people that make up their customers needs way more room than their official writers focusing on a few hundred characters.
I think I get it. Though I will say I thought their fuzziness about the primarchs was so that they could bring each back at some point without conflicting with the lore.

Like we know that The Lion is alive and waiting, but the others are alive but MIA.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think I get it. Though I will say I thought their fuzziness about the primarchs was so that they could bring each back at some point without conflicting with the lore.

Like we know that The Lion is alive and waiting, but the others are alive but MIA.
Oh, I mean the two Primarchs they've never even named and who have been erased from records in the lore, not the 'missing' ones we know about like Lion, Russ etc :D

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited by all the new animations and the official support of Astartes. But uh, what the hell happened to that whole slate of animations they were doing before? Like that angels of death one?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, my mistake, I should have been clearer :-)
Speaking of the two missing primarchs have any of you watch Bricky's video on all the factions? It's aimed at people who are new to the lore and the game, but there are SOOOOOOO many inside jokes and stuff that people who already know a bit will find funny. The way he kind of mentions the two primarchs is funny. I've watched parts 1 and 2 twice now each. It's just too damn funny.

I've linked the video to a couple of my friends. I'm hoping it gets them interested enough to where they will maybe get into the lore a bit.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've only wanted this for three decades. It's like Games Workshop has decided I can finally be happy.
Yeah I'm relatively new to the whole Warhammer thing and even I have noticed how much talk and attention Warhammer has been getting the last year. So it doesn't really surprise me that Games workshop seems to be ready to capitalize on it all.

A few of the podcasts and videos that I have seen have even mentioned the huge uptick in views and listeners in the last year that they have had.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah I'm relatively new to the whole Warhammer thing and even I have noticed how much talk and attention Warhammer has been getting the last year. So it doesn't really surprise me that Games workshop seems to be ready to capitalize on it all.

A few of the podcasts and videos that I have seen have even mentioned the huge uptick in views and listeners in the last year that they have had.
You dipped into audiobooks yet?

It's them taking the shotgun approach they've had in games and applying it to fan animations too. I'm pumped.

Now I'm just sitting around waiting for more Darktide news.
If Darktide is good, you have my sword, plasma pistol, or whatever.

Oct 28, 2017
Following minute details, like timeline of events, in Warhammer 40K is pointless because they've never been terribly consistent. Even with things like what space marines are and aren't capable of.

The best thing to think of the lore is that it ultimately exists to sell models. It's like how STCs mysteriously get found and become new units with associated plastic model kits.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay so am I the only one that finds it incredibly odd that there is no wiki entry for Yvraine on the 40k fandom wiki?

There are pages for incredibly obscure characters that pop up for a single story, but there doesn't seem to be any entry at all for what is apparently a pretty pivotal character.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so am I the only one that finds it incredibly odd that there is no wiki entry for Yvraine on the 40k fandom wiki?

There are pages for incredibly obscure characters that pop up for a single story, but there doesn't seem to be any entry at all for what is apparently a pretty pivotal character.
Weird. Some WikiWars thing, maybe?

I just use Lexicanum, anyway

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah idk. And I use both. I use lexicanum when I want the summarized version. I use the fandom wiki for when I want a deep dive since it usually quotes the books directly. I just found it odd because I am trying to find out how Guillimen reacted to Yvraine and the Ynnari and came across the fact she has no entry.

I think I am gonna have to just get started on the audiobooks.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I know got a fact I've seen those on Shapeways before at least once. If not, there are some deathwatch terminator shoulder pads on there that will fit the bill.

I recieved my " deathvigil " uh uh terminator shoulders from Shapeways. Print quality is very impressive. They are a tad larger (height) than normal one with a slightly different Inquisition " I " design (that was as advertised) but overall I think they will fit perfectly both physically and thematically. They will do good as Gravis armor shoulder pads too. Thanks for the tip. It gives me idea to order more " deathvigil " customs parts, especially for outriders and maybe dreadnoughts for future projects

My friend got hands on a Dark Imperium set, he's doing Deathguard. He's esthatic because he was desperate to find the Lord of Contagion mini that not been sold anywhere ever since. He's sending me the Marine half. Thats lot of mini coming my ways hehe. I like the Gravis armor primaris captain, especially his boltgun powre fist. I dig it.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I recieved my " deathvigil " uh uh terminator shoulders from Shapeways. Print quality is very impressive. They are a tad larger (height) than normal one with a slightly different Inquisition " I " design (that was as advertised) but overall I think they will fit perfectly both physically and thematically. They will do good as Gravis armor shoulder pads too. Thanks for the tip. It gives me idea to order more " deathvigil " customs parts, especially for outriders and maybe dreadnoughts for future projects

My friend got hands on a Dark Imperium set, he's doing Deathguard. He's esthatic because he was desperate to find the Lord of Contagion mini that not been sold anywhere ever since. He's sending me the Marine half. Thats lot of mini coming my ways hehe. I like the Gravis armor primaris captain, especially his boltgun powre fist. I dig it.

I know it's a little late. But the lord of contagion/gravis captain were also in know no fear.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
And in Warhammer Conquest Magazine (having said that those issues are long gone, and as you say the thing is pretty hard to find on Ebay).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have a huge swath of Terminators inbound. All in all, I will have around 150ish once characters have been included (chaplains, librarians, banner bearers, ect). These will be split between Blood Angels, Ultramarines, Deathwing, and Grey Knights. The goal is to get them painted up and ready be used primarily in Space Hulk. On the other side, I have tons of purestrain genestealers as well as a full army of genestealer cultits who will be hiding deep in the Space Hulks ready to pounce.

This is an *all in* approach to pimping out my first and most favorite gateway game. I bought the original in 1989 and this is something I always wanted to do. Once everything above is done, I will add a few squads of Space Wolves and call the project complete. I want to create and run chapter specific missions as well as have chapters be able to work together when there is a call for multiple squads. Even with the size of the project, it is something I will be doing on the side because I have other projects going too. But the minis have been ordered, which is a huge part of the commitment!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So I came across this just now and it might be my favorite bit of lore that I have found in quite a while.

I haven't really had a chance to get really deep into the two missing primarchs because I have mainly just been trying to get a grasp of the lore period. But going off of this excerpt dorn is so sure that if the two lost primarchs were still around then the imperium would have already fallen. So he and Malcador are talking about these two guys as if they are on the same level as Horus and his heresy. And if what was said in the other except I saw today is accurate that means they also we're not traitors. They had "failed" was the way that Guillimen put it. So what failures could have been so bad that it condemned the two of them to complete erasure, but did not affect their legions?

Also is it just my interpretation of it all or does it sound like the two missing legions were mind wiped and absorbed into the imperial fists and the ultramarines just like the guy says in the post?

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can finally get a look at that damn Skitarii captain thing. Can't wait to fit it into my already stuffed HQ collection.

MpXjRLuQjMHaYtlo.jpg

Last edited:

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
So I came across this just now and it might be my favorite bit of lore that I have found in quite a while.

I haven't really had a chance to get really deep into the two missing primarchs because I have mainly just been trying to get a grasp of the lore period. But going off of this excerpt dorn is so sure that if the two lost primarchs were still around then the imperium would have already fallen. So he and Malcador are talking about these two guys as if they are on the same level as Horus and his heresy. And if what was said in the other except I saw today is accurate that means they also we're not traitors. They had "failed" was the way that Guillimen put it. So what failures could have been so bad that it condemned the two of them to complete erasure, but did not affect their legions?

Also is it just my interpretation of it all or does it sound like the two missing legions were mind wiped and absorbed into the imperial fists and the ultramarines just like the guy says in the post?
Yes, It has been implied for a while that the remnants of the lost legions were indeed absorbed into the fists and Ultramarines which is why they are so large.

As for the first question none quite know what they did but I've seen suggestions that they may have openly suggested that the emperor was wrong or allied with aliens, came to realize the Imperial Truth was a lie, or did something that undermined the very foundation of the Emperors ideas.

Other suggestions that they were involved in an incident with the Rangdan or Noctis Labyrinth that threatened to unleash forces that would crush the empire.

But it's all rather purposefully vague and GW will almost certainly never give the real reasons.

In other news I look forward to see if this preview will finally give us Redemtionists after teasing them for so long.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Blood Angel Terminator test model before I start painting up the next dozen or so...

jjaiCUw.jpeg

GivwPDy.jpeg

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have a sneaking suspicion that Necromunda bases outsell the models themselves. Great work with that Terminator by the way.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nice, I collect DG and my friend/ultimate rival collects BA. I should watch and take notes.
Winters does my favourite reports. I always catch them as the armies and people on the channel remind of the kind of club games I used to play, where all our own characters and their stories and history were way more important than special characters and the online tourney meta. Which wasn't really a thing in my 40k salad days :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Lovely gradient on the red. I like the necromunda bases also!

Thanks! Although these are actually sector mechanicus industrial bases, which I actually bought for Necromunda base variety lol. I think they have a lot more texture and variety than the Necromunda bases.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
SillyEskimo that's a sweet terminator. The termies really are some of the best minis in GW's arsenal pre new Sisters, and tbh still some of the best marines out there.

Orgun that speeder is fantastic.