• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Browny

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone read Dan Abnetts new book Penitent? The implications of the twist are pretty shocking.
I'm awaiting my copy in the post. I went to go back and read Pariah as a refresher, but I must have lent it to someone, so think I'll be buying a Kindle copy (since the second hand prices are ridiculous).

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They're really leaning into the animal motif with the new Soulblight.

z1zG23H5VZfDmNhA.jpg

A bit unclear whether this is supposed to be a primarily Warhammer Quest model or an AoS-only model, but I guess time will tell.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
That's quite a cool model, love the rat pelt collar and the tails out the back of the cloak is very unsettling. Interesting to know if this is gonna lead to a Soulblight Battletome somewhere down the line. We've seen a fair few vampire models but a lot of them are currently taken up with being in other games like Underworlds and Cursed City.

Talking about Cursed City, I learnt today that the main baddie is meant to be a vampire ogor (I assumed he was just a big vamp human) which pushed that game from a 'maybe buy' to a 'probably buy'.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The new Wight King announcement came with the tease that Deathrattle would be getting more models in the future, so I'm wondering if they're going to be piled in with Soulblight for a more classic Vampire Counts subfaction.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that new Kill Team box is kinda bullshit huh? Exclusive expansion book and insane price with just a few minis, that's some good old days GW right there.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that new Kill Team box is kinda bullshit huh? Exclusive expansion book and insane price with just a few minis, that's some good old days GW right there.

Yeah, with this and the massive mark up on those indomutus models last week GW is doing a lot to start loosing my good will. It really feels like everything is constantly rocketing in price and it's just really putting me off buying literally anything from them lately.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

It's worse then that, in that the expansion rules themselves are apparently really poor.

Good news is that my favorite kill team terrain box set is back (fronteris).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The water guild minis for Necromunda are looking pretty sweet! No doubt they will be forge world resin like the slavers were.

reZAaYHS6h7J84Jn.jpg

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's worse then that, in that the expansion rules themselves are apparently really poor.

And for some reason the only terrain box they didn't remove half the contents from. It's a steal compared to the others now.

I note that the new Hatchette partwork has been announced. Marines/Sisters/Ad Mech vs Necrons. Seems like one issue will include the new Flayed Ones for £8.99... Gulliman is also included, and even if they split him over two issues that's still £18 for a £35 model. Good source for the now discontinued Sisters Cannoness too. A lot less terrain this time though, which is a shame, Conquest was great for cheap terrain.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
I note that the new Hatchette partwork has been announced. Marines/Sisters/Ad Mech vs Necrons. Seems like one issue will include the new Flayed Ones for £8.99... Gulliman is also included, and even if they split him over two issues that's still £18 for a £35 model. Good source for the now discontinued Sisters Cannoness too. A lot less terrain this time though, which is a shame, Conquest was great for cheap terrain.
The website has been down since it was announced, they really cannot handle the 40k fans

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
And for some reason the only terrain box they didn't remove half the contents from. It's a steal compared to the others now.

Hmmmm, Conquest is what got me back into Warhammer as I always wanted to collect the Death Guard.

Then I started buying the Night Haunt half of Mortal Realms, as a fun second army.

Told myself I wouldn't buy the new one at all but can already feel my resolve weakening.
Maybe just some issues for conversion parts and terrain.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine it might not be the easiest Imperium issue to find but I hope I manage to grab the one with the Kataphron Destroyers. Always wanted to do something with their epic tank track legs (perhaps a crazy Ork mek or Warpsmith) but buying a £35 was always a little much for just using the tracks.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
They're campaign badges.

In 2nd edition Space Marines had a campaign badge for the current campaign they had embarked on, usually (and at least for Ultramarines) on the back of the leg greave. Transfer sheets generally gave you several options, but also the studio armies tended to stick to the same one per chapter (so they could mix and match the models more than anything) - the skull in the red triangle was used on Dark Angels, the black skull in the white circle was used on the Ultramarines, the simpler lightning was used on Blood Angels and the more complex on Space Wolves. I think this sheet may have just had the wing for extra variety.

However, when they did the new Marine plastics for 3rd (I think? Christ) ed, that section of the leg had too much molded detail to apply them cleanly, so their use fell out of favour with most painters.

I think the yellow lightning bolt is an honour marking for Blood Angel officers.

Over the years some were reused for less famous chapter markings, as there were loads of easily available transfers out there.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
They're campaign badges.

In 2nd edition Space Marines had a campaign badge for the current campaign they had embarked on, usually (and at least for Ultramarines) on the back of the leg greave. Transfer sheets generally gave you several options, but also the studio armies tended to stick to the same one per chapter (so they could mix and match the models more than anything) - the skull in the red triangle was used on Dark Angels, the black skull in the white circle was used on the Ultramarines, the simpler lightning was used on Blood Angels and the more complex on Space Wolves. I think this sheet may have just had the wing for extra variety.

However, when they did the new Marine plastics for 3rd (I think? Christ) ed, that section of the leg had too much molded detail to apply them cleanly, so their use fell out of favour with most painters.

I think the yellow lightning bolt is an honour marking for Blood Angel officers.

Over the years some were reused for less famous chapter markings, as there were loads of easily available transfers out there.

Thanks. Its crazy to get only Ultramarines markings in recent box. I had to go through old sheet on ebay like this one to find other chapters markings to diversify my DW shoulders

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Its crazy to get only Ultramarines markings in recent box. I had to go through old sheet on ebay like this one to find other chapters markings to diversify my DW shoulders
You can always check out Shapeways for some 3D printed shoulder pads. There are some really good ones out there and will give you that consistent embossed emblem look over your whole army.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
You can always check out Shapeways for some 3D printed shoulder pads. There are some really good ones out there and will give you that consistent embossed emblem look over your whole army.

I'm desperate for the heavy Deathwatch Terminators / Gravis shoulders pads.

The right shoulders pads, I have enough spare or pre made design from veteran boxes to have fun with either mixing colors on existing patterns or using transfer sheets.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm desperate for the heavy Deathwatch Terminators / Gravis shoulders pads.

The right shoulders pads, I have enough spare or pre made design from veteran boxes to have fun with either mixing colors on existing patterns or using transfer sheets.
I know got a fact I've seen those on Shapeways before at least once. If not, there are some deathwatch terminator shoulder pads on there that will fit the bill.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I know got a fact I've seen those on Shapeways before at least once. If not, there are some deathwatch terminator shoulder pads on there that will fit the bill.

There are not exactly but I found some close enough. I'm bitting. We'll see when they arrive. I couldn't replicate these with green and blue stuff, too hard to print correctly the pattern on a 180 degree surface and then press it correctly.

Oct 28, 2017
The Shapeways stuff is pretty good, a little chunky to my liking but they work and look fine after you

There's always buying bits from third party sites, generally not too expensive since marines are fairly low in numbers.

One of the more annoying things about modern day Games Workshop. From memory you used to be able to mail order specific parts if they existed because it used to be far more hobby centric.

Gets pretty bad when it comes to Forgeworld stuff. There's a not so secret secret that a lot of 30k armies are just recasts between availability, cost and quality at times. I know one of the armies that appeared in White Dwarf is mostly made up of recasts and Games Workshop was apparently "we don't care and we don't want to know".

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
One of the more annoying things about modern day Games Workshop. From memory you used to be able to mail order specific parts if they existed because it used to be far more hobby centric.
It was maybe easier to do that back when most of the models were metal with a more limited number of bits with many already individual pieces when cast, compared to casting mostly plastic sprues with many more bits on them - I would imagine there would be quite a jump in the manual labour involved when you have to cut every plastic bit off by hand at enough volume for their global customer base. On the upside, when you get a miscast bit these days they usually send out a whole new set.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah. 20 years ago you could mail order individual pieces as that's how they were stored in the factory, the metal bits were cast from moulds then stored in small boxes, and pickers would go around and select the pieces you wanted. These days everything comes on a sprue and is packed immediately into a box, so you can't order anything individually, which has led to the third-parties like Shapeways and Pop Goes The Monkey that design and make a ton of cool extras for people looking to personalise armies instead.

Oct 28, 2017
It was maybe easier to do that back when most of the models were metal with a more limited number of bits with many already individual pieces when cast, compared to casting mostly plastic sprues with many more bits on them - I would imagine there would be quite a jump in the manual labour involved when you have to cut every plastic bit off by hand at enough volume for their global customer base. On the upside, when you get a miscast bit these days they usually send out a whole new set.

It isn't too uncommon for plastic injection kit companies to have stock of commonly required parts on hand. Revell in Germany will send you individual parts and Tamiya in Japan will have their distributors send you the specific sprue with the missing part.

Like I said, the part and kit availability can get pretty spotty with Games Workshop. In Australia, the Ravenwing accessory pack has been out of stock for literally an entire year. I first checked early last year, near September and just now and it's been out of stock the entire time. If you wanted to build a Ravenwing army, you'd be SOL in the same time period where Dark Angels get a new codex.

The obvious solutions in that case are to go 3D print (quality is fine but noticeably chunky), try and hope bits stores have enough spares for you to buy (I managed to get enough Ravenwing stuff through four different sources) or buy recast stuff (obviously piracy but sometimes literally the only option).

The miniatures are incredible these days but it's obvious that they're not operating with the modeller in mind. A lot of kits are absolutely ridiculous with load outs like the Blightlord kit having not enough swords and axes. They know exactly what they're doing when they do things like that and it's frustrating.

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
The obvious solutions in that case are to go 3D print (quality is fine but noticeably chunky),

This depends entirely on how the model is. If we are talking of resin printers, of course. FDM is just crap for miniatures. But as a quick example of random resin printed bits I have around (eagle and Hawkguys head)

e3ce1d006dcb432e55dce167061fb96a.png
dcc258855dae345e611cefddf02b7c6c.png

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

You know, I had never paid attention to those kits before and damn, Fronteris is very nice. And I also just learned of the existence of Sector Sanctoris which looked really nice, sadly seems oop.

Will definitely grab a Fronteris now, with my Battle Sanctum it should do for a very good Kill Team board.

I should try to locate a Sanctoris box somewhere..

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
It is incredible looking. I guess my one compliant would be it's very similar to a Bloodthirster. Admittedly that's a classic demon / balrog appearance but you could paint that red and people wouldn't blink at using it.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think that's just the natural consequence of Khorne daemons having the more traditional demonic aesthetics, combined with Be'lakor being a specific character with a set look. Neither are likely to change much so it's probably best to see this as kit-bashing potential, for those with more money than sense.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Was the AoS thread ever created, btw. I'm really tempted in picking up some lumineth.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
It is incredible looking. I guess my one compliant would be it's very similar to a Bloodthirster. Admittedly that's a classic demon / balrog appearance but you could paint that red and people wouldn't blink at using it.
That is why I think Angron might be a tough model to make, as he basically is a Bloodthirster, so how to make him different enough.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Be'lakor looks great, but wish he was smaller. Would love to build and paint him, but he's far too big to keep in my flat.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I adore the new Be'lakor model. It really grieves me that my ttrpg group broke up because he was supposed to be the big bad of my Wrath and Glory campaign I was going to run. 😞

Would have loved to paint him up and drop him on the table for the final encounter. Oh well...

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be bad in the sense that you're not making money if you want to split the box, like a lot of these speciality box sets. But most recent Games Workshop box sets are decent value at the very least.

That Kill Team box kind of skews things because it is a special kind of awful thanks to just how awful the terrain is. Theoretically you're getting a lot of plastic but none of it is particularly useful outside of that specific board or even interesting.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be bad in the sense that you're not making money if you want to split the box, like a lot of these speciality box sets. But most recent Games Workshop box sets are decent value at the very least.

That Kill Team box kind of skews things because it is a special kind of awful thanks to just how awful the terrain is. Theoretically you're getting a lot of plastic but none of it is particularly useful outside of that specific board or even interesting.

Iunno, Blood of the phoenix bombed. Sisters are pretty popular but the models in this set are weird as you have a SoB lieutenant vs a named legend. As overpriced Pariah nexus, everything in the set is brand new. However, i'm betting this set is way cheaper than Botp so let's see what happens here.

edit. Scale pictures for Bela'kor taken from bolter and chainsword.

oiIPHsF.jpg

oJl29ng.jpg

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Gods, I didn't realise how huge Magnus was. Is he the single largest character model they have? He towers over Bela'Kor and Mortarion.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Gods, I didn't realise how huge Magnus was. Is he the single largest character model they have? He towers over Bela'Kor and Mortarion.
Nagash might be a little taller. I've seen him on the table and it is bananas how tall that skeleton man is. That said Magnus probably has him beaten on mass so if you are going on that then Mags might be the largest overall. I've actually neve seen anyone weigh assembled GW models, kinda curious now as to who is the heaviest plastic character.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nagash might be a little taller. I've seen him on the table and it is bananas how tall that skeleton man is. That said Magnus probably has him beaten on mass so if you are going on that then Mags might be the largest overall. I've actually neve seen anyone weigh assembled GW models, kinda curious now as to who is the heaviest plastic character.
Nagash is like 30% hat, though.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry I have another random lore question.

How long has Roboute been back?

I'm going through the lore and some of the books and I'm having trouble keeping track of the timeline. How many years has it been since he came back to where the current year is? I've tried looking at the timeline, but I'm not as familiar with it. So I don't know exactly where to look.

It also doesn't help that in some stories it's like he just got back and in others it's like he has been back for years or even decades.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Indomitus laster over a century so it's been at least that much, though likely there's no set number.