• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
That's an interesting choice of words on that regimental standard poster. I wonder if it's intended as a teaser for an incoming Thousand Sons codex or just a quiet reminder that they still exist, plotting away somewhere in the universe. I've got the marine half of the TSons starter set just waiting for an excuse to get assembled and a codex might be it.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Have my first couple of kitbashed Fulgurites done and dusted. Building the staves was (and continues to be) an ordeal, and more than one of the ones I've build so far have some slightly squint poles. As long as they're imperceptable from tabletop distance, I'm not going to be too worried though.

fulgurites.jpg

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
So I originally played Dawn of War 1 and 2 as a teenager but I'm in the current process of building a new pc to play Warhammer 3 total war (my pc can't play Total war warhammer 1 or 2).

I was a big fan of the Tau and imperial soldiers in dawn of war 2.

I never knew does the lore of warhammer and 40k connect? Like is it 40,000 years later?

Also what's the best way to start reading up on lore for warhammer and 40k?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So I originally played Dawn of War 1 and 2 as a teenager but I'm in the current process of building a new pc to play Warhammer 3 total war (my pc can't play Total war warhammer 1 or 2).

I never knew does the lore of warhammer and 40k connect? Like is it 40,000 years later?

They do not. The Chaos Gods are the same, and some of the daemons show up in both, but they're not the same world or anything.

As for where to start... I dunno Warhammer Fantasy novels nearly as well as I do 40k, so I can't help you there. 40k, I'd start with something easy like the Ciaphas Cain novels.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There are some analogues, Greenskins in particular are just low-tech Orks. Other than the Chaos gods, however, there are no significant direct connections between the settings. And while the Chaos gods are the same character-wise, they're not the same entities with knowledge/presence in both 40k and Fantasy.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I'm not too sure on Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, which is the current fantasy line, but for the Old World, Gotrek and Felix were always fun to follow, as it's about a pair of travelling adventurers rather than bedded in one specific faction.

For 40K, the first Gaunts Ghosts (following the Tanith Imperial Guard), Eisenhorn (Inquisition) and Ciaphas Cain (a commissar, these are a more comedic take on 40K and strangely both extremely heartwarming and cynical at the same time) are good starting points. For a greater overview of the setting as it stands with regards to the tabletop game, the Dawn of Fire books are the current jumping on point, giving various viewpoint characters across the Imperial response to events. Start with Avenging Son and then Gate of Bones.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the Chaos gods, however, there are no significant direct connections between the settings. And while the Chaos gods are the same character-wise, they're not the same entities with knowledge/presence in both 40k and Fantasy.
Believe it or not but GW has confirmed that this is actually not the case. I forget which issue of White Dwarf it is (it was from a few years ago by now) but they confirm the Chaos Gods are "multiversal entities" and exist in all realities simultaneously through their connection with the warp. So they have the knowledge of other universes and such, it just doesn't come up. I mean who's gonna ask a demon about multiple universes? It's all apart of the "Great Game" of the Chaos Gods.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the connection re. The Old Ones. Both settings had a race of Old Ones, often hinted at as being cold blooded, who had absolute mastery of the warp and used giant portals to travel through the warp. In fantasy those warp gates were stationed above the poles.

In 40k obviously that becomes the webway, and the Old Ones are eventually defeated by the Necrons and C'tan. In Fantasy it never says what happened to them, beyond a sudden disaster that destabilises the warp gates and breaks them, resulting in them being gates to direct chaos.

For a long time people speculated that the fantasy world was somewhere in the Eye of Terror but obviously that's no longer valid. I think there are some Slaan remnants in 40k as well?

in terms of the chaos gods, the main difference is that Slaanesh wasn't created by the Elves. She/He still seeks out and devours their souls above all else but there's no special relationship re her/his creation. For a while they tried to imply that Warhammer elves had to use soul stones like the Eldar do in 40k but thankfully they dropped that idea. Other than that the chaos gods are basically the same.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Have my first couple of kitbashed Fulgurites done and dusted. Building the staves was (and continues to be) an ordeal, and more than one of the ones I've build so far have some slightly squint poles. As long as they're imperceptable from tabletop distance, I'm not going to be too worried though.

fulgurites.jpg
They're looking good mate, that's a cool conversion idea. Looks like you have the spears all sorted but if you are interested in more potential sources the Hoplites from Forgeworld have good techy spears.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They're looking good mate, that's a cool conversion idea. Looks like you have the spears all sorted but if you are interested in more potential sources the Hoplites from Forgeworld have good techy spears.

I did scope those out but I was trying to be a bit more frugal, and building them from scratch with £5 worth of third party glaive heads was a much cheaper (and evidently more annoying) option. I also thought the more ramshackle, taped together look fit the Cawdor models a little bit better.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
What's up 40k ERA. After and 8 year hiatus I bought Indomitus, then I bought more, then I bought more, then I... you know how it goes. No games yet due to lock down, but looking forward getting things on the table.

Below, my Silent King talking to the cops about a noise complaint.
wNxmsTV.jpg

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What's up 40k ERA. After and 8 year hiatus I bought Indomitus, then I bought more, then I bought more, then I... you know how it goes. No games yet due to lock down, but looking forward getting things on the table.

Below, my Silent King talking to the cops about a noise complaint.
wNxmsTV.jpg
Lovely paint job!

I'm much the same with Indomitus. The whole set of minis was great value and the marine command models added some character to primaris that I'd found uninspiring when checking in on the hobby beforehand (I kept reading the novels even though I haven't played in around 15 years). 8 months later and my Dark Angels are looking pretty good now. Added a unit of standard intercessors and 3 Agressors (laughably, the best way to start DAs last summer was the old primaris space wolves set...). I've now also painted a Redemptor, a squad each of terminators and Deathwing Knights, a librarian and a techmarine. Finished my Indomitus set too, so pretty much ready to go as soon as lockdowns lift! Not the best 2,000 points I imagine, but I want to get some games in before I start tweaking it and adding stuff. Part of the fun for me is learning from each game and adding unit by unit. Got my eye on a unit of Inceptors next, some scenery and maybe the Sororitas later this year.

I think part of me leaving 40k behind for years was being too busy to paint with a long commute and a young family. These days I'm working at home and can squeeze in about a mini a week in just bits of spare time, lunch breaks etc. Painting them individually has been a lot of fun watching my force grow. Although I did let out an audible groan when painting the Deathwing with a custom mix of brown and one ended up being definitely a slightly different shade to the others. Fixed it now but lesson learned, in future I'll be doing the bone armour as a squad :D

Last edited:

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Question: Can anyone tell me if Allarus Custodians would be a good size to base Chaos Terminators on to make them more impressive compared to the stunted things CSM got compared to Primaris? I want big Cult Khorne Terminator bois.

I have a gifted voucher to kill at a LGS that I have never been to and my box of CSM Termis disappointed me AGAIN when I opened it up after shelving it at the rel3ase of the new kit. FW Horus is too big for Termis, though, and Abaddon weirdly spindly.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Question: Can anyone tell me if Allarus Custodians would be a good size to base Chaos Terminators on to make them more impressive compared to the stunted things CSM got compared to Primaris? I want big Cult Khorne Terminator bois.

I have a gifted voucher to kill at a LGS that I have never been to and my box of CSM Termis disappointed me AGAIN when I opened it up after shelving it at the rel3ase of the new kit. FW Horus is too big for Termis, though, and Abaddon weirdly spindly.

Can't really find any direct 1-to-1 size comparisons, this picture I found might give you an idea of what you're working with (Primaris at back left, Allarus at front right):

IMG_5041.HEIC

and combine that with this Chaos Terminator to Primaris comparison:

Yc5FVW6.jpg

They look like they'd be a pretty rewarding conversion, same base size too. But bear in mind the small != far away effect.

As an aside I'm surprised there's not a site that gives the foot to head heights of most standard 40k minis.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They could take some notes from MtG for flavour text.

But whatever, rapid-fire orbital bombardments confirmed I guess.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Was the age of sigmar thread ever created?

Anyway, new Bela'kor looks amazing. There is a chaos warrior on his base, but there's probably alternatives to 40kize the figure.

I like the new wind themed lumineth a ton more then the mountain bull themed ones. Some of those figures look extremely fragile though.

They have to do a much better job of releasing books though, it's stupid that the old lumineth time is out of date already. It just alienates lumineth players who have to buy either they tyrion or new battletome, also makes players of other factions salty as fuck.

New warhammer quest looks amazing as hell.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Be careful who you call ugly in...
checks notes

I've apparently picked a very good time to start getting into Legions of Nagash, seems like Soulblight and Deathrattle are both getting a glow-up.
I don't play AoS but that mini is very much one of those 'maybe I could build an army around it' kits, like the Minotaur Lord in the 90s :D

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do we know how warhammer quest will play as a two player game?

I assume Cursed City will have the same kind of player structure as Blackstone Fortress, so you might be able to get some impressions from that. At least one player needs to be a Hero character, with additional players either taking the role of other Heroes and/or one controlling the Hostiles (which can alternatively be left to play itself).

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know how warhammer quest will play as a two player game?
It's possible it might be the optimal way to play it. I've only played Blackstone Fortress out of all of the Warhammer Quest 'dice activation' games but that game played best with two so if Cursed City follows similar mechanics then it might be good for two too. I found Blackstone a little fiddly and time consuming as a solo game and with 3-4 players it got a little slow waiting between turns. Their were rules for playing as the hostiles but in the original game they were rubbish, although their was a hostile variant in White Dwarf that apparently fixes up a lot of the issues. Never saw it myself but hopefully they take some cues from that if they want to take the hostile player mechanic onto Cursed City.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
www.bolterandchainsword.com

Indomitus Miniatures Repackaged

So the indomitus miniatures that can't be purchased in the started editions are being released separately, and wow GW is screwing people over.

0bf0fee57e69263888f91eba066ec362.jpg
Holy fuck. What the hell makes them think that's an even remotely acceptable price? The space marines is like half the price of Indomitus with a fourth the models. I really want the Chaplain, Judicar, and Ancient but not for that price. I'll just grab 'em on EBay.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Have to wait to see how the uk prices shake out but just guessing on them then that is a nuts mark up by gw. Had a quick 30 sec ebay look for the Necron Royal Court models and you could grab all the miniatures for under £30, perhaps even go lower if you spent a tad more time looking. If anyone is interested in any of those Royal Court or Honoured Chapter models I would recommend ebaying them asap, cos their prices might shoot up once people figure out how much gw is charging for them.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
about a month and a half of progress from starting from scratch :

PXL_20210223_093101349.jpg

My base game is very... Flat. That's the next thing I want to improve with rocks and fluff, maybe vegetation but the shop is... bare boned and deliveries are out of wack.

I'm having tons of fun with customization Deathwatch. Tons of fun with customs shoulders pads, tons of funs clipping through shoulders to glue the Deathwatch shoulder non shoulder removable kits. I also got a 5 man Terminator squad, painted and magnetized to swap arms but I miss the correct pads, again, so not in the picture because not technically finished.

Deathwatch is fun but the real hassle is finding the shoulder pads especially the heavy ones (for terminators and gravis armor like agressors, eradicators, etc)

This force might not make much sens table top wise but so far I'm only doing modeling for fun and buying kits I think look good. I'll get into rules and army comp later

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
about a month and a half of progress from starting from scratch :
My base game is very... Flat. That's the next thing I want to improve with rocks and fluff, maybe vegetation but the shop is... bare boned and deliveries are out of wack.

I'm having tons of fun with customization Deathwatch. Tons of fun with customs shoulders pads, tons of funs clipping through shoulders to glue the Deathwatch shoulder non shoulder removable kits. I also got a 5 man Terminator squad, painted and magnetized to swap arms but I miss the correct pads, again, so not in the picture because not technically finished.

Deathwatch is fun but the real hassle is finding the shoulder pads especially the heavy ones (for terminators and gravis armor like agressors, eradicators, etc)

This force might not make much sens table top wise but so far I'm only doing modeling for fun and buying kits I think look good. I'll get into rules and army comp later
Hey that's a cool-looking DW force. I love that the Dark Angel is still wearing his hood!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Hey that's a cool-looking DW force. I love that the Dark Angel is still wearing his hood!

Yeah i thought it'd be thematic.

I have a spare cybernetic arm from the sergeant assault intercessor from the Recruit box. With a spare bulky head looking like Iron Hands styling from the dreadnought i'll try to make an iron hand veteran. Love how deathwatch lets you do these things. Its fun to mix and match these kits. Also, all the mono pose kits I destroyer the shoulders to glue the DW one.

Last edited:

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Looks like regular ass marines are getting 2 wounds in kill team as well. I am pretty out of the loop being honest, is this new kill team release supposed to change the rules like 9th did for 40k? Or is it just adding new units and changing a few stats?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like regular ass marines are getting 2 wounds in kill team as well. I am pretty out of the loop being honest, is this new kill team release supposed to change the rules like 9th did for 40k? Or is it just adding new units and changing a few stats?
It adds more units and some additional games modes with more terrain/fluff rules. The main game remains the same.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Random question.

Has anyone tried playing Warhammer on tabletop simulator? I saw there is a mod for it. But wanted to ask how it was before spending the money.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Random question.

Has anyone tried playing Warhammer on tabletop simulator? I saw there is a mod for it. But wanted to ask how it was before spending the money.
I have a friend who's done it a few times, and has nothing but good things to say. Once you learn the ins and outs of using tabletop sim generally, it's a lot easier.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
40K game changers has a great new interview with Rick Priestley here, outlining the origins of 40k. There's some fun commentary here.

Initially it covers the point in the mid-1980s when they were selling board games on the high street, rpgs, they had a license for D&D, Judge Dredd etc. The amalgation of GW and Citadel Miniatures, and the reason they ended up as Games Workshop and not Citadel (shop signs are expensive and they already had 10 shops). Thus the gig became about games being the medium of selling miniatures, and Rick Priestley happened to be the guy who had access to his mum's typewriter. He talks about how WFB had become the breadwinner, selling tons of minis off the back off that way in advance of all the licensing and RPGs. Priestley had initially written Rogue Trader, which was going to be a spaceships-and-trading games. There was an ad for Rogue Trader with a pic of a spaceship and a promotional spiel in a Warhammer compendium, and so people kept asking about it.

With sci-fi elements like the Slann already existing in Warhammer, he came up with a sci-fi variant than then became Rogue Trader as the game name and promotional stuff was already around. Spaceship combat was still a part of it, and from that space marines appeared. Sci-fi at the time (despite Star Wars) had the rep of not selling, and so they came up with weapon packs so that fantasy models could be converted into sci-fi ones. Cue Eldar, Orks etc as they kitbashed models to test the rules...

He mentions "there was nothing gothic about a tank made out of a deodorant stick. I had talked about 'gothic' only as a mindset, but if you tell that to artists, they start drawing cathedrals." Dune, 2000AD (due to their connections with the license), Michael Moorcock and the age of sail all cited as influences. Also the idea of the heroes not necessarily being 'good guys' (Aliens had just come out). Apparently Americans didn't like this.

Tyranids- Priestley came up with them, and Brian Ansell reimagined them, setting the 'the shadow in the warp moving at sub-light speed'. To which Priestley laughed and says 'the galaxy is 30,000 light years across, they really wouldn't be much of a threat...' Dark Angels, Lion El Jonson and naming characters: 'How many people at the time were into late Victorian poetry- now you can just look it up.'

Same for the idea of mystery and rumours, which the internet, by cataloguing it all, has removed slightly. He doesn't read the Black Library books, as it's too different from his own concept now.

Warhammer runs on d6s because at the time every UK kid had d6s in a monopoly set or whatever, as opposed to the d10s, d20s etc used by other specialist tabletop wargames at the time.

Much more in the interview.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Liber Xenologis arrived and my initial impression is very positive, it appears to be everything I'd hoped! 😁

img_20210227_13333866f8k4d.jpg

img_20210227_13350107mbk3n.jpg

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it just now too. Cool in a way, but it's also MTG which I have completely sworn off. The box set is gonna be overpriced as hell, can feel it.

I miss FFGs games. :(
They'll be commander decks. So likely 40 bucks per 100 card deck, with 4-5 decks representing different factions.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone read Dan Abnetts new book Penitent? The implications of the twist are pretty shocking.