• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Got my physical copy of the Wrath & Glory core rule book and while I'm happy I finally got it after waiting for literally a year my D&D group broke up because of childish drama. I put a lot of effort and energy into setting up and running a campaign and now I'll never get to actually play it :(
Shame about your group, hope you can find a game soon. Been playing WnG digitally on and off for the last half year with my group and it's a lot of fun. It can't quite replace my love of the FFG rpgs but its fun and being so rules light it works well online.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Shame about your group, hope you can find a game soon. Been playing WnG digitally on and off for the last half year with my group and it's a lot of fun. It can't quite replace my love of the FFG rpgs but its fun and being so rules light it works well online.
Thanks. Maybe I'll get to play it one day but it's just not in the cards for me right now.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm having tons of fun creating my deathwatch veteran kill teams. Tons of options, cosmetics, equipements, lore... its good fun mixing modeling, painting and visual narration.

But I have so many question that are still blurry about the Deathwatch rules.

For example, the Black Shields, the rules say this :

unknown.png

Does it mean, I have to have 4 veterans and one Sergeant per squad of 5. Yes.

But the Black Shield ? Can I replace one veteran for one Black Shield? Have a squad of 3 vets, one BS and one Sergeant ?

Or that BS has to be a sixth member ?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm having tons of fun creating my deathwatch veteran kill teams. Tons of options, cosmetics, equipements, lore... its good fun mixing modeling, painting and visual narration.

unknown.png

But the Black Shield ? Can I replace one veteran for one Black Shield? Have a squad of 3 vets, one BS and one Sergeant ?

I believe the Black Shield is extra. It cannot replace a veteran since that would reduce their number below 4.*

*speaking as a non player

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

unknown.png

If I'm reading this right, every squad needs no fewer than 4 Vets and 1 Sergeant, so the Black Shield would have to be a 6th member if you're trying to keep squad size as low as possible.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the Black Shield is extra. It cannot replace a veteran since that would reduce their number below 4.*

*speaking as a non player

If I'm reading this right, every squad needs no fewer than 4 Vets and 1 Sergeant, so the Black Shield would have to be a 6th member if you're trying to keep squad size as low as possible.

that means the box selling 5 deathwatch veterans offers you the possibility to build a BS but not play it in the squad size of the box sold. Worse, you then can't play the squad because it's missing a Vet.

And if the BS become the 6th member, the rules says the squad intantly double in Power Points... So then you just better go to a 10 men squad ?

I'm very confused.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've got some skeletons in the post but there appears to be a global shortage of appropriate spray primer for bone. Had anyone had any experience painting relative dark, grungy skeletons with white primer? I assume if I just douse it in a couple of layers of Nuln Oil then some Seraphim Sepia then it might work out, but I'm interested to try out some contrast paints (like Skeleton Horde) as well.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
that means the box selling 5 deathwatch veterans offers you the possibility to build a BS but not play it in the squad size of the box sold. Worse, you then can't play the squad because it's missing a Vet.

And if the BS become the 6th member, the rules says the squad intantly double in Power Points... So then you just better go to a 10 men squad ?

I'm very confused.
Whaaaat, GW selling models in a super inconvenient package? Never.

Idk, I don't have the rulebook, but just looking at the numbers it definitely looks like if you want a Blackshield, you need at least 6 models. Otherwise, Blackshield would be listed as an upgrade option for the vets, rather than as a model in and of themselves.

If it is, then it gets weird.

Oct 28, 2017
That isn't anything new, the Death Guard boxes literally didn't have enough weapons for squad loadouts. Like the Blightlord Terminator boxes literally doesn't have enough swords and axes to fill a 5 man squad with the appropriate all sword/all axe loadouts that 99% of people use.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Hey guys,

unknown.png

Was that on the box?

In the codex it usually has a little text box below specifying that sort of thing. In the Deathwatch codex specifically you can just take just 5 veterans if you want. It specifies that either the Sargent or shield "can replace one veteran."

So you have to have 5 models. 1 can be a watch Sargent and another can be a shield dude. You can pick either or both but the rest must be veterans.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Waiting for my Dark Angel book to be delivered in a few days. Looking forward to reading this, the last DA codex I read was third edition!

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
How are they not doing a Total Warhammer 40K...

I think its because their foray into guns in Empire Total War were really bad. In the past they have not been able to get primative firearms to match up with formation style warfare (which their games are based on). Let alone considering advance style of firearms.

I think we are more like to see an Age of Sigmar Total War than 40k.

What's interesting is this 3rd game seems to be leaning into the upcoming Old World. The two announced non demon factions are (more) based on their Old World ideas rather than Fantasy Battle.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can't wait for The Old World. It'll be cool to see some of my old favourites reimagined with modern design

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pretty excited about Cathay, would be even better to see them on the tabletop!
I think we likely will. The way Kislev is an early focus for Total War III, being led by the same concept art and with both products being shown off bit by bit this year makes me think it's all being developed in tandem. Which is smart given that's where a healthy portion of the enthusiastic WFB crowd is now.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
New Warhammer book bundle up on Humble Bundle:

www.humblebundle.com

Humble Book Bundle: Multi-Language Tales of Warhammer 2021 by Black Library

We’ve teamed up with Black Library & Games Workshop for our newest bundle. Get ebooks like Leman Russ: The Great Wolf. Pay what you want & support charity!

Tier 1: Five Age of Sigmar novels
Tier 2: Six Warhammer 40,000 novels (The Fabius Bile book is pretty good)
Tier 3: The first five Horus Heresy novels + two of the Primarchs novellas (Magnus, Leman Russ)

If you are interested in the Horus Heresy Tier 3 is a great deal. If you have already picked a Warhammer book bundle in the past there are probably only a few new books here (only ones I don't own are Shadespire: The Mirrored City, Ghoulslayer, Mark of Faith, Carcharodons: Red Tithe and the two short story anthologies).

Last edited:

RedQueensAce

Oct 10, 2020
I've got some skeletons in the post but there appears to be a global shortage of appropriate spray primer for bone. Had anyone had any experience painting relative dark, grungy skeletons with white primer? I assume if I just douse it in a couple of layers of Nuln Oil then some Seraphim Sepia then it might work out, but I'm interested to try out some contrast paints (like Skeleton Horde) as well.
Skeleton Horde on a white base primer is excellent. I love that paint.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Skeleton Horde on a white base primer is excellent. I love that paint.

It does look good, I just wonder if the results I see aren't a bit too pale for the look I'm going for. Mind you a lot of those seem to have been followed up with a drybrushed highlight layer, so maybe if I hold off on that I might manage a darker colour of bone.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to test it on a single model, that's probably the best approach in any situation.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I think we likely will. The way Kislev is an early focus for Total War III, being led by the same concept art and with both products being shown off bit by bit this year makes me think it's all being developed in tandem. Which is smart given that's where a healthy portion of the enthusiastic WFB crowd is now.

I was really shocked by it tbh, as iirc part of the reason they created Age of Sigmar was to get rid of the old world mess they had with Araby/pygmies etc.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was really shocked by it tbh, as iirc part of the reason they created Age of Sigmar was to get rid of the old world mess they had with Araby/pygmies etc.
That's true, part of it was that they could shed anything they didn't want to keep, I think it's fair to say Araby and pygmies and loads of other old obscure but ropey shit from the 80s and 90s isn't coming back (like hobgoblin wolf riders = Ghenghis Khan). For the same reason, we're unlikely to see 40K Praetorian Imperial Guard regiments in pith helmets shooting space orks from hastily erected outposts in references to the Zulus vs colonial British any more either. AoS was mostly to create a new high fantasy setting not limited by set borders on one continent that required several races to move through the Empire to fight each other though, and a ton of place and unit names they couldn't claim copyright on, and clearing out a huge range of old models they didn't want to make any more and weren't selling. But sure, also the opportunity to clear the decks of a load of old stereotyped fantasy background crap (that, to be fair, either hadn't had models at all or hadn't had them for 25+ years) from a world with a ton of connections to ours and had amassed so much shit since being a garage operation in 70s wasn't a bad thing either.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How are they not doing a Total Warhammer 40K...
Gotta agree with LTWheels. Total War is built, fundamentally, on clashing infantry lines. Cavalry flank, ranged units fire over, but those infantry remain at the core. 40k is anachronistic, but it's still sufficiently modern as to not mesh well with the core systems of Total War combat. They'd have to totally revamp tactical combat, and at that point, might as well call it something else.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta agree with LTWheels. Total War is built, fundamentally, on clashing infantry lines. Cavalry flank, ranged units fire over, but those infantry remain at the core. 40k is anachronistic, but it's still sufficiently modern as to not mesh well with the core systems of Total War combat. They'd have to totally revamp tactical combat, and at that point, might as well call it something else.

There's also the grant strategy elements that do not work well with 40k unless they go full on kronos.

Now, I loved that expansion but mortal empires in DoW 2 doesn't seem nearly as forced as that game did.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's also the grant strategy elements that do not work well with 40k unless they go full on kronos.

Now, I loved that expansion but mortal empires in DoW 2 doesn't seem nearly as forced as that game did.
See, that part is solvable without too much difficulty, I think. For each planet, use the county model that TW3K used, where there's a primary settlement and various secondary population centers and points of interest. Armies land by detachment and have to fight their way across the planet from there, unless you go through the lengthy process of re-embarking them to orbit. Taking the full planet opens up options for development that you would otherwise lack, and some planets would be more complex and harder to take than others. Planets would be consolidated into systems, which in addition to having their own points of interest beyond planets that you can use as fortifications or asteroid mining or what have you, would be connected to each other by Warp currents that dictate what routes you can take (or prefer to take, maybe you could have a movement mode where you can take the slow-but-direct route to bypass systems). It's certainly a more complex model than what most TW games have used so far, but not by nearly as much as the tactical combat.

The campaign would be structured a little more like Total War Attilla than a conventional TW game, since the Imperium is so much bigger than everybody else, but I think it'd work. The tactical combat is what would really need work.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I wish someone made a good modern 40k X-com with Space Marines. Would be a good fit I think. Squad based tactical gameplay and "your dudes". Strategic layer could be where to deploy the marines. Some system to replace the research for getting better gear (something different from looting the reliquaries of other chapters).

I know Mechanicus is a thing, but from what it looks like, it's not quite there.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I wish someone made a good modern 40k X-com with Space Marines. Would be a good fit I think. Squad based tactical gameplay and "your dudes". Strategic layer could be where to deploy the marines. Some system to replace the research for getting better gear (something different from looting the reliquaries of other chapters).

I know Mechanicus is a thing, but from what it looks like, it's not quite there.
Mechanicus has a ton of fans, but I tried it and it just wasn't there. Been spoiled by Firaxis I guess, XCOM just plays so smoooooth.

And yes, it'd be fantastic. Combine it with the DOW2 loot stuff for more of an SRPG feel.

Oooooh you could have standard loot become legendary loot as your guys use it and it becomes storied artifacts of the chapter/squad/Deathwatch fortress/whatever.

Shit, now I'm getting annoyed this doesn't exist.

Design your own custom chapter in the Indomitus Founding complete with picking gene-seed traits and founding bonuses like Firstborn veterans, you're meant to be shipped out to the Crusade but the Warp scatters your fleet to parts unknown, command your squad and attempt to establish yourself in a dangerous region of space against Xenos and Chaos. Manage your Battle- Brothers as they level up and both they and their equipment become legend.

E: Ooooh, toss in something like the Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor so it's Your Guys vs. That Asshole, all procedural

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The last good 40K game was Inquisitor Martyr, didn't like most strategy games :(
And while I liked Deathwing more than most other people... it wasn't there.
I guess Darktide is the next big thing, but I want Space Marine, Ork, Tyranid,... carnage...

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Each time someone mentions X-Com and 40k in the same sentence, I get a stupid itch to replay Chaos Gate. Such an amazing flawed game.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Heh, I'm guessing the app wasn't a big success, they're dropping the price of the monthly sub.
And it's still not worth it at £24 a year to upkeep to me. I suppose if you make multiple armies a year and buy all the books and only care about the rules, then maybe it is? To me it makes sense to just buy the couple of codices I want and keep an eye out for the FAQ updates.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My Skeleton Horde Start Collecting box arrived yesterday and holy shit undead are so much easier to build than Admech. Takes me the better part of a week to get a box of Skitarii in the right subassemblies and a few hours in the afternoon for the whole bunch of skeletons and black knights. The Mortarch looks like it's going to be a right pain in the arse (the only time I've seen a "paint this bit before assembly" warning) but at least it's a single setpiece.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
And it's still not worth it at £24 a year to upkeep to me. I suppose if you make multiple armies a year and buy all the books and only care about the rules, then maybe it is? To me it makes sense to just buy the couple of codices I want and keep an eye out for the FAQ updates.
Yeah, given that you need to buy the books to see the codices it really should've been free. I mean, the army builder is behind the paywall too, right? That's just dumb.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, given that you need to buy the books to see the codices it really should've been free. I mean, the army builder is behind the paywall too, right? That's just dumb.
My army builder for 30 years is a pen and a notebook. I've generally found my maths with an open army book and a pen is stronger than all the messed up-options in these digital list builders that I find produce a really cluttered output
/old man yells at clouds

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Not been keeping up with it myself but unless theres been major changes to the app, it was a piece of garbage when I tried it.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Anyone have experience with the White Dwarf subscription service? I threw it on the Christmas Wishlist and the in-laws said they bought it for me. I didn't ask for specifics like when they bought it but from my understanding there's a cut-off (I think the 10th the month prior). I'm expecting to receive February's release but haven't had anything show up yet. Is it common to receive it the day of store availability or later?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Anyone have experience with the White Dwarf subscription service? I threw it on the Christmas Wishlist and the in-laws said they bought it for me. I didn't ask for specifics like when they bought it but from my understanding there's a cut-off (I think the 10th the month prior). I'm expecting to receive February's release but haven't had anything show up yet. Is it common to receive it the day of store availability or later?
I subscribe and usually get it a day before my local supermarket does. Maybe write in and ask them if they could let you know? Here It's
[email protected]
But I suspect it's different address where you are, should be on the site.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Mail came by today and no dice. I think today is the official release date for Feb. I'll give it a few more days since COVID and shipping over here seems to be all over the place.

Thanks for the email. I'll plan on using that if it doesn't show by next weekend.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Mail came by today and no dice. I think today is the official release date for Feb. I'll give it a few more days since COVID and shipping over here seems to be all over the place.

Thanks for the email. I'll plan on using that if it doesn't show by next weekend.
Says that it's up for pre-order this weekend, so you'll probably get it next weekend?

White Dwarf 461 will be available to pre-order on Friday the 12th of February

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
I'm working my way through the Horus Heresy books now. Keep wondering what someone like Sony could do with this, imagine a big budget, story-driven, third person action adventure game like Uncharted but set in the Heresy - telling the tale of Garro or Loken. I'd love that.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
The hell is this? A Thousand Sons scarab in my Regimental Standard?!

Also, by the looks of it, the next Underworlds warband looks like Bone Reapers.