• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really more and more considering dipping back into W40K.

I'm an astartes guy but there are so many cool looking and sounding chapters playable, my heart is torn as to where to start.

Grey Knights ? Their terminators are so good looking with their silver shade and angular helms. I love the wrist mounted guns and energy spears to hunt demons.
Deathwatch ? Love the simple color code, silvers accent and touch of colors from their original chapters. Love the idea of all stars kill teams hunting demons. (yeah, I like silver and demon killing)
Space Wolves, love the idea of going straight to melee but I'm bit overdosing on viking everything.
Hell, I even like the blood angel aesthetic but not the bright red. I Like more the toned down, darker toned death company or flesh tearers.

Any advices for a beginner ? From painting, to collecting to beginner friendly armies to play ?

I'm going to second Mikeside here, go cheap and fuck around.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
The models aren't likely to be made obsolete, maybe the rulebook but I don't know how soon (or if it's already happened). If you look at it from the perspective of just getting the models, it looks like a really good deal.

The 20 Chainrasps alone would be $80 direct from GW's store, for comparison.

The price went up again, so I'm holding off on starting yet another army which I don't have time or money to paint up. Back to concentrating on admech.

On that note, how do people paint bigger vehicles? I've primed my dunerider gray, but every description online seems to have either airbrushed or primed it in the base colour they want. Is it silly to be sitting there with my brush trying to paint the whole thing over?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
On that note, how do people paint bigger vehicles? I've primed my dunerider gray, but every description online seems to have either airbrushed or primed it in the base colour they want. Is it silly to be sitting there with my brush trying to paint the whole thing over?

I recently painted an Onager Dunecrawler using a brush (on primed white), it was a pain but more time-consuming than anything else. Just make sure you have a large brush and a wet palette, or at least conditions where a big glob of paint won't dry so quickly.

dunecrawler.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks, it's actually Averland Sunset but the lighting is a bit yellow in that shot so it looks orange-y. Learning how to paint with yellow has been an... experience.

It also help that my phone camera is pretty naff so the blemishes are harder to spot (Pro Photography Tip).

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
They finally put an army builder in the app!

Seems easier to use and clearer than Battlescribe. Finally I get something for my £3.99

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Does it supersede all of Battlescribe's features? Or are there things missing?

There are some bits missing- currently you can't select custom chapter traits, only the main factions, but GW said that was coming soon. it's much nicer to use and to look at than battlescribe, but there are various errors that make lists from it unreliable. They are undoubtedly being bombarded with feedback about any inaccuracies, so if they can fix them all I think it will be superior to battlescribe in the end.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Found this on Eurogamer's article (blurb, really) about the trailer:

"In the depths of the hive, the seeds of corruption threaten an overwhelming tide of darkness. A heretical cult known as the Admonition seeks to seize control of the planet Atoma Prime and lay waste to its inhabitants. It is up to you and your allies in the Inquisition to root out the enemy before the city succumbs to Chaos.

"Step into the dystopian and violent world of the Warhammer 40,000 universe where you play the part of a convict turned agent who serves the zealous Inquisition in its mission to exterminate Chaos cultist corruption."

Sounds like we're either playing a custom character, or the whole squad are pressed convicts. I'm kind of hoping more for the latter. It'd give them an excuse to make the characters more eccentric or play them against type, and besides, the squad dynamics were the best part of 1 and 2. Fully customizable characters would probably make that impossible to replicate.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Found this on Eurogamer's article (blurb, really) about the trailer:

Sounds like we're either playing a custom character, or the whole squad are pressed convicts. I'm kind of hoping more for the latter. It'd give them an excuse to make the characters more eccentric or play them against type, and besides, the squad dynamics were the best part of 1 and 2. Fully customizable characters would probably make that impossible to replicate.
I think the characters will most likely be set cause as you say, character banter and dynamics is a bit important to give them a bit of life, something that won't come out of customised characters. And yeah, I like the Vermintide fellas as well, hopefully they hit that nail again.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting mistake posted on bolter and chainsword.

www.bolterandchainsword.com

Redone Gorkamorka nob coming

So have seen a picture floating round of a Redone gamesday/gorkamorka nob someone got in their bugmansson box instead of the Dwarven lad himself. Last christmases Orky boot rumour is there! *from maki/mari on twitter Edit pic or no proof right?

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting mistake posted on bolter and chainsword.

www.bolterandchainsword.com

Redone Gorkamorka nob coming

So have seen a picture floating round of a Redone gamesday/gorkamorka nob someone got in their bugmansson box instead of the Dwarven lad himself. Last christmases Orky boot rumour is there! *from maki/mari on twitter Edit pic or no proof right?
I see they finally revealed the oldest rumor engine pic of that boot. Though I'm kinda confused on why Gorkamorka was chosen.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
New set of FAQs and Legends updates are out.
Nice to see them fix the Death Rider Commander not being able to order Cavalry, shame the Arvus Lighter is still entirely unarmed.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY finished The Last Wall. What a dreadful book. I mentioned this to Red, and he pointed out that there was a climactic showdown between Kharn, Sigismund, Dorn, and Perturabo and somehow it still felt boring.

Nothing about this book worked on any level. Forrix struggling to survive behind enemy lines didn't land because there was never any real indication that the traitors were at risk of losing the battle. Zenobi and the Adabba Free Corps ended up being a huge shaggy dog story with 0 meaningful buildup. The Fists defending the port felt pointless because other than the opening engagement they just lost over and over. Abaddon was completely invincible in every scene he was in. Katsuhiro came back to do nothing. Keeler's stuff was like... oh cool this is their first exposure to a covert chaos cult but we know exactly how this ends from minute 1 so...

Ugh.

I even read the author's notes a bit because I had to figure out how this happened. Zenobi's story was apparently supposed to be about the subtlety of treason and was supposed to be a revelation without pulling the rug out from under the reader and I gotta say, it did not work. At all. It really just raised even more questions that the book made no attempt to answer. When did Adabba flip sides? Why were there even Imperial Cult worshippers prostletyzing in there if the entire force was meant to be secretly subverted from the word jump? I don't get it.

Anyway, after some debate, I moved on to Saturnine instead of taking a Siege break with Infinite and the Divine, because Saturnine is literally why I came back to the Heresy era books in the first place, and by god I'm gonna get what I came here for. I owe it to myself for getting through The First Wall. And man, 40 pages in, I'm fucking loving it. Abnett is just so much better as a writer than Thorpe could ever hope to be. Sure, there's some odd inconsistencies - the void shields block weather now, even though there was a whole bit about how they fuck up the snow in Lost and the Damned. And now the Lion's Gate and the Lion's Gate Spaceport are the same edifice. But I don't care. The writing quality is just such an upgrade. Like night and day, on every level. Abnett can write people who talk like people and can actually pace a damn scene. The banter between the Mournival and Eidolon? *mwah*. So glad I'm finally done with The First Wall.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Random lore question. Is a living saint essentially a greater daemon of the Emperor?

Because after reading through the wiki I am now reading through a few of the recommended books. And the living saint really just sounds like a "good" version of what happened to the traitor primarchs. Also what's with them all being women? Do they have to be women? Why?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Random lore question. Is a living saint essentially a greater daemon of the Emperor?

Because after reading through the wiki I am now reading through a few of the recommended books. And the living saint really just sounds like a "good" version of what happened to the traitor primarchs. Also what's with them all being women? Do they have to be women? Why?
To the best of my knowledge, there's two kinds of Imperial 'saints'. There are plenty of men and women canonised by the ministorum through the millennia for great deeds, and generally they are referred to in the background lore for this, that the other deed that was important to the faith. Sebastian Thor etc.

In terms of 'modern combat saints', battlefield badasses, and the specific, almost military unit categorisation of people that appear in the tabletop game and novels as these near-angelic beings in the 41st millennium, like Saint Sabbat (Abnett's books), Ephrael Stern (the comics), Celestine (the Sororitas army list etc), yeah they are often women. In the latter two cases because that combination of faith manifesting as psychic powers in a warrior capable of making enough use of it to survive and not be put on a black ship heading for Terra is a Sororitas thing. By virtue of the church not having men under arms and their own peoples 'faith' being seen as less suspicious (to them), and the wielder thus being in an environment where such manifestations are more controlled and channeled on a semi-regular basis, and even then they tend to get suspected of heresy along the way. There's also a cliche in the general Joan of Arc references, the Catholic imagery, the Fleur-de-Lys etc.

I also think, in 2020, GW probably tries to add women as powerful psykers, inquisitors, and combatants etc (and eldar ones too) to factions where they can with good reason, as the marine factions are entirely male. It also then pairs up well with the Sororitas epitomising militarised faith as a faction, and has roots going back a long way now in terms of background too. So I'm not surprised they lean into it as 'saints' now being a 'Sororitas monster unit', it works.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
To the best of my knowledge, there's two kinds of Imperial 'saints'. There are plenty of men and women canonised by the ministorum through the millennia for great deeds, and generally they are referred to in the background lore for this, that the other deed that was important to the faith. Sebastian Thor etc.

In terms of 'modern combat saints', battlefield badasses, and the specific, almost military unit categorisation of people that appear in the tabletop game and novels as these near-angelic beings in the 41st millennium, like Saint Sabbat (Abnett's books), Ephrael Stern (the comics), Celestine (the Sororitas army list etc), yeah they are often women. In the latter two cases because that combination of faith manifesting as psychic powers in a warrior capable of making enough use of it to survive and not be put on a black ship heading for Terra is a Sororitas thing. By virtue of the church not having men under arms and their own peoples 'faith' being seen as less suspicious (to them), and the wielder thus being in an environment where such manifestations are more controlled and channeled on a semi-regular basis, and even then they tend to get suspected of heresy along the way. There's also a cliche in the general Joan of Arc references, the Catholic imagery, the Fleur-de-Lys etc.

I also think, in 2020, GW probably tries to add women as powerful psykers, inquisitors, and combatants etc (and eldar ones too) to factions where they can with good reason, as the marine factions are entirely male. It also then pairs up well with the Sororitas epitomising militarised faith as a faction, and has roots going back a long way now in terms of background too. So I'm not surprised they lean into it as 'saints' now being a 'Sororitas monster unit', it works.
Oh I had no idea there were men. I'll have to look them up. Saint Celestine is the one I keep seeing come up and there is the little girl too. It's crazy.

Thanks for the info though. Still super noob to all of this lore.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh I had no idea there were men. I'll have to look them up. Saint Celestine is the one I keep seeing come up and there is the little girl too. It's crazy.

Thanks for the info though. Still super noob to all of this lore.
No prob! That's off the top of my head so may not be entirely accurate, am sure others can correct :D

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No prob! That's off the top of my head so may not be entirely accurate, am sure others can correct :D
No worries. I appreciate it. I was mainly asking because when I googled the living saint thing I kept seeing reddit theory threads talking about how the saints and the "legion of the damned"(?) were actually just the Emperor's version of daemons. And that blew my mind.

But I didn't wanna dive too deep because no didn't want to spoil too much since I am reading the books.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Not confirmed but its heavily inferred.

Also what's with them all being women? Do they have to be women? Why?

They dont have to but it's more of an irl problem of the space marines arbitrarily being all men and so the writers have to fit in super-powered women were they can.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not confirmed but its heavily inferred.

They dont have to but it's more of an irl problem of the space marines arbitrarily being all men and so the writers have to fit in super-powered women were they can.
Oh okay. See I thought it either had to be a woman for some reason or it was because the Soriritas are deeply faithful. Whereas the Astartes are more loyal to the Emperor if that makes sense. Most of the space marines outside a few exceptions seem to be largely void of religion. Whereas the SoB are nothing BUT religion.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Oh okay. See I thought it either had to be a woman for some reason or it was because the Soriritas are deeply faithful. Whereas the Astartes are more loyal to the Emperor if that makes sense. Most of the space marines outside a few exceptions seem to be largely void of religion. Whereas the SoB are nothing BUT religion.

There are books with Male saints and female non-SOB saints. Granted not many but there are.

Thing with 40k is that the faith or whatever it is is an actual form of energy in universe, people in world just dont know or understand it and think that worship can bring it about.

The lore around saints is more implied than anything but sisters tend to be more exposed to the emperors warp energy (as well as purhasable models for tabletop use). It doesnt necesarily have to be one of them though, it could be a solider, or a random person on the street or anyone really in special circumstances and as long as they havnt already been exposed to chaos warp energies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There are books with Male saints and female non-SOB saints. Granted not many but there are.

Thing with 40k is that the faith or whatever it is is an actual form of energy in universe, people in world just dont know or understand it and think that worship can bring it about.

The lore around saints is more implied than anything but sisters tend to be more exposed to the emperors warp energy (as well as purhasable models for tabletop use). It doesnt necesarily have to be one of them though, it could be a solider, or a random person on the street or anyone really in special circumstances and as long as they havnt already been exposed to chaos warp energies.
I love the concept of faith being a physical force in the universe. It allows for so much interesting lore. And the art for the Saints are amazing.

Also on a slightly related subject the Astartes are obviously the main attraction for the lore, but the more I read about the Sisters the more badass they seem. They have nowhere near the same level of supersoldier transformation as the marines, but they still are just complete monsters on the battlefield. And the way they work closely with the Inquisition is cool too.

I need to find some good Sororitas books.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I love the concept of faith being a physical force in the universe. It allows for so much interesting lore. And the art for the Saints are amazing.

Also on a slightly related subject the Astartes are obviously the main attraction for the lore, but the more I read about the Sisters the more badass they seem. They have nowhere near the same level of supersoldier transformation as the marines, but they still are just complete monsters on the battlefield. And the way they work closely with the Inquisition is cool too.

I need to find some good Sororitas books.
Mark of Faith by Rachel Harrison was good, as are Danie Ware's short stories (I wish they'd publish a compilation of them).

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly an Imperial Saint is is sort of a contested topic in-universe. Saint Celestine and the Legion of the Damned were affected by the anti-warp pylons on Cadia, but not completely shut down like the Daemons were. Ephrael Stern, meanwhile, is totally unbothered by similar structures in other stories. Clearly, whatever the superpowered Saints are, they're not exactly Daemons, unless the Emperor's anti-Chaos Anathema stuff gives them some special properties that make them behave unllike regular conventional Warp manifestations for some reason.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, don't bother trying to read the books "in order." Specific series or storylines, sure. But all 40k books? No way. You'd just be torturing yourself.

Speaking self-harm, I'm still thinking about The First Wall. This is a thing that carries through over all the books, but it was especially evident here: nobody's really addressing the fact that none of Dorn or Perturabo's strategic genius really... amounts to anything. Like, maybe that's because they're equally matched, but Dorn got sucker punched in Solar War (granted, by weird ritual stuff he wasn't ready for) and by Kroeger in The First Wall, who everybody around him seems to think is a moron. Perty, meanwhile, is gloating about drawing a great hand but is ignoring the fact that his entire plan is "just smash the shit out of them with attrition because we can afford to do that because we have so much more men and materiel than the loyalists do." That doesn't take a strategic genius, Perty.

This is kind of a whole thing about Perturabo's character. He's the siege specialist, the breaker of fortresses, but he's also the dude who just tosses his people into a meatgrinder over and over. That doesn't suggest, to me, any real aptitude for warfare at all. It's actually kind of a defining trait of incompetent commanders in most media.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, don't bother trying to read the books "in order." Specific series or storylines, sure. But all 40k books? No way. You'd just be torturing yourself.

Speaking self-harm, I'm still thinking about The First Wall. This is a thing that carries through over all the books, but it was especially evident here: nobody's really addressing the fact that none of Dorn or Perturabo's strategic genius really... amounts to anything. Like, maybe that's because they're equally matched, but Dorn got sucker punched in Solar War (granted, by weird ritual stuff he wasn't ready for) and by Kroeger in The First Wall, who everybody around him seems to think is a moron. Perty, meanwhile, is gloating about drawing a great hand but is ignoring the fact that his entire plan is "just smash the shit out of them with attrition because we can afford to do that because we have so much more men and materiel than the loyalists do." That doesn't take a strategic genius, Perty.

This is kind of a whole thing about Perturabo's character. He's the siege specialist, the breaker of fortresses, but he's also the dude who just tosses his people into a meatgrinder over and over. That doesn't suggest, to me, any real aptitude for warfare at all. It's actually kind of a defining trait of incompetent commanders in most media.
Yeah Perturabo is the main primarch that I don't get. Even the story of him sacking Olympia and killing his foster sister doesn't really make sense to me. She shows him that his feeling of inadequacy and neglect is misplaced. That he does the hardest work because his father trusts him to get it done. And he has a realization that she is right, but strangles her to death. Afterwards he has this breakdown where he realizes that the Emperor won't forgive him and that his brothers won't forgive him. And he has this deep regret. But then happily betrays them all and jumps in bed with Horus. Even lies to The Lions face.

And then there is the whole fight he has with Angron after his fall and he repeatedly mocks Angron for selling himself into slavery at the hands of the ruinous powers.....but then goes on to join them himself.

The whole character arc for him is just completely bizarre.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Staffy's Horus Heresy reading guide:

1. Read the first ones up to Eisenstein
2. Look for Dembski-Bowden and Abnett and read books by them
3. Read whatever looks interesting

I wills stan Dembski-Bowden as long as I draw breath

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
I want someone to write up a list of the Horus Hersey Novels that are basically 40k novels with a superfluous character added in them to make them a "Horus Hersey Series"
I would hazard a guess there are at least a dozen of them. The Damnation of Pythos is the most egregious of them