• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
So GW is doing an advent calendar of previews for Xmas.

First one is def 40k related.

KujeXqGuN65UCBV7.png

It does look like a fleur de lys and I think the armor mark looks heavier then typical sister armor, but that ankle is throwing me for a loop.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Carrying on with my Flesh Tearers.
aj1g5qoxns261.jpg

1Soplsk.jpg

cxYgG3x.jpg

NiLa8O9.jpg

I just wish they'd hurry up and release the Storm Speeder and Heavy Intercessors!

I've just ordered some Ambots to turn into Terminators that are to Primaris scale. Looking forward to seeing how I do with 'em!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Carrying on with my Flesh Tearers.

I just wish they'd hurry up and release the Storm Speeder and Heavy Intercessors!

I've just ordered some Ambots to turn into Terminators that are to Primaris scale. Looking forward to seeing how I do with 'em!
Amazing work! How do you get the icon so sharp, are those transfers or freehand?

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I don't think they do any Dark Angels stuff, though I guess you've got official transfers at least! Their gothic script stuff is beautiful though!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah I don't think they do any Dark Angels stuff, though I guess you've got official transfers at least! Their gothic script stuff is beautiful though!
I mostly use the premade shoulder pads from various places as I try to use transfers as little as possible due to messing them up as a kid, but I'm going to have to use them for some ravenwing soon, so I bought a bottle of Microsol and Microset and watched some tutorials. Hopefully that'll get me back on track, then I might start doing the squad numbers as transfers.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly use the premade shoulder pads from various places as I try to use transfers as little as possible due to messing them up as a kid, but I'm going to have to use them for some ravenwing soon, so I bought a bottle of Microsol and Microset and watched some tutorials. Hopefully that'll get me back on track, then I might start doing the squad numbers as transfers.

Tbh, I really like the symbols that places like popgoesthemonkey has.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Tbh, I really like the symbols that places like popgoesthemonkey has.
Yeah I used those for my Indomitus set where some of the arms had shoulder pads moulded on, very useful for the characters.

So much easier than with my Invader where I had to chop off the arm that fitted the thing it was holding onto at the right angle, add a different upper arm and a fresh ravenwing shoulder pad to get the icon on.

Fun though. Messing around with plastic kits and tools is one of my favourite parts of the hobby.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, its a little sad to see it pushed being a Death Guard main, but honestly not too upset. I'll get the chance to enjoy the new DG releases without the looming expensive stress of xmas on the horizon and be that much closer to the time my local club can finally reopen. I wonder if this means Dark Angels and Eldar are gonna get pushed slightly too or if we are getting mega release January/February. Fun to see Mortarion at least, never got round to getting him but 2021 might be the year.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm excited for the Black Library show tomorrow, lots of new books being unveiled. Hoping for the next Siege and Dawn of Fire books.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see the name Dawn of Fire, I assume it's tied into Vulkan (or at least the Salamanders) and then I remember it's more Indomitus filller and get sad.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was too, but the 2 Authors yet to pen a book in the Siege of Terra series (Chris Wraight and Aaron Dembski-Bowden) are not listed. I hope this is all a ruse!
'Mortis' by John French is Siege of Terra book 5!
Horus unleashes Legio Mortis against Legio Ignatum, the last loyalist Titan reserve held back by Dorn to defend the palace inner walls. Mortis is the archetypal traitor Titan legion from the original Epic tabletop games back in the 80s. Also a reference to despair eating away at the defenders after everything they've been through, with Katsuhiro returning again.. As the defenders lean more on the promise of faith, Mortis is a switch between the 'old ways' of the Legion war and the threshold of the Imperium vs the warp.
Cover is amazing- a chaos Imperator Titan.

'Godblight', Dark Imperium book 3, by Guy Haley announced.

As I thought, he's gone back to the first two to make them tie into Dawn of Fire better, which is why they've been off sale for a long time now. They've now retconned Dark Imperium- the books now occur after the first phase of the Indomitus crusade, about 12 years after Dawn of Fire begins, not 100 years later after it ends.
"Alongside Godblight, you'll be able to pick up new editions of Dark Imperium and Plague War. Guy has revisited these novels to align with the epic events of the Indomitus Crusade – so they now dovetail nicely with the ongoing Dawn of Fire series."

Last edited:

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Have anyone watch the Netflix documentary on Calcio Fiorentino? It's real life blood bowl in Italy.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
picked up the multipart assault inercessor kit, and while i think i like the poses more in the indomitus/starter editions (which i had the majority of unbuilt waiting for this day). just playing around with these bits etc is so much fun.

the standard marine body is just good stuff.

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
So excited that the Benquin trilogy is moving forward, and the new cover designs are just .chefkiss.gif. No doubt that, as soon as I have both, they'll annouce a different style for the third...

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
'Mortis' by John French is Siege of Terra book 5!
Horus unleashes Legio Mortis against Legio Ignatum, the last loyalist Titan reserve held back by Dorn to defend the palace inner walls. Mortis is the archetypal traitor Titan legion from the original Epic tabletop games back in the 80s. Also a reference to despair eating away at the defenders after everything they've been through, with Katsuhiro returning again.. As the defenders lean more on the promise of faith, Mortis is a switch between the 'old ways' of the Legion war and the threshold of the Imperium vs the warp.
Cover is amazing- a chaos Imperator Titan.
John French is probably the only person I didn't want getting a 2nd Siege of Terra Book, so its a mixed result for me. Also hope that Dan Abnet was hinting he was writing the final Siege book

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
John French is probably the only person I didn't want getting a 2nd Siege of Terra Book, so its a mixed result for me. Also hope that Dan Abnet was hinting he was writing the final Siege book
I have to admit The Solar War is the only book of his I've read, and I really wasn't impressed with it. Still, if that means we get a run of ADB, Wraight and then Abnett writing the last 3, Im fine with that.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
One of my local shops have the "Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: Soul Wars Starter Set" on sale for 57 % off. So about 65 USD. Is that worth it? I'm thinking if it's a set that is soon to be outdated or something.
I was considering maybe using the models for some conversions or kitbashing. Or maybe I'll get into Age of Sigmar as well :P.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
One of my local shops have the "Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: Soul Wars Starter Set" on sale for 57 % off. So about 65 USD. Is that worth it? I'm thinking if it's a set that is soon to be outdated or something.
I was considering maybe using the models for some conversions or kitbashing. Or maybe I'll get into Age of Sigmar as well :P.

The models aren't likely to be made obsolete, maybe the rulebook but I don't know how soon (or if it's already happened). If you look at it from the perspective of just getting the models, it looks like a really good deal.

The 20 Chainrasps alone would be $80 direct from GW's store, for comparison.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017

This is the current Age of Sigmar box set. Both armies are very new (the Nighthaunts were introduced in this box, and the Stormcast Eternals in the box are a new kind that were also introduced in this box). There are rumours there will be a new Age of Sigmar edition soon but it likely won't be until next summer at earliest. The AoS core book would likely get replaced but even that's not a big deal since the current one is like 2/3 lore / fluff anyhow.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
That is a crazy good deal for that set. The core of my Stormcast are from that box and the nighthaunts are still waiting for me to paint them up!

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Anything else would be unacceptable. And Garviel Loken needs to be on the Vengeful Spirit during the final battle with Horus and the Emperor.

"I was there when Horus slew the Emperor."
Thats a good shout, but I doubt he will survive the final book
I'm sure he will. Part of me wonders if they wanted Abnett in the middle as well (Saturnine) so it doesn't lose pace, as some of the other novels do suffer that, understandably so with sieges
Yeah it has to be Abnett that finishes the series, and it is a good point that ADB, Wraight and Abnett to close it out is a strong finish. Wonder what the release plan is, I could see them getting all 4 books out next year, but it seems more likely that the final book will be 2022

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally got my Cawdor Gang box, time to bodge these bastards into some Fulgurites. Will probably just sub out the staves with glaive/guandao weapons built from cocktail sticks, kneadatite and third-part bits.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got my Cawdor Gang box, time to bodge these bastards into some Fulgurites. Will probably just sub out the staves with glaive/guandao weapons built from cocktail sticks, kneadatite and third-part bits.
Nice, good luck with them. That's a nice kit I've found (although a tad more monopose then I expected but I can manage). I've got a box I'm gonna turn into nurgle cultists at some point, they make fab bases for any run down imperium civvy.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really curious what the Cawdor book will bring to the table. Their faction has gone through a subtle yet meaningful transformation with this edition of the game so I wonder if they will lean into that a bit more or maybe offer up some throwback to Redemptionists in some form or another.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nice, good luck with them. That's a nice kit I've found (although a tad more monopose then I expected but I can manage). I've got a box I'm gonna turn into nurgle cultists at some point, they make fab bases for any run down imperium civvy.

I got some inspiration from Reddit (apparently it's a common kitbash), and when I can get 10 models for less money than half as many actual Electro-Priests, it's a no-brainer. I didn't quite realise that the 10 models are actually 2 sets of the 5 same models with different weapons/faces, but I'll try to get creative with how I distinguish them.

Trying to deprive them of their offhand weapons (guns, knives, etc.) is proving a little bit trickier, since it just leaves a clenched fist that seems sloppily done. Where I can I'll try and manoeuvre them into two-hand wielding poses, otherwise they'll just have to be gripping censers or something. Open hands are a rare spare but I might be able to bodge some together from spare Pteraxii arms and talons to make some primitive claw hands. We'll see how much patience I have.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I got some inspiration from Reddit (apparently it's a common kitbash), and when I can get 10 models for less than half as many actual Electro-Priests, it's a no-brainer. I didn't quite realise that the 10 models are actually 2 sets of the 5 same models with different weapons/faces, but I'll try to get creative with how I distinguish them.

Trying to deprive them of their offhand weapons (guns, knives, etc.) is proving a little bit trickier, since it just leaves a clenched fist that seems sloppily done. Where I can I'll try and manoeuvre them into two-hand wielding poses, otherwise they'll just have to be gripping censers or something. Open hands are a rare spare but I might be able to bodge some together from spare Pteraxii arms and talons to make some primitive claw hands. We'll see how much patience I have.

I've always thought that if GW released a "hands" version of their skull box, it would sell well. Just supply a wide range of human hangs in various poses on a sprue. We'll do the rest.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
yeah that would be fantastic - I've just got a bunch of bits for some conversions.
Corpsegrinder gang so I can use their chainglaives for Death Company Intercessors, some Stormcast Eternal Paladins & Dark Eldar Scourges to turn into Sanguinary Guard and some very attractive double-handed chainswords from Conversion World, not sure what they're for yet.
Having a range of hands would really save a lot of faff. Ahh well.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I got some inspiration from Reddit (apparently it's a common kitbash), and when I can get 10 models for less money than half as many actual Electro-Priests, it's a no-brainer. I didn't quite realise that the 10 models are actually 2 sets of the 5 same models with different weapons/faces, but I'll try to get creative with how I distinguish them.
Oh wow, I totally thought the Cawdor gangers were all unique monopose miniatures (other then the interchangeable heads). But looking again you are right, they share 2 loadouts for each body. Cheers for making me aware of that, good to know before I do any conversion job for sure.

Also I would totally buy a hand set, that sounds mega useful.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Just got my revisited Wrath and Glory rulebook from Cubicle 7. Going to give it a read tonight.

Here's hoping I actually get to play it some day.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really more and more considering dipping back into W40K.

I'm an astartes guy but there are so many cool looking and sounding chapters playable, my heart is torn as to where to start.

Grey Knights ? Their terminators are so good looking with their silver shade and angular helms. I love the wrist mounted guns and energy spears to hunt demons.
Deathwatch ? Love the simple color code, silvers accent and touch of colors from their original chapters. Love the idea of all stars kill teams hunting demons. (yeah, I like silver and demon killing)
Space Wolves, love the idea of going straight to melee but I'm bit overdosing on viking everything.
Hell, I even like the blood angel aesthetic but not the bright red. I Like more the toned down, darker toned death company or flesh tearers.

Any advices for a beginner ? From painting, to collecting to beginner friendly armies to play ?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I'm an astartes guy but there are so many cool looking and sounding chapters playable, my heart is torn as to where to start.

Grey Knights ? Their terminators are so good looking with their silver shade and angular helms. I love the wrist mounted guns and energy spears to hunt demons.
Deathwatch ? Love the simple color code, silvers accent and touch of colors from their original chapters. Love the idea of all stars kill teams hunting demons. (yeah, I like silver and demon killing)
Space Wolves, love the idea of going straight to melee but I'm bit overdosing on viking everything.
Hell, I even like the blood angel aesthetic but not the bright red. I Like more the toned down, darker toned death company or flesh tearers.

Any advices for a beginner ? From painting, to collecting to beginner friendly armies to play ?

Space Wolves and Deathwatch have the most recent Codex Supplements, and some of the newest models too, if you want something up to date. The downside is that they might be low on stock right now, with everyone jumping in on the new stuff.

Grey Knights are a small army, so you could get a decent force out of fewer models than the others. They are, however, pretty low tier competitively, if that concerns you (or they were at least, getting mixed messages on closer inspection). Their codex is also more limited than other chapters.

Blood Ravens are a possible red-coloured chapter, theirs is a bit more muted and I'm pretty sure they have unique rules (if not models).

Astartes are a decent place to start anyway, since they have an enormous variety of stuff to suit your style and remain strong all rounders on the tabletop.

Last edited:

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK

My advice would be to get some cheap second hand Intercessors (there are a million FB trade groups where you can get some cheap)

Fuck about with them, painting them as different chapters.
While you paint, read about the chapter you're painting.

You'll probably fall in love with one of them - once you're sure, you can strip the ones you've painted as other chapters if you want to & start building a force