• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Treebeard and the line of Slaanesh miniatures for AoS look incredible!

They really do (still kinda amazed that they do a proper mpk refresh of the chaos warrior/chosen though - I can complain about GW choices as well).

The Myrmidesh Painbringers are really amazing look though.

Looking on the bright side, with Dark Angels out of the way in 2 months time, it leaves the schedule open for a lot of stuff that doesn't involve marines in 2021. I understand entirely why they get the Primaris/marines set up first as their sales outweigh everything else combined, but with that baseline established, it'll be interesting to see what ranges will be leading in the spring. I really wouldn't be surprised at a major refresh for any of the other factions.

it'll be Grey Knights /s

you forgot the rumored
Black Templar Codex Supplement
!!!

To be honest, i'm actually super pumped for that one if its true. However, I don't expect a major refresh anytime soon. Like I think there was a good amount of time between Shadowspear and Dark imperium and that's when generic Chaos got their mid sized refresh IMHO.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Sickly, sinful, spectacles stand, shuffle, shamble and saunter shamelessly in mine scandalized sight! I suggest a solution... Surely such sedition should sour and succumb to Sigvald - the salacious, scandalous and sensational servant of Slaanesh! Son of Succubi, scion of sordid acts and slayer of squalid serfs! See how I stroll, stride, swagger and swirl, spin, slash and stab at stupid, senseless scum! Soon they shall swoon, shall seek solace and death from sundry torments wrought on them by my strategic, severing, scintillating shower of shimmering strikes! Send for the sword - summon Sliverslash!"

Oct 26, 2017
so, sounds like this new warzone is moving the timeline forward again, and from rumblings. sounds like typhus will win and this critical forgeworld will fall to chaos

Oct 26, 2017
its centered around Forgeworld Metallica, a very important forgeworld. has been named for some time.
warhammer40k.fandom.com

Metalica

Metalica, known as "The Gleaming Giant of Ultima Segmentum," is an Imperial Forge World of the Adeptus Mechanicus that is located in the Charadon Sector of the Segmentum Ultima of the Milky Way Galaxy. Metalica is situated in one of the most dangerous parts of the galaxy, near the Ork Empire of...

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I know that one, it already has rules. Could have been an opportunity for a new one but maybe an established world being put at risk raises the stakes somewhat.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
so, sounds like this new warzone is moving the timeline forward again, and from rumblings. sounds like typhus will win and this critical forgeworld will fall to chaos

I'm very skeptical after Vigilus and really nothing happening in Psychic awakening, then again Cadia did fall.

cough
Black templar rumored summer
cough
they will arrive next to 3~ new plastics

I know valrak mentioned Helbrecht getting primarized before for March.. And i'm expecting a primaris emperor's champion, I guess the third one would be an upgrade sprue with a unit based around them like death company intercessors and the hounds of whatever .

Last edited:

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
cough
Black templar rumored summer
cough
they will arrive next to 3~ new plastics

Lm93KRM.gif

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'll take the new Van Saar additions all day every day

t13LJtix7Owv_kq44WJnRrJ0UFc6qnVPDpEzwxexKtY.jpg

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Those new Van Saar do look very cool. I am racking my brain for some form of conversion job I could use them for. Could make some interesting techie Dark Eldar. Also I am definitely getting that Underworlds faction for my Slaves to Darkness, they are some real nice chaos knights.

Wadatah

Aug 8, 2018
Hey all. Been on the sidelines for a while with 40k and finally decided to take the plunge. Got an exceptional deal on the Necron half of Indomitus and I've been slowly painting up my space skeletons. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to actually play my first game, what with us living in hellworld, but I've been looking to pick up the rules. Now, I'm trying to do this somewhat on the cheap and I just have a question about these rulebooks. There's the free version of the rules online, but that's of course bare bones. I'm leaning towards buying the Recruit Edition starter set to add on to my army and get a copy of the rulebook. The thing is I can't find anything solid online about whether or not that rulebook is the "complete" rules or not. I've seen some people say that it's just the core rules sans fluff and others say it's still missing some stuff. Anyone here know?

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the Recruit edition to get into the hobby as well. The manual has some lore fluff, but then it is built up with missions that introduce you to the flow and mechanics of the game. It is definitely not a complete rulebook, but the missions are nice to get yourself acquainted. I've been wondering myself on what to get and I'm pretty sure the core rulebook is inevitable.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Think the rulebook options are basically the standalone hardback core rulebook, the softback rulebook in the Command Edition starter set, or "Chapter Approved: Grand Tournament 2020 Mission Pack and Munitorum Field Manual" if you're just needing Matched Play rules as they're included with that.

Edit: I would check eBay btw, some resellers have split out the hardback rulebook from the Indomitus set and the softback rulebook from the Command Edition set and listed them at reasonable prices (here in the UK at least).

Last edited:

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm loving all the stuff I'm seeing about the Blood Angels release.
No idea how competitive they'll be, but it sounds like narrative is going to be a blast, and I think that's all I'm going to really be playing once lockdowns etc are over.

I'm REALLY thirsty for them to hurry up and release those heavy intercessors and the new land speeders, though.

What else is announced but not released yet? I can't think of anything else.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
No idea how competitive they'll be, but it sounds like narrative is going to be a blast, and I think that's all I'm going to really be playing once lockdowns etc are over.

I'm REALLY thirsty for them to hurry up and release those heavy intercessors and the new land speeders, though.

What else is announced but not released yet? I can't think of anything else.
For marines? New Bladeguard multipart kit, captain with heavy bolt rifle, that's about it.

I like the BA rules too, they seem really fitting. Like, you should be worried about being on the other end of a Blood Angel assault, even as marines/chaos marines etc.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah me too. BA were my OG marines. Looking forward to painting my Indomitus box up with them once I get around to it.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Think the rulebook options are basically the standalone hardback core rulebook, the softback rulebook in the Command Edition starter set, or "Chapter Approved: Grand Tournament 2020 Mission Pack and Munitorum Field Manual" if you're just needing Matched Play rules as they're included with that.

Edit: I would check eBay btw, some resellers have split out the hardback rulebook from the Indomitus set and the softback rulebook from the Command Edition set and listed them at reasonable prices (here in the UK at least).

To be honest, for the first time ever I'm going to recommend something.

The 40k app has the rulebook for free.

The app isn't that good asides from that.

For marines? New Bladeguard multipart kit, captain with heavy bolt rifle, that's about it.

I like the BA rules too, they seem really fitting. Like, you should be worried about being on the other end of a Blood Angel assault, even as marines/chaos marines etc.

Heavy ints (hi deathwing) and landspeeder (hi ravenwing) along with those other deathwingish like releases.

And we're so getting a dark angel hellblaster unit.

Necrons are missing the crypteks and the new flayed ones i think at least.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are there any good sites for spare weapons and bits (official or generic stuff, I'm not picky)? I'm thinking about kitbashing some Electro-Priest Fulgurites from a Necromunda Cawdor gang and assorted Skitarii/Pteraxii/Sicarian bits, since I don't like the standard Electro-Priest and I could save a bit more money this way. The trouble is that Fulgurite staffs are hard to come by and bloody expensive from the second-hand market, so just some generic staff-like weapons would be ideal and I can tech them up if necessary.

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any good sites for spare weapons and bits (official or generic stuff, I'm not picky)? I'm thinking about kitbashing some Electro-Priest Fulgurites from a Necromunda Cawdor gang and assorted Skitarii/Pteraxii/Sicarian bits, since I don't like the standard Electro-Priest and I could save a bit more money this way. The trouble is that Fulgurite staffs are hard to come by and bloody expensive from the second-hand market, so just some generic staff-like weapons would be ideal and I can tech them up if necessary.

I've never used them but there's Bitzbox in the UK. Alternatively you could use some brass rod and then stick stuff onto that.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've never used them but there's Bitzbox in the UK. Alternatively you could use some brass rod and then stick stuff onto that.

I don't trust myself to be able to make a plain brass rod particularly interesting, though it would be the most cost-effective option. I'll have a dig through my bits box and see what I could stick to it.

Seems like all the suitable staves on Bitzbox are sold out, annoyingly enough. There do seem to be some decent generic polearms on Anvil Industry, though I might have to file off the hands to make some things work. I guess it's one of those things that I'm not going to be able to figure out without having everything on the assembly table in front of me. But if I can get 10 cool customised Fulgurites for a few quid more than 5 standard ones, it would be worth it.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Those Blood Angels snippets make it sound like a ridiculously close combat oriented army. Were they always like this?

Wadatah

Aug 8, 2018

Thanks for the tip! Went ahead and bought the Indomitus rules. Also got a pretty great deal on 20 Necron warriors. I've heard that big globs of Warriors are pretty effective now and those guys will get me to 1250 pretty easily.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the Necron Christmas bundle set sold out in about 3 minutes everywhere. Reviving flashbacks to Indomitus...
Wow, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, it was like 900pts of Necrons for 59% off. I managed to grab one of the Chaos Decimation Warband boxes which is less of a saving sadly, but their are some nice core models so I'm not too upset.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, it was like 900pts of Necrons for 59% off. I managed to grab one of the Chaos Decimation Warband boxes which is less of a saving sadly, but their are some nice core models so I'm not too upset.

At that many points I guess the Necron one was always going to be a next step for those who kept the Cron half of their Indomitus sets. The Christmas set is £100 discounted, meaning with my Indomitus half ~£47), a codex and another unit, I could have had a 2000 point Necron army for about £200!

Good thing I'm not in the market for a larger backlog as I would have been gutted missing out on that set today!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Do people run into a lot of recasters? How can you tell? Do you even say anything at all? I saw an Arvus Lighter on a site for $30 and am seriously tempted. I don't even think Forge World makes them anymore and they're going for almost $200 on the after market.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Do people run into a lot of recasters? How can you tell? Do you even say anything at all? I saw an Arvus Lighter on a site for $30 and am seriously tempted. I don't even think Forge World makes them anymore and they're going for almost $200 on the after market.
'How can you tell.'
If it's a fraction of the price of what it would be new, then it's almost 100% going to be a recast. Even with 2nd hand smaller stuff it's hard to tell from photos and you can end up only finding out when it arrives. Some of the places that have been closed down even cloned FW item labels to muddy the water. It's also not easy to tell from the weight unless it's plastic or metal replaced with resin.

In terms of whether I care if I see it:
Generally I look at it that, if the kits are stuff still on sale, it's piracy. It's making a mould then selling on weeks of someone else's design work for a fraction of the effort and zero creative work that was only made possible through an initial investment in a design studio and manufacturing by the rights holder. And if it's on sale for a fraction of the original cost? You're kidding yourself if you're thinking 'I can justify it as I just didn't know!'. Thing is, once its no longer on sale and is long OOP, and you've checked with the original manufacturer whether it's just a temporary stock issue or a permanent removal from sale (could be either in 2020), I'm not bothered by people doing so for some single OOP kit. The act of selling it is still piracy, but for the most part, from an ethical perspective and especially with single forge world models/parts, you're still a hobbyist pouring a large amount of time, money and effort into the hobby through the army as a whole. The effect of buying a recast of a single OOP item on the seller or the industry or legit resellers is going to be negligible. They aren't likely to be putting it back on sale even if people didn't buy a recast and only sent in an email asking for a re-release, as the comparative lack of interest in the kit vs hundreds of others is likely why it was withdrawn from sale in the first place.

Where I really draw the line is if someone is fielding a full army of recasts of popular stuff that's actually available, and refuses to allow any of that money to go to anyone actually in the industry, whether it's original creatives or legit sellers etc. At that point the buyer is just actively refusing to allow their hobby to help support the industry at all and just handing large amounts of money to pirates. I'd be unlikely to say anything unless I knew them well enough to be calling out their hypocrisy, but anyone fielding a whole army of pirated stuff in a local games store/club (at that point you can usually tell by the weight if it's resin versions of plastic kits), that is also a legit seller of legit product hasnt got a leg to stand on when that business disappears. If you enjoy the hobby and places to buy and play and meet other hobbyists, support it where you can. But a recast of a single long-OOP kit you really want? Hard to see the harm. I guess what people completely opposed to it would say is 'they still hold the rights, including the right to later re-release, this is still piracy, you should only write in and ask them to re-release it!' which is fair enough. I guess it does all still end up in the pocket of recasters, and funding them through a OOP purchase allows and encourages them to pirate stuff that's still on sale, which is why GW rightfully goes after them. But seeing such a purchase on the field (and assuming I could tell the difference which is unlikely with resin>resin) would bother me way less (in terms of harm to the hobby) than, for example, someone buying an entire army of minis entirely from recasters and then rocking up to a struggling FLGS that sells the same minis and being all smug about it (admittedly only something I've seen once).

TLDR: legally it's piracy either way, but personally, from an ethics perspective, I don't blame people going for the odd OOP kit they want. I do dislike people who prioritise pirated goods over legit stuff as it hurts the hobby.

Last edited:

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Received Blood Bowl Season 2 box this weekend. Put the miniatures together and had a blast playing today. Great lockdown game.

The orc and goblin models are great.

The human imperial nobility are disappointing. While they look fantastic, each model is made up of quite a few different parts. There are a lot of delicate bits. While playing bits of their more extravgent parts easily break off. The models have shields and feathers that have a tiny contact point for gluing - very weak bonds even with plastic glue.

For a game you where you are picking up miniatures, putting them on its side, etc - this was awful. I would rather have the miniatures having a more simple, but study design (with no easy to break parts), especially for a board game.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Received Blood Bowl Season 2 box this weekend. Put the miniatures together and had a blast playing today. Great lockdown game.

The orc and goblin models are great.

The human imperial nobility are disappointing. While they look fantastic, each model is made up of quite a few different parts. There are a lot of delicate bits. While playing bits of their more extravgent parts easily break off. The models have shields and feathers that have a tiny contact point for gluing - very weak bonds even with plastic glue.

For a game you where you are picking up miniatures, putting them on its side, etc - this was awful. I would rather have the miniatures having a more simple, but study design (with no easy to break parts), especially for a board game.
That's a really good point for games like Blood Bowl where minis are 'downed'.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

I picked up one from Amazon the other day. Only $120! I also bought the latest White Dwarf, which I haven't bought in years because it had the card for the Blood Bowl squirrel star player and some great new Necromunda rules. I'm super impressed with the presentation of Blood Bowl. I put a bunch of teams on my Xmas list!

Edit: The paper quality of the White Dwarf was garbage. It was not even standard magazine stock, more like newsprint. It is almost $10, so I was disappointed to see the huge drop in quality. How long has it been like this?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Blood Bowl is such an ace game. I just remember leagues over the summer at my local games club as a teenager being really exciting, we built a stadium and all crowded around to watch the final, gave it a real sense of scale.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
It was really easy to pick up the rules. Played with my girlfriend and we both hadn't played before. I had read the rule book a few times. First half we played with only the goblins having access to dodge (and no other models having any skills). By half time we were familiar enough with the rules to add in all the extra bits (other skills, kick off table etc).

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
WH40k reading update!

Chewed through both of the Watchers of the Throne novels (The Emperor's Legion and The Regent's Shadow) in quick succession. Fun reads, both of them, and pretty quick. I feel like in both of them, the third perspective (the Chancellor of the Imperial Senate, though the role changes hands between books) was a little underbaked - most of what I found interesting in the second was how that character had a very different perspective on her relationship with the first than he did in his segments in the first book. In theory, a more political maneuvering focused perspective on events is very cool, but in both cases they're just hugely outmatched by the system in front of them and don't really accomplish much. There's some narrative value to that, I suppose, but it doesn't make for a very satisfying read. They do still offer a very different perspective on events to almost all other 40k characters, though, who tend to be either helpless civilians or some flavor of physical/psychic badass, so I'm definitely still glad they were included.

Of the other two perspectives, I found myself really enjoying Aleya (the Sister of Silence)'s view on things. She's cynical and not afraid to mouth off (so to speak), which is a rare attribute in 40k characters, outside of Cain. There was one disconcerting moment with her where she just sorta... mind-blasts a member of the Palace waitstaff for no good reason? Like, sure, it's 40k, almost nobody here is a good person, but that's no cause to be cruel to the waiter (so to speak). I really like her, otherwise, but it's a hard thing for me to move past for some reason. Valerian (the Custode) was decent as well, but honestly it was pretty clear that he was mostly there for some exposition on the Custodians and to facilitate the bolter guardian spear porn.

Still, despite my issues, they're both very good books by 40k standards. Solid prose, decent plotting and character writing, and on net a lot of fun commentary about the Imperium and the setting, if that's your thing. Gotta embrace the unreliable narrator for some of it (the first Chancellor going "actually, the High Lords really are the best people to be leading the Imperium and we should be glad they're here, and also it's good that we get massive privileges even while so many starve" comes to mind), but it's still fun getting stuff like Valerian musing on how things wouldn't be going half as badly if the High Lords put a tenth of the money they spend on cathedrals into building and filling granaries. Very big picture thinking from a golden banana.

After that, read some Siege of Terra stuff. I fell off the Horus Heresy a WAYS back, so some of the events being referenced are lost on me, but they mostly do an okay job of filling in the gaps through context. Got through Solar War and The Lost and the Damned quite quickly. Found the writing much better in the first than the second, but both have a lot to recommend them. Solar War is mostly a 40k naval combat thing, and while John French is not David Weber (or whoever your favorite space opera combat guy is, if you're not as fond as I am of ships firing missile counts that have to be expressed in power notation), there's still some cool scenes and fun twists. The way the novel ends makes it all feel kinda pointless, but I suppose that having the traitors keep the upper hand throughout the preliminaries was to be expected. Still don't like Abaddon much, though.

The Lost and the Damned takes a hit on the prose front, but does move to ground combat, which Guy Haley is pretty good at. Takes a little while to get rolling, but once it does it goes by very quickly. I liked Katsuhiro a lot here. Unlike Solar War, the Primarchs were a big focus here, so we got some cool stuff with the Khan, Sanguinius being mopey, Dorn being Dornish, and Malcador being weirdly casual with all of them. I loved the stuff with the Night Lords fighting the Blood Angels for control of the wall and Kharn trying to contain Angron (and himself).

Currently kinda stuck on The First Wall, which I am just not enjoying much. A lot of 40k combat has this problem where only one side is allowed to be good at their jobs at a time - it's what makes most bolter porn so dreadfully predictable. Halfway in, and Gav Thorpe is not doing a good job of preventing this issue from rearing its head. We get a whole chapter of the Imperial Fists effortlessly dismantling a traitor advance, and then a slew of chapters from the traitor's perspective where the Fists seem completely incapable of mustering a response to their advance, then back to the Fists crushing heretics, then back to the heretics crushing Imperials... nobody hits significant resistance, somehow. The plotlines are getting real muddy, too. Mostly at this point I just wanna push through it to get to Saturnine, which I've heard really good things about.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
. Mostly at this point I just wanna push through it to get to Saturnine, which I've heard really good things about.
Agree with you on all of the above, I do like the books set on Terra but yes, the politics side of it is a bit undercooked for how it's presented as a third viewpoint, and how ineffective even the highest-ranking civil servants beneath the High Lords are despite a lifetime of manoeuvring in the role.

Saturnine got me excited for the Siege all over again. It's meticulously plotted, with arcs that play out well and in contrast to each other, and it's got that Abnett knack for characterisation of the big and small players. Something essential when there's a couple dozen named superhumans running around, in that he's able to drill down into the difference between all of them when combining and recombining who is in conflict with each other in each scene, either in person or on a strategic level. It's the best one so far by a long way, while I enjoyed The Lost and the Damned I found The Solar War and the First Wall to be a real slog.

Currently just starting the Lion's Primarch book. Been looking forward to this, I love all the weird orders and the wheels-within-structure and lore of the pre-heresy Dark Angels.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with you on all of the above, I do like the books set on Terra but yes, the politics side of it is a bit undercooked for how it's presented as a third viewpoint, and how ineffective even the highest-ranking civil servants beneath the High Lords are despite a lifetime of manoeuvring in the role.
Yeah, this was sorta my issue. At the end of the day, nothing either character does proactively amounts to much. Everybody they're dealing with is operating on their own agenda, has at least as much information as they do, and has much more actual power. Sometimes they get manipulated into being useful, but other than that the only thing I can think of is maaaaaybe convincing Valoris that it'd be worth taking his seat in the High Lords? But it's kind of implied he was going to do that anyway.

And yeah, what you said matches up with what I've heard before and it's why I'm really excited for Saturnine. If I had faith that the rest of this book didn't matter I'd honestly consider just skipping the rest of The First Wall. It really is a big step down.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been on a real kick of trading out my old unfinished projects to get reinforcements for my latest project, which seems to be one that I can stick to.

So I've got a bunch of Orks, Admech, firstborn, GSC etc going out the door tomorrow, then a week or so of beautiful Flesh Tearer recruits winging their way to me.

Until all that arrives, I've got some Outriders I'm just finishing up, then some Stormcast Eternal Paladins to turn into Primaris-sized Sanguinary Guard.

Been a while since I've been excited about hobbying, so it's nice to have something like this to work on!