• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone interested in the Indomitus Necrons NoS? I could use some more Tyranids or money for more Tyranids. Really hoping they release some more bugs soon rather than more space marines.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
ya, the community as a whole even marine fanboys are not happy with it. just way to many marines now, just way to many for no reason.

other factions need attention

Yes and no, tbh. Like you will have posters, youtubers, complain then completely hype every unit like the call of duty protest steam group back in the day.

I do think it's very hard for alot of marine players to keep up with the crazy pace especially with the whiplash balancing that they do, but you will have also players like no offense yourself who complain about some chapters like the wolves losing their identites etc, or complain about lack of omnis, terminators etc.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I already tried to push it out of my mind. I'm currently reading about the Lost Legions. Now THIS is some good stuff. I am loving the secrecy and all the theories.
Oooh, yeah, that's some good stuff. We've actually gotten a little bit of lore about them - just snippets, fragments from the other Primarchs. The mechanics of how the 2nd and 11th were removed from the minds of the others is fascinating. It's not a mindwipe, more of a compulsion to not think about them, and to get distracted when they try to remember the details.

I have this pet theory that they turned against the Imperium to protect some kind of Xenos civ, or Xenos-aligned civ. Only thing I can think of that would merit the wholesale erasure. Emps could flex on a lot of things, but his commitment to the human supremacist agenda seems ironclad.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, yeah, that's some good stuff. We've actually gotten a little bit of lore about them - just snippets, fragments from the other Primarchs. The mechanics of how the 2nd and 11th were removed from the minds of the others is fascinating. It's not a mindwipe, more of a compulsion to not think about them, and to get distracted when they try to remember the details.

I have this pet theory that they turned against the Imperium to protect some kind of Xenos civ, or Xenos-aligned civ. Only thing I can think of that would merit the wholesale erasure. Emps could flex on a lot of things, but his commitment to the human supremacist agenda seems ironclad.

I def think think they can do a series about the Rangdan xenocide, and have even more fun hinting there.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah I'm going through all the quotes from the various Primarchs. They won't even mention them to each other in private. And somehow the imperium even removed their legion insignia from literally everywhere. They even removed or damaged all the statues of the 2 Primarchs.

My mind is racing thinking of all the possibilities of what they could have done to warrant this level of erasure. They have been all but erased from existence.

They 2 lost legions for my is top lore but my favorite is that the Tyranids are running away from something.

That little bit just makes my mind run. Lol

One thing I like about the lost is that there is proof they existed like the Emperore left just enough to let everyone know what he can do.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They 2 lost legions for my is top lore but my favorite is that the Tyranids are running away from something.

One thing I like about the lost is that there is proof they existed like the Emperore left just enough to let everyone know what he can do.
The Tyranids are RUNNING from something??? 😮

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I def think think they can do a series about the Rangdan xenocide.
I doubt they'll ever get into details on the two of them - the meta reason for the lost legions to be lost (namely, so you can invent your own Primarch for Your Guys to be descended from) probably means that they'll never really fill out that time period. Though they could disconnect the Lost Legions from the Rangdan Xenocide and just do a 30k Dark Angels series there.

The Tyranids are RUNNING from something??? 😮
I think they either outright retconned that or at least rendered it speculation, along with the "actually each of the Hive Fleets are themselves just tiny splinters of the true fleet" lore because anything that big would have a mass on par with the galaxy itself and honestly that puts the setting on a very firm timer and I don't think they want to do that, lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes and no, tbh. Like you will have posters, youtubers, complain then completely hype every unit like the call of duty protest steam group back in the day.

I do think it's very hard for alot of marine players to keep up with the crazy pace especially with the whiplash balancing that they do, but you will have also players like no offense yourself who complain about some chapters like the wolves losing their identites etc, or complain about lack of omnis, terminators etc.
losing the identity was going to happen. Wolves were spoiled in 7th, as a result we have a lot to lose, most of what we got in 7th for primaris stuff down the road.

Nothing changes it, ya it sucks but oh well.

I'm also of the mindset, maybe chapters like wolves should've just gotten barebones PDFs for 3+ years Instead of a book. (Just have gw be upfront and not hype it).

At the end of the day I want fun, well balanced, fluffy rules. But that doesn't mean models.

Other factors need. Need the model attention.
They can plop out a wolf dex without any figures, and frankly I'd rather have them kill off some character's. Kill off canis, kill off the finecast kits or "lose them in the warp".

Nids need models, Orks need new models,, xenos , guard need to models

I doubt they'll ever get into details on the two of them - the meta reason for the lost legions to be lost (namely, so you can invent your own Primarch for Your Guys to be descended from) probably means that they'll never really fill out that time period. Though they could disconnect the Lost Legions from the Rangdan Xenocide and just do a 30k Dark Angels series there.

I think they either outright retconned that or at least rendered it speculation, along with the "actually each of the Hive Fleets are themselves just tiny splinters of the true fleet" lore because anything that big would have a mass on par with the galaxy itself and honestly that puts the setting on a very firm timer and I don't think they want to do that, lol.
Oh sure is just a narrative seed but if they pull it off...

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm a bit curious how the Combat Patrol sets are going to be priced. If the idea is to have a possible 500pts per box, that doesn't guarantee equal monetary value. I can imagine a IG Combat Patrol box having more value than a CSM box, for example. But if they're also intended to eventually replace the Start Collecting boxes, then selling them for significantly different prices is going to discourage new players from picking up the more expensive factions.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit curious how the Combat Patrol sets are going to be priced. If the idea is to have a possible 500pts per box, that doesn't guarantee equal monetary value. I can imagine a IG Combat Patrol box having more value than a CSM box, for example. But if they're also intended to eventually replace the Start Collecting boxes, then selling them for significantly different prices is going to discourage new players from picking up the more expensive factions.

Current ones are £55-60 right? I would be surprised if these new ones didn't wipe out almost all savings and came in at £80+

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lots of people are re-selling individual Blackstone Fortress characters, shame the one I actually want (Technoarchaeologist Daedalosus) historically sells for at least twice as much as all the others. Are the rest just rubbish in the main 40K game?

Like, I could buy the whole Escalation expansion for twice the cost of that particular model.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of people are re-selling individual Blackstone Fortress characters, shame the one I actually want (Technoarchaeologist Daedalosus) historically sells for at least twice as much as all the others. Are the rest just rubbish in the main 40K game?

Daedalosus is pretty great in 40k, that might have inflated his price a bit. His bonus to hit really ups the average damage of admech gunlines and he's not that much more expensive then a regular Enginseer.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Daedalosus is pretty great in 40k, that might have inflated his price a bit. His bonus to hit really ups the average damage of admech gunlines and he's not that much more expensive then a regular Enginseer.

Oh I know he's good, that's exactly why I'm trying to get my hands on him. I just thought the other characters might also be up to scratch in their respective armies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I read the Khan Wiki during breakfast. Yeah he might be my new Favorite Primarch. I really really REALLY like Sanguinus and his design, but Khan far and away has the best personality and character building out of the Primarchs I have read about. I love every bit of his lore.

BUT WHY DID HE CHARGE INTO THE WEBWAY LIKE A DUMBASS???????

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Probably so he can just ride his bike forever instead of dealing the the bullshit that comes with being a Primarch.
I wouldn't blame him to be honest.

He seems like the one that was forced in the most corners in his time as a Primarch. Everytime I turned a corner in his story it seemed there was a new moral quandary or some other slight against him or his legion.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I read the Khan Wiki during breakfast. Yeah he might be my new Favorite Primarch. I really really REALLY like Sanguinus and his design, but Khan far and away has the best personality and character building out of the Primarchs I have read about. I love every bit of his lore.

BUT WHY DID HE CHARGE INTO THE WEBWAY LIKE A DUMBASS???????

This warms my heart.

Also, reading your hatred for Fulgrim in a previous post, I'll leave this excerpt from Scars with a couple wonderful roasts for your enjoyment.

Sanguinius looked at the Khan thoughtfully.

'I thought you, of all of us, would feel joy for Horus.'

The Khan shrugged. 'He is the best of us; I begrudge him nothing, and I have told him so. But it should never have happened.'

`So should it have been you?' asked Fulgrim acerbically. Mortarion snorted again, but Sanguinius said nothing.

`I wouldn't have taken it,' said the Khan.

`Of course you would have,' said Fulgrim. The Khan shook his head.

'I have no use for another title. My people give me enough.'

Sanguinius smiled. 'My brother, I think you are the most inscrutable of us all. I know what Rogal wants, and I know what Roboute wants, but even after so long I have no idea what you want.'

`He wants to be left alone,' said Fulgrim. To shoot off into the stars and hunt down xenos on those delightful jetbikes. They're devilishly fast. I heard from a contact on Mars, Jaghatai, that you do strange things to your ships.'

The Khan shot him a heavy-lidded stare. 'I heard you do strange things to your warriors.'

Fulgrim's slender face briefly flared with anger, but Sanguinius laughed.

`I wonder which one of you would win in a duel,' the Angel mused. 'I would like to see that. You both handle a blade like gods.'

'Name the place, brother,' Fulgrim said to the Khan. `I'd even travel to Chogoris, if you built a palace to keep the dust from my armour.'

The Khan felt the insult. It stabbed at him, deeply, but his expression never changed. They could never know, none of them, how much their closed fraternity rankled him.

`You would lose,' said the Khan. Fulgrim grinned, but there was something fragile in it.

`Oh?'

`You would lose because you would treat it like a game, like you treat everything, and I would not. You would lose because you know nothing of me, and I know everything of you because you shout it from the turrets of your battle cruisers. My prowess remains unknown. You have some reputation as a swordsman, brother, but I make no boast when I tell you I would leave you choking on it.'

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Fulgrim never really made much sense to be to be honest. His tale of corruption just doesn't work at all, and specifically the heel turn where he goes from realising how awful he has become to then suddenly being strong enough to psychically subdue a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh and full on embrace evil to a moustache twirling level. He's a bit of an incoherent character.

Fulgrim never really made much sense to be to be honest. His tale of corruption just doesn't work at all, and specifically the heel turn where he goes from realising how awful he has become to then suddenly being strong enough to psychically subdue a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh and full on embrace evil to a moustache twirling level. He's a bit of an incoherent character.
Yup this is a problem with the way GW turned a lot of them.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I've been reading some old Regimental Standard posts and I am chortling aloud.

Watch Out, Watch Out, There's a Face-eater About

regstd-jan15-factfile-139jde.jpg

Allegedly named, in a stunning coincidence, after Captain Henry Face-eater (Deceased), original discoverer of these vile beasts (we think it was him – the body was hard to identify on account of it not having a face). This is an interesting factoid that will almost certainly be of use in the coming programme of extermination .

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Jaghatai is who the authors pull out when they need a more human flavor of bad ass. Sanguinius is the perfect son (with the hidden dark side), Rogal and Roboute and the Lion are the stoic superwarriors. Vulkan is the best but his actual story is weird because of the Perpetual stuff and some very shaky writing. Jaghatai just gets to be relentlessly cool, all of the time. He's emotional but not fragile, caring but not weak. And as evidenced above, he has some amazing one liners.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Jaghatai is who the authors pull out when they need a more human flavor of bad ass. Sanguinius is the perfect son (with the hidden dark side), Rogal and Roboute and the Lion are the stoic superwarriors. Vulkan is the best but his actual story is weird because of the Perpetual stuff and some very shaky writing. Jaghatai just gets to be relentlessly cool, all of the time. He's emotional but not fragile, caring but not weak. And as evidenced above, he has some amazing one liners.
Yeah, he's been the standout Primarch of the Heresy to me, and completely unexpected. Which is quite appropriate, I guess! Agree entirely- of all of them he's seemed one that's most at home with himself, not torn between conflicting principles, conditions and loyalties etc. Just emotionally mature where several of the others stop at 'I'm a super general artificial genescience/magic space marine that can lead hundreds of battles simultaneously but I can't see what's right under my nose'. The sheer hubris of the traitors and 'epic warrior guy' of the loyalists is something that could have been a lot more varied.

There's some good White Scars moments in Saturnine, glad to see Dan Abnett carrying forward stuff that Chris Wraight had set up.

I find Roboute's ability for diplomacy and to constantly consider compromise (at least when faced with having to pull together various batshit insane factions that are nominally 'allied') perhaps separates him from Dorn and particularly the Lion though. The latter's idea of compromise is pretty much 'We can do it my way and I'll brood about it later, or we can do it my way and I'll cut down anyone that objects, but the middle ground is we're doing it my way (and no I'm not telling you why because reasons)' :D

I really like the Lion but he's so inconsistently written.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's been the standout Primarch of the Heresy to me, and completely unexpected. Which is quite appropriate, I guess! Agree entirely- of all of them he's seemed one that's most at home with himself, not torn between conflicting principles, conditions and loyalties etc. Just emotionally mature where several of the others stop at 'I'm a super general artificial genescience/magic space marine that can lead hundreds of battles simultaneously but I can't see what's right under my nose'.

There's some good White Scars moments in Saturnine, glad to see Dan Abnett carrying forward stuff that Chris Wraight had set up.

I find Roboute's ability for diplomacy and to constantly consider compromise (at least when faced with having to pull together various batshit insane factions that are nominally 'allied') perhaps separates him from Dorn and particularly the Lion though. The latter's idea of compromise is pretty much 'We can do it my way and I'll brood about it later, or we can do it my way and I'll cut down anyone that objects, but the middle ground is we're doing it my way (and no I'm not telling you why because reasons)' :D

I really like the Lion but he's so inconsistently written.
I feel like we only really get that side of Guilliman post-resurrection, where he's forced to deal with people he can't just shift, but true, he is more of a diplomat than the others. Even back then.

Dorn gets some shine in the Siege, apparently (I know you've read that), but I just wrapped Spears of the Emperor and decided to stop off at Watchers of the Throne before going to more Space Marines. I'm loving the Sister of Silence's perspective, she's much rougher around the edges than I was expecting. Very fun character.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel like we only really get that side of Guilliman post-resurrection, where he's forced to deal with people he can't just shift, but true, he is more of a diplomat than the others. Even back then.

Dorn gets some shine in the Siege, apparently (I know you've read that), but I just wrapped Spears of the Emperor and decided to stop off at Watchers of the Throne before going to more Space Marines.
Yeah, fair point on Guilliman. They've pushed that a lot recently, as you say he's had half a dozen or so extra books since 8th that he's appeared in to have him explaining handling the nightmare of imperial bureaucracy to mortals.

Watchers of the throne is very good. Love the characters, the sequel is very good too. Chris Wraight's Terra books are great, he's really come into his own the last few years, I've got The Hollow Mountain lined up to read next.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
www.audible.com

The Reverie

Check out this great listen on Audible.com. A Warhammer Horror novel Three travellers are drawn to the Reverie, the wound in the world of the Angels Resplendent. Knight, poet, scholar, each will face their shadows amidst a deeper darkness.... Listen to it because: Peter Fehervari's novels al...

New Peter Fehervari audiobook on Halloween! Excited for a horror space marine book by such a talented guy!

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bladeguard Veterans are such a pain in the ass to paint, but so damn rewarding at the same time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
One more point on the Siege books- one thing I really love is commentary by some of the senior traitor marine characters on how they really don't like the reliance on the warp, what it's turning them into, the shift from already murderous brutality to insane eldritch horror and the realisation of what's behind the veil. They are committed to the cause but not necessarily the method. That's something I find really interesting as a friend of mine has a Black Legion army that is specifically that mindset- warp-fuckery is something they use begrudgingly as a tool, it can't be allowed to get in the way of what his army is actually fighting for, as otherwise that would mean accepting they are all just hopeless damned pawns and have been for millennia.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Bladeguard Veterans are such a pain in the ass to paint, but so damn rewarding at the same time.

On that note, what have been the most enjoyable models to paint, for you guys? And what have been the worst?
I want to make an Admech army but have heard things about them being a bit of a hassle to paint, with a lot of subassembling.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
On that note, what have been the most enjoyable models to paint, for you guys? And what have been the worst?
I want to make an Admech army but have heard things about them being a bit of a hassle to paint, with a lot of subassembling.
From the few models I've painted (only ultramarines), I've liked the eradicators because of the nice "burned metal" effect I made on their weapons and the bladeguard veterans (which I haven't completed yet).

I'm praying for a quick release of the 9th edition Orks codex so that I can buy some Orks, I think I'll enjoy painting them a lot.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on why you are painting.
I love painting Orks, so many details, so much character. But if I was in a rush to finish an army I would hate painting them for the same reasons.
Space Marines are cool but get old real fast because they are so similar.
Necrons are also kinda samey but I'm painting mine in Sautekh colors (silver) and it goes really fast.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For all their fiddly details, Admech are really fun to paint. The problem is the Skitarii, since they take longer to paint carefully than other armies' basic infantry, and you'll probably want a few squads of 10 which adds up to a lot of time painting the same kind of models.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like the Dark Angels because it's effectively three colour schemes in one, and I've really enjoyed starting to put a force together over the summer. Craftworld Eldar has always been one of my favourites to paint too, the bright colours were what attracted me to 40K in 2nd edition. I'll likely go back to them if the range is ever returned to and refreshed. Outside of the wraith list it just doesn't feel particularly cohesive to me at the moment, given that it's a mishmash of different kits made over nearly a 30 year period.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who have used it, how's that new Corax White base paint? Been kinda sick of taking ages painting my Black Templars shoulder pads and I really need a nice white paint with good coverage that doesn't take a million ultra thin coats. If you have suggestions from other brands is cool too.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
This is my go-to whenever I have to brush on white. Now, it is an off-white, but clearly reads as white next to darker colours. Very good coverage.

vallejo-model-air-71119-ral9002-white-grey-grauweiss.jpg

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
This is my go-to whenever I have to brush on white. Now, it is an off-white, but clearly reads as white next to darker colours. Very good coverage.

vallejo-model-air-71119-ral9002-white-grey-grauweiss.jpg
Thanks, I might check it out. Is there a good place to buy Vallejo paints online? cuz I've never found it and it's honestly the only reason I haven't tried them yet.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Finished The Infinite and the Divine last night. It's excellent. I need more Necron books, especially them against other Xenos races (would love Tau vs Necron). TIatD and Severed have both been very good.

I LOL'd when I found out why an Exterminatus happens.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For those who are good with paint comparison, what are good Vallejo alternatives for Averland Sunset and Yriel Yellow? I'm torn between Model Golden Yellow and Model Yellow Ochre for the former. Don't know if either have particularly good coverage compared to other yellow acrylics.