• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the Nightbringer is absolutely bonkers. 6 S14 AP-4 D6 damage attacks that ignore invulnerable saves and feel no pains... he is death incarnate, which is appropriate I suppose

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, Marines got hit with the ol' nerf bat. I don't think anybody was expecting it to work out like that.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think a lot of their mathematically strongest and most commonly seen Primaris units got hit one way or another (particularly Aggressors and captains, and tanks that used to benefit from the latter's auras) and were either toned down or had synergies removed. Meanwhile other players who had a bit of this and that will see lots of small buffs to their previously less-often-see favourites instead. Firstborn gaining a wound for one. That's why the codex review videos are all so long, the changes are fairly comprehensive.

For example, my Redemptor plasma dread lost bolter discipline, but gained a massive incoming damage reduction, increased power fist damage, increased Macro Plasma damage, and lost the -1 to hit for a rocket pod hitting ground targets. On top of the general 9th rules changes, so loss of the -1 to hit for a walker moving and firing, and gaining ability to fire into combat. On top of the new DA chapter tactics that, if it hasn't moved, it gains +1 to hit even in melee if charged etc. That's a huge amount of small buffs in a short period of time.

I really won't miss the marine 'officers are for buffing tank squadrons and each other' castles, and like the way a lot more stuff seems viable now- it'll make for more interesting marine lists and battles.

One thing I think will get FAQ'd pretty quickly- the chief apothecary can resurrect an 8-wound Invader ATV each turn because of the 'biker' keyword. I also think Eradicators make a lot of the anti-tank fire options redundant with how well they synergise with all other rules as core, and think they'll get a points hike fairly quickly. As will heavy Intercessors. Seeing as they both have upcoming kits that aren't out yet, I imagine they'll leave it a while, but I can see those two in particular becoming mainstay choices now.

My favourite part of the codex is the layout- it seems so much easier to just write a damn points-based list with pen and paper now rather than flicking between data sheet entries, wargear and weapon lists. The 8th edition codices were terrible for that.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Some stuff in the Marine codex got brought back into line, but ultimately Eradicators still seem crazily overpowered for their damage output, and you can take quite a few. If they get a FAQ nerfbat then I think it's generally quite good in addressing the marine issues that the end of 8th introduced.

Heavy Intercessors are going to be hard to shift, but to be honest their damage output is fairly limited for their points.

Last edited:

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Had my 4th game of 9th, all games now I have lost by turn two. I have played a grand total of five meaningful turns of 40k in those four games.

This time I was against Astra Militarum with Chaos Space Marines, lost the first turn and lost over 1000 points out of 1750 before I got to my second move phase. I have to say I'm extremely disappointed by the rules, this new normal shouldn't even be possible in a competent ruleset.

And I know exactly what's wrong too: I shouldn't have used the miniatures I have bought and painted, because they are useless. I should buy the playable stuff instead.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Had my 4th game of 9th, all games now I have lost by turn two. I have played a grand total of five meaningful turns of 40k in those four games.

This time I was against Astra Militarum with Chaos Space Marines, lost the first turn and lost over 1000 points out of 1750 before I got to my second move phase. I have to say I'm extremely disappointed by the rules, this new normal shouldn't even be possible in a competent ruleset.

And I know exactly what's wrong too: I shouldn't have used the miniatures I have bought and painted, because they are useless. I should buy the playable stuff instead.
I think we'd all need details about point totals and score and secondaries, mission, and lists before any actually valid replies could be made to you.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I think we'd all need details about point totals and score and secondaries, mission, and lists before any actually valid replies could be made to you.

I'm just venting, no need for big analysis. I took regular infantry instead of max Daemon Engines and paid the price. Hope springs eternal but when it comes to 40k it really shouldn't. Always take the optimised list or you'll be tabled.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm just venting, no need for big analysis. I took regular infantry instead of max Daemon Engines and paid the price. Hope springs eternal but when it comes to 40k it really shouldn't. Always take the optimised list or you'll be tabled.
Where are you playing?

I've never taken optimised lists in 40k, and rarely get tabled, even at tourneys. Sometimes, depending on where you are playing, they can be really light on terrain though, which really favours Guard as they need multiple units pointing at stuff to mitigate large tanks with low ballistic skill. In 9th ruins block line of sight, So maybe it's an issue with table setup if you're losing half your army before your turn 2.

I always prefer to play with friends as there's always opportunity to learn your opponent as well as their force too. Like, where I play friends that are in constant tourney prep mode, I play as hard as I can (given the limits of my model collection being 'minis I like, max. one of each type') as that's what they expect (and I usually lose, and learn a lot). Where I play more narrative-focused friends that, like me, like to write scenarios, are more rpg-based and tend to paint one of every kit they like and don't care about the efficiency of netlist mathhammer, I do the same. If either change approach I change to match them, or give them a heads up that I want to bring a tourney-level army next time.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Some stuff in the Marine codex got brought back into line, but ultimately Eradicators still seem crazily overpowered for their damage output, and you can take quite a few. If they get a FAQ nerfbat then I think it's generally quite good in addressing the marine issues that the end of 8th introduced.

Heavy Intercessors are going to be hard to shift, but to be honest their damage output is fairly limited for their points.
Yeah fair points.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

What's the terrain like in your games?

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Where are you playing?

I've never taken optimised lists in 40k, and rarely get tabled, even at tourneys. Sometimes, depending on where you are playing, they can be really light on terrain though, which really favours Guard as they need multiple units pointing at stuff to mitigate large tanks with low ballistic skill. In 9th ruins block line of sight, So maybe it's an issue with table setup if you're losing half your army before your turn 2.

I always prefer to play with friends as there's always opportunity to learn your opponent as well as their force too. Like, where I play friends that are in constant tourney prep mode, I play as hard as I can as that's what they expect (and I usually lose, and learn a lot). Where I play more narrative-focused friends that, like me, tend to paint one of every kit they like and worry about mathhammer afterwards, I do the same, and where they change approach I change to match them, or give them a heads up that I want to bring a tourney-level army next time.

At a friends house. He's an experienced tournament player and was quite sure the armies and terrain were fairly matched, but no. Everything was behind los blockign or obscuring. It's just how 40k is nowadays. We concluded that for games to go beyond the 2nd turn with shooty armies there needs to be no firing lanes available turn 1, period. Which is testament to how broken the amount of firepower is.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
At a friends house. He's an experienced tournament player and was quite sure the armies and terrain were fairly matched, but no. Everything was behind los blockign or obscuring. It's just how 40k is nowadays. We concluded that for games to go beyond the 2nd turn with shooty armies there needs to be no firing lanes available turn 1, period. Which is testament to how broken the amount of firepower is.
What was his army like? Lots of armour buffed by tank commanders?

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
What was his army like? Lots of armour buffed by tank commanders?

4 Leman Russes and a Manticore ace, I think there was 3 tank commanders. Then a pile of guardsmen and a couple of Chimeras with vanilla Ogryns. The Manticore alone deleted 200 points per volley, no way to defend against it until deep strike arrives. Ironically it hit better because I was hiding behind a huge los blocking warehouse you couldn't enter. Had it been just obscuring it would've been at -1 to hit.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
4 Leman Russes and a Manticore, I think there was 3 tank commanders.
Yeah that seems pretty optimised as far as guard goes. If you're up against an experienced tourney player with a min-maxed list, it's always going to be an uphill struggle with a more friendly infantry list with less turn 1 force projection. For infantry armies, I recommend looking at the scenarios that need a lot more movement, rather than whatever the standard tourney 'pitched battle' ones are. That was always something that annoyed me in 40K tourneys, that in the rush to be 'fair ', they often end up picking the scenarios that favour just hitting as hard as you can, as early as you can. Same went for WFB too, where finding a scenario other then the big-standard 'pitched battle' being played was a rare thing here.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
4 Leman Russes and a Manticore ace, I think there was 3 tank commanders. Then a pile of guardsmen and a couple of Chimeras with vanilla Ogryns. The Manticore alone deleted 200 points per volley, no way to defend against it until deep strike arrives. Ironically it hit better because I was hiding behind a huge los blocking warehouse you couldn't enter. Had it been just obscuring it would've been at -1 to hit.
One of my buds is a very experienced Guard player and he's been running a similar list. You got smashed by a near fully optimized tournament list. The only thing it sounds like it's missing is Sentinels (yes, scout sentinels) to make it even better. If you went in with a joke or 40k-and-beer list and he was playing as if it was a tournamentt, yeah....

It's related to what I've seen elsewhere. A lot of the Guard lists when 9th came out were terrible, but people are catching on fast to the Manticore ace behind Obscuring + surging forward with Sentinels / Chimeras / Guardsmen to grab points. You'll never deep strike and get at the Manticore, either, because Guard has SO MANY bodies. It basically deletes one unit a turn until it's out of ammo.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Our next game is my Eldar against the new Marines next weekend. It'll be some work putting together some Vypers but I think a full skimmer list will do well. Well maybe some War Walkers too. Basically as many mobile Starcannons as I can manage, plus a unit of sword & board Wraithblades.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Our next game is my Eldar against the new Marines next weekend. It'll be some work putting together some Vypers but I think a full skimmer list will do well. Well maybe some War Walkers too. Basically as many mobile Starcannons as I can manage, plus a unit of sword & board Wraithblades.
Good luck, let us know how it goes :-) Do you know what flavour of marines they are?

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
This is the sort of Aeldari list that used to work for me in 8th. The new thing is Vypers for super fast firepower and points capping. I'm deathly afraid of a Whirwind Scorpius though.

Asurmen is there just because he seems cool and potentially good for taking objectives. Maybe I'd be better off with a sniper Autarch and extra Reapers though?

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [92 PL, 12CP, 1,750pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Craftworld Attribute
. *Custom Craftworld*: Expert Crafters, Students of Vaul

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Asurmen [8 PL, 160pts]

Farseer [6 PL, 115pts]: 0. Smite, 1. Guide, 2. Doom, 6: Seer of the Shifting Vector, Shuriken Pistol, Warlord, Witchblade
. The Phoenix Gem

Spiritseer [3 PL, 60pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [3 PL, 70pts]
. 4x Dire Avenger: 4x Avenger Shuriken Catapult, 4x Plasma Grenades
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults
. . Exarch Power: Shredding Fire

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [10 PL, 200pts]: Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 5x Wraithblade

+ Fast Attack +

Vypers [9 PL, 195pts]
. Vyper: Shuriken Cannon, Starcannon

Windriders [4 PL, 60pts]
. 3x Windrider - Twin Shuriken Catapults: 3x Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [9 PL, 140pts]
. 3x Dark Reaper: 3x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Reaper Launcher
. . Exarch Power: Rapid Shot

Falcon [8 PL, 135pts]: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Night Spinner [8 PL, 145pts]: Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 160pts]: Twin Shuriken Catapult, Twin Starcannon

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 170pts]: Twin Bright Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, eradicators are going to be even dumber.

Tbh, people say gworkshop is deliberately making new units good, but I honestly think they're just kinda not good at game balance and it's sometimes just random on the wheel of balance if you're good or not.

Some of the big winners this codex are vanguard vets (calling the phobos wave vanguard after having vanguard vets was dumb) and dreads in general. And tbh, I honestly don't see a reason to get a gladiator tank. It's just like the repulsor executioner was dead in the water until codex 2.0 way overcorrected for it (and some of it was castling that made it good).

The randomness of space marines buffs and nerfs is off-putting. Grav devastators, Aggressors, scout/speeder storms (although scouts are such god ugly models that i'm glad this change is happening), etc.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Dark Angel inner circle infantry (Deathwing terminators, Deathwing knights) are strong now too.

INNER CIRCLE
Those with true knowledge of the Unforgiven's history and quest for absolution are utterly intractable warriors who are implacable in their Chapter's secret hunt for the Fallen.
If this unit has the Grim Resolve Chapter Tactic, or it has the Inheritors of the Primarch Successor tactic and it is using the Chapter Tactic of the Dark Angels, then:
• Each time a Morale test is taken for this unit, it is automatically passed.
• While this unit is within Engagement Range of any enemy Fallen units, unless this unit has the Vehicle keyword, this unit cannot be selected to Fall Back.
• Each time you select this unit to Fall Back, unless it has the Vehicle, Ravenwing or Chapter Master keywords, roll 2D6: if the result is less than or equal to the unit's Leadership characteristic it can Fall Back, otherwise it cannot Fall Back and must Remain Stationary instead.
• Each time an attack is made against this unit, if this unit has the Infantry keyword, an unmodified wound roll of 1-3 always fails, irrespective of any abilities that the weapon or the model making that attack may have.

Ravenwing units get Jink instead (5++ vs shooting, 4++ if they advanced). But Deathwing infantry are now 3 wounds like other termies but also ignore morale and rolls of 1,2 or 3 to wound them, in exchange for them potentially not falling back when you want them to. Because they are both stubborn and tough as old boots.

Last edited:

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Are Adeptus Mechanicus getting a new codex like Necrons and Space Marines, or is that the "Psychic Awakening"-book?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are Adeptus Mechanicus getting a new codex like Necrons and Space Marines, or is that the "Psychic Awakening"-book?
They'll get a new 9th codex, it's probably a fair way off though. We know that a Xenos list and Dark Angels are the first two next year.

At the moment you have the 8th edition codex with the update from PA, plus this FAQ/errata yesterday that also upgrades various weapons to match. There's a ton of tweaks:

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
So if I want to buy a book, it should be the PA-one, or do I also need the 8th edition codex?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So if I want to buy a book, it should be the PA-one, or do I also need the 8th edition codex?
Right now, the main thing you need is the 8th codex (plus the FAQ released yesterday that updates your weapons in line with other imperial factions). PA introduces some new rules, options and units, but it's more of an expansion. You can play Admech in 9th with the 8th book (or a digital version of it) and the FAQ. You can't play with just PA. However! It might be worth picking up later on. The eventual 9th edition codex will fold in all the previous elements but who knows how far away it will be.

It's always been this way- whenever you start a new army there's a chance a new codex could be months away, or it could be years. I bought my DA codex late last year, and then the PA book earlier this year, only to find both have now been entirely replaced by codex marines and yesterday's FAQ now.

The PA books also have some (poorly written) lore and missions and art etc that are interesting, but are quite overpriced at £25 IMO, especially if you only want them for the rules building on the 8th Ed. codices.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
At the moment don't buy any unless you are getting space marine or Necrons 9th.

Better off just subscribing to the app for now to get all the datasheet/rules before your armies 9th edition codex gets released.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Here is my small 40K library that I have been building since 2017.

image0.jpg
Are they all brand new? Such good condition.

Good picks though, I've read most of those, although I still need to start book 3 of Siege of Terra before moving onto Saturnine. I'd recommend reading Dante before Devastation of Baal too! I just finished reading The Regent's Shadow, that was very good.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
All new. I always buy books new and for those i couldn't get I buy digital.
I prefer physical books too. What I have started buying digitally though is any of the 3-in-1 omnibus editions, as the glue/binding tends to be really cheap on them. I had one of them literally fall apart as I was reading the last novel in the book.

VaIdor

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2020
Sol System
I prefer physical books too. What I have started buying digitally though is any of the 3-in-1 omnibus editions, as the glue/binding tends to be really cheap on them. I had one of them literally fall apart as I was reading the last novel in the book.
I haven't had that problem with the omnibus yet thankfully. Although amazon shipping does damage books slightly.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good news from the Regimental Standard, Guardsmen! You're getting cover.
All Flexible Obscuring Reusable Terrain pieces are 100% compatible with each other, which means that by standing next to your fellow Guardsmen you will increase the amount of cover for all units behind you. You can easily create two- or even three-storey F.O.R.T.s by positioning yourselves on each other's shoulders, providing cover for valuable Leman Russ Battle Tanks.

Important Note: do not deploy the Flexible Obscuring Reusable Terrain in wet weather as its corrugated paper construction is not waterproof and you will be left carrying soggy terrain. This issue should be resolved with Flexible Obscuring Reusable Terrain 2: Woods.**

** As soon as we can locate sufficient planets with trees
These bits got a sensible chuckle out of me :D

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Can't you just do that? Print out some brick pattern and slap it on cardboard. Are there regulation terrain?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Reading over the Takes from the new Marine FAQ/Dex, and how do you feel about suddenly being a meta-chasing That Guy Redcrayon ? Ya bois got buffed HARD

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Reading over the Takes from the new Marine FAQ/Dex, and how do you feel about suddenly being a meta-chasing That Guy Redcrayon ? Ya bois got buffed HARD
Lol yeah I'm getting flak from my handful of rl warhammer pals over it. They know I've been a DA guy since 1995 though, the advantage of being old! Also I tend to just paint one of everything I like, which both limits how strong my armies are but also makes them way more resilient to the ebb and flow of different rules sets and editions. It's the people who rush out to min/max and say 'now I'm gonna field a whole army of Deathwing' that end up moaning next edition when it's all evened out and something else is in the spotlight.

I find the focus on the Deathwing gaining 'needs 4+ to wound them' a bit of an immediate panic though. It doesn't affect S4 shots or smite, the knights lost the 3+ invulnerable from shields too, that went to a 4+. They also lost the teleport homer they had only just gained, and need a ld check to fall back, meaning DW units in trouble can be used to protect units from the DA shooting phase. No more guaranteed pulling your one survivor facing off against 3 characters/monsters back any more.

This is really just a get-you-by list, I'm sure there's points hikes coming with the supplement next year so I doubt I'll even have time to make the most of it :D

Wait until the Death Guard are rocking 3W T5 terminators with Disgustingly resilient, that's gonna hurt too :D

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Of course, the real thing every marine player isn't talking about is how good eradicators comparatively are now that auras don't buff tanks, as it doesn't make sense to shoot themselves in the foot (with a Melta rifle) :D

In all honesty I'm way more pleased with all the buffs from the marine codex to the Redemptor Dread with plasma incinerator that I just spent 2 weeks painting...

Last edited:

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Of course, the real thing every marine player isn't talking about is how good eradicators comparatively are now that auras don't buff tanks, as it doesn't make sense to shoot themselves in the foot (with a Melta rifle) :D

In all honestly I'm way more pleased with all the buffs from the marine codex to the Redemptor Dread with plasma incinerator that I just spent 2 weeks painting...
Wait, what happened to tanks?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wait, what happened to tanks?
The aura buffs from captains and lts only now buff 'core troops', which is pretty much just marine infantry, dreads and bikes. Tanks and characters (and centurions, and Invictors) aren't 'core', so you can't have a captain and a lt giving a tank squadron and each other 'reroll 1s to hit' and 'reroll 1s to wound' any more.

Essentially it's to give a disincentive to create gunline synergies around characters and vehicles. Seeing as the Repulsive Executioner no longer fires twice, but the Eradicators retain their 'shoot twice if all at same target' ability, and infantry can still benefit from aura buffs, it means Eradicators are pretty much the most efficient and effective anti-tank choice all marine armies have for the points, at least unless you want long range.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
The aura buffs from captains and lts only now buff 'core troops', which is pretty much just marine infantry, dreads and bikes. Tanks and characters (and centurions, and Invictors) aren't 'core', so you can't have a captain and a lt giving a tank squadron and each other 'reroll 1s to hit' and 'reroll 1s to wound' any more.

Essentially it's to give a disincentive to create gunline synergies around characters and vehicles. Seeing as the Repulsive Executioner no longer fires twice, but the Eradicators retain their 'shoot twice if all at same target' ability, and infantry can still benefit from aura buffs, it means Eradicators are pretty much the most efficient and effective anti-tank choice all marine armies have for the points, at least unless you want long range.
Oh, right, that. I am getting ready to go up against Astra Militarum again today and so I may have been overthinking the tanks bit.