• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well...not exactly. Horus Heresy refers not only to Horus betraying the Empire, but also the whole galactic civil war that he ignites. The first books are pretty much how things get started.

The usual approach to Horus Heresy books is to read the first ones and then just pick whatever seems interesting. There are some illustrations to be found by googling that show how the chronology and how the myriad plot lines connect and those can be used a rough guide.

My advice is to read the first three, then The Flight of the Eisenstein and Fulgrim. At that point look for books that a) are by Demski-Bowden or Abnett b) are about a legion or an event that interest you.
Alright, thanks :)
I think I'll finish the first 3 books and then start reading some 40k stuff, get back to HH a bit later.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've started reading the first Horus Heresy book, and while the beginning was nothing transcending, finishing chapter 9 makes me wanna lie in bed with some hot chocolate and read all day long to see what happens next.

Now what I don't understand is that there are like 20+ HH books. I'm guessing the first one(s) are what leads to the heresy while the ones after that are the aftermath ?
The big betrayals happen fairly quickly, but the title also refers to the galactic war that spans several years and so various books cover key moments in the war. There are around 60 books plus the Siege of the Terra that is the grand finale (currently book 4 of 8 has been released). The thing is, there are lots of plotlines and different factions, I found it easier to follow the arcs of the factions I was most interested in rather than doggedly read them all in turn.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
My first miniature painted, and boy do I hate doing the eyes.
p104055545j39.jpg

p10405571skbq.jpg

Are there any recommendations for which miniatures you should fully paint before assembling? I've just glued together a primaris lieutenant from the "Recruit Edition", and realised it's going to be hard to reach all areas.

Last edited:

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra

Are there any recommendations for which miniatures you should fully paint before assembling? I've just glued together a primaris lieutenant from the "Recruit Edition", and realised it's going to be hard to reach all areas.
Great job! Certainly beats my first! I personally assemble all but the most extreme cases, but it is up to personal preference and painting style.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

That is a fantastic job for a first! When assembling just dry-fit everything and it'll give you a good idea of what should be painted separately.

That being said, sometimes I just don't bother with it, painting a bunch or arms/legs/other limbs is more boring than painting a whole mini.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Wow that's a good job for a first mini, very neat, well done! It's very rare for me to paint models in pieces. I did it for the Redemptor dreadnought as it's my army centrepiece, but for infantry I don't think I would.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
The only times I paint some piece apart, is when it will clearly get in the middle. The Bladeguard dudes are the perfect example, as the shield would make quite harder to paint a good chunk of the main body.

The heads are maybe the only part that would be actually good to paint apart on a regular basis, but is not exactly necessary.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like this rule change. Aura buffs will now largely apply to 'core units', rather than exotic tanks, characters, and characters buffing themselves.
Meaning that a Marine Captain and Lieutenant can't buff a vehicle squadron or each other, significantly reducing the amount of rerolls people have on their strongest attacks. If it leads to a greater reliance on characters buffing troops, rather than the strongest units having characters as babysitters, I'm all for it.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
That's another huge change to roll out on only one army at a time, but I guess Space Marines can take it. But it emphasizes that everything is in freefall now, and the top army can change on a monthly basis. Not that anyone is playing much...

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

Getting her. She'll be joining Colonel Dillon and Comissar Rayne. I think I may soon have to get a catachan command squad to support them!

I like this rule change. Aura buffs will now largely apply to 'core units', rather than exotic tanks, characters, and characters buffing themselves.
Meaning that a Marine Captain and Lieutenant can't buff a vehicle squadron or each other, significantly reducing the amount of rerolls people have on their strongest attacks. If it leads to a greater reliance on characters buffing troops, rather than the strongest units having characters as babysitters, I'm all for it.

This is a great change.

So, my Hobby center is doing another painting contest, this time "Bigger is better", with GW minis of 40mm and up bases. I've been looking at whatever catches my fancy on GW's site and I was thinking of finally doing the Stompa I have gathering dust since last decade but it doesn't have a base so it's not valid.
Then I saw the Seraphon dinos and thought it was great but the Bastiladon seems out of stock everywhere and is only available in the Skinks start collecting anymore.

Now that I'm about to have a sizeable Guard group I'm thinking I may tackle a Valkyrie instead and after the contest use it as their transport.

I still want to paint a giant lizard with a sunbeam cannon on its back though....

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Getting her. She'll be joining Colonel Dillon and Comissar Rayne. I think I may soon have to get a catachan command squad to support them!

This is a great change.

So, my Hobby center is doing another painting contest, this time "Bigger is better", with GW minis of 40mm and up bases. I've been looking at whatever catches my fancy on GW's site and I was thinking of finally doing the Stompa I have gathering dust since last decade but it doesn't have a base so it's not valid.
Then I saw the Seraphon dinos and thought it was great but the Bastiladon seems out of stock everywhere and is only available in the Skinks start collecting anymore.

Now that I'm about to have a sizeable Guard group I'm thinking I may tackle a Valkyrie instead and after the contest use it as their transport.

I still want to paint a giant lizard with a sunbeam cannon on its back though....
The Lizards are always fun to paint as it's natural, bright colours. That's what I found when I went to paint my Bretonnians after a decade of Wood Elves and Dark Angels essentially meaning I rarely strayed from an Autumn palette of greens, reds, tans and browns. It's fun to do something where you can really make the colours pop, lizards over a white undercoat look amazing. You can find some awesome influences in real-world lizard/reptile/amphibian patterns, all those amazing geckos etc :-)

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the kind and helpful words, folks. New painters like me are standing on the shoulders of "Those that did not thin their paints", that has come before us, and we have taken their hard-earned lessons to heart.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I ended up ordering the Starter Skinks box instead of the Valkyrie as the contest rules state that you cannot change the base the model comes with, so Bastiladon it is!

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Here is the instrument of destruction to take down the vile worshippers of Nurgle, whenever the next game will be.

Also I can see I forgot to paint the pistol holster.

9RB1UIg.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I could still bite myself in the ass for not buying that awesome Primaris intercessor action figurewhen it was available. Any chance they will do another run at some point?

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I could still bite myself in the ass for not buying that awesome Primaris intercessor action figurewhen it was available. Any chance they will do another run at some point?

I think the current run of Salamander and Imperial Fists Intercessor action figures is your "second run". Not saying they won't return to Ultramarines, but it could be a while.

McFarlane are, theoretically, putting out some significantly more affordable action figures iminently... but they've been super scarce on the details considering they're theoretically meant to ship this month.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the current run of Salamander and Imperial Fists Intercessor action figures is your "second run". Not saying they won't return to Ultramarines, but it could be a while.

McFarlane are, theoretically, putting out some significantly more affordable action figures iminently... but they've been super scarce on the details considering they're theoretically meant to ship this month.

I'm not to keen on all 3 color schemes but the Ultramarines one was the one it could tolerate the most at least. Also the price for the new ones seems to be like 1/3 higher than the Ultramarines figure and there doesn't seem to be anything new that justifies such a harsh price hike.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up space marines adventures rise of the orcs(I really wanted to see what the upsized term models would look like) and force recon(mainly for the captain model).

As much as I think primaris is a good thing for the game/brand (I think chaos\firstborn have too much overlapping design space and that doesn't even include stuff like sob\grey knights\custodes or the billion of forgeworld stuff). It's cool having firstborn miniatures that aren't nearly as stumpy.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Only a Starweaver away from a functional patrol detachment!

yvnerrj.jpeg
Classic minis, I love them. The Harlequin's Kiss was one of those body horror things that fascinated me as a kid. 'A monofilament wire darts in and liquifies the enemy from the inside out'. I think I once bagged a Carnifex with one. That's a lot of liquid.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are there any good Tech-Priest Enginseer proxies or kit-bash ideas? There's the two official ones (plastic and metal) and the Forge World Titan Tech-Priest (resin), but it seems like a really cheap command option for AdMech so I feel like I'd want to pack a lot of them in and I'd prefer them all to be fairly unique.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are there any good Tech-Priest Enginseer proxies or kit-bash ideas? There's the two official ones (plastic and metal) and the Forge World Titan Tech-Priest (resin), but it seems like a really cheap command option for AdMech so I feel like I'd want to pack a lot of them in and I'd prefer them all to be fairly unique.

you could probably kitbash with a SM techmarine quite easily?
Also, maybe use some bits and bobs from Cawl and Dominus to give them some fairly unique looks?

Ideally, tech priests would be an interchangeable multi-pose kit with loads of bits to choose from - would fit the lore really well as they're all so varied and have tinkered with their own bespoke enhancements until they're all fairly disparate

ah well

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just finished my Dark Angels Primaris Librarian
RrkBg0.jpeg

Detail of force sword:
68FZf1.jpeg

First model in ages where I planned out the colours on paper first as there's a lot going on!
Dark blue because Librarian. Needs a green shoulder pad because Dark Angels, and Dark green and dark blue don't complement each other well at all. Is also a member of the Deathwing so wanted bone represented too. Also the rest of my army has blue eye lenses and power weapons, which then doesn't stand out with the armour.

In the end I decided a simple pale brown (Steel legion drab) robe underneath worked well to let the main colours stand out, and I took the force sword up to sky blue with gold highlights on it's detail, which then ties into the gold psychic hood he's wearing as a signifier of where the power is coming from.
The main power cables I just sloshed some yellow contrast on as they sit between the green and blue and I knew it would look good (plus I've got some yellow cables on the dreadnought...). Anyway. Quite pleased with this chap!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Love the bone on the chest plate.
Thanks! Just noticed I need to go back and paint the scroll on his leg plate. Always the way when I look at a photo of a mini I painted and see loads of mistakes, I remember when I was basecoating the blue and thinking 'must remember to come back to this bit!' :D

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an offer from GW: spend £40 via their web store by next week and I'll get a £6 voucher to use in October! Good way to buy lots of direct only Middle Earth/40K models so check your inboxes!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's possibly some serious direct marketing tactics. 'A voucher at what we approximate is 15% off the next purchase in your typical spending pattern as long as you stick to that pattern'. The only reason not just to say 'You'll receive a 15% off voucher' is they don't want it to be suddenly applied to a huge order, but also don't want anyone spending less, but also want it to seem as big as possible. So weird.