• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I painted a couple of the latest mini releases. A plastic Terminator Librarian from the Deathwing expansion pack to the smash hit 1989 boardgame, Space Hulk. And a pewter Harlequin Solitaire for the new wargame I've been trying out, Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader. It's a bit of a mouthful so I've decided to abbreviate it just as "40k". The latest rules for this elfy guy can be found in the White Dwarf magazine, issues 105 and 106, Sep/Oct 1988.

tMiyob6.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
I painted a couple of the latest mini releases. A plastic Terminator Librarian from the Deathwing expansion pack to the smash hit 1989 boardgame, Space Hulk. And a pewter Harlequin Solitaire for the new wargame I've been trying out, Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader. It's a bit of a mouthful so I've decided to abbreviate it just as "40k". The latest rules for this elfy guy can be found in the White Dwarf magazine, issues 105 and 106, Sep/Oct 1988.

tMiyob6.jpg
Oh wow I love this! Do you have any more?
I've got a boxed blood angels death company first release from 1993(?) which I'm too scared to paint at this point.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow I love this! Do you have any more?
I've got a boxed blood angels death company first release from 1993(?) which I'm too scared to paint at this point.

Thanks! I have way more old stuff than I'd like to admit, although more fantasy than 40k (still waiting for the comeback of square bases). Most of it is red period though (ie. 1992-1998 or so).

I also have that same Death Company, though now they serve as various Marine veterans of the Red Templar variety. Don't be afraid to paint them if you want to use them!

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

tMiyob6.jpg
Cutting edge minis right there. Gorgeous work.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The upcoming multipart Primaris minis are really tempting me to make a Primaris Deathwatch Kill Team featuring my favourite chapters. Looks like they finally have everything I'd want...

Necrons, Sons of Behemat and the new console generation are going to leave a large hole in the wallet already though!

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
So Ive only played the game twice and I feel like I've played the wrong army,made Harelquins not only are they a pain the paint I hate how they play on the table top.
They are so squishy today I didn't kill a single unit in both games I played at 500 points. I have about 1000 points of quins and a 1000 points of craftworlds.

I feel I should've made another army that's easier to play, i really want to make emperor's children as I love their colour scheme and lore. However everyone tells me to wait as they are likely to get a codex and exclusive models like death guard /thousand sons.

I also own half a indomitus box the space marine version, but I have no idea what chapter to play.
I only got so many models as I traded in a massive vanguard collection to my hobby store and they wouldn't offer cash so I took harlqiuns + craftworlds and a indomitus box.

Sorry for the rant
Just looking for any advice

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
So Ive only played the game twice and I feel like I've played the wrong army,made Harelquins not only are they a pain the paint I hate how they play on the table top.
They are so squishy today I didn't kill a single unit in both games I played at 500 points. I have about 1000 points of quins and a 1000 points of craftworlds.

I feel I should've made another army that's easier to play, i really want to make emperor's children as I love their colour scheme and lore. However everyone tells me to wait as they are likely to get a codex and exclusive models like death guard /thousand sons.

I also own half a indomitus box the space marine version, but I have no idea what chapter to play.
I only got so many models as I traded in a massive vanguard collection to my hobby store and they wouldn't offer cash so I took harlqiuns + craftworlds and a indomitus box.

Sorry for the rant

Honestly, in your situation if you want to make use of the models you have now; Sons of the Phoenix.

www.youtube.com

Sons of the Phoenix - Army Showcase

Fingers gives us the lowdown on his Sons of the Phoenix marine army. He talks through some of his units and the techniques used to paint them. This will be t...

Edit. The problem you are having on deciding to go emperors children or not, tbh made made he hate how they handled the chaos cult legions. While, in lore the death guard is still the most legion like of the four, I wish they pushed them all equally.

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some weeks ago there was a preview thing from warhammer beastgrave I think with a miniature of a chameleon. Someone know when this will be available and what its called? Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure whether I don't mind that third marine in the speeder or really dislike it.

Not so much the noise, but surely the muzzle flash from the turret would be blinding even with the tech inside of the helmet?
Like the ATV though, with a little work and plasticard, it's fixable.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Some weeks ago there was a preview thing from warhammer beastgrave I think with a miniature of a chameleon. Someone know when this will be available and what its called? Thanks!
It was a chameleon skink who are a sort of stealthy scout subgroup in the Lizardmen (or seraphon or whatever they called them in the big fantasy name change). So likely a warband along those lines

Oct 30, 2017
i just scored a bunch of old dwarf and elf plastics, so I'm a happy camper.
Friend had found an old metal zoanthrope and tossed it in with those guys too. Don't think I've ever painted one before.
I'm liking those new Necron characters. Kinda surprised none of the 3rd party manufacturers are making Necron styled models again.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It will likely be a lizardmen warband. There's an Underworlds reveal next weekend, it may feature these.
It was a chameleon skink who are a sort of stealthy scout subgroup in the Lizardmen (or seraphon or whatever they called them in the big fantasy name change). So likely a warband along those lines
The bloodbowl lizardman team have a couple of them if you want a preview.
Thanks ! I might get them just to paint the chameleon haha

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017

Sorry for the rant

Harlequins are really powerful now, but it's certainly not an easy army to play. They combine really well with Craftworld Eldar. An army of jetbikes and grav-tanks (with obsec passengers) can play the movement game sooo well.

If you have the Indomitus box though, you already have the beginnings of a really powerful and easy to use army. Just get some extras depending on how large a game you want to be able to play. Maybe an Impulsor to stick your assault Intercessors into, and some conversion bits to give the sergeant a power fist or thunder hammer. Beyond that it's really up to what sort of army you want to build, but regular Intercessors are pretty great and you need more troops to field a battalion anyway. Or you could get a Tactical Squad, they're not too hot now but in a month they'll get that extra wound and the box will be a treasure trove of bitz.

I recommend making your own chapter, because then you can use whatever chapter rules you end up liking. Or just go Ultramarines, they're never bad because they have such a great toolbox of things like a redeployment stratagem (very useful if you're unsure what to do) and a relic that essentially curses an enemy model (take that big tank/daemon/knight). Marines are so good though that it really doesn't matter what chapter you use, as long as you like the overall theme.

Finally as far as Chaos goes, the regular Chaos Space Marines codex is rather bad. It's not easy to play at all, and there's only one good synergy in the book, Daemon Engines. So unless you want that, I'd recommend waiting or just going with Death Guard which is getting a codex soon and is already really good. Ally with Daemons and you can even be broken good by having Nurglings take all the objectives by infiltrating and be really incredibly hard to shift for really cheap. Any army without infiltrators is at a huge disadvantage against them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finally as far as Chaos goes, the regular Chaos Space Marines codex is rather bad. It's not easy to play at all, and there's only one good synergy in the book, Daemon Engines. So unless you want that, I'd recommend waiting or just going with Death Guard which is getting a codex soon and is already really good. Ally with Daemons and you can even be broken good by having Nurglings take all the objectives by infiltrating and be really incredibly hard to shift for really cheap. Any army without infiltrators is at a huge disadvantage against them.
I do love the current nurgling swarm minis. Cheeky little pus-filled gits that they are!

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do you folks have any cheap way to store miniatures?
Preferably something that's portable?

I looked at GW stuff and it's fucking expensive for some plastic box and some foam.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

I looked at GW stuff and it's fucking expensive for some plastic box and some foam.

My preferred way to do it is magnetizing them them on a metal sheet, you can buy metallic carry cases, use metallic tool boxes, or make your own.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly, in your situation if you want to make use of the models you have now; Sons of the Phoenix.

www.youtube.com

Sons of the Phoenix - Army Showcase

Fingers gives us the lowdown on his Sons of the Phoenix marine army. He talks through some of his units and the techniques used to paint them. This will be t...

Edit. The problem you are having on deciding to go emperors children or not, tbh made made he hate how they handled the chaos cult legions. While, in lore the death guard is still the most legion like of the four, I wish they pushed them all equally.

I really do like the Sons of the Pheonix colour scheme and obvious stench of heresy.

Oct 30, 2017
My storage method is dollar store plastic bins with layers of minis and bubble wrap, making a nice lasagna of plastic in the end. Relatively cheap and I try to keep the boxes organized by theme/ army/ game. Biggest issue being there's quite a few boxes stacked up.
We won't talk of the absolute chaos that the unpainted lot are...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've tended to just order the foam trays where you pick out the foam to match your minis, and then put those in a generic plastic storage case that's roughly the same dimensions. Trays like these:

Games Workshop Trays

Certainly GW's own ones are highly overpriced.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Seems like the strategy for 9th is break everything and see what it looks like after! Again as a mostly painter and non competitive gamer its all fun, but pretty damn big changes.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Nice boost for Necrons, from White Dwarf:

Good news from my view, to be sure. Though admittedly I am still hesitant to celebrate.

I was worried with all of the broken insanity that was being relentlessly thrown out there Primaris Space Marine wise, that Necrons would stand no chance. Especially with the lack of Toughness 5 models during the weekend stream.

The reveal of the Heavy Intercessors did not help things either.

We'll see how this goes. But this at least gives me some small measure of hope that my 3 units of 20 Necron Warriors won't be blasted off the table turn 1.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018

I recently discovered the magic of magnetised miniature cases and feel like a fool for ever buying boxes of foam.
Buy a load of tiny magnets and some sticky backed ferrous rubber sheets. Stick the magnets to the bottom of your models and the rubber sheets to the inside of a sturdy box. Best model case I've ever had.

celban

Oct 27, 2017

I ended up with 2 Indomitus Lieutenants so I made a smash captain with a bunch of misc. bits. Really happy with how he turned out.

Oct 30, 2017
I actually like that new Landspeeder. The turret though, that's a blight on an otherwise decent design. I hope some enterprising sort make some alternative targetting array to replace the gunner.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget to get your Sgt. Ripper if you have a Games Workshop store near you!

I hope GW makes a great deal of them available on their website for plebs like me who live in a country without official GW presence.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
www.goonhammer.com

Hammer of Math: Space Marine Codex Preview

On Saturday Games Workshop revealed a lot of upcoming information about the new Necron and Space Marine codex, and for the Astartes there was a considerable amount of information that we can actual…

Goonhammer did a mathhammer preview.

Basically, heavy intercessors aren't that "broken" (although Stronger then I thought they were), and that's going in with the low end of the powerlevel - point conversion spectrum. However the problem remain is that agressors are stupid broken.

Basically, I do think that Space Marines have a gravis problem, but its really eradicatos and agressors and lets see if both get toned down with massive point increases.

I actually like that new Landspeeder. The turret though, that's a blight on an otherwise decent design. I hope some enterprising sort make some alternative targetting array to replace the gunner.

I"m pretty sure there will be.

There's decent replacements for a trunk bed for the impulsor, and their's various covered cockpits for the invictor that you can buy.

Last edited:

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like on the 19th, so in 4 days, an Ork novel from The Black Library is going to drop.

Brutal Kunnin

Count me pretty interested. I listened to Prophets of Waaagh! to kill some time and as an Audio Drama it was a pretty enjoyable distraction.

Looking forward to this. Especially since it will be available in Audio Book format. Will make the long drives in to work enjoyable for a few days or so.

Hoping this is the start of a trend. I'd like to see some more novel length Xeno faction based novels. Audio Books especially. I don't get much free time to read due to my job.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I quite want to start collecting a faction but I can't decide which one.

I love the look of the little Nurglings and all things Nurgle (could I do a mix of gurgle and chaos space marines? its all chaos right), but also the Genestealer cults have some nice models.

Hmmm.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017

I love the look of the little Nurglings and all things Nurgle (could I do a mix of gurgle and chaos space marines? its all chaos right), but also the Genestealer cults have some nice models.

Hmmm.

Yeah, you can absolutely mix of Deathguard chaos marines and Nurgle daemons. And hey, you could easily turn some Genestealer cultists into chaos cultists with just different iconography and a few headswaps or green stuff work.

In the end, they are mutants and heretics, all.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

Hmmm.
The Genestealer Cults are relatively new models and look great. The Nurglings are the best and the Deathguard line is very consistent in terms of looks. It's a tough choice for sure!

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
My friend has been playing full-on Disgustingly Resilient Nurgle against me for three games now, all of which I've lost in 2 turns without ever having much hope. So now I'm gonna get back at him because leafing through the rules I found the Master Apothecary. Take the Father of the Future warlord trait, combine with Iron Hands and you've got a Space Marine army with Disgustingly Resilient (infantry only though). Now to figure out what sort of army suits it best. I've got three squads of Devastators at least.

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've started reading the first Horus Heresy book, and while the beginning was nothing transcending, finishing chapter 9 makes me wanna lie in bed with some hot chocolate and read all day long to see what happens next.

Now what I don't understand is that there are like 20+ HH books. I'm guessing the first one(s) are what leads to the heresy while the ones after that are the aftermath ?

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I've started reading the first Horus Heresy book, and while the beginning was nothing transcending, finishing chapter 9 makes me wanna lie in bed with some hot chocolate and read all day long to see what happens next.

Now what I don't understand is that there are like 20+ HH books. I'm guessing the first one(s) are what leads to the heresy while the ones after that are the aftermath ?

Well...not exactly. Horus Heresy refers not only to Horus betraying the Empire, but also the whole galactic civil war that he ignites. The first books are pretty much how things get started.

The usual approach to Horus Heresy books is to read the first ones and then just pick whatever seems interesting. There are some illustrations to be found by googling that show how the chronology and how the myriad plot lines connect and those can be used a rough guide.

My advice is to read the first three, then The Flight of the Eisenstein and Fulgrim. At that point look for books that a) are by Demski-Bowden or Abnett b) are about a legion or an event that interest you.