• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
I agree with Staffy. They're your models mate, do whatever you want with them! Create your own lore. The heads do seem marginally too big though IMO. It's slight but noticeable.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
One thing to add, is that if you do go that route, maybe look for some ancient Egyptian in spaaaace -bits to tie into the cat theme? More Bastet and less Hello Kitten, you know?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I agree the head looks slightly too big, and I think it's that the rest of the Sororitas models are so sleek with all the flowing robes and form-fitting armour. To look right you'd want helmets on the same scale as their original ones, but it's really hard to judge exactly how it's going to look when seeing pieces online. The eye lenses are a good indicator though, they perhaps look a little far apart for where the sister's eyes would be.

Marines are so big and cartoonishly bulked out across the shoulders so there's wide range of stuff that works with them. I mean, there's literally animal-themed helmets there already, not to mention I've seen plenty of people's own chapters done as a head swap to make them stand out, anything from Spartans to big astronaut helmets, neither of which make any sense in the lore either but are just done because they look cool. I've seen people interpret IG Rough Riders as guardsmen on bikes, Eldar jetbikes as them riding exodite pterodactyls, Marine Bikers as monstrous cavalry (long before SW Thunderwolves were a thing, they just noticed that WFB monster cav were a good fit for the size) and a WFB Orc army retooled as a primitive Goff Ork warband (including artillery!) that worked beautifully. Headswaps are the easiest way to add visual character to a force. It's true that technically in the lore Sisters are less diverse in the appearance of their equipment as it all comes from the same place, but for a faction that's been around for a long time they haven't really had a lot of focus on how diverse the Orders Minoris can get. People play fast and loose with so many factions and the whole point of the setting is that there's room for whatever story you want to tell. I mean, between the White Scars and the Atillan Rough Riders they did the 'facial scars as part of becoming one of the Khan's warriors' twice and nobody cared, pretty much everything in 40K is 'x reference taken to a weird extreme', some stranger, more obscure, more comical (or in some cases more problematic ones that get retired) than others.

You won't find any hostility around hobby stuff here, defensive fanboy anger enshrining lore over something as inconsequential as what people do with their hobby time and their minis isn't something we'd look kindly on.

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that helmet is a bit too big. Something like a 10-15% smaller would be perfect, I think, but I guess it's not 3D printed by yourself but bought in some 3rd party bits store.

And yeah, I was expecting something much, much different after that preamble :P. And while I understand your fears, I also think that helmet shouldn't be a problem for anyone but the most extremist players around.... and you probably wouldn't be interested in playing against them anyway.

At the end, these are your miniatures and you can do whatever you want with them as long as they fit in the rules*. And nowhere in the rules say you must paint them in certain way or that you can't give them that helmet or create things like this:

TPA1wYP.png

Or this army.. These may be abominations**, but that's only relevant for its owner. Everyone else may like it more or less, but it's not up to them to decide if it's correct or not.

*In case you play. If you don't play and you are just a hobby-ist, do whatever you like with them.
**They are :P,, but I would still laugh my ass off if somebody brings them to the table and I would be more than happy to play against it. After all, it's an army that has received a lot of love and hours of work, and noone can disdain that.

EDIT: Is the Instagram plugin doing werid things for anyone else? I've seen a couple posts around where it doesn't fully load, and even my kor'sarro of last page (for 50ppp :P) isn't showing to me right now while it worked before.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like these Skitarii might be better off being painted in sub-assembly form, too many awkward nooks and crannies.

I've heard about the whole "drill into contact parts, glue in wire then snap it off in the freezer when you're done" strategy but that sounds like a tremendous amount of faff for which I lack the equipment. I might just see if a cork, toothpick and bluetack will do.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Looks like these Skitarii might be better off being painted in sub-assembly form, too many awkward nooks and crannies.

I've heard about the whole "drill into contact parts, glue in wire then snap it off in the freezer when you're done" strategy but that sounds like a tremendous amount of faff for which I lack the equipment. I might just see if a cork, toothpick and bluetack will do.

Cork, toothpick and bluetack will work just fine!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah for small plastic parts, blu-tak, cork and toothpick is way less likely to damage parts or the paint job/undercoat than glue, drills and a freezer.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cork, toothpick and bluetack will work just fine!

If anything I'm a little bit worried about assembling after painting. I reckon that legs+base, torso+head and arms are the ideal sub-sections that I can blutack together for priming (so as to avoid primer on the connecting bits), but I've heard that any excess plastic glue at the seams can really screw with the paint-job. Maybe if I'm quick with a bit of tissue I can wipe any excess glue away as and when it seeps out?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If anything I'm a little bit worried about assembling after painting. I reckon that legs+base, torso+head and arms are the ideal sub-sections that I can blutack together for priming (so as to avoid primer on the connecting bits), but I've heard that any excess plastic glue at the seams can really screw with the paint-job. Maybe if I'm quick with a bit of tissue I can wipe any excess glue away as and when it seeps out?
Yeah, use a plastic glue bottle that has some kind of applicator that just gives you a dot

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I am sure you can find hints online, but personally I don't paint anything in sub assemblies. I understand why people do, and there may be a model one day that requires it, but so far so good.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, use a plastic glue bottle that has some kind of applicator that just gives you a dot

This is the stuff I've got:

39604.jpg

I used it in the olden days with no major disaster but I'm conscious that a drop too much might spell doom if I don't act fast lol

I am sure you can find hints online, but personally I don't paint anything in sub assemblies. I understand why people do, and there may be a model one day that requires it, but so far so good.

I don't really want to use sub-assemblies either, but Skitarii seem to be particularly fiddly for standard infantry, what with the long robes and metal alongside fabric. I've already resolved to the daunting task of giving them yellow robes, I don't want to add any further difficulties to the process if I can help it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is the stuff I've got:

39604.jpg

I used it in the olden days with no major disaster but I'm conscious that a drop too much might spell doom if I don't act fast lol

I don't really want to use sub-assemblies either, but Skitarii seem to be particularly fiddly for standard infantry, what with the long robes and metal alongside fabric. I've already resolved to the daunting task of giving them yellow robes, I don't want to add any further difficulties to the process if I can help it.
What I usually do, particularly if I haven't used the glue in a while, is to test the applicator on a bit of scrap cardboard or whatever rubbish is lying around to check that it's going to flow smoothly, even with larger pieces. Nothing worse than wrecking fine detail by a bottle of glue deciding it needs to expel half its contents onto an arm join :D

Speaking of tools, I've decided to invest in a rotary tool. I've got some lovely Dark Angels symbols meant for tanks/old dreadnoughts (they have flat backs) on the Ravenwing accessory sprue, and I want to get one onto the shoulder of a Redemptor, but the shoulders are slightly rounded. So I'm going to see if I can use one of the carving attachments to put a similar curve into the back of the symbol before I attach it. I've been meaning to get one for a while anyway.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What I usually do, particularly if I haven't used the glue in a while, is to test the applicator on a bit of scrap cardboard or whatever rubbish is lying around to check that it's going to flow smoothly, even with larger pieces. Nothing worse than wrecking fine detail by a bottle of glue deciding it needs to expel half its contents onto an arm join :D

That's a good shout, spare cardboard is the solution to many problems.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
One more thing while we're talking about tools. I've been asking around about varnish for a while, and have always mistrusted spray can varnish after one frosted a unit of mine ages ago. Also even the 'matt' or 'satin sheen' ones can be a bit too glossy for me.

However, a friend of mine recommended the vallejo brush-on polyurethane matt varnish for a super-matt finish, I applied it to my Warcry force earlier today, and they are looking good. Will definitely be using it for my 40K army. Cost-effective too, that was £4 for 60ml which will be enough for a long time.
pARxE7.jpeg

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that helmet is a bit too big. Something like a 10-15% smaller would be perfect, I think, but I guess it's not 3D printed by yourself but bought in some 3rd party bits store.

And yeah, I was expecting something much, much different after that preamble :P. And while I understand your fears, I also think that helmet shouldn't be a problem for anyone but the most extremist players around.... and you probably wouldn't be interested in playing against them anyway.

At the end, these are your miniatures and you can do whatever you want with them as long as they fit in the rules*. And nowhere in the rules say you must paint them in certain way or that you can't give them that helmet or create things like this:

TPA1wYP.png

Or this army.. These may be abominations**, but that's only relevant for its owner. Everyone else may like it more or less, but it's not up to them to decide if it's correct or not.

*In case you play. If you don't play and you are just a hobby-ist, do whatever you like with them.
**They are :P,, but I would still laugh my ass off if somebody brings them to the table and I would be more than happy to play against it. After all, it's an army that has received a lot of love and hours of work, and noone can disdain that.

EDIT: Is the Instagram plugin doing werid things for anyone else? I've seen a couple posts around where it doesn't fully load, and even my kor'sarro of last page (for 50ppp :P) isn't showing to me right now while it worked before.
Don't forget the amazing Gundam/Vocaloids army!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You won't find any hostility around hobby stuff here, defensive fanboy anger enshrining lore over something as inconsequential as what people do with their hobby time and their minis isn't something we'd look kindly on.
Just expanding on this a little bit... WH40k lore is very weird. It's huge, rambling, and frequently contradictory. This is because it's founded on one simple principle: Your Guys Are Canon. Whatever the hell you want to do with them, they're real, they exist in the setting, they are every bit as valid as any of the examples in the codices. So, sure, Hello Kitty dreadnaughts and cat-head Sororitas. Go wild. That's the whole point.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it feels like with a hobby that demands such a large investment of time, money and effort before you even get started playing it, the most common reason people get into it is self-expression and creativity more than anything else.

Like I'm making yellow Adeptus Mechanicus, despite there being no canon colour schemes for it, but all the canon colour schemes are almost entirely some combination of red, white, grey and black. So fuck em, I'm making my BananAdMech and you can't stop me.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just expanding on this a little bit... WH40k lore is very weird. It's huge, rambling, and frequently contradictory. This is because it's founded on one simple principle: Your Guys Are Canon. Whatever the hell you want to do with them, they're real, they exist in the setting, they are every bit as valid as any of the examples in the codices. So, sure, Hello Kitty dreadnaughts and cat-head Sororitas. Go wild. That's the whole point.
Yeah, it's not even like the Hello Kitty dreadnought and Cat-head Sororitas is anywhere near the weirdest set of 'your guys' I've seen over the years. One of my favourite parts of tourneys was always seeing all the mad ways people would interpret, create and modify stuff. I've been chased off a board by a Space Marine army styled after Buzz Lightyear before, only to then run into a Guard force based on the Dad's Army sitcom.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a yellow forgeworld, or maybe quartered/halfed yellow and red scheme It's just not one of the main ones focused on. I wan't to say part of their lore is they were the first non mars forgeworld but maybe im just misremembering, cant even remember the name.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen some really cool blue Mechanicus. That is another rare color for them. If I ever did one, I would probably do an orange/black scheme with green glowing eyes.

Orange is a rare color to see in 40k.

Yeah it feels like with a hobby that demands such a large investment of time, money and effort before you even get started playing it, the most common reason people get into it is self-expression and creativity more than anything else.

Like I'm making yellow Adeptus Mechanicus, despite there being no canon colour schemes for it, but all the canon colour schemes are almost entirely some combination of red, white, grey and black. So fuck em, I'm making my BananAdMech and you can't stop me.
One good thing GW has been emphasizing lately in the fluff is that there are many more chapters, units, and factions than are officially documented on page. They like the sentence "only the Emperor knows how many Astartes chapters have been founded".

So really, any army name and livery you come up with is canon.

They recently added this to an Age of Sigmar book, where it was noted that so many Stormcast Eternal units are being created to deal with new fronts, nobody has a full record of all their names and banners.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you everyone for the kind replies, thoughts, and indeed, your encouragement.

I want to quote everyone who responded, but I fear my reply would be quite long and somewhat unreadable. So, to everyone, Thank You. It is appreciated.

So, some quick thoughts in reply to others.

The army is intended to be a Felinid Sisters of Battle army. Hence, the comments of outright Heresy, etc. I've just seen some communities and individuals act outright hostile to the idea. That's...putting it, politely. Even more hostile than the Hello Kitty example. Usually, the reason cited for their emotional state on the matter is because of the lore itself. So it's encouraging to see folks in this community basically say " Go for it. Have fun. "

It's refreshing to say the least.

As for the models and bits mentioned. The boxes are indeed Creature Caster models. All of them contain still need to be worked on models for my Slaanesh demons. I ordered the Queen of Onslaught as soon as she went up for Preorder. The preview from Spikey Bits caught my attention with the Feline head you can put on it, and even though the Queen of Onslaught is moreso meant for Khorne factions, I felt I could make it work for my vision of my Slaanesh Demons. Their models are gorgeous, and I am debating ordering the Queen of Malifica down the road as it just looks like an amazing model to paint up. Not pictured was a mountain of Necron Kits, some Tau, other Sisters units like a Rhino and a exorcist, and a ton of Slaanesh demons I need to work on.

The heads are Bastet Helmets from Puppetswar, as Illiterate Bookworm caught on to quite quickly. When I saw them, I was pretty excited because I was hopeful that I could do a Sisters of Battle Army efficiently as I wanted, as Felinids, instead of having to do a lot of green stuff work.

That's the crux of the problem really. I was worried the helmets were a touch too big, and the view of others confirms that. I took a few helms off of the sprues for my battle sister squad box tonight and compared, and there is a slight difference, definitely. In some ways, the celestian helms feel way too small and tiny to me. The Sisters who are not wearing helmets feel pretty much proportional to me. And the Bastet Helmets, feel just a SLIGHT touch too large. I was also concerned that they wouldn't match the fierce, proud warrior femininity of the Sisters either. Thankfully, at least on my end, that part I don't feel is a worry after doing the test with the pictures.

Still, I ordered these, and I want to make them work, and would rather not waste the money. It's possible I could do some stuff like staffy mentioned, and do some egyptian theming. I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet for these, and the way I am looking this, there's two possibilities I could use to make this work.

One, is to put some green stuff in the recess where the head goes in, to expose the neck of the helmet a bit more, and further separate it from the body but still make it look correct for proportions. The other, is painting it somehow so the colors make the helmet look smaller than it actually is.

I'd rather not file the helm down any, as I think that is just going to rob detail and be counterproductive to the entire point. I'm curious as to others thoughts though. I am pretty tired after work and drained. Had to image a ton of systems today. So my brain is just GONE. I'm open and welcome to any ideas and thoughts on what I can do to make these seem proportional, or at least close to it, anyways.

Thanks all, again. I do appreciate each and every single reply everyone gave. It also shows me I don't have to worry about showing off my work on my Necrons, Tau, Sisters, or Slaanesh demons down the road either.

I'm ok with some burn the heretic jokes though, in the name of gentle ribbing.

Oct 28, 2017

Depends on the Skitarii model, I vague remember most don't actually need to be painted in sub-assemblies so long you don't glue them into a base. Super glue spare spruce bits on the feet so you can get around the robes, snap off when ready to base.

Also, don't know why people still use the squeeze bottle type of plastic cement. It's basically been perfected in the form of Tamiya plastic cement and extra thin plastic cement.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Necromunda house of blades stuff didn't arrive this morning :(

Annoying as being a bank holiday with shitty weather it would have been a good weekend project. Roll on Tuesday or Wednesday I guess.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no I bought a venerable dreadnought
And the final paints
And some basing stuff
I almost can't wait for my vacation to end to finally start painting

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Won't get to test this for a while but my new list is complete. Also probably a miserable experience to play against and no one will want to play me casually but regardless I got this:

Patrol Detachment (Steel Legion):
- Tempestor Prime
- 3 Tempestor Scion squads (no upgrades).
- 2 Chimera and a Taurox.
- Ogryn Bodyguard.
- Astropath.

Spearhead Detachment (jury rigged repairs + Gunnery):

- Tank Commander (MBT)
- Leman Russ Demolisher.
- Leman Russ Executioner.
- Basilisk.
- Manticore.
- Wyvern.
- 3 Armored Sentinels.
- Hellhound.
- 2 Ogryn Bodyguard.

Exactly 2000pts. 13 vehicles. I'd swap the Taurox for another Chimera but I don't have one.

Basically the Hellhound and Sentinels rush up front as sacrificial lambs and charge everything. They have cheap anti-tank (multi-melta and hunter killer missiles) so they can't really be ignored.

The Chimeras head to objectives and act as litteral walls for the troops to hide behind. Each has 5 Scions (easier to hide and can actually hurt marines) and an Ogryn Bodyguard. Transports are Steel Legion so -1 weapons are less effective.

The Leman Russes deploy as needed based on range/line of sight. The Battle Tank and Executioner are mid-ranged. The Demolisher is short ranged. The Tank Commander had the extra order ace and I'll probably use the extra order stratagem of I end up sticking the Demolisher close by.

The artillery stay at the back and guard the the Astropath who's farming 15 VP. The wyvern, if it has no available targets (as I often had nothing to shoot at in 8th and mainly used it for the now forbidden suppression strat) will join the hellhound upfront as a sacrifice, I guess...

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yeah. Love the Blood Angels and you are doing them proud!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've had a bit of a result working on my dreadnought. I wanted to get this DA flat tank icon on the shoulder, which is rounded:
6e3UaT.jpeg

half an hour of toying around with my new rotary tool later:
6r2rCX.jpeg

Bit of putty and the job's done!
These things are great, I grabbed this in a sale for £20. Not the best on the market but for working with plastic it's more than enough.
nBcOWW.jpeg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
So 40x Wraithguard is 1080 individual parts on all the sprues, just an FYI. I currently have each part sorted and individually bagged. Next will be individual part clean up and component assembly. I'll probably start with the 40 heads, then go from there. Quite the project!

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a bit of a result working on my dreadnought. I wanted to get this DA flat tank icon on the shoulder, which is rounded:
6e3UaT.jpeg

half an hour of toying around with my new rotary tool later:
6r2rCX.jpeg

Bit of putty and the job's done!
These things are great, I grabbed this in a sale for £20. Not the best on the market but for working with plastic it's more than enough.
nBcOWW.jpeg
Images are not showing for me. Could just be my internet though as it's been iffy today.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Shit, I may have to get that Salamander.

Also, just saw this for the first time and it's got me giggling very hard: https://www.goonhammer.com/your-dice-suck/
I have to admit I've always found it a bit annoying when people have dice with more than one special symbol on them, it makes it a pain to read. Especially in big games when you're chucking a bucket of them around for strong units. Nothing major, just a personal quirk.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I like my Scars dice :(, although I agree more than one face with a symbol is heresy. At least on these is kinda evident, with the 1 for the apothecary helix aka MEEEDIIIIC!
Wait, that's the one? I'd figured it was the other symbol, because a) 1 lightning bolt and b) all the other multi-symbol dice use a skull for their 6 and the helix has a skull over it.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, that's the one? I'd figured it was the other symbol, because a) 1 lightning bolt and b) all the other multi-symbol dice use a skull for their 6 and the helix has a skull over it.

Dunno, there's no instruction manual with them, but in my head there's no logic on using your chapter symbol (aka the cool one) for the bad result and the medical helix (perfect for failing saves) as the good one :P

Oct 30, 2017
Those dice are strange enough to appeal to me. Doubt they'll perform any worse than some of the other novelty dice GW have made. Which is to say terrible for me.
I feel like I ought to actually finish painting some elves prior to getting some of those...