• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, I after debating which space marines chapter to make my indomitus box, I went with salamanders. Here's the first one I have battle ready. Just need to decide on a few details:

I was planning on just using these for crusade games against my Tau, but at the rate that they are making them so disadvantageous to play against the new stuff, I may actually get a few more models when they release. It's surreal that I'll get to experience more than the shooting phase, lol.
Do you guys have any suggestions for salamanders units worth buying?
I love the cactuar :D

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

MOOOOOD KINDREEEEEEEED!!
unknown.png

Xena

Oct 25, 2017
How did you do the metallic effect?
I'm thinking about doing the same for my Dark Angels (that awesome picture in the Rulebook...)
I did similar to this quick tutorial (I learned them from various custom painting Gundam youtube channels but this one gives the general idea):
youtu.be

48 Second Tutorial on Acrylic Candy Paint Jobs

This is a quick one!I'm going to teach you how to do an acrylic candy paint job for your scale models without all the smelly fumes. This tutorial does assume...
For my salamanders, I used Tamiya Black Gloss as my primer, then Titanium Gold for the metallic layer, then Tamiya Clear Green. I airbrushed all these 3. Every other color there was using regular brushes and citadel/army painter ranges.
gCVSqFc.jpg

Same technique, clear red for farsight enclaves:
GFe5dF6.jpg

I love the cactuar :D
Thank you! I was gonna place the regular salamanders decals but they were all sold out everywhere. So I decided to freehand cactuars instead. My boyfriend suggested that I freehand mogs for hq units, chocobo for fast attack and tonberry for the 3 erradicators lol

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I was gonna place the regular salamanders decals but they were all sold out everywhere. So I decided to freehand cactuars instead. My boyfriend suggested that I freehand mogs for hq units, chocobo for fast attack and tonberry for the 3 erradicators lol
brother-oget-the-flamer-36827466.png

Seriously though, I like it!

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017

MOOOOOD KINDREEEEEEEED!!
unknown.png

Not gonna lie. This entire video caused me to pick up the first book.

Best damned decision I've made all week.

Aside from visiting a random game store after a meal and picking up a Necron Monolith new in box, Doom Scythe, Cannoness Veridyan and Sister Superior Amalia Novena ( Which I had thought due to how late I was getting back into sisters, I would never find. ) All of them at heavily discounted prices.

Today has been, a really good day.

Now I just need my dark blue plastic rods and Dark Blue Monolith bits to come in. I have glorious plans for my Necron Army. Such Glorious, Glorious plans.

Almost rivaling that of what I have planned for my Mono Slaanesh army. Almost.

Picked up the new Queen of Onslaught Daemon model from Creature Caster when they launched. Going to use the feline demonic head on her, and have her count as my Exalted Keeper of Secrets.

More than anything, I just love this hobby for building and painting the miniatures. The stress relief, of just building them and listening to music, as well as painting them, is practically priceless due to how much it helps relieve built up stress for me.

This hobby has some bad aspects, but it has some good ones as well.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
3a9.png

My personal favourite book series of the 40k universe. You have a lot of good stuff to look forward to. I recommend picking up the Omnibus books so that you get all the short stories as well that they usually include.

Yeah, I've been really impressed with the first book so far. It's just written so much better, than all of the other 40k books I have read. Indomitus, for example, pissed me off hardcore. Not only did I feel it was bad writing, but the narration on the audio book was also not to my liking, I feel. On top of that, I pretty much outright HATED all but 2 of the characters. And I found pretty much all of the ultra marines to be insufferable, and written very, very poorly.

For the Emperor on the other hand, just...immediately with the first chapter I could just TELL, that this book was going to be good. It handles things on a far more realistic, well written level. VS some writers which are instantly default to BURN THE HERETIC!! Levels of writing.

There's nuance in this. Gravity to the situations. You can related to the characters. Furthermore, it's done a damned good job of not bashing me over the head with the endless drivel of burn this, purge that, exterminatus everything here levels some of the books have that just immediately turn me away from them.

I can already tell I am going to end up reading the entire series, and likely enjoying every single damned one of the books in it.

Also, there needs to be more Xenos focused books. I'm seriously frustrated that there isn't a narrated Audio Book for the Necrons, for example.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So, with "castle up and shoot them off the board" armies apparently being dead in the new edition, I'm wondering what they're gonna do for T'au in their codex update, since that was kinda their whole thing for at least the last few editions. They don't really have the tools for getting up close now that FLY got nerfed, and besides, their objective securing troops are all pretty bad. Dunno what the gameplan is there.
Yeah, I've been really impressed with the first book so far. It's just written so much better, than all of the other 40k books I have read. Indomitus, for example, pissed me off hardcore. Not only did I feel it was bad writing, but the narration on the audio book was also not to my liking, I feel. On top of that, I pretty much outright HATED all but 2 of the characters. And I found pretty much all of the ultra marines to be insufferable, and written very, very poorly.

For the Emperor on the other hand, just...immediately with the first chapter I could just TELL, that this book was going to be good. It handles things on a far more realistic, well written level. VS some writers which are instantly default to BURN THE HERETIC!! Levels of writing.

There's nuance in this. Gravity to the situations. You can related to the characters. Furthermore, it's done a damned good job of not bashing me over the head with the endless drivel of burn this, purge that, exterminatus everything here levels some of the books have that just immediately turn me away from them.

I can already tell I am going to end up reading the entire series, and likely enjoying every single damned one of the books in it.

Also, there needs to be more Xenos focused books. I'm seriously frustrated that there isn't a narrated Audio Book for the Necrons, for example.
Cain is a delight, easily my fave Warhammer books, but - the writing does get kinda formulaic. Not in a bad way, mind, but it's definitely in the procedural/episodic mold of storytelling where once you figure out the formula you can usually call what's gonna happen in advance. And the writer is very fond (or rather, has decided to write Cain as being very fond) of particular patterns of speech so there's a lot of repeated phrasing.

Again, despite that, I'd rate them as my all-time favorite 40k books. It's been great seeing people pick up on the series thanks to the TTS vid.

Oct 26, 2017
So, with "castle up and shoot them off the board" armies apparently being dead in the new edition, I'm wondering what they're gonna do for T'au in their codex update, since that was kinda their whole thing for at least the last few editions. They don't really have the tools for getting up close now that FLY got nerfed, and besides, their objective securing troops are all pretty bad. Dunno what the gameplan is there.
I've played 2 games of 9th now with my T'au, changing each one up a bit, but sticking with Farsight. I'm struggling on secondaries, no matter what I've tried so far. And it doesn't matter that they removed kill more when there is a secondary objective my opponents are always going to take against me because of my drones that is essentially kill more.

I just want some damn versatility. And make markerlights something that is a nice bonus to have, not that you get murdered for NOT having. I feel like T'au require them to be decent.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've played 2 games of 9th now with my T'au, changing each one up a bit, but sticking with Farsight. I'm struggling on secondaries, no matter what I've tried so far. And it doesn't matter that they removed kill more when there is a secondary objective my opponents are always going to take against me because of my drones that is essentially kill more.

I just want some damn versatility. And make markerlights something that is a nice bonus to have, but that you don't get murdered for NOT having. I feel like T'au require them to be decent.
The shootiest army in the game being pretty terrible at shooting absent markerlights is not great yeah.

What I'd like to see is them further lean into the "T'au are an evolution of modern military" to contrast them with the Imperium drawing from various flavors of history. Small squads, heavily mechanized and mobile. Markerlights should be like you say, a nice bonus for shooting at hard targets, but they shouldn't need them to be effective in regular engagements.

It'd almost be interesting to see them retire the basic non-mech Fire Warrior/Breacher infantry and roll out something between a Stealth Suit and a Crisis Suit as the new default troop option. Jumpjets, variety of weapon loadouts, still squishy but better at shooting and scooting. Get drones back to being buff and extra guns rather than giant piles of ablative Riptide wounds.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

I think the issue is often that it's hard to write Space Marines in a relatable manner as they are often told to be super humans, warrior monks, "above people" and lots of other things that complicates things for most writers.

I very much personally prefer books centered around the Imperial Guard, the Inquisition or the few books I've read so far by Aaron Dembski-Bowden If you'd like some tips I can recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series and the Eisenhorn series by Dan Abnett for some more "regular" human focused stories. As for Space Marines, a must read is the Helsreach and Blood and Fire novels collected in the Armageddon book by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Also by him is Spear of the Emperor that I read recently and loved quite a bit so look into that as well.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thinking of getting back into this in the next month or so after a long hiatus (since 4th edition), once I've cleared my current workload and have more free indoor time in the cooler months. Leaning towards Adeptus Mechanicus now they can be a standalone army since I always liked their aesthetic but never wanted to play IG or Marines.

Are there any good alternatives to Citadel paints, or will it depend on a colour by colour basis? They were expensive back then and certainly no cheaper now, and I've heard Vallejo are pretty good.

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking of getting back into this in the next month or so after a long hiatus (since 4th edition), once I've cleared my current workload and have more free indoor time in the cooler months. Leaning towards Adeptus Mechanicus now they can be a standalone army since I always liked their aesthetic but never wanted to play IG or Marines.

Are there any good alternatives to Citadel paints, or will it depend on a colour by colour basis? They were expensive back then and certainly no cheaper now, and I've heard Vallejo are pretty good.

Vallejo Model Colour is a more cost efficient solution with better bottle and the paint quality for the most part is no different to Citadel. The mediums are even interchangeable. 99% of Citadel colours will have a good enough alternative in Vallejo.

Citadel metallics are better than the standard offerings from Vallejo but Vallejo's Model Air and Metal Color are probably the smoothest acrylic brush on metallics on the market.

The main unique products Citadel offers are their wide variety of washes, contrast paints and effect paints. That being said a lot of people prefer Army Painter's Strong Tone wash over Agrax Earthshade as that wash goes super glossy if you don't make sure the medium and pigment mixes well. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with Army Painter's Strong Tone.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If you do buy citadel paints I'd always recommend buying some empty dropper bottles, flow improver and Pipettes, and transferring the paint to them. It's a hassle initially but the time and effort saved over the long run is worth it.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Also, there needs to be more Xenos focused books.
I recently enjoyed reading the 'War in the Museum' short story, so I'm looking forward to 'The Infinite and the Divine' - sounds like it could be a lot of fun!
Even when they inhabited bodies of flesh, Trazyn the Infinite and Orikan the Diviner were polar opposites. Trazyn, a collector of historical oddities, presides over a gallery full of the most dangerous artefacts - and people - of the galactic past. Orikan, a chronomancer without peer, draws zodiacs that predict and manipulate the future. But when an artefact emerges that may hold the key to the necrons' next evolution, these two obsessives enter a multi-millennia game of cat and mouse that ends civilisations, reshapes timelines, and changes both forever. As riddles unwind and ancient secrets are revealed, the question remains. Will their feud save the necron race, or destroy it?

Set from the end of the Horus Heresy to the time of the Great Rift, The Infinite and the Divine offers unparalleled insight into those lucky few necrons who returned to consciousness well before the Great Awakening and shows what they were up to for all those years while their fellows kept hitting snooze.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Vallejo Model Colour is a more cost efficient solution with better bottle and the paint quality for the most part is no different to Citadel. The mediums are even interchangeable. 99% of Citadel colours will have a good enough alternative in Vallejo.

Citadel metallics are better than the standard offerings from Vallejo but Vallejo's Model Air and Metal Color are probably the smoothest acrylic brush on metallics on the market.

The main unique products Citadel offers are their wide variety of washes, contrast paints and effect paints. That being said a lot of people prefer Army Painter's Strong Tone wash over Agrax Earthshade as that wash goes super glossy if you don't make sure the medium and pigment mixes well. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with Army Painter's Strong Tone.

Perhaps I'll pick up Vallejo for base/highlights a couple of all-rounder Citadel washes then. Just need to figure out some colour schemes I want to try and plan what paints I'll need for those. I'll steer clear of contrast painting or any fancy effects til I'm happier with basic painting technique first. Cheers.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah....sad agree. I've found that the book tie ins for the new editions have been pretty bad in general. Dark Imperium I hated, Indomitus I hated....and also agree on the audiobook version of Indomitus. Ick, get the other guys. Anything tied directly into an edition is usually less sophisticated lol.

I will highly recommend the Night Lords Trilogy, however. I found it to be really good.

Tabletop Simulator has saved my local gaming crew for Warhammer 40k, btw. We're still buying / painting models and such, but actual playing....

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I'm thinking of getting back into Warhammer for the first time since I was a kid (I played around the time the necrons were launching). I have missed a lot.

Im trying to decide what my first steps should be. I've got the Recruit edition and the citadel paint set in my trolley at the moment but I'm wondering if this is the best way to start.

EDIT: I've also got a third mate who might wanna do it, but he wants to play as the Dark Elves. I've got no idea how to make that happen.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Recruit edition looks pretty good as an introduction to the game if that's what you're looking for, not a bad price either:

It doesn't come with the full rulebook however, just rules to get you started. The latest paint sets look pretty decent too.

Next, I'd recommend taking a look at the 'Start Collecting' range of sets and also getting a rulebook. You can probably find the rulebook a bit cheaper on eBay at the moment as people are splitting it out from the recent Indomitus launch set.

New codex books are coming for Space Marines and Necrons in October so I'd hold off getting those until then.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Yeah I've seen those. Problem is : if a mate wanted to play would he also need a codex to work out points values etc or do the modern sets come with data sheets?
Datasheets are in the boxes typically as part of the assembly guides, yes. There are two ways to calculate your army size - there is power rating and points value. Datasheets come with the power ratings printed on them, it is a less granular but faster way of calculating your army size. Power ratings have been updated recently here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/A643OEwxln6ZS8H4.pdf

Points values are found separately and get rebalanced more often than power ratings, and they are favoured for competitive play. The latest points values come with Chapter Approved 2020 which also includes a Matched Play edition of the rulebook (Matched Play is what's used for more balanced and competitive games, this smaller book lifts the Matched Play section out of the larger rulebook and doesn't include the background lore, other ways to play etc from the larger book).

I'd suggest getting the BattleScribe app though, it's a free army builder which has been updated with the latest points values:
battlescribe.net

BattleScribe: Build your army list. Fast.

BattleScribe - A fast and powerful Army List Creator for tabletop wargamers

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
FINALLY done with building indomitus.
I've also tried some basing with sand and some cardboard terrain pieces, I'll check tomorrow if it dries and holds together properly before doing those in bigger batches.

My blue primer should arrive this week, I'll finally be able to start painting my ultramarines !

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay. Cool.

Anyone in the Covid doldrums should learn how to use it. I've played 4 games this week against my buds. It's great and would love to play some of you in Warhammer 40k.
I actually have TTS installed, never even really played it. I should try that to learn the game maybe :D

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

Day 1 for the new Necromunda stuff. I will add it to my pile of shame which consists of everything currently available for the game, about 20 misc characters/ bounty hunters, Shadow War & all Necromunda terrain, and 3D doors from the Reich Busters Kickstarter. Not pictured is all of my stuff from 1.0, which is basically all the content that was available at the time!

Maybe one day I will actually assemble and paint it all or, god forbid, actually play the game!

naaofQ6.jpg

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Let's say I wanted an AdMech colour scheme with yellow robes (not particularly bright or vibrant, but clearly yellow) and darker metallic parts, would I be better off with:
  • Black primer (building the yellow up with a million layers from a brown base instead)?
  • White primer (I don't know how much easier it would be to get a dark metal on white)?
  • Split the difference with grey?
I've got a few colour scheme ideas but, annoyingly enough, the one that sounds the most difficult is the one I'm most enthusiastic about.

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not quite sure pn how to paint my necrons. Are there actual gameplay differences when choosing a dynasty ?

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not quite sure pn how to paint my necrons. Are there actual gameplay differences when choosing a dynasty ?
Dynasties are like SM chapters or T'au septs in that each one usually has a specific rule for gameplay. One (Mephrit Dynasty) allows you to increase your AP at half-distance for example. That being said, if you play casually you should be able to paint your Necrons any colour you'd like and then select the dynasty before a game. I've got brightly-coloured orange and white Necrons and I've run them as Mephrit, Sautekh or even Novokh in the past.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
That's what I did too - made my own dynasty and colour scheme and use whatever dynasty rules I want, it's perfectly fine :)

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm actually curious about paint schemes in more competitive environments. You could certainly bring your "They're painted like Ultramarines but on paper they're Blood Angels" list to the kitchen table, but would you actually get any flak for that at a serious competitive event, as long as the models actually are what you say they are?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually curious about paint schemes in more competitive environments. You could certainly bring your "They're painted like Ultramarines but on paper they're Blood Angels" list to the kitchen table, but would you actually get any flak for that at a serious competitive event, as long as the models actually are what you say they are?
Depends on the tournament rules.

Let's say I wanted an AdMech colour scheme with yellow robes (not particularly bright or vibrant, but clearly yellow) and darker metallic parts, would I be better off with:
  • Black primer (building the yellow up with a million layers from a brown base instead)?
  • White primer (I don't know how much easier it would be to get a dark metal on white)?
  • Split the difference with grey?
I've got a few colour scheme ideas but, annoyingly enough, the one that sounds the most difficult is the one I'm most enthusiastic about.
4 Pink

Some ranges can lift a yellow from white base and metal is a non issue.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Also another question: if I buy the new paints set do I also need to buy some primer? Or can I brush paint on a colour from the set ? Note: I don't wanna do an amazing job, I just wanna dabble.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dynasties are like SM chapters or T'au septs in that each one usually has a specific rule for gameplay. One (Mephrit Dynasty) allows you to increase your AP at half-distance for example. That being said, if you play casually you should be able to paint your Necrons any colour you'd like and then select the dynasty before a game. I've got brightly-coloured orange and white Necrons and I've run them as Mephrit, Sautekh or even Novokh in the past.
These are the upcoming Dynastic Codes rules for 9th edition BTW:
Happy to explain any of those!
Thanks!

I'll look up some colour schemes, either way I'll paint the SM first so I still have some time until I need to make a decision.

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps I'll pick up Vallejo for base/highlights a couple of all-rounder Citadel washes then. Just need to figure out some colour schemes I want to try and plan what paints I'll need for those. I'll steer clear of contrast painting or any fancy effects til I'm happier with basic painting technique first. Cheers.

Just be aware Game Colour has some pretty strange colours. Their Game Color black, for instance, has an extremely glossy finish for whatever reason. You want their Model Colour line.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Datasheets are in the boxes typically as part of the assembly guides, yes. There are two ways to calculate your army size - there is power rating and points value. Datasheets come with the power ratings printed on them, it is a less granular but faster way of calculating your army size. Power ratings have been updated recently here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/A643OEwxln6ZS8H4.pdf

Points values are found separately and get rebalanced more often than power ratings, and they are favoured for competitive play. The latest points values come with Chapter Approved 2020 which also includes a Matched Play edition of the rulebook (Matched Play is what's used for more balanced and competitive games, this smaller book lifts the Matched Play section out of the larger rulebook and doesn't include the background lore, other ways to play etc from the larger book).

I'd suggest getting the BattleScribe app though, it's a free army builder which has been updated with the latest points values:
battlescribe.net

BattleScribe: Build your army list. Fast.

BattleScribe - A fast and powerful Army List Creator for tabletop wargamers

I just want to say this has been really useful for planning my little 500pt list. It's odd that official points numbers aren't so readily available officially without buying codices or units, since without them I don't really know what to buy in the first place.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say this has been really useful for planning my little 500pt list. It's odd that official points numbers aren't so readily available officially without buying codices or units, since without them I don't really know what to buy in the first place.
Didn't GW recently make battlescribe delete point info for v9 ?