• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost done with building my indomitus box and in the meantime I've watched some videos on how to play the game (I'll dive into the core book once I've got the basics).
This made me realize how fucked up it is that you don't know shit about the possibilities of a specific race/army unless you buy the right codex.

I'll probably never play competitive, and tbh I^'m not even sure I'll play that much, but it's still annoying to not be able to know beforehand how the different armies and units are played.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm almost done with building my indomitus box and in the meantime I've watched some videos on how to play the game (I'll dive into the core book once I've got the basics).
This made me realize how fucked up it is that you don't know shit about the possibilities of a specific race/army unless you buy the right codex.

I'll probably never play competitive, and tbh I^'m not even sure I'll play that much, but it's still annoying to not be able to know beforehand how the different armies and units are played.
It's always been this way, I think it just never occured to me as when I was much younger and playing every week, I pretty much picked up what the other factions could do by osmosis over time. Even then I was only really playing the same dozen or so people at the most and didn't need to know everything, and new codexes weren't as common as there were far fewer factions.

These days there's a ton more factions than there used to be, even the number of marine factions with their own distinct rules set has quadrupled, and the game changes much more quickly due to online updates than waiting for published books. I suppose that's why they want you to get the app.

To be honest I've got little interest in competitive games and am likely to just play with my friends a few times a year these days, but I do feel for tournament players that have a ton of books and FAQs to stay on top of. Even when I was a regular WFB tourney player a decade ago it didn't seem quite as much to follow, mainly due to it still really only requiring you to follow the army books that came out a couple of times a year and the most recent FAQ document rather than endless supplements (although the weight of the main rules, manouvering, magic phase etc was a much bigger thing to get your head around than 40k). The publishing schedule for 40k supplements is insanely busy in comparison.

I've been watching the battle reports on Guerilla Miniature Games and 40k in 40 minutes, those have been really fun to watch.

Last edited:

zon

Oct 28, 2017
By friday I have to make a chapter choice. I seek help 40k Era. SO! I can continue my space wolves. The pros are that I have Bjorn and a 5 man intercessor squad painted. Have Wolf Guard Termies half painted that would not see use in any other army. Cons are that painting a new sceme is exciting! With that being said I could also try out new stuff on the wolves (i.e. checker boarding, freehand bullshit, weathering) to keep them interesting without converting.

Dark Angels - I like em! I like Plasma! I can make green look cool! The bad - I hate the way the basic troop looks with their basic colors... I could do a lot of work on them but that is a big ask. If I had lots of DA specific parts this would not be an issue but I don't have them and wont any time soon.

Blood Angels - I love painting red, I love splashes of black. The downside is I have Word Bearers and I love red but 2 red marine armies could lead to massive burnout.

Imperial Fists - I love them sturdy boys lore wise and everything, and I am not scared of yellow, but also fuck yellow. If I did this I would paint them in the pre heresy templars sceme. So little no no red trim, mostly black yellow and white.

If you have suggestions also I would love them! I have posted my instagram in the past which is pantherxmoderns if you want to see my painting "style" have a gander at my 40k stuff!

Thanks if you take the time to help! I will be painting these guys for a good while and intend on sticking to it!

Go Iron Hands, you can make cool supercyborg marines!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
By friday I have to make a chapter choice. I seek help 40k Era. SO! I can continue my space wolves. The pros are that I have Bjorn and a 5 man intercessor squad painted. Have Wolf Guard Termies half painted that would not see use in any other army. Cons are that painting a new sceme is exciting! With that being said I could also try out new stuff on the wolves (i.e. checker boarding, freehand bullshit, weathering) to keep them interesting without converting.

Dark Angels - I like em! I like Plasma! I can make green look cool! The bad - I hate the way the basic troop looks with their basic colors... I could do a lot of work on them but that is a big ask. If I had lots of DA specific parts this would not be an issue but I don't have them and wont any time soon.

Blood Angels - I love painting red, I love splashes of black. The downside is I have Word Bearers and I love red but 2 red marine armies could lead to massive burnout.

Imperial Fists - I love them sturdy boys lore wise and everything, and I am not scared of yellow, but also fuck yellow. If I did this I would paint them in the pre heresy templars sceme. So little no no red trim, mostly black yellow and white.

If you have suggestions also I would love them! I have posted my instagram in the past which is pantherxmoderns if you want to see my painting "style" have a gander at my 40k stuff!

Thanks if you take the time to help! I will be painting these guys for a good while and intend on sticking to it!
Honestly I'd avoid Dark Angels if you don't like painting green infantry, but if that's the only issue and you like the background of the Unforgiven (the collective term for the DAs and their successors) and the rules set, there's always their successors like the Angels of Absolution, Angels of Redemption etc if you like painting bone.
warhammer40k.fandom.com

Angels of Absolution

The Angels of Absolution is a Loyalist Chapter of Space Marines and a Second Founding Successor Chapter of the Dark Angels. However, unlike their fellow Unforgiven, the Angels of Absolution feel that their shame in the eyes of the Emperor of Mankind has already been wiped away and they have...

If you've got an Intercessor squad, Bjorn and a SW termie squad half-painted, I'd probably at least finish the unpainted squad first.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I split the new Elite box with a friend. I know I have an army of Raven Guard and and a Blood Ravens kill team, but it's EMPERORS'S SPEARS TIME, SORORITA!

latest

Oct 28, 2017
No one is stopping you from painting Dark Angels in the Heresy Era scheme, the black armour and metallic red iconography done right looks mean. Great thing about miniatures is that no one is stopping you from painting your models how you want them to look, the Dark Angels Green hasn't been consistent through the ages, same with other chapter colours like Ultramarines.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Heresy Dark Angels are sexy as fuck.
The Forgeworld Color Schemes are so good with the checkers 🤤

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Honestly I'd avoid Dark Angels if you don't like painting green infantry, but if that's the only issue and you like the background of the Unforgiven (the collective term for the DAs and their successors) and the rules set, there's always their successors like the Angels of Absolution, Angels of Redemption etc if you like painting bone.
warhammer40k.fandom.com

Angels of Absolution

The Angels of Absolution is a Loyalist Chapter of Space Marines and a Second Founding Successor Chapter of the Dark Angels. However, unlike their fellow Unforgiven, the Angels of Absolution feel that their shame in the eyes of the Emperor of Mankind has already been wiped away and they have...

If you've got an Intercessor squad, Bjorn and a SW termie squad half-painted, I'd probably at least finish the unpainted squad first.
Yeah I thought about looking at some successor chapters as well! That said having about half an army painted already is certainly a bonus... and getting to actually use stuff I already have.

Oct 26, 2017
(Somewhat disjointed) Warcom article on the new rules.

So Marines are going up to two wounds across the board, basic marines are 18pts now, and a host of weapon improvements. Imperial armies will get the same weapon improvements when the Marine codex hits, but Xenos armies... won't until their codexes are released. Hmm.
I think there will be FAQs to update profiles

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, so a genestealer cult using a Leman Russ or Chaos units using the same weapons as Imperial units benefit from updates to profiles, but Eldar, 'nids, Tau and Orks are at the back of the line.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
What a shake up! My solo/narrative tables just like constant explosions so again I am down, but if I cared AT ALL about how my space toys functioned in competition I would be worried.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I bet! For me it just makes the lore make sense on the table again. I listen to audiobooks more than I paint or play and primaris are RARELY shown as being "better" and most stories just sort of ignore any difference. Also holy shit Deathwatch with 2 wound kill teams...
I suspect the Deathwatch codex, as a supplement of Codex Space Marines, is likely to focus on Primaris kill teams now anyway :D

Still, good news for heavy bolters, and even stuff like IG and Sororitas heavy weapon teams that use them. There's now a far clearer difference between a heavy stubber as an basic anti-infantry heavy weapon and the anti-heavy-infantry effect of a heavy bolter that rapid-fires rocket-propelled shells the size of a large drinks bottle!

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Immortals are going to T5, they haven't had that since the 3rd edition codex! 2 Attacks each and their Gauss Blaster is 30" range!

117720046_10222713074cbjee.jpg

Deathmarks actually resemble snipers now too! BS is 2+!

IlV1kDexihESs1DR.jpg

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sorta feels like GW is going for the "if everything is OP nothing is" school of thought, but that does mean that the armies waiting on codex updates are going to be very weak until they get 'em.

I liked the idea that somebody suggested that GEQ (guard equivalent) units are 1W, MEQ (marine equivalent) are 2W, and TEQ (termie equivalent) are 3W. That feels good and fluffy.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
And Deathmarks also get +1 Toughness *and* their BS goes to a 2+.

I posted elsewhere, but....

I.....am choosing to be optimistic. It seems everything is getting tougher (either through toughness or wounds), melee and melee adjacent stuff is hitting harder, but shooting isn't (ignoring deathmarks as they sucked prior, they still do 1 damage), and the smaller maps......I think I can see what they're going for. They're trying to buff melee while making things last longer / be tougher. The range increases seem to be to give shooting something so melee doesn't roll over them.

So, I THINK I see what they're going for. I don't know if they'll succeed.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
(Somewhat disjointed) Warcom article on the new rules.

So Marines are going up to two wounds across the board, basic marines are 18pts now, and a host of weapon improvements. Imperial armies will get the same weapon improvements when the Marine codex hits, but Xenos armies... won't until their codexes are released. Hmm.
So basically everyone will roll Marines for at least the next year, holy shit.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Not until they get their own codex, they don't.

Edit : Unless I misread? Are Chaos getting a faq before?
Kind of. At the end of the article they said this....

Warhammer Community said:
Bigger Guns and Stabbier Blades for Everyone!
Now, we know that LOTS of armies use these weapons, whether supplied by the Tech-Adepts of Mars or perhaps even "acquired" through less Imperium-friendly means to turn on their former masters. In any case, when Codex: Space Marines arrives in October, every other unit that utilises the same wargear – regardless of Faction – will get their weapon profiles upgraded accordingly.

Alien Weaponry
'But what about my lovely xenos army?' we hear you cry. Don't worry – your weaponry will get the same treatment! While most of their wargear may not be as ubiquitous as the Imperium's mass-produced arsenal, their weapons will also be looked at too, when each of their codexes comes around.

Take the Deathmarks with their synaptic disintegrator, for example. The upcoming statline represents the deadly, physics-bending sniper rifle you would expect it to be.

That screams to me they'll update in the App. It's not specific to a Plague Marine wounds, obviously, so that might not rise yet....but the weapons will.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I definitely read that as the app will be updated when the relevant Codex comes out for Chaos Marine wounds, and not before. Their weapons might get faq-ed if they have Imperial equivalents, but without the points costs adjustments, which again feels a bit of a mess.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. They need to have a rapid release schedule or an Index. People just aren't going to be patient.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
BTW if anyone was wondering, GW is OK with us sharing photos of the assembly guide datasheets (Necron Facebook group admins checked with them), so feel free to post them if you see any 👍🏻

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel sorry for anyone that bought that seeing as a large chunk of it is going to be obsolete in short order

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
man if all marines are going multiwound it kinda sucks for armies that dont have easy/cheap access to damage 2/d3 weapons.

Still haven't managed to start playing yet as work has been busy so my painting has stalled a bit.
Got 2 weeks camping trip coming soon too so ill probably just chip away at some dudes and worry about getting down to the flgs game day/nights once i get back.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
And Deathmarks also get +1 Toughness *and* their BS goes to a 2+.

I posted elsewhere, but....

I.....am choosing to be optimistic. It seems everything is getting tougher (either through toughness or wounds), melee and melee adjacent stuff is hitting harder, but shooting isn't (ignoring deathmarks as they sucked prior, they still do 1 damage), and the smaller maps......I think I can see what they're going for. They're trying to buff melee while making things last longer / be tougher. The range increases seem to be to give shooting something so melee doesn't roll over them.

So, I THINK I see what they're going for. I don't know if they'll succeed.

This leaves me somewhat hopeful for Chaos Daemons. But, historically, GW has never given them much love. I've been around since 2nd edition Warhammer Fantasy as a timestamp range of how long I have been in the hobby, and can recall Demons struggling for a pure demon army in WHFB every new edition, without fail. Never seemed like a priority for them. Same for 40k.

With as weak as Necrons were in 8th, I am cautious about updates. Right now Space Marines dominate almost everything. Almost every battle report I have watched, and have seen, has had Space Marines crushing the opposing army due to the insane combos they can pull rules wise.

The 1st Necron Battle Report I watched of 9th, for example, was just outright frustrating. Seeing the salamander player constantly re-roll both hits and wounds on what seemed to be auto-loop to me. Meanwhile, Necrons had nothing anywhere near close to that. Needless to say, they got CRUSHED.It's gotten to the point now where if the battle report features ANY space marine army, I outright ignore it, because it won't be interesting. Just depressing, in my opinion.

I dunno, all the chatter and everything else right now has Space Marines dominating, and a lot of the player base is pretty frustrated by it. Primaris and all of the releases is just getting nuts, and I wish historically I could say this is new, but it's not new behavior for GW.

Ork players for example, are pretty damned frustrated. Can't say as I blame them.

I was hopeful for 9th edition fixing a lot of issues. I honestly hope that GW is watching things like Reddit and a lot of these battle reports and seeing that there is an actual problem. But the cynical part of me that has been in this hobby for so very, very long, has me skeptical. And I hate being that way.

Guess we'll just have to see how things play out. All I know is I hope they balance things out soon. I remember the days of waiting for Codexes to drop for years on end in some cases. Was not fun.

Oct 26, 2017
This leaves me somewhat hopeful for Chaos Daemons. But, historically, GW has never given them much love. I've been around since 2nd edition Warhammer Fantasy as a timestamp range of how long I have been in the hobby, and can recall Demons struggling for a pure demon army in WHFB every new edition, without fail. Never seemed like a priority for them. Same for 40k.

With as weak as Necrons were in 8th, I am cautious about updates. Right now Space Marines dominate almost everything. Almost every battle report I have watched, and have seen, has had Space Marines crushing the opposing army due to the insane combos they can pull rules wise.

The 1st Necron Battle Report I watched of 9th, for example, was just outright frustrating. Seeing the salamander player constantly re-roll both hits and wounds on what seemed to be auto-loop to me. Meanwhile, Necrons had nothing anywhere near close to that. Needless to say, they got CRUSHED.It's gotten to the point now where if the battle report features ANY space marine army, I outright ignore it, because it won't be interesting. Just depressing, in my opinion.

I dunno, all the chatter and everything else right now has Space Marines dominating, and a lot of the player base is pretty frustrated by it. Primaris and all of the releases is just getting nuts, and I wish historically I could say this is new, but it's not new behavior for GW.

Ork players for example, are pretty damned frustrated. Can't say as I blame them.

I was hopeful for 9th edition fixing a lot of issues. I honestly hope that GW is watching things like Reddit and a lot of these battle reports and seeing that there is an actual problem. But the cynical part of me that has been in this hobby for so very, very long, has me skeptical. And I hate being that way.

Guess we'll just have to see how things play out. All I know is I hope they balance things out soon. I remember the days of waiting for Codexes to drop for years on end in some cases. Was not fun.
What really frustrates me about Space Marines is that is that it turned into a meme how much love they get compared to everyone else...and yet we're 5 billion years past the meme, and it still happens. Does GW truly not see an issue? I know they are a business at the end of the day and need to print money, but it just baffles me. Here we have all these armies that have a 1-3 playstyles and army comps they can be competitive with if they are lucky, then you have Space Marines who have 981980093123. They have no weakness in composition, because they have everything to build an army with.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someone got an up to date citadel > army painter conversion table?

I found some where stuff like corvus black, corax white, retributor armor and so on is missing :(
It's amazing how much cheaper it is.

Oct 28, 2017
Just use a standard black or white, same thing really.

As for Citadel metallics, they're actually unique in their colour, tone and properties. I don't think there's a bronze quite like Balthasar Gold, there's Vallejos that are similar but they're more muted and less "cartoony".

Oct 28, 2017
From memory, this list is pretty decent still for paint comparisons.

Paints aren't always going to be 1:1 because the formulation is always going to be different. Because of that, the finish is not going to be the same (that is to say, some paints dry very matte while others dry with a satin or a more glossy finish). It's a problem whenever Games Workshop changes paint suppliers, I know the recommended paints for Dark Angels have not only changed in colour and tone but also finish.

As for the deltaE numbers, they basically tell you how close they are. Anything 3 or below is basically the same to the naked eye...though don't be too worried about using not completely identical equivalents.

The only time where that is a problem is if you're changing paint brands for whatever reason midway painting an army and desperately need uniforms or chapter colours to stay consistent.

From that list I can confirm Vallejo's Buff is a good replacement for Citadel's Screaming Skull, though that paint loves to seperate.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The 2 wound marine change honesty feels like it impacts Thousand Sons and Death Guard players more than loyalist players. Their marines have a lot synergy opportunities with their marines but they just weren't tough enough to justify spending so much on things to set up opportunities for it to work. From memory 8th Ed had Plague Marines cost more than Intercessors for a large chunk of time, which made no sense.

2 wound Plague Marines, along with things like multi-melts buffs, opens a lot of opportunities like plague surgeons being used more often and blight haulers being taken in packs. Not to mention Blightlord Terminators with flails being even more of a death ball.

Xena

Oct 25, 2017
So, I after debating which space marines chapter to make my indomitus box, I went with salamanders. Here's the first one I have battle ready. Just need to decide on a few details:
I was planning on just using these for crusade games against my Tau, but at the rate that they are making them so disadvantageous to play against the new stuff, I may actually get a few more models when they release. It's surreal that I'll get to experience more than the shooting phase, lol.
Do you guys have any suggestions for salamanders units worth buying?

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
How did you do the metallic effect?
I'm thinking about doing the same for my Dark Angels (that awesome picture in the Rulebook...)

Oct 28, 2017
Can't speak for Xeno but there's a lot of ways to skin that cat.

How Forgeworld does their candy metallic schemes like their Thousand Sons is to prime black -> heavy drybrush of silver -> airbrush of Tamiya Clear Red. The black prime and drybrushing of silver is important as that's how you're going to get most of your definition since its hard to edge highlight Tamiya Clear Red without it looking odd.