• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

Every Salamander when they see a child.

dda.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I do need a chapter to use for my Space Marines. It is between Salamanders and Imperial Fists. Maybe the Salamanders are the goodest of the Space Marines.
It's all relative, but by Imperium standards, they're outright humanitarians.

Probably my favorite thing about them is that when they're not deployed, they don't just spend all their time training or meditating or even doing their Chapter-specific thing (making and maintaining their own weapons and armor). They go down to their homeworld and just... interact with people, in the cities and the villages, out of armor. Visit their families, or their family's descendants. Provide advice or simply talk to regular ass humans.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still deciding what to do with my Primaris Marines, I really want to go Blood Ravens but the more I read into different chapters the more I like Salamanders in terms of Fluff and playstyle.

Now im stuck with 3 Chapters and I really don't want to paint 3 SM armies 😭

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm still deciding what to do with my Primaris Marines, I really want to go Blood Ravens but the more I read into different chapters the more I like Salamanders in terms of Fluff and playstyle.

Now im stuck with 3 Chapters and I really don't want to paint 3 SM armies 😭
Make it four and have them as Deathwatch teams made up from all 3 :D

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017

Don't gimme ideas dude 😁

Played a 500 points match against guard.
Never underestimate the power of a 10 man guard squad at this point level.
32 shots lasguns with rerollable 1 are no joke. 3 of them are right frightening.

My Skitarii squads died in 2 turns, pteraxii got crisped as well and chimera with 3 Bullgryns terrorized the whole board.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Well, I do need a chapter to use for my Space Marines. It is between Salamanders and Imperial Fists. Maybe the Salamanders are the goodest of the Space Marines.
Vulkan DID burn a whole planet because the primitive population there were worshipping the Eldar as godlike people.
BUT he did feel pretty bad about it afterwards and vowed to protect the planet against anything and everything.
After it was burnt to a crisp.

So, you know, "40k good".

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't gimme ideas dude 😁

Played a 500 points match against guard.
Never underestimate the power of a 10 man guard squad at this point level.
32 shots lasguns with rerollable 1 are no joke. 3 of them are right frightening.

My Skitarii squads died in 2 turns, pteraxii got crisped as well and chimera with 3 Bullgryns terrorized the whole board.
I used to play as Imperial Guard (I had the Armageddon Steel Legion minis), and loved to play small games, as you kinda round out really well early on. I'd often be up against marine forces consisting of a couple of squads, a piece of armour and a character, but I'd have an infantry platoon or two, maybe a heavy weapon platoon and a couple of tanks. Generally the bigger the game got, the worse I did as enemy assault troops made it into combat in larger numbers, and I had so many units that they got in each other's way given the rules at the time where you couldn't shoot through allied minis.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017

That's why I went deathwatch, couldn't decided. And it's fun to pain different left shoulder pads. Gives you a bit of a thematic backstore on each chapter they came from.

For an example, I've made my melee models from the Space Wolves or Blood Angels. If they have plasma they are Dark Angels etc.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope, HOPE, the new multi melta rules are for all the space marine multi meltas.

IT MAKES THE STORMWOLF AWESOME!
two TWIN MULTI MELTAS, for the LOW LOW COST OF 350 POINTS

8 MULTI MELTA D6+2 Dam HITS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
Vulkan DID burn a whole planet because the primitive population there were worshipping the Eldar as godlike people.
BUT he did feel pretty bad about it afterwards and vowed to protect the planet against anything and everything.

Let the galaxy burn! To provide warmth for our human friends.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Like I said... it's all relative.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Ah damn, I had a chance to buy those earlier when they were in stock but I procrastinated.
I wasn't sure what would be in an Underworlds themed box, just Beastgrave stuff?
Be curious to see what they were when people get them.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
I would have pulled the trigger on the asset box if it was available in the US. I know it has to be old kits or possibly kits that are being replaced shortly but I have a lot of fun just collecting/painting. I think the only thing i'd be upset getting is old space marines... which it could easily be.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would have pulled the trigger on the asset box if it was available in the US. I know it has to be old kits or possibly kits that are being replaced shortly but I have a lot of fun just collecting/painting. I think the only thing i'd be upset getting is old space marines... which it could easily be.
To be fair virtually anything you get you can stick on eBay as new and get most of it's value back, hard to lose out with those boxes as long as you're prepared to sell bits on.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
True. They make it seem like it won't be often which makes me think it'll be when they have too much stock or something isn't moving. If it's stuff that can be used in games then the value will always be there. If it's stuff that is being phased out like old marines then not as much. GW ain't known for sales. They're known for putting stuff in a 1-click bundle and saving you time, not money.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
i could have got one but 225 bucks (aus) is a wee bit much for a mystery box.

a smaller one or maybe if i wasn't just starting out i might have givin it a harder look.

oh cool they finally put a release date for the necrounda game, right in the middle of my 2 week camping trip i got planned XD

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair virtually anything you get you can stick on eBay as new and get most of it's value back, hard to lose out with those boxes as long as you're prepared to sell bits on.

I almost think it's going to be a whole load of garbage like old tactical marines, terminators and bikes, stuff that people don't really buy anymore and don't come with useful bits. I don't really trust Games Workshop to include anything that would eventually sell.

I was tempted by the box but I think there's a decent risk of being saddled with stuff you don't want and can't get rid of easily. A set that would sell would be chapter specific boxes but I know for a fact that chapter specific boxes still sell relatively decently if only because of the parts in kits like the Ravenwing command squad. That stuff is in crazy demand for Primaris Outriders right now.

The bits market is a bit odd in that some stuff just flies off the shelves at crazy prices while other stuff literally no one wants unless you hand it to them for free. I've been looking at my eBay stats and there's like no interest in the Overlord or Skorpekh Lord, while everything else in the Indomitus box got interest immediately.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Now that would be an explosion of outrage to make the Age of Sigmar release look like a firecracker :D

Fine cast was so bad.

They might have sorted a few of the many initial problems and improved the recipe slightly over the years, but every time I've purchased a finecast miniatures there's been issues, several of which I had to return.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They might have sorted a few of the many initial problems and improved the recipe slightly over the years, but every time I've purchased a finecast miniatures there's been issues, several of which I had to return.
Yeah like many things the response was a little much, but to be fair GW badged it as a premium product, both in name and price.

I got into the habit of only buying finecast kits in person from the shop, so that I could open it in front of them for a zero-hassle replacement. I once bought a monster kit where I had to take parts from the three they had in stock to make one kit of pieces that weren't misshapen or broken on the sprue. I've been playing war games for well over 30 years, I have no problem with heating to re-shape resin, trimming, filing, sanding, filling, pinning metal kits, I invested in a Dremel years ago as I quite enjoy the quiet (or, well, not so quiet!) satisfaction of working a kit into the best result before I paint it. It's part of the hobby for me. But Finecast was easily the worst material they've used, and I say that as someone that used to spend their Saturday job every January pinning the metal wings of the metal monsters little Timmy got for Christmas, after he brought them into the shop in a heap of superglue and broken bits and floods of tears :D

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like many things the response was a little much, but to be fair GW badged it as a premium product, both in name and price.

I got into the habit of only buying finecast kits in person from the shop, so that I could open it in front of them for a zero-hassle replacement. I once bought a monster kit where I had to take parts from the three they had in stock to make one kit of pieces that weren't misshapen or broken on the sprue. I've been playing war games for well over 30 years, I have no problem with heating to re-shape resin, trimming, filing, sanding, filling, pinning metal kits, I invested in a Dremel years ago as I quite enjoy the quiet (or, well, not so quiet!) satisfaction of working a kit into the best result before I paint it. It's part of the hobby for me. But Finecast was easily the worst material they've used, and I say that as someone that used to spend their Saturday job every January pinning the metal wings of the metal monsters little Timmy got for Christmas, after he brought them into the shop in a heap of superglue and broken bits and floods of tears :D

For Middle Earth (my only experience of finecast) it's all direct only, so there's no way to sort issues on the day instore. GW seems to have kept hold of the original metal molds, as some Middle Earth lines have gone metal --> finecast --> metal, but a lot of the range is still stuck in resin.
I've had to swap one kit twice, another I had to clip away bendy spears, buy third party plastic spear replacements, and in the future I'll have to drill out the hands and put the new ones in, using greenstuff to fix any lost detail. It's a shame the metal versions are so expensive second hand!

Metal can be a bit of a pain using multiple pins for larger kits, but it's a much more consistent material to work with.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
For Middle Earth (my only experience of finecast) it's all direct only, so there's no way to sort issues on the day instore. GW seems to have kept hold of the original metal molds, as some Middle Earth lines have gone metal --> finecast --> metal, but a lot of the range is still stuck in resin.
I've had to swap one kit twice, another I had to clip away bendy spears, buy third party plastic spear replacements, and in the future I'll have to drill out the hands and put the new ones in, using greenstuff to fix any lost detail. It's a shame the metal versions are so expensive second hand!

Metal can be a bit of a pain using multiple pins for larger kits, but it's a much more consistent material to work with.
Yeah, I agree entirely. Most of the bigger problems with top-heavy kits (huge wings, multi-part dragon bodies etc) were easily fixed with pinning, but the one I often found annoying just because you couldn't pin it piece by piece to eventually fix it was tank top plates. Back when they were a plastic Rhino/Chimera and metal add-ons, so the original razorback, whirlwind, some of the early Predator variants etc. If you got a warped/miscast top plate, that was it, no rotating the turret in games for you :D At least back then you could order the single part you needed from the factory though, and they were often pretty cool about it if you rang them up and explained the problem.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree entirely. Most of the bigger problems with top-heavy kits (huge wings, multi-part dragon bodies etc) were easily fixed with pinning, but the one I often found annoying just because you couldn't pin it piece by piece to eventually fix it was tank top plates. Back when they were a plastic Rhino/Chimera and metal add-ons, so the original razorback, whirlwind, some of the early Predator variants etc. If you got a warped/miscast top plate, that was it, no rotating the turret in games for you :D At least back then you could order the single part you needed from the factory though, and they were often pretty cool about it if you rang them up and explained the problem.

Metal add ons for plastic tank bodies. That's a flashback right there!

I think the first tank kit I ever got was a Leman Russ Demolisher that was missing one of the metal components, meaning I had to return it, and never got to actually build one myself!
The days when you could order individual parts from GW were incredible. Probably ridiculously expensive from their perspective of holding stock & keeping inventories, but very nice for the customer!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Metal add ons for plastic tank bodies. That's a flashback right there!

I think the first tank kit I ever got was a Leman Russ Demolisher that was missing one of the metal components, meaning I had to return it, and never got to actually build one myself!
The days when you could order individual parts from GW were incredible. Probably ridiculously expensive from their perspective of holding stock & keeping inventories, but very nice for the customer!
I visited the factory once as staff, back when you could do so and wander around with a box. Found so many weird oddities hidden away!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Sad to realise I'm probbaly gonna be shelving my 90+ Guardsmen and characters this edition.

i could have got one but 225 bucks (aus) is a wee bit much for a mystery box.

a smaller one or maybe if i wasn't just starting out i might have givin it a harder look.

I'm of this opinion as well. I'd have a better time considering it if it weren't so expensive. That's what I expect to pay for a superheavy.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are we talking supermarket sweep here wandering around with a box?

Yeah, as staff you could go pick what you wanted then pay for it on lead weight. All the metal pieces were in hundress little bins about the size of a shoebox for each specific one they sold. So if you wanted 30 of 'Mephiston's right arm' you could do that! This was over ~23 years ago though

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Selling up? Or something else?

Nah, I have a special box for infantry. They're just gonna stay in there unless I specifically wanna play a friendly fun match. Things change every edition. They were top tier in the first half of 8th. They might be too tier in 10th again.

Guardsmen just get shot off the table, and Marines can delete turn 1 anything I have that can kill marines.

My plan is 3 transports, each with five Scions and a ogryn bodyguard.

This edition is shaping up to be a massive fuck up fumble on all fronts so far

The edition is better in my opinion, it's that marines are just insane at the moment to the point where taking Guardsmen are now a liability. The Eradicators can delete things twice their value turn 1.

And you can't ignore marines cus everyone takes them now.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I have a special box for infantry. They're just gonna stay in there unless I specifically wanna play a friendly fun match. Things change every edition. They were top tier in the first half of 8th. They might be too tier in 10th again.

Guardsmen just get shot off the table, and Marines can delete turn 1 anything I have that can kill marines.

My plan is 3 transports, each with five Scions and a ogryn bodyguard.

The edition is better in my opinion, it's that marines are just insane at the moment to the point where taking Guardsmen are now a liability. The Eradicators can delete things twice their value turn 1.

And you can't ignore marines cus everyone takes them now.
That's the problem. Way to many Marines that are just better than everything +12.

Even better than other Marines. At super cheap prices.

A squad of 3 eradicators needs to be like 155-195 points

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That's the problem. Way to many Marines that are just better than everything +12.

Even better than other Marines. At super cheap prices.

A squad of 3 eradicators needs to be like 155-195 points

That and the Eradicators need to be Heavy honestly. Assault and 3 shot with their range, they can pretty much hit vehicles all the way at the back of your deployment zone turn 1.

If you're playing marines you're nerfing yourself by not taking them.