• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think I may have said this before but the Aggressors are such dissapointing minis. They are badass but then they go and make the most boring posing imaginable to man and xenos alike. Ditto with the dual-wielding jetpack dudes and the ones with the giant autocannons.
Agree. They are tooled up with weaponry, but they just look like they are stumbling forward. I'd have loved to have seen one firing with both weapons at the same target, or even looking like they are about to punch someone etc. They are loaded out with so much stuff and just one of them looks like he's half-heartedly waving one of his weapons vaguely towards the enemy.

This is the downside of monopose kits that actively make it hard to pose any other way- the cables on the Agressors and the way they loop and connect to the backpack in a single way means you literally can't have the arms in any other pose.

Oct 25, 2017
Agree. They are tooled up with weaponry, but they just look like they are stumbling forward. I'd have loved to have seen one firing with both weapons at the same target, or even looking like they are about to punch someone etc. They are loaded out with so much stuff and just one of them looks like he's half-heartedly waving one of his weapons vaguely towards the enemy.

This is the downside of monopose kits that actively make it hard to pose any other way- the cables on the Agressors and the way they loop and connect to the backpack in a single way means you literally can't have the arms in any other pose.

i didn't realise that the Aggressors kit was so limited in posing! Explains why I've never came across many conversions!

Oct 26, 2017
I had my first 9th edition game yesterday. I brought Tau vs Necrons.

Farsight Enclave
2 Commanders, 2 Maker Drones each
6 Breacher Teams. 1 Guardian Drone, 1 Shield drone each
2 Riptides
3 Tactical Drone Squads of 5 Marker Drones each
5 Crisis Suits (CIB)

Some positives? I loved Farsight sept more than I thought I would. Treating anything within 12" as having 1 markerlight, and re-rolling wounds with 6", helped me more often than I expected, especially since I was trying to be mobile and I had thinks in my face frequently. This was my first time using Crisis Suits, and holy moly, cyclic ion blasters are disgusting how powerful they are. However, that was nothing compared to bringing an iridium suit with reactive countermeasures to make one suit have a 2+ save that treated all -1 and -2 AP as 0. They soaked up tons, and tons of infantry fire, and I only ever lost 1. This was my first time using Breacher Teams as well, and while I really liked being able to shoot 6 STR -2 AP 1 damage shots from infantry, they really didn't accomplish too much. My Riptides were clearing the field of big things that needed a stronger gun anyway, so my Breachers ended up shooting at infantry mostly. I really would've preferred volume of shots from standard Firewarriors. Next time, I'll have more of a mix.

Now to the negatives, or rather, thee negative. I did terrible at secondary objectives. I did fine at the primary, but I couldn't decide on any worthwhile secondaries, and even after the match, I can't figure out what I should have taken. I really hope we get more, because by the end of the 3rd round, I had 9 points total from secondary missions. I took the secondary from the mission, which I was scoring on no problem. But then I took one of them (Linebreaker, I think?) and managed it for a single turn only, and raise the banner, which I managed once. Morale wiped infantry raising the flag in one spot right before they could finish. I did succeed in another spot, but he swarmed it a turn after and cleared my flag. It was rough.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
i didn't realise that the Aggressors kit was so limited in posing! Explains why I've never came across many conversions!
Yeah, it's the power and ammunition cables- they obviously have to plug into the backpack and gauntlet at specific points and are rigid (as well as a bit of a pain to assemble) so you can't do any other pose with the arms. I guess you can swap the arms around between kits, but that's it. Not being able to swivel at the waist on modern kits really limits you as well. If you want 6 Aggressors the second group are gonna be in the same poses as the first. It's crazy considering how flexible the plastic Terminator kits ended up being, but it's the same across a pile of both the Primaris and Sisters kits I've built.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's the power and ammunition cables- they obviously have to plug into the backpack and gauntlet at specific points and are rigid (as well as a bit of a pain to assemble) so you can't do any other pose with the arms. I guess you can swap the arms around between kits, but that's it. Not being able to swivel at the waist on modern kits really limits you as well. If you want 6 Aggressors the second group are gonna be in the same poses as the first. It's crazy considering how flexible the plastic Terminator kits ended up being, but it's the same across a pile of both the Primaris and Sisters kits I've built.

This. Terminators are AMAZING in their setups and poses. No joke I bought an assault box and a regular box of them just because how cool ot felt to setup the Termies from the Black Reach box.

Oct 25, 2017

Damn. You would have thought they'd have included multiple cables of different lengths/sizes. Non swiveling bodies as well? Baffling.
I'll avoid that kit when I look to expand my Indomitus force.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's the least flexible GW kit I've put together since 2nd edition to be honest. Basically 'you have a choice for a different gun'. I get why they design them the way they do, so you can have cables and cloth sitting at correct angles, but lack of possibility kills my enthusiasm. That you have more options in stance for something like a knight or a dreadnought than for a heavy weapon infantryman feels really weird, putting them together, posing and kitbashing is part of the fun, but this kit was just 'yeah, follow the instructions, no other way can work'.

I'm trying to stick to Primaris only (have painted my fill of marines in mk6/7 armour over the years!) over the years but this was disappointing. Hilariously, even the easy-to-build, push-fit, monopose kits from Indomitus are easier to kitbash than the Aggressors :D

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Are CSM ever supposed to get new Obliterator kits? I have the 2 from the Shadowspear set, but I would like at least one more to make a full unit. Can you even get a Venomcrawler seperate?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
GW is so weird with their box exclusive models like that and the SM characters. If they only have an easy to build version they should just go ahead and release those as a separate box anyway.
Basically they have to plan it out ahead of time- you could see with Indomitus which models would be released again in later sets just by looking at the sprues. I don't get why the sprues aren't planned out to be broken down easily so that individual kits of the larger and character models, I.e, the stuff people might want one of, can be ordered from the website. It matters less for marines when they've made more lieutenant kits than they have entire kits for some factions in years.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I think I may have said this before but the Aggressors are such dissapointing minis. They are badass but then they go and make the most boring posing imaginable to man and xenos alike. Ditto with the dual-wielding jetpack dudes and the ones with the giant autocannons.

Similar situation with Tempestus Scions. None of them are aiming their weapons and it annoys me. But with them at least I can cut off the tubes and the guns still have magazines, so I use a knife to cut bits and change them into different poses.

If you don't mind cutting off the aggressors magazine rack things you could probably use a hobby knife to reposition the arms at the shoulders and have them pointing forward.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You could probably get a little bit of plastic or rubber tubing and get it glued in place of the inflexible molded stuff, tbh.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good idea for those, but the ammo feeds are a bigger problem
Hmm

If I were a crazy person with too much free time on my hands and a 3D printer (2 outta 3 ain't quite enough), I'd model up the, well, models sans feeds, alter the poses as desired, re-model the ammo feeds to fit the new poses, and print them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hmm

If I were a crazy person with too much free time on my hands and a 3D printer (2 outta 3 ain't quite enough), I'd model up the, well, models sans feeds, alter the poses as desired, re-model the ammo feeds to fit the new poses, and print them.
Just to illustrate and show off my newly painted squad leader :D Yeah I wish I had the talent to do that
4Xtn3l.jpeg

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Basically they have to plan it out ahead of time- you could see with Indomitus which models would be released again in later sets just by looking at the sprues. I don't get why the sprues aren't planned out to be broken down easily so that individual kits of the larger and character models, I.e, the stuff people might want one of, can be ordered from the website. It matters less for marines when they've made more lieutenant kits than they have entire kits for some factions in years.

I agree you'd think it wouldn't be that difficult to alter the sprues. I mean you have to retool the lines when you switch from easy to build to full multi-part kits anyway.

Just to illustrate and show off my newly painted squad leader :D Yeah I wish I had the talent to do that

Nice highlighting! What white are you using? I'm still rocking white scar white but I find it too clumpy and then turns chalky when it dries on any sort of detail.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nice highlighting! What white are you using? I'm still rocking white scar white but I find it too clumpy and then turns chalky when it dries on any sort of detail.
I'm the same, I've still got an old pot of white scar but it is indeed too powdery. I water it down a lot and do tons of coats. For the DA symbol I basecoat with Fenris Grey and go up from there.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
But ya, white scar always dries out fast as heck for me aswell
When I got back into painting last year, I did a check of all my old paints that hadn't seen use in a decade or so, and ended up throwing 3/4 of them away. One of my surviving paints was a pot of the original Rotting Flesh colour, a sort of green-grey, that has been with me for 20+ years and is still perfectly usable :D

From 1998, and still going strong! I remember when they brought in the base and layer system after that. This pot painted my original death guard army. I'd use this, then a custom mix of chestnut/green/yellow wash, all slathered over them!
oyP5GE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The new Praetorians/Lychguard assembly guide uses icons instead of the usual stat line (and looks like Lychguard and Praetorians are getting a buff too):
117170886_1022352760399k7c.jpg

However these have appeared as well, which aren't using the little icons:
received_29743480147y7jkk.jpeg

received_31947765372oejdr.jpeg

Edit: I just noticed this is already covered in the free rules PDF, in the section I usually skip these days 😄

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I'm wondering if it's because the assembly guides are usually multilingual - maybe they're using the icons instead of printing stat lines multiple times?

Another 9th edition box assembly guide spotted:
116884515_3713611865379kk2.jpg

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the Cosmonaut Variety Hour on Warhammer, and now I own Indomitus.

I still have a hive tyrant to paint and no one to play with. Oop.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I haven't even finished building my Indomitus SM, I was looking at ways to expand the army.
But now I'm wondering, Are there any models that are completely outdated and won't be playable in V9 ? I've heard in some video that some older stuff is getting shelved soon, but what exactly those models are is pure speculation.

I guess we'll only know once the codex comes out in october, right?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Even though I haven't even finished building my Indomitus SM, I was looking at ways to expand the army.
But now I'm wondering, Are there any models that are completely outdated and won't be playable in V9 ? I've heard in some video that some older stuff is getting shelved soon, but what exactly those models are is pure speculation.

I guess we'll only know once the codex comes out in october, right?
I very much doubt any of the non-Primaris marines are getting shelved this edition. With the fiction still very much focused on the Indomitus Crusade, in which integrating Primaris into existing chapters is a big thing, I think we're still in a transitional phase.

Even then, its rare for old models to not be supported in some way, most of the miniatures since second edition are still usable in some way, shape or form. But the way Primaris have pretty much gained a replacement for everything bar Terminators inside of 3 years is uncharted waters. By 11th edition I could see the older marine units just existing as data sheets on the app and as a list in the back of new codexes, as the sheer practicality of supporting 30+ characters and 60+ units in both the books and stores isn't likely to hold for long.

So, yeah, I don't expect them to disappear in the next five years or so (not when so many key chapter masters and characters are still non-primaris at the moment etc). But you can see how the old marines are never at the front of photos any more. I would advise anyone starting a marine force to just focus on the Primaris kits these days unless they really prefer the old ones.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I very much doubt any of the non-Primaris marines are getting shelved this edition. With the fiction still very much focused on the Indomitus Crusade, in which integrating Primaris into existing chapters is a big thing, I think we're still in a transitional phase.

Even then, its rare for old models to not be supported in some way, most of the miniatures since second edition are still usable in some way, shape or form. But the way Primaris have pretty much gained a replacement for everything bar Terminators inside of 3 years is uncharted waters. By 11th edition I could see the older marine units just existing as data sheets on the app and as a list in the back of new codexes, as the sheer practicality of supporting 30+ characters and 60+ units in both the books and stores isn't likely to hold for long.

So, yeah, I don't expect them to disappear in the next five years or so (not when so many key chapter masters and characters are still non-primaris at the moment etc). But you can see how the old marines are never at the front of photos any more. I would advise anyone starting a marine force to just focus on the Primaris kits these days unless they really prefer the old ones.
Is there some easy way to distinguish between primaris and non-primaris ? I want some of those mechas, but I don't think it's mentioned if those are primaris units or not.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is there some easy way to distinguish between primaris and non-primaris ? I want some of those mechas, but I don't think it's mentioned if those are primaris units or not.
Size, usually :D The Redemptor Is the standard Primaris dreadnought, and the Invictor is a Primaris unit too.

The 'basic' dreadnought, venerable dreadnought, contemptor etc are all older kits.

I'd say old dreadnoughts are likely to be the last thing to be removed though, they are chapter relics (particularly the Contemptor), it's not like it's a full marine inside it anymore anyway, and grumpy old dreads are too cool to be sidelined :D

Bjorn the Fellhanded, the Space Wolf character dreadnought that was the first sculpt of the still-available older style, is likely to get a new bigger model one day though, as he's too popular not to, and also one of the few living links outside of the Primarchs that the Imperium still has to the HH. When you've been in multiple novels across both settings, led the chapter and have been a cornerstone of every SW codex since the first ever 40k one nearly 30 years back, you're kinda not gonna be sidelined easily. I wonder if they'll just connect his sarcophagus up to a Redemptor chassis and find out he's perfectly fine with it due to sheer force of will :D

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Size, usually :D The Redemptor Is the standard Primaris dreadnought, and the Invictor is a Primaris unit too.

The 'basic' dreadnought, venerable dreadnought, contemptor etc are all older kits.

I'd say old dreadnoughts are likely to be the last thing to be removed though, as it's not like it's a full marine inside it anymore anyway, and grumpy old dreads are too cool to be sidelined :D

Bjorn the Fellhanded, the Space Wolf character dreadnought that was the first sculpt of the still-available older style, is likely to get a new bigger model one day though, as he's too popular not to, and also one of the few living links outside of the Primarchs that the Imperium still has to the HH. When you've been in multiple novels across both settings, led the chapter and have been a cornerstone of every SW codex since the first ever 40k one nearly 30 years back, you're kinda not gonna be sidelined easily. I wonder if they'll just connect his sarcophagus up to a Redemptor chassis and find out he's perfectly fine with it due to sheer force of will :D
The venerable dreadnought looks so cool :o
I might get a redemptor then, I don't like the look of the invictor that much.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The venerable dreadnought looks so cool :o
I might get a redemptor then, I don't like the look of the invictor that much.
I've got my eye on one of them once Ive painted the Indomitus set too, I prefer walkers to tanks. I used to spend hours painting heraldry and banners on my old dreadnoughts, the concept is both so horrific in a body-horror sense and also evocative of both marines and the Imperium as a whole that they are one of my favourite units.

A bit like stuff like the Sororitas Exorcist, and most of the Eldar and Ork walkers too, they all sum up lots of key elements about the factions in one centrepiece, and so often end up as my favourites.

Less keen on the Primaris tanks as they just look like a mishmash of ideas to me. It's got some Imperial elements but is very 'tacticool'. It's heavy and boxy but hovers. A bit like most of the modern Imperial fliers. I really like the design of the original Thunderbolt fighter and Valkyrie, as they are kinda evocative of WWII fighters and modern helicopter gunships respectively, they seem timeless. But almost all the modern marine fliers just look like a mess to me, and if I don't like a kit I'm unlikely to paint it or ever field it over my favourites :D

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just me or is 9th edition really refreshing and a joy to play?
Haven't touched 8th for a year or so because even though it wasnt a bad game, it felt static and "who can get more Dakka to the game"

Now with 9th and the focus on objectives I enjoy list building way more and smaller sized games are a lot of fun to play.
I can see myself playing the game more often and outside of the standard 2000 points game because if the different missions for every game size and the shift to a more agile game (Dread lists, yay!)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Haven't touched 8th for a year or so because even though it wasnt a bad game, it felt static and "who can get more Dakka to the game"

Now with 9th and the focus on objectives I enjoy list building way more and smaller sized games are a lot of fun to play.
I can see myself playing the game more often and outside of the standard 2000 points game because if the different missions for every game size and the shift to a more agile game (Dread lists, yay!)
It does seem really elegant comparatively, objectives is so much more interesting narratively and gives more choices to make in games. Hold point A or advance? Do I put a damaged unit on it as they are less useful on the attack now, or a stronger unit that can't be shifted as easily?

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

Yeah I much prefer playing for objectives than having a shooting match, I'm excited to try out a lot of different things in 9th. Looking forward to seeing how all the new Necron toys mix things up too.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably play my first 9th game this week (I really should read the rulebook soon XD), as we have started a Crusade campaign in my club. It will also be my first game with Custodes (and at 25 PL no less, fun times squeezing three units there). But the objective game get's me quite interested compared with 8th, yeah. That's actually one* of the best parts of Epic, how you can kick someone in the ass without killing him, just going for the objectives.

*The other is how you don't throw a gazillion dice each time anything attacks, and everything still dies FAST. Honestly, Epic feels to me like a better 40k game than 40k :P

Last edited: