• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Grey knights are supposedly being shifted to online only atm.

Sounds lovely ke they have a full primaris range for them coming within 12-14 months

For old marine wolves.
Everything old marine, including t wolves will be retired within 24 months imho.

The price hikes (in-game point wise) are the first sign they are being either replaced or removed.

Only kit from wolves that is 100% safe is wulfen, as those were retooled to be primaris scale, and rep both.

Personally.

I want twolves without riders and just call them fenrisian thunder wolves.

Give them similar stats as t wolves, but also give them handlers that run/fly next to them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Grey knights are supposedly being shifted to online only atm.

Sounds lovely ke they have a full primaris range for them coming within 12-14 months
Yeah that sounds very plausible. I bet they'll look ace too. The range is largely metal and it's about time they moved to plastic. Can see them really expanding them too, especially as the biggest change with the marine codices is the huge boost the Deathwatch armoury is going to get. Good times ahead for both factions.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Grey Knights Terminators were my favourite minis for a while (still think they look good, though they have that overly wide leg stance thing going on which I find more noticeable these days), but the power armour Grey Knights never did it for me.

Really would like to see some new Primaris Deathwatch minis too.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Any thoughts on how to build the Necron warriors? I have 30 of the old warriors with the ol' rod gauss flayer so i'm leaning towards building the new gauss reaper. Should have all the Necrons built today and will start airbrushing tomorrow.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Any thoughts on how to build the Necron warriors? I have 30 of the old warriors with the ol' rod gauss flayer so i'm leaning towards building the new gauss reaper. Should have all the Necrons built today and will start airbrushing tomorrow.
I plan to have 40 of each in my collection, just so I have the option for 2 full squads of either weapon. If you run Sautekh Dynasty, the Gauss Reaper could be pretty good - one of their abilities in the next codex allows them to Rapid Fire at up to 18" (so that would allow Rapid Fire for the full 14" range of the Reaper, instead of just 7").

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Curious how they handle the Grey Knights lorewise. They've already got supposedly "perfect" geneseed, and the Psyker thing. Cawl can't exactly get his hands on them. Wonder if they'll invent some new Inquisition character who cribs his notes to make Primaris GK, or if they just end up doing scaled up models with the new toys and saying GK were always that big or what.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Curious how they handle the Grey Knights lorewise. They've already got supposedly "perfect" geneseed, and the Psyker thing. Cawl can't exactly get his hands on them. Wonder if they'll invent some new Inquisition character who cribs his notes to make Primaris GK, or if they just end up doing scaled up models with the new toys and saying GK were always that big or what.
Grey Knight recruitment is so weird that it's going to be really interesting how they bring such a large influx in so quickly.

Whenever codices are published, the questions 'what's changing for my force' and 'what cool new minis' are totally understandable to be the main questions. But what really interested me in the promo video for the new codices was the focus on 'all-new lore.' Codices haven't always done that before, they often rehash the timeline of key events, fill in a few gaps etc, but I'm excited for the idea that this is really going to take every faction forwards along the lines of what Black Library authors have said- exploring the indomitus era with a bigger link between the novels and the wargame.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Grey Knight recruitment is so weird that it's going to be really interesting how they bring such a large influx in so quickly.

Whenever codices are published, the questions 'what's changing for my force' and 'what cool new minis' are totally understandable to be the main questions. But what really interested me in the promo video for the new codices was the focus on 'all-new lore.' Codices haven't always done that before, they often rehash the timeline of key events, fill in a few gaps etc, but I'm excited for the idea that this is really going to take every faction forwards along the lines of what Black Library authors have said- exploring the indomitus era with a bigger link between the novels and the wargame.

You would think with Grey Knights they wouldn't be Primarised, and instead just given new, bigger, better sculpts. Back in reality though I imagine GW will have some convoluted plot of how the Grey Knights were speaking to Cawl behind the scenes and have been working on Primaris Grey Knights themselves for some time to "combat the demons of this new age" blah blah blah.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Kinda makes sense it'll be something big given they'll need to refresh a large portion of the range all at the same time. I expect we'll see a GK Primaris redemptor dreadnought as the big kit to go with the range refresh, along with a couple new infantry units and access to all Primaris tanks.

I had a squad of GKs in the early 90s, long before the modern range. They've always fascinated me, even if, like Harlequins and Deathwatch, I've always thought they kinda work better in the setting as elite squads doing specific very-cool stuff rather than company-strength. Having said that, 100 Grey Knights vs Angron is one of their biggest lore moments and man is that cool. I read The Emperor's Gift a while back and nearly started a GK force on the spot :D

Oct 25, 2017
I always like the approach GW took with Codex Daemon Hunters in 3rd or 4th edition- a core of Grey Knights on the roster along with Inquisitors and various henchmen and acolytes- the latter in particular had some amazing sculpts and potential for conversions.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I always like the approach GW took with Codex Daemon Hunters in 3rd or 4th edition- a core of Grey Knights on the roster along with Inquisitors and various henchmen and acolytes- the latter in particular had some amazing sculpts and potential for conversions.
Yeah I liked that too, I love all the wacky acolytes the inquisition bring

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Cawl steals some Grey Knights, works on them then returns them to Titan, the GKs gladly ask for more.

That's totally what happened.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Bladeguards are a cool model, and also tasty conversion fodder.

1kAEnbU.png

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
Sick conversions!

I just want some new Tyranid stuff. It has been a very long time, ant it seems to be one of the more popular armies. At least, whenever I see some for sale on used sites, there are always loads of bites about them where there aren't always for things like Space Marines.

If I'm wishful thinking, Tyranid faction for Aeronautica and a revamp of Battlefleet Gothic.

Oct 25, 2017
Sick conversions!

I just want some new Tyranid stuff. It has been a very long time, ant it seems to be one of the more popular armies. At least, whenever I see some for sale on used sites, there are always loads of bites about them where there aren't always for things like Space Marines.

If I'm wishful thinking, Tyranid faction for Aeronautica and a revamp of Battlefleet Gothic.

Listen to this man.

I always wanted to buy BFG, Epic, & Warmaster minis back in the day- I loved the idea of a really small scale army!

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I would kill for a new Battlefleet Gothic.Or, more precisely, plastic kits for their ships.

Listen to this man.

I always wanted to buy BFG, Epic, & Warmaster minis back in the day- I loved the idea of a really small scale army!

GW may not want to go beyond titans and knights in Adeptus Titanicus, but 3d printing has resurrected Epic in the last couple years. I mean, it was still kinda alive in the background with several 3rd party miniatures and the second hand market, but the rise of cheap resin printers in the last couple years has spawned quite a big wave of new players, starting with myself.

For instance, everything down there is printed except the Imperial Guard troops, from Vanguard.

8cDXEO0.jpg

O7LJ387.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
New Battlescribe 9th data is up! Now for the fun part. Sharing your list increases. My 2000 Nids went to 2313. My 2000 Tau went to 2433. That shield drone tax....dayum.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Orks look cool as hell, and seem fun to paint.
Why did I decide I wanted to look at 40K ? U_U
What are the pros and cons of Space Marines and Orks?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Space Marines are the poster bois of 40k. They've got everything, can do anything and can defeat anyone. But they're in a very weird situation right now with 90% of the current models being retired with their replacements coming at a horribly slow rate and will likely not be a completed range for years to come.

Orks are the "Throw enough shit at the wall and eventually something will stick". Their line is also fairly old but I can't really talk about their models since I haven't owned any apart from the Black Reach box and a stompa. Their designs are both hilarious and great however.

Both sides will likely see big changes with the new rules so I will leave that matter to someone who actually plays.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Space Marines are the poster bois of 40k. They've got everything, can do anything and can defeat anyone. But they're in a very weird situation right now with 90% of the current models being retired with their replacements coming at a horribly slow rate and will likely not be a completed range for years to come.

Orks are the "Throw enough shit at the wall and eventually something will stick". Their line is also fairly old but I can't really talk about their models since I haven't owned any apart from the Black Reach box and a stompa. Their designs are both hilarious and great however.

Both sides will likely see big changes with the new rules so I will leave that matter to someone who actually plays.
Alright, guess I'll just finish painting the Age of Sigmar figurines I had lying around for some years before getting some 40K stuff then.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I suppose Blast weapon changes in 9th edition don't really favor Ork hordes very well.

Not brilliantly, but nerfing Grots into the ground probably affected most existing armies more.

Building a decent Ork army is certainly possible though, but if you want it to be competitive you're somewhat at the mercy of whenever their codex hits because I expect it will change a fair bit.

EDIT: Having said that, Orks are tremendous fun to do some creative things with, and there's a lot to be said for that.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Orks are a lot of fun to build, convert, paint and play. They will maybe have some new Ork Boyz minis coming this edition but most of their range looks great right now IMO. Very characterful all round!

Space Marines regularly get the most new models, books etc out of any factions in all of GW's games, and they're easily the most popular faction with multiple sub-factions supported too. If I were starting them now, I'd focus on the Primaris Marines as they are likely the future of the faction, and there are already plenty of different Primaris units to collect with more on the way.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

Always look at cost and what you're willing to spend when building your first army. Orks are a horde army so generally you will have a ton more models to buy, assemble, base, and paint compared to space marines.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
New starter sets:

If you're looking to dip your toe into Warhammer 40,000 for the very first time and learn (or teach!) the basics of the game, the Recruit Edition is for you.

The set includes a handful of miniatures, dice, range rulers, a mat, and a Recruit Manual featuring each unit's datasheet and guidance to help you learn the basics of the game. It's an excellent option for younger hobbyists.
S9nGrfHn9dUZQKK3.jpg

The next step up is the Elite Edition, which features a larger selection of units, including the awesome new Necron Overlord and Primaris Captain miniatures!

The Elite Edition is a fantastic option if you're looking to begin or broaden your collection of Necrons and Space Marines while using the Elite Manual included in the set to learn the game at your own pace.
3Pssvm6fGrORWPeR.jpg

The Command Edition is simply the best way to get started with Warhammer 40,000! Not only does it include all of the amazing models in the Elite Edition, it also boasts a fantastic fold-out, double-sided gaming board to fight your battles on, and a cracking selection of brand-new battlefield terrain. In short, it's got everything you need to kickstart your Warhammer 40,000 journey with gusto and verve!

The set's Command Manual features a narrative-driven set of six missions aimed at teaching you key aspects of the game. Once you've mastered these principles, a 184-page rulebook will provide you with everything you need to take your next steps towards becoming a hardened veteran of Warhammer 40,000 battlefields!
6lvq7fgtTVKLGirp.jpg

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Wasn't expecting starter set information so soon but it makes sense. The terrain and mat looks good for the most expensive set.

Also multipart Bladeguard announced. Waiting to make my Indomitus until I get some practice on the Intercessors but will def be picking up that kit too.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
My Indomitus box from my FLGS did not arrive. Their email said that it was just not in the shipment for Sat and the people who ordered later will get them when they get the rest delivered...I was #10 out of 15 sets they're supposesdly promised and I ordered during the week before the official preorder started.

Anyhow, with the M2O window closing tomorrow, could I order from GW and cancel if I do get my copy soon or is it too much of a hassle/not possible/only gives store credit? I was planning to go and ask my store during my break tomorrow if they can promise me my box, customer protection laws and all, but that's too late now 😓

The proper "starter" starters are not that enticing compared to the lite version of AoS and Dark Imperium. At least there might be a ton of bikes to pick up from ebay. But their rules are pretty good, so maybe not.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that terrain set looks really nice, wonder how much it is. If it's cheap enough might be worth getting and selling the rulebook and models. On the other hand this seems to indicate we may not be getting a Dark Imperium like starter set for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I got Indomitus, even the top tier starter set seems to be using the terrain sprues to pad out the content of the box. Dark Imperium was a much more enticing starter set than this announced one.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What I like about both the 40k and warcry terrain is they really help sell the setting during games. Warcry on a painted terrain set from the box makes such a difference- all spikes and ruined temples. It brings the whole 'this is what happens to a realm overrun by chaos' theme to light.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's the expected price on the elite and commander box? I might just wait for them to finally make the jump to 40K !

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
What I like about both the 40k and warcry terrain is they really help sell the setting during games. Warcry on a painted terrain set from the box makes such a difference- all spikes and ruined temples. It brings the whole 'this is what happens to a realm overrun by chaos' theme to light.

Necromunda terrain is the best. It has amazing synergy with so many other sets. I have seen some ridiculous Necromunda boards.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Necromunda terrain is the best. It has amazing synergy with so many other sets. I have seen some ridiculous Necromunda boards.
I bet. I still remember when the original game came out and we were all like 'woah' over cardboard bridges and bulkheads giving verticality :D Lots of fond memories of spending hours doing weapon swaps as my team upgraded over a summer campaign.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
My weekend Batrep is just that my Lord Commissar with a power fist wiped a squad of Primaris Infiltrators solo and I've never felt so bad for winning a game.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Didn't get nearly as many models completed as I thought I would for Indomitus. Plan is to finish the Necrons from sprue to painted before I touch the Primaris Marines. This is more of a motivation thing as I really enjoy the look of the Bladeguard and character models. I have 15 Necron warriors to finish before getting my airbrush out. Will be doing a light blue with the salted rust technique underneath. I also have some models from Forgebane I need to finish painting as well.

Once I get my Necrons all painted up I'm 90% sure i'll be painting the Primaris as Salamanders. Will be swinging by the FLGS this weekend to see if they have the character and upgrade set as GW is sold out online.

Oct 26, 2017
Going to have my first 9th edition match this Saturday. Will actually be my first match in a long, long while thanks to COVID. It's going to be my Tau vs Necrons or Salamanders. Should be fun. I built a Farsight list after Psychic Awakening that I never got to use, so even though 9th borked my list and strategy plans, I am still going to play a version of it for fun.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
In case i missed it in the OP
i just got into vermintide and am interested in looking up more of this warhammer setting at least
What are some worthwhile novels to read that are set in it if any could recommend some please?