• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Hey fellow 40k nerds (upstanding imperial citizens), I just came across the youtube channel of Snipe and Wib - specifically their rundown of the 3d edition Necron codex. My question is, are they OK? Am I going to run in to weird hard right consipracy theories and fascist apologetics if I keep watching them? They seem alright.
I hate this about the fandom, I can't click random reports or paint tutorial because there are some of that kind ;_;

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
So I managed to get a group of 12 people together to play 9th on Sunday. I will gladly give feedback if you guys are interested.

The hype in my gaming club is amazing, and strangely much bigger than for 8th.
I really hope GW stays on this course and continues to listen to their customers and improve on the good base they have established with 8th.

Oct 26, 2017
Darktide announced at the Xbox event, a 40K take on Vermintide from the same developers! Very excited for that! Just been playing Vermintide 2 today lol!

I can't beleive a few of my tinfoil hat predictions/expectations became true.

True:
- obsidian working on a openworld aaa rpg skyrim like set in Pillars
- Warhammer 40k will be present in someway at the event

I feel this is the toe steps.

The Grandfather of scifi is arriving to the forefront soon.
There will no doubt be a AAA game within hte next 10 years set in 40k that will be halo 1 levels massive

working on my count as blade guard

o1vzreL.jpg

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I can't beleive a few of my tinfoil hat predictions/expectations became true.

True:
- obsidian working on a openworld aaa rpg skyrim like set in Pillars
- Warhammer 40k will be present in someway at the event

I feel this is the toe steps.

The Grandfather of scifi is arriving to the forefront soon.
There will no doubt be a AAA game within hte next 10 years set in 40k that will be halo 1 levels massive
I was watching the stream today with a gaming buddy and joked that it looked like someone had ripped off the 40K plasma gun, and then the voiceover said "Lord Inquisitor" and I was like "OMG whaaaaaat?!" - I had been hoping for a Vermintide 3 announcement sometime soon but this was even better! Didn't expect it at an Xbox event honestly, and I had literally been playing Vermintide 2 with the same friend before the stream started :D

Nov 2, 2017
Hey fellow 40k nerds (upstanding imperial citizens), I just came across the youtube channel of Snipe and Wib - specifically their rundown of the 3d edition Necron codex. My question is, are they OK? Am I going to run in to weird hard right consipracy theories and fascist apologetics if I keep watching them? They seem alright.

Snipe and Wib are good folks for sure. Nothing I've seen from them or heard from them comes across as the fashy nonsense of an Arch-REDACTED. They deffo make jokes about the insane fascism of 40K and how it applies more and more to current politicians.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they're super cool. And they're definitely left leaning politically from looking at their twitters.

There's only a handful of really bad Warhammer content creators out there. Just steer clear of Arch Warhammer and Commisar Gamza (known shit heads) and you should be fine.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's some speculation that the trailer guys are false protagonists to be killed off in a later trailer, and the characters in the key art:

Darktide_KeyArt-01_1920x1080.png

are the real team. So that'd be:
  • Pyroclast
  • Ogryn
  • Some sort of guardsman
  • A sniper?
My guess is that you play as a member of the recon squad from the trailer during the tutorial, same way you play Kruber in the Vermintide 2 intro. Everybody else gets killed off but you survive and join the rest of the Inquisitor's retinue. That squad wouldn't be too bad, but I'd prefer some weirdness. The Ogryn is good, but I'd hope for a sanctioned Psyker and maybe a Sister or Ecclesiarch, a Xenos mercenary - all of the guys in that keyart kinda run together thematically (except the large lad, ofc). One of the cool things about Vermintide was how distinct all the characters looked, acted, and felt.

Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't be hard, there's so much craziness in the 40k world to draw from. Servitors alone give you one hundred different permutations.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The 40K app is out now, at least on Android.

Edit: looks like the army builder isn't finished yet. There's a core rules pdf link and the 8th edition stuff available for subscribers. Wish they'd just made it like the AoS app instead.

Last edited:

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
So if we subscribe right now we get all the rules but no army building feature just yet? I'll probably wait until that before thinking about subscribing. If I remember correctly it read like the value of the app drops as the new Codices come out. We'll have everything at the start but then we'll have to buy the books as they get replaced right?

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
So if we subscribe right now we get all the rules but no army building feature just yet? I'll probably wait until that before thinking about subscribing. If I remember correctly it read like the value of the app drops as the new Codices come out. We'll have everything at the start but then we'll have to buy the books as they get replaced right?
Yep. When a new codex comes out, the 8th edition codex in the app will be replaced by the 9th edition codex, but the 9th edition codex needs to be bought separately, even when subscribed.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Yep when a new codex comes out, the 8th edition codex in the app will be replaced with 9th edition codex but the 9th edition codex needs to be bought separately, even when subscribed.
So even of you subscribe you won't get access to the new codices? This deal is getting worse all the time, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
So even of you subscribe you won't get access to the new codices? This deal is getting worse all the time, lol.

Nope there's a one use code in each physical codex you buy. You register that with the app to get access to the codex digitally too.

So it's basically sub currently for:
1) Access to every 8th edition app at £4 a month
2) At some point each codex will be replaced with a 9th edition one
3) Then you'll need to buy a copy of that 9th Edition codex and register it to be able to use it in the app

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
You just get the 8th edition content which will gradually be removed over time as the 9th edition codexes release.

The army builder part of the subscription launches in August, iOS version of the app in the next day or so.

Last edited:

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Yea, I may subscribe at the start since I have quite a few small forces I can play with. It'll make it easy to make 500-1,000 point lists for games at the house while we learn the rules. At some point though I see myself switching back to paper versions only unless the Army building portion of the app is extremely easy to use and read.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Jeez the app is a hot mess.

So much of it is broken, loads of rules errors, organisation is bad, the core rules aren't mobile formatted.

I am honestly quite surprised at how bad and unprofessional it is.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Apparently the new chapter approved has all of the rules in it as well. So if you don't want the fluff, it's a much cheaper way to get a copy of the extended rules.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I building the Marines right now.
As always the quality is good and some of the best push fit they did so far. Everything fits super snuggly.

The Chapter approved is fantastic! It's smaller format and contains the base rules, terrain rules, tournament missions, secondary missions and all.
Also it has an appendix and overview over some rare rules and exceptions.

Sadly it doesn't replace the BRB completely as it doesn't contain Army building, open and narrative play.
Still great new format

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Finally read up about the app....holy shit. Did they grab some random interns and made them make this at 0 cost? Lol

Oct 25, 2017
Finally read up about the app....holy shit. Did they grab some random interns and made them make this at 0 cost? Lol

Definitely an example of agile programming. Sounds like it was raced through to get it out this weekend.

I won't be getting my Indomitus box for while as it's made to order, but I'm so excited for it. I'm rapidly trying to come up with some background story and a paint schemes for a custom chapter of my own.

I've been following this person on Instagram- thunderwulfen. He's been making a custom chapter for months called the Soul Haunters. Between the paint style, basing, conversions and the backstory, I found it really inspiring:

https://instagram.com/thunderwulfen?igshid=1i8pti944hx0k

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
My Judiciar wanted to say hello.

69iZxZh.jpg

And this is why I bought a 3d printer :P. Shame the resin detail on this size doesn't appear until it gets primed.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Damn. It's great to see everyone posting pictures of their models. Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow. 3d printers would be ideal for the small bits like that.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Adjust the contrast on your camera, you should be able to make out the detail

When the detail is this thin, is really, really hard to see in certain angles on resin.. Even with a better pic, looks much crappier than it actually is. Hell, it happens with the thing at hand :P

Here's with a Bladeguard mockup, for whose I'll need to reprint the swords, this time without hands so I just glue them to the models. I'm not fully decided on the Bladeguard heads tho, I'm torn between three models.

nqfHewE.jpg

Anyways, I plan to prime and paint them this week, so there should be better pics soon. Or at least, I hope :P

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Leaving my shop with my Indomitus and books. So giddy.

My friend wants my Space Marine half. EBay selling for 120 to 130. Giving slight friend discount, does $100 seem like a fair price?

Last edited:

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Rule book has arrived. Man that's heavy. A lot bigger than I thought it would be. Fantastic amount of art and fluff.

My friend wants my Space Marine half. EBay selling for 120 to 130. Giving slight friend discount, does $100 seem like a fair price?

How much is the rule book on its own in your territory? Minus that from the box price, then divide by 2 for the miniatures.

Oct 28, 2017

You get like 1,000 points worth of models in each side. He's getting a cracker deal if that's the good rate of the Space Marine half.

Rather than give him a big discount to him, ask him what he wants from the set. He doesn't have to pay as much, you have models left over that you can sell at market price online. It's a win/win.

Oct 25, 2017
You get like 1,000 points worth of models in each side. He's getting a cracker deal if that's the good rate of the Space Marine half.

Rather than give him a big discount to him, ask him what he wants from the set. He doesn't have to pay as much, you have models left over that you can sell at market price online. It's a win/win.

I'd do this. Then if they want the entire marine half then stick with the $100 price. How much is the box in the US? $200?

Oct 28, 2017
$200 US though you can arguably get it for less from independent game stores. In Australia, I got around a 20% discount from my local store.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

FFtKh6yoqzdBvVbQ.jpg

The new Codex: Space Marines will replace the current Space Marine codex, as well as the other First Founding and Deathwatch codexes – making it an invaluable tome that covers all those elements common across the forces of the Space Marines. A literal Codex Astartes*.

Players using Chapters covered in the last Space Marine codex can carry on using their expansions with the new book – White Scars, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Ultramarines, Salamanders, Raven Guard and Black Templars using their codex expansion in the Psychic Awakening series.

For fans of the Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Deathwatch?

If you have one of these armies, good news – not only do you get a shiny new core codex with loads of new toys to play with, but you also have a new codex supplement on the way. You'll be able to tailor your Space Marines force to fully embody the theme and spirit of their Chapter, and of course, include all their unique units and heroes.
Codex: Necrons, meanwhile, brings the Necrons to life in terrifying splendour and tactical depth never before seen for the Faction. Rules have been fundamentally reworked to diversify the army and offer a vast range of potential strategies. Want to play a close-combat Necron force? A surging tide of Canoptek critters? A short-ranged incursion force popping out of portals to annihilate everything? The choice is yours. New units like the Shard of the Void Dragon and the Silent King himself give you new and terrifying ways to reconquer the galaxy, while rules for custom dynasties and the legendary brass-armoured Szarekhan Dynasty allow for even more choice and freedom. Take your army on Crusade and things get even crazier as your Necrons grow and change, with Overlords gaining ever-longer Dynastic Epithets (yes, really – there's a random table) or succumbing to the horror of the Destroyer curse…

Releasing in October.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

Based on the chassis of the Impulsor, the Gladiator is a fast, flexible battle tank that provides deadly fire support in any chosen flavour you wish. You just saw the Gladiator Valiant – a short-ranged armour hunter that uses twin las-talons and multi-meltas to scrap armour and heavy infantry alike.
PbO0FBooIkxh1ays.jpg

This is just one of a trio of Gladiators – take the Gladiator Reaper. This tank is the ultimate infantry-killer, using tempest bolters and a twin heavy onslaught gatling cannon to blend your foe's battle lines.
1xaGeGmltTV6sSPC.jpg

Alternatively, you could build a Gladiator Lancer – an anti-tank sniper that's ideal for chewing through your opponents' most durable war machines and monsters.
gSSOqZusdo9RBk2N.jpg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If the Deathwatch is using Codex Space Marines, doesn't that mean a huge expansion of their support element options? That's pretty cool. I guess it's like someone asked 'can Deathwatch use all the new kits?' and the reply was 'why the hell not?' :D