• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Long ago I worked at a grocery store. We had a sale on bananas. Manager put up a sign "limit 5 pounds". I asked him why; he said that some people would see the limit and then increase their purchase to 5 pounds.

Lol well the good part is that it's down from the 6 boxes they initially announced per person. Gotta love artificial scarcity though.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Lol well the good part is that it's down from the 6 boxes they initially announced per person. Gotta love artificial scarcity though.
It does seem a little odd that they've said both 'we've made loads and loads of boxes!' and 'it's very limited'. Like claiming that it's a limited edition but also not that limited. Given they are tying their whole main product line around this set for the next few years, it feels really odd that they've mentioned scarcity at all.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem a little odd that they've said both 'we've made loads and loads of boxes!' and 'it's very limited'. Like claiming that it's a limited edition but also not that limited. Given they are tying their whole main product line around this set for the next few years, it feels really odd that they've mentioned scarcity at all.
It's entirely possible that a cheaper and more permanent starter set might come out sometime after this. They have said it's a "launch" set and not a "starter".

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's entirely possible that a cheaper and more permanent starter set might come out sometime after this. They have said it's a "launch" set and not a "starter".
That's true, they've kinda gone out of their way to make it clear it's a sort of premium set rather than a starter kit. Not much in the way of beginner hobby advice etc. They do seem to put out large box sets more frequently than they used to.

Oct 25, 2017

I think they're trying to get people to think that there's a point trying to buy this after about 10.15am on Saturday when most limited edition items sell out.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
If by some miracle that there are still units available when I wake up on Saturday I'll probably get Indomitus. Have had a shitty couple a weeks and some expensive plastic crack will be the seratonine my shitty lizard brain needs. Not going to be too broken up if I can't get it though.

Also, as a side thing, I don't care for the all the posterboy versions of the Nercons being brass. I imagine is to try and separate them even more from looking exactly like T-800's but I just don't care for it. I love the classic silver look. But that's just me.

Oct 25, 2017
I've read elsewhere that all the new paints are a jump up in price on the current ones- might be a hint of all paints going up in price again soon.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry if it's clear in the Warhammer Community post but if I pre-order through my FLGS do the bonus items come with it? If I do pick it up I'm planning to use a 20% discount they use and a coin and markers ain't worth $40.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if it's clear in the Warhammer Community post but if I pre-order through my FLGS do the bonus items come with it? If I do pick it up I'm planning to use a 20% discount they use and a coin and markers ain't worth $40.

It says only if you pre-order on their games-workshop.com so pretty sure FLGSs miss out on this which is annoying.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited, haven't really played 40k since 3rd edition. Have been watching a lot of battle reports last year or two for 8th and vowed to start collecting when 9th comes out and here we are!

Probablly will jump on necrons as I assume they will get a new codex soon. Will try to grab a box of Indomitus If not I imagine I might be able to head to eBay for some of the Necron models from the box.

Xena

Oct 25, 2017
So, regarding Warhammer pc games, how do you guys like Gladius?
I've was introduced to the tabletop minis around this time last year, and I collected and played with T'au so far.
I saw this Gladius game has them in it. Is it good? It's on sale on Steam. I got Warhammer Total War 2 yesterday and so far I like it, but I don't recognize most of the characters there from AoS. I was wondering if Gladius will be more familiar to me and that I will be able to recognize the 40k armies and units in there.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
So my FLGS will finally have 0 (zero) Indomitus boxes with the translated rulebook, and 2 on English. Those two, by the way, only as a "favor" from the comercial.

Meanwhile, the Big Hoby Chain Store has told us they won't have any problem to serve us whatever quantity we may require in both, Spanish and English. Colour me surprised.

Actually, don't. Fuck the Big Hoby Chain Store and their bullying practices, they do this shit with every goddamn game. And GW for letting this happen.

So, regarding Warhammer pc games, how do you guys like Gladius?
I've was introduced to the tabletop minis around this time last year, and I collected and played with T'au so far.
I saw this Gladius game has them in it. Is it good? It's on sale on Steam. I got Warhammer Total War 2 yesterday and so far I like it, but I don't recognize most of the characters there from AoS. I was wondering if Gladius will be more familiar to me and that I will be able to recognize the 40k armies and units in there.

As far as I know, I haven't tried it, Gladius is good, but it's not your regular 40k game. I mean, it's a 4x, and I'm still not sure how they managed to fit this setting on that genre without creating a crap game.

Other good/great 40k games are Dawn of War 1 and 2 (there are Tau in the expansions for the first game), Space Marine, both Batlefleet Gothic Armada (there are Tau in the second game, but only for skirmish or enemies) and Armaggedon (aka Panzer General 40k). I've heard good things from Mechanicus and Inquisitor Martyr, but haven't played them.

If you are willing to try older* games, I would suggest you Fire Warrior. It's an mediocre FPS with average production and some fantastic stuff here and there (cinematics, how the bolter feels), but you play as a Tau. It's not on Steam, you must go to GOG for it. A 6/10 game.

*It's only one year older than the first Dawn of War :P

Last edited:

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Hi guys, do people not realize the Emperor was always a giant douche.

the whole repeated planetary Xenocide thing

My favorite quote from Aaron Dembski-Bowden about the Emperor

I feel for the people that genuinely believe I have a singular view of the Emperor. In several HH meetings, I've been one of the nicest about him, and it's sort of odd how you can look at any of the Emperor's behaviour over the last 30 years of lore and think "Well, he was obviously a great guy, it's suddenly ADB that made him a jerk."

Like, all the galactic genocide of the Great Crusade, and him messing around with the warp and the primarchs, treating several of them with less-than-a-talented hand, and his massive hypocrisy in terms of religion - banning it, yet allowing the Ad-Mech to literally worship him because he needed their tech - was actually just him being an awesome straight-up dude, and "suddenly" I made him a jerk.

One of my favourite comments from someone in the IP department was "You have to know next to nothing of the lore to believe the Emperor was ever a good guy. And you have to ignore almost everything ever published about him."

I have practically no view of the Emperor at all. That's why The Master of Mankind says next to nothing about him, as you pointed out. I keep my opinions miles away from my work.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I feel for the people that genuinely believe I have a singular view of the Emperor. In several HH meetings, I've been one of the nicest about him, and it's sort of odd how you can look at any of the Emperor's behaviour over the last 30 years of lore and think "Well, he was obviously a great guy, it's suddenly ADB that made him a jerk."

Like, all the galactic genocide of the Great Crusade, and him messing around with the warp and the primarchs, treating several of them with less-than-a-talented hand, and his massive hypocrisy in terms of religion - banning it, yet allowing the Ad-Mech to literally worship him because he needed their tech - was actually just him being an awesome straight-up dude, and "suddenly" I made him a jerk.

One of my favourite comments from someone in the IP department was "You have to know next to nothing of the lore to believe the Emperor was ever a good guy. And you have to ignore almost everything ever published about him."

I have practically no view of the Emperor at all. That's why The Master of Mankind says next to nothing about him, as you pointed out. I keep my opinions miles away from my work.
Master of Mankind was a great book. What it did show, through multiple viewpoint characters meeting him, is that the Emperor is many things to many people, but all of them have him as a tyrant at best. He might throw in a lesson, or a metaphor, but it's not as a stern parent. It's always an instruction working towards a single goal, a few moments of his time because it's necessary to his plan, his ambitions and hubris to have mankind rule the galaxy forever as an evolving psychic species, leaving their enemies destroyed or locked away in a box. What I love about ADB's depiction is that it also then colours other depictions. The Emperor shows a gleam of humanity in Belisarius Cawl: The Great Work, but for all we know he's just reflecting Cawl's quirky sardonic humour back at him to get what he wants, as it's the most effective way to manage Cawl. Or a quirk of Cawl's shattered, composite memory.

Slightly ironically for the Tau, The Emperor in Master of Mankind is all about a 'Greater Good'. Pushing humanity on towards a 'brighter' future (on a galactic timescale). Safe from the predations of the warp, but under his rule, and at the cost of pretty much enslaving, colonising or outright murdering endless human (and xenos) populations in order to 'save' the ones left under the protection of his stolen webway for transport, the leadership of his fascist empire and the hypocritical Imperial 'truth' as a shield against whispers from beyond. Little of the detail in the steps of the grand plan for the species (as that's the only level he seems to care about humanity on) is in any way 'good' or 'human' or 'relatable' in a way any of even the longer-lived Imperial characters can imagine it, let alone us readers. 'It's all to save humanity from chaos' might sound good in isolation, removed from the cost, but the sickening brutality of the Imperium required to achieve it even in 30k removes it from any level of being able to understand him as 'good'. When trying to describe what the Emperor is, It's like the gods of various creation myth cycles. Apocalyptic levels of destruction, horror, manipulation, power, ego and hubris that leave broken demigods in their wake, and then people struggling to make sense of the ruins for thousands of years afterwards.

In that way I think ADB was right not to show too much of the Emperor at all. Time with a character has you gradually understand more of them and a framework for their motivations beyond the consequences of their actions and words seen from the viewpoint of others, whereas I'm not sure that makes the setting better. The broken shadow of his dream and the horrors done to try and achieve it, and the horrors of the wreckage, are all the more evocative for the myth-like lack of clarity of who or what the Emperor is.

Last edited:

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Master of Mankind was a great book. What it did show, through multiple viewpoint characters meeting him, is that the Emperor is many things to many people, but all of them have him as a tyrant at best. He might throw in a lesson, or a metaphor, but it's not as a stern parent. It's always an instruction working towards a single goal, a few moments of his time because it's necessary to his plan, his ambitions and hubris to have mankind rule the galaxy forever as an evolving psychic species, leaving their enemies destroyed or locked away in a box. What I love about ADB's depiction is that it also then colours other depictions. The Emperor shows a gleam of humanity in Belisarius Cawl: The Great Work, but for all we know he's just reflecting Cawl's quirky sardonic humour back at him to get what he wants, as it's the most effective way to manage Cawl. Or a quirk of Cawl's shattered, composite memory.

Slightly Ironically for the Tau, The Emperor in Master of Mankind is all about a 'Greater Good'. Pushing humanity on towards a 'brighter' future (on a galactic timescale). Safe from the predations of the warp, but under his rule, and at the cost of pretty much enslaving, colonising or outright murdering endless human (and xenos) populations in order to 'save' the ones left under the protection of his stolen webway for transport, the leadership of his fascist empire and the hypocritical Imperial 'truth' as a shield against whispers from beyond. Little of the detail in the steps of the grand plan for the species (as that's the only level he seems to care about humanity on) is in any way 'good' or 'human' or 'relatable' in a way any of even the longer-lived Imperial characters can imagine it, let alone us readers. 'It's all to save humanity from chaos' might sound good in isolation, removed from the cost, but the sickening brutality of the Imperium required to achieve it even in 30k removes it from any level of being able to understand him as 'good'. When trying to describe what the Emperor is, It's like the gods of various creation myth cycles. Apocalyptic levels of destruction, horror, manipulation, power, ego and hubris that leave broken demigods in their wake, and then people struggling to make sense of the ruins for thousands of years afterwards.

In that way I think ADB was right not to show too much of the Emperor at all- time with a character has you gradually understand more of them and a framework for their motivations, whereas I'm not sure that makes the setting better. The broken shadow of his dream and the horrors done to try and achieve it, and the horrors of the wreckage, are all the more evocative for the myth-like lack of clarity of who or what the Emperor is.
Yeah his grand vision was Galactic level Xenocide.
And no matter what apologists say not all aliens where harmful, see the craft world eldar

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Yep but Horus didn't listen thanks to literally Programed Xenophobia.

seriously the Emperor was always a dick. I'm surprised more people aren't horrified by The Whole ban all religions thing, when those religions are true. As in gods definitely exist in universe,

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Some people think that. They're wrong.

Like you and Red said, the Imperium was founded on 3 principles: the Imperial Truth, xenocide, and the supremacy of the Emperor over mankind. The Imperial Truth was a lie (and hypocritical, considering how he brought Mars into the fold), the reasoning for xenocide was basically the Great Betrayal propaganda spread by the Nazis so *probably* based on a lie, and so we're left with point 3. Emps is a tyrant, first and foremost. Whatever his other plans and aspirations and personality, it all breaks before that.

It's also worth noting that the only people who can be described as his contemporaries (the other Perpetuals) all seem to dislike him to varying degrees.

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Some people think that. They're wrong.

Like you and Red said, the Imperium was founded on 3 principles: the Imperial Truth, xenocide, and the supremacy of the Emperor over mankind. The Imperial Truth was a lie (and hypocritical, considering how he brought Mars into the fold), the reasoning for xenocide was basically the Great Betrayal propaganda spread by the Nazis so *probably* based on a lie, and so we're left with point 3. Emps is a tyrant, first and foremost. Whatever his other plans and aspirations and personality, it all breaks before that.

It's also worth noting that the only people who can be described as his contemporaries (the other Perpetuals) all seem to dislike him to varying degrees.
This pretty much sums up my point, Thank you.

yeah the Emperor was like Joseph Stalin with the whole Banned religion, thinks that following him is for the greater good, and massive body count,

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I recently finished The Night Lords omnibus and it's up there as my favorite Black Library book. This passage really nails the mental state of not just Talos but at some point all Astartes I imagine.

"Talos breathed, low and slow. 'It took hours, Octavia. All the while, we remained aboard our ships, listening to vox-calls from the surface, sending their screams and pleas up to us in the heavens. We never answered. Not even once. We stayed in space and watched our own cities burn. At the very end, we watched the planet heaving, breaking apart beneath the fleet's rage. Only then did we turn away. Nostramo disintegrated into the void. I have never seen anything like it again. I know, in my heart, I never will."

"A moment of foolishness almost made her reach a hand to touch his cheek. She knew better than to give in to that instinct. Still, the way he spoke, the look in his black eyes – he was a child, grown into a god's body without a man's comprehension of humanity. No wonder these creatures were so dangerous. Their stunted psyches worked on levels no human could quite comprehend: simplistic and passionate one moment, complex and inhuman the next."

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I recently finished The Night Lords omnibus and it's up there as my favorite Black Library book. This passage really nails the mental state of not just Talos but at some point all Astartes I imagine.

I'm reading this omnibus right now! Almost done with the first book. I like it a lot, but I do have one nitpick. I've read several of ADB's novels about traitor legions now, and it seems he often makes the protagonist too nice? In Soul Hunter, The First Heretic, and Betrayer, the protagonist in each is kind of a reasonable guy in a legion full of lunatics. ("Reasonable" being a relative term).
Talon of Horus is a bit more nuanced, but even there Iskandar is contrasted against other marines that are much worse than him.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I'm reading this omnibus right now! Almost done with the first book. I like it a lot, but I do have one nitpick. I've read several of ADB's novels about traitor legions now, and it seems he often makes the protagonist too nice? In Soul Hunter, The First Heretic, and Betrayer, the protagonist in each is kind of a reasonable guy in a legion full of lunatics. ("Reasonable" being a relative term).
Talon of Horus is a bit more nuanced, but even there Iskandar is contrasted against other marines that are much worse than him.
Talos is at first the most reasonable Night Lord but trust me he is nothing but a slightly more thoughtful serial killer who views his father and his ideals in rose colored glasses. He like all his brothers has no problem skinning children in front of their parents or wearing still bleeding severed heads on their armor.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I like that you get a code for the digital stuff when buying a physical codex, though £4 per month for the list builder and 8th edition codexes isn't as tempting for me considering the AoS app is £1 per month for the list builder and the 9th edition Necron codex is on the way soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I like that you get a code for the digital stuff when buying a physical codex, though £4 per month for the list builder and 8th edition codexes isn't as tempting for me considering the AoS app is £1 per month for the list builder and the 9th edition Necron codex is on the way soon.
Plus BattleScribe is free for list building.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Not at all sold on the app subscriber features. The free service looks solid and I'll certainly be using it, finally getting digital and physical versions of the codexes as one item is grand. But 4 pounds a month is quite a lot for features I feel I could replicate using battlescribe and some homemade cheat sheets.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree on the 4 pounds/month IF that included the rules for any book they released. Or, if you get X book, it let you build lists for it without suscription. But pay that and still having to buy whatever many books they decide to release? Yeah, no thanks.

Last edited:

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Way too expensive if it's like $7/mo USD. Maybe if they included a free codex upgrade of your choice. If GW were smart they'd start moving the non-miniatures products to all be free with a subscription and keep the physical copies as an option.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I like it, at least for now.
I have 5 Armies and not a single PA book for them. So 5€ a month for having the codex and all supplements in the app is okay. But yeah it will loose its value after a while.
I'll give it a try.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not surprised GW went the subscription route because it means way more revenue for them but I am very disappointed. I'd have happily paid a one off fee for the app but there is no way I'm subscribing.

back to battle scribe and codex / supplements / FAQ's :(

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I like it, at least for now.
I have 5 Armies and not a single PA book for them. So 5€ a month for having the codex and all supplements in the app is okay. But yeah it will loose its value after a while.
I'll give it a try.

Yeah in thr short term it seems not too bad for access to all the old codex's

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
As somone whos just jumped back in, is planning a ynnari army and doesn't have a single codex or supplement yet the app will be the way to go. It would be well over a year before its less value than buying two codexes and phoenix rising.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
They should just go ahead and update the point values within the digital codices themselves. I have my doubts though GW has the foresight to do that. Really the only thing that should be behind the pay wall should be full rules/codex/supplements. I will say at least they're letting people access the codex for free when purchasing physical copies.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Think I'm only going to pre order the rule book and open war cards. I've got enough unpainted shit lying around.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Dark Sphere's Indomitus order got capped under what they need too, it is truly the end times! Looking like we're going to need to be super fast with our pre-orders tomorrow.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Checking out all the stuff on the New Zealand store, still in stock, might be a good sign!

Edit: they made the new objectives for 50mm bases when the new rules say 40mm for objectives...

Last edited:

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
maybe im reading it wrong but it doesn't seem like homophobic death threats it was death threats for being homophobic, either way calling out death threats isn't something that should be controversial.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017