• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly getting the vibe that gw wants to kill all the old marine space wolf kits, and that's why space wolves are always the last, or 2nd to last codex, that's why our stuff is over costed.

Outrider bikes 40pts
Twolves 45 pts

Or something akin

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes I imagine Guard will be the next range to experiance a massive refit. Not the first line to recieve releases but the first to get a refresh on the level of Necron and GSC in the upcoming edition. They've cleared the deck so to speak with the destruction of Cadia and this wave of Catachan special anniversary releases we've had feel like the GW designers experimenting with what they can do. Comparing the old infantry sprues to what they can do today really demonstrates how GW was really just dipping their toes into plastic. If I remember right wasn't it one of the first computer designed sprues? Its shockingly simple.

It also would tie in nicely with the recent statement regarding diversity.

Edit: if not them then Eldar because Aspect Warriors have to be the oldest infantry kits left besides Khorne Berserkers right?
I think the Aspect Warriors desperately need kits too, but the guard are worth doing first. Mainly as the Catachan and Cadian kits really don't do enough to separate themselves from 'simple, generic sci-fi soldiers with laser guns'. I expect them to really make them exemplify the Imperium more, with all kinds of odd details, devotional scrolls, icons etc.

On top of that the Eldar vehicle range is still really nice, whereas the Russ and Chimera that underpin most of the Guard range could really do with a refresh. It's such a big job though, no wonder they've left it so long.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
When the guard refresh comes, I imagine GW will be adding AAA kits for several different sub factions, including characters and upgrade kits to theme vehicles after each one. I've always like Krieg, but the modern day look of the Cadians always appealed to me as well. The whole jungle/winter/desert themed armies were always pretty cool too, especially when you saw an entire IG army based around one single theme. It really showed the diversity of the range and gave people a ton of options to make their IG army somewhat unique and personalized.

I don't weather my space marines when painting them. I have always imagined them looking show room ready for pretty much every fight. The bright, bold colors should make them look like sports cars when standing next to thier IG allies, who would be the equivalent of rusted out beat up dump trucks. To that end, if I ever start an IG army, it will be weathered, rusted, dented, and bruised. I want them to look like they've seen a hundred battles. Meanwhile, the marines pop in for a surgical strike and as soon as it is over they are extracted and prepared for the next one. In transit, all their gear is brought back to a perfect standard before redeployment.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Guard would be my bet for the next big refresh too!

Deathwatch codex is said to be coming soon, maybe we'll get some proper Primaris Deathwatch minis with that.

I'm not sure If they will do a vertans box of Primaris just yet. Maybe update the upgrade kit and a Primaris character model - like how all other SM subfactions now have a unique character.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
The line most needed of an overhaul is the Guard, by far. Sure, Eldar have some insanely ancient models out there, but let's be honest: they all look stupidly good. There are some models here and there that surelly needs an update (hello, Warp Spiders), and they surelly need a decent plastic line, but what Goodwin made with the space elves in the 90's is absolute sorcery.

Now, the Guard... it just looks old and weird for the most part. Not sure what route they'll go now that Cadia is not a thing anymore, but I guess they'll pump out a Catachan plastic kit and maybe another regiment with a more orthodox esthetic (usually Cadia. Now... Steel Legion?). It would be wonderful to get back some of the classics (Tallarn!), although a Tanith plastic kit is something needed for years. Hell, I don't play Guard and I would still buy them :P

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Guard infantry could do with an update, the vehicles don't need one. Orks as well.

They will keep the Cadian design because it's unique to 40k. And they use it a lot in their community updates and artwork.

Part of me, a pessimistic part, suspects GW has decreased the number of models necessary in a game in 9th because they're going us for when they update Guard and Orks. In 8th you were looking at 90 Guardsmen for a balanced army. You ain't getting that if the boxes are gonna be priced at £35 each.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The line most needed of an overhaul is the Guard, by far. Sure, Eldar have some stupidly ancient models out there, but let's be honest: they all look stupidly good. There are some models here and there that surelly needs an update (hello, Warp Spiders), and they surelly need a decent plastic line, but what Goodwin made with the space elves in the 90's is absolute sorcery.

Now, the Guard... it just looks old and weird for the most part. Not sure what way they'll go now that Cadia is not a thing anymore, but I guess they'll pump out a Catachan plastic kit and maybe another regiment with a more orthodox esthetic (Steel Legion?). It would be wonderful to get back some of the classics (Tallarn!), although a Tanith plastic kit is something needed for years. Hell, I don't play Guard and I would still buy them :P
The Guard is so varied that it makes me wonder whether they could do it with two sprues. By having one sprue with the stuff that doesn't change much, eg, legs with standard IG slacks and boots, lasguns, special weapons, imperial accessories like devotional seals, various head options without helmets. And then another that changes by regiment, so a Valhallan sprue has specific upper bodies wearing long coats that fit over specific legs, heads with valhallan hats etc. Might reduce the work a little to offer as many interchangeable options as possible.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
The Guard is so varied that it makes me wonder whether they could do it with two sprues. By having one sprue with the stuff that doesn't change much, eg, legs with standard IG slacks and boots, lasguns, special weapons, imperial accessories like devotional seals, various head options without helmets. And then another that changes by regiment, so a Valhallan sprue has specific upper bodies wearing long coats that fit over specific legs, heads with valhallan hats etc. Might reduce the work a little to offer as many interchangeable options as possible.

I guess they best way to do it in plastic is upgrade sprues, but the question is whether the finances are there for guard upgrade sprue like with space marines? Will they be purchased enough?

I guess the alternative is a forgeworld resin upgrade sprue.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
My worry is that they'll do Guard as monopose Cadians in an attempt to kill the current third party bits markets.
And also that they'll be like a foot taller than the current models.

Oct 26, 2017
They can do a gaurd revamp in necromunda style boxes.

8 guys, 2 heavy weapons per box.

Oct 25, 2017

My hope is that given GW produce dual kits these days they produce two of these dual kits for the revamp. Each of the dual kits has regiments which share a few design elements with the rest being quite different (e.g. legs are the same but one body is a flakjacket, and the other is a trenchcoat), meaning there are four new regiment styles on offer, plus the existing Cadian range as a direct only option.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'd be surprised if they went with upgrade kits. Getting upgrades for a few marines differs from a horde army.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They can do a gaurd revamp in necromunda style boxes.

8 guys, 2 heavy weapons per box.
My hope is that given GW produce dual kits these days they produce two of these dual kits for the revamp. Each of the dual kits has regiments which share a few design elements with the rest being quite different (e.g. legs are the same but one body is a flakjacket, and the other is a trenchcoat), meaning there are four new regiment styles on offer, plus the existing Cadian range as a direct only option.
I'm pretty confident they'll come up with something cool. It's one of those big projects they need to go all-in on.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I've printed a thing. Fuck the ATV.

img]

Now I need to think how many of these I really want :P

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh that was really interesting to watch, thanks for the GMG link Gareth

Has there been any further word on the app? It's supposedly out on pre-order day (11th) but was wondering if we knew anything more about it other than it'll be a list builder etc.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Another great GMG battle report. I honestly thought the Necrons would bite it after that first charge, holy shit.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Wound up snagging a set of Ork Nobz today. Had so much fun with the chaos space marines that I might as well give them something to fight!

Might actually try and play some low-point strike team shit with my bro if I can figure out the rules :P

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
fuck man, I think im gonna have to grab one.

You use blender, zbrush, or c4d?

For the small modifications and remixes I'm capable of, I use Blender, although I would love to learn how to proper model things either on that or Zbrush, at least to create some bits here and there. Someday.

But The Guys Who Know What They Do™, as far as I know those two the ones they usually use, yeah.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any printers that take CAD/Solidworks/Solidedge files? I'm very conversant with that, regular 3D modeling... not so much.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think thtat's what I used, actually. Or an offbrand version of that. If it's all the same tech I suppose it should work alright.
ive been eyeballing the anycubic photon, around new years, they do 50% off for one.

I almost pulled the trigger this jan but didnt.

I just wish there was a US resin printer, MADE in the US/Canada/UK/EU that I could buy even at a little elevated cost. but all the ones I could find are for industrial use.

As im trying to buy less and less from china

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
My FLGS said they're getting 17 indomintus boxes and they're pretty small. I don't think people will have a hard time getting a box if they pre-order. I know there's been some worry after the sisters box sold out so quickly.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Now that people have been playing games and posting batreps I've been brainstorming ideas for where my army is gonna go forward. Guards thing is firepower, but firepower doesn't win the victory poinrs now.

With Imperial Guard the general consensus is that infantry squads simply aren't up to the task of taking it holding objectives in 9th.

I suspect most AM players are gonna be building their lists around Leman Russes in a speahead rushing forward and camping objectives, with a brigade dedicated to supporting that.

I actually like it. More dynamic. More risk. More pay off. No longer a glorified parking lot.

Last edited:

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Now that people have been playing games and posting batreps I've been brainstorming ideas for where my army is gonna go forward. Guards thing is firepower, but firepower doesn't win the victory poinrs now.

With Imperial Guard the general consensus is that infantry squads simply aren't up to the task of taking it holding objectives in 9th.

I suspect most AM players are gonna be building their lists around Leman Russes in a speahead rushing forward and camping objectives, with a brigade dedicated to supporting that.

I actually like it. More dynamic. More risk. More pay off. No longer a glorified parking lot.

I honestly hadn't even taken the time to think about this. I don't have a lot of mechanised units so now I'm like ... man. :(

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
My friend who runs a hobby store messaged me. The new Necron paints got a 20% price increase compared to the rest.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
My FLGS said they're getting 17 indomintus boxes and they're pretty small. I don't think people will have a hard time getting a box if they pre-order. I know there's been some worry after the sisters box sold out so quickly.

In Spain there are talks from several sources that there won't be enough boxes with the translated rulebook for everybody (not a problem from my point of view, GW translations are terrible, and I say this having a friend that works there as translator :P), but we don't have enough English boxes guaranteed either as for today.

We'll see this Saturday once the preorders get fully confirmed, but I truly believe someone here may have fucked it up somewhere if we finally get a shortage of boxes. Either certain big hobby chain stores bullying his way as they constantly do, either GW doing their maths wrong.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Im just going to get the space marine characters off ebay. And wait for the proper kits for other units.

I'm slowly building a Deathwatch force so I have enough to keep me busy.

From looking at the sprues, the captain and Lieutenant are on seperate sprues so may be sold seperately in the future. The other characters (chaplain, ancient etc) are on the main sprue with other models - like dark imperium (whose characters have not been sold seperately).

STech

Sep 24, 2018
GW prices are absurdly high (even compared with their incredibly high previous prices), no matter when you read this.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I honestly hadn't even taken the time to think about this. I don't have a lot of mechanised units so now I'm like ... man. :(

I don't have many mechanised units neither.

What I'm thinking though is using the regiments that can advance and still shoot. Park a Leman Russ on an objective and have infantry run up and surround it.

It mainly just seems that killing the enemy ain't as good as taking objectives now.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have many mechanised units neither.

What I'm thinking though is using the regiments that can advance and still shoot. Park a Leman Russ on an objective and have infantry run up and surround it.

It mainly just seems that killing the enemy ain't as good as taking objectives now.

Custom regiment with Agile Warriors and Fire from the Hip could do well. Reroll advance and fire rapidfire weapons at -1 to hit after an advance.
Or Fire from the Hip and Disciplined Shooters to Advance and Rapidfire at 18".

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
In Spain there are talks from several sources that there won't be enough boxes with the translated rulebook for everybody (not a problem from my point of view, GW translations are terrible, and I say this having a friend that works there as translator :P), but we don't have enough English boxes guaranteed either as for today.

We'll see this Saturday once the preorders get fully confirmed, but I truly believe someone here may have fucked it up somewhere if we finally get a shortage of boxes. Either certain big hobby chain stores bullying his way as they constantly do, either GW doing their maths wrong.

I should probably mention I'm in the US. Hopefully you guys will get enough for everyone.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Now that GW has announced preorder bonuses for purchasing the box directly from them I'm fairly certain GW has limited stocks to 3rd parties specifically, at least in Europe.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Custom regiment with Agile Warriors and Fire from the Hip could do well. Reroll advance and fire rapidfire weapons at -1 to hit after an advance.
Or Fire from the Hip and Disciplined Shooters to Advance and Rapidfire at 18".

I was also thinking a Valkyrie dropping off two five man Scion squads late game so they can advance onto two separate objectives for some cheeky objective stealing.