• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Those strategic reserve rules are nice for melee but absolutely killer against any kind of static gunline. Even more reason to spam those Riptides, I guess.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Those strategic reserve rules are nice for melee but absolutely killer against any kind of static gunline. Even more reason to spam those Riptides, I guess.

Aye. It seems to me like the more updates we get the less effective infantry shooting is. At the moment I'm incentivised to run nothing but barebone squads as speed bumps. Meanwhile any tank or heavy vehicle has seen a massive boost in firepower, and versatility.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Aye. It seems to me like the more updates we get the less effective infantry shooting is. At the moment I'm incentivised to run nothing but barebone squads as speed bumps. Meanwhile any tank or heavy vehicle has seen a massive boost in firepower, and versatility.
Of course, this could be balanced out in theory by the point count changes, but, uh... if you're an army with low access to strong melee, you're going to be at a pretty significant structural disadvantage. Even if you can tweak the numbers to get the winrate up, it'll feel like shit. And if they don't, and vehicles are too expensive to viably replace infantry shooting, then armies like the T'au and Guard are pretty much just dead.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017

I wonder if Breachers will become more popular instead of fire warriors in 9th with more of a focus on close combat. I think physic awakening gave them stratigems to shoot in combat. Add the new terrain rules and morale changes, they look quite appealing.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, apparently, the The Greater Good ability now lets T'au shoot Overwatch for free (no CP cost) so maybe I jumped the gun on how GW would look to balance all this.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Some 9th edition Necron art from the Szarekhan Dynasty article today:

Es69zMF0l0yQ9tU0.jpg

G1wxL8p1NT4tR5f1.jpg

zI27XtsQ5Wc91tY5.jpg

4wXq1MFc5U7yDi2X.jpg

Leaning more into the horror side of the Necrons there! Still loving the new walkers.

This sounds cool:
Szarekhan Crypteks gained a well-deserved reputation, in particular when it came to working with blackstone. So skilled are they now that even their standard foot-troops are given a small amount to shield them from the foul energies of the warp.

New paints coming too:
A new set of paints will be released to help you achieve that aged brass look, alongside our first-ever Technical paint formulated to create glowing effects!

Could be a new Start Collecting set pictured here, they are all push-fit models:
5eLk4Fx0TzN75jMb.jpg

Last edited:

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope they stick with it longer than they have with their other comics partnerships. Of course the fact it's marvel is a big boost in credibility.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
A) glowing paints hell yeah, and-

B) Comics are great as we can get a visual representation of things in canon 40k.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a new Start Collecting set pictured here, they are all push-fit models:
5eLk4Fx0TzN75jMb.jpg
Yeah, I have a feeling that either side of the Indomitus box will be broken down into two start collecting sets. With some of the character units like the Bladegaurd Captain, bikes, and other stuff will end up being solo releases and some easy-to-build kits (like those new gravis armor dudes) down the road.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That Sweep and Clear rule is a great change. You can't just win a game based on outgunning your opponent now, you actually have to maneuver and take risks.

The problem with these sorts of missions before was that the best tactic was just tabling your opponent.

You also won't have to camp objectives anymore. This could potentially be the return of transports, if only in smaller sized games.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
9th edition Actions:
Actions are a new type of ability in Warhammer 40,000 that represent something that your warriors must accomplish in order to achieve victory. They can vary from searching for missing archeotech or activating a series of power generators, to completing a blasphemous ritual to the Dark Gods.

7Dfq8Mq2S3RawF6Y.jpg

W9zpJ08gZRb3aO7B.jpg

Nice one for infantry!

Unit coherency rules:
Pj10ZdPk8jQ3Y9jd.jpg

6NcoY6I1lo9O3tS4.jpg

If units break unit coherency:
j5Oo5K3WqBw4dC1Z.jpg

sU8p1UwQ6Za8Y1wx.jpg

Another Core Stratagem:
6Buc9HB5p0jVxU2T.jpg

Couple of new Datasheets:
7XpN0bHf80kPE9bU.jpg

I7kKm20HoP3zdX97.jpg

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have to be honest the new unit coherency rule feels a bit fussy? It's definitely going to slow down movement if people aren't using trays.

Emergency Disembarkation feels useless too, pay a command point to double the chance your troops inside die?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does hot weather affect how you spray primer? I primed miniatures for the first time in a decade and they look awful; very grainy. I used a citadel primer rattle can and made sure to avoid the first spray hitting the miniature. I might have been a bit far away too but I don't think I was THAT far away.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Does hot weather affect how you spray primer? I primed miniatures for the first time in a decade and they look awful; very grainy. I used a citadel primer rattle can and made sure to avoid the first spray hitting the miniature. I might have been a bit far away too but I don't think I was THAT far away.

It might have been the humidity.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's humid as hell here, so that probably was it. >_< Thanks.

Yeah, I ain't no expert but basically some of the paint dries faster than other bits and the humidity makes some of it dry slower. It mixes together, dries at different rates and you get clumps all over it, like fuzzy grain.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017

Was it a white primer? I bought two Citadel spray cans two years ago. One Chaos Black, the other Corax White. The black has always been fine, the white worked ok like one time and has since fuzzed everything I tried it on.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
I'm a little confused about the new coherency rules. It looks like they're trying to reduce screening and conga lines, but what's stopping players from just shortening their lines a bit to tie up the ends? Like, assuming a unit with 10 models:
qKnuyhG.jpg

Is there more to it? It seems like a nice change, but I'm unsure of how much it's going to budge players away from the practice.

I've had similar issues with Corax White, but Wraithbone went fine! May've just been good luck, but I've heard good things about that and Grey Seer. If it helps, all Citadel sprays (not just Chaos Black and Corax White) can be used as primers. I've been using Leadbelcher and (discontinued) Khorne Red sprays to undercoat my AdMech and haven't had a single issue. Works just as well, and saves a step!

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm a little confused about the new coherency rules. It looks like they're trying to reduce screening and conga lines, but what's stopping players from just shortening their lines a bit to tie up the ends? Like, assuming a unit with 10 models:
qKnuyhG.jpg

Is there more to it? It seems like a nice change, but I'm unsure of how much it's going to budge players away from the practice.

Given that terrain and cover affects individual models now and not units, I suspect they're gonna announce that you aren't gonna be able to choose which of your models get taken off the table.

That's the only reason I could imagine anyway.

shazla

Oct 28, 2017
If units break unit coherency:
j5Oo5K3WqBw4dC1Z.jpg

sU8p1UwQ6Za8Y1wx.jpg

Another Core Stratagem:

THIS is nice, stopping a conga line touching 2 objectives and you shooting the middle of the line while your opponents makes no effort to rejoin the squad back together by not moving. Now one half of that unit simply dies in the morale phase.

Agree everything sounds very fussy and you can tell they might have perhaps listened too much to the competitive scene play testers when writing the final version of some of these

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
qKnuyhG.jpg

I'd guess when that unit takes a casualty it's difficult to take it from anywhere in that example that doesn't lead to losing more models due to breaking unit coherency, leaving you with 5 models.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's targeted to make it hard to spread units out in a long line and control multiple objectives (or just make it hard to manuever around them) because if you lose a middle link you need to consolidate or else lose half your dudes.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I have always thought that conga lines in 8th and in Age of Sigmar were super dumb looking and abusive. Really surprised it took this long to formally rule them out.
Yeah I remember watching an AoS tournament stream a while back where it seemed like everyone had multiple conga lines spread all around the table like webs - visually it looked bloody awful and super gamey, made me miss the days of ranked units.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Those Pariah datasheet leaks out in the wild are neat. Way more interested in running Ephreal, 115 points for the pair seems cool.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
9th edition launches on the 25th of July, Indomitus box pre-orders begin on the 11th of July:

v7CO1yz5BP6sy7AP.jpg

Also launching is the new Chapter Approved:
1zS6Zt3bSxO8iF2C.jpg

The Grand Tournament 2020 Mission pack is … well, packed with new missions, alongside guidance for running and playing in tournaments, special Secondary Objectives, and loads more. It's even got a special binding to make it extra friendly to the tabletop setting. The second book is the Munitorum Field Manual, which holds a full list of updated points for Warhammer 40,000 units. With their powers combined, the new Chapter Approved will have you on the cutting edge of Warhammer 40,000 competitive gaming.

New Open War cards:
r6T4cJsN9nN16cD3.jpg

These allow you to quickly and easily generate a mission by randomly choosing a deployment, objective and twist for your battle. There are also ways of evening up games where there is a difference in Power Levels between players so they work great for spontaneous pickup games. With thousands of different combinations, these cards will keep you busy for a good long while without ever repeating a game (unless you want to).

Crusade journal:
4Bx6HjwH7Od0B5tR.jpg

vE6m2X4vX7LzY4kt.jpg

This army and campaign tracker is a great way to celebrate the fantastic new Crusade system, and we could not be more excited to get started. This book is going to allow any budding warlord or conqueror to log all their glorious victories (and also the glorious non-victories) and let you easily follow the journey of your Crusade force as it grows from a simple patrol into a mighty war host conquering the galaxy. Get ready to write your war stories and be sure to order your Crusade Journal on Day 1 (which, in case you missed it earlier, is July 11th).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
9Iq6SoAc7S7s1nO3.jpg

The Supreme Command Detachment ensures that adding some of the 41st Millennium's most legendary commanders to your army doesn't penalise you on Command points

9eX7oZP6kMm1k4U6.jpg

Psyker-heavy armies have three rather excellent secondary objectives to choose from in their matched play battles, giving you plenty of ways to score some all-important victory points. Take Mental Interrogation – your front-line Psykers will be able to score you points, presumably representing knowledge torn from the minds of the unwilling! Even if it doesn't secure you victory, it is a great excuse to do an extremely evil laugh.

W3vgG9m9VV7nx0B9.jpg

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
If they're really not releasing the core rulebook on the 25th that seems extremely ill-judged.

Edit: They are releasing it the same day, it just wasn't mentioned. Crisis averted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
If they're really not releasing the core rulebook on the 25th that seems extremely ill-judged.
They said on the Twitch stream today that there's more to be revealed on the run-up to the 11th that will also be on pre-order, probably includes the rulebook. The 40K app also launches on the 11th which has a full 9th edition matched play army builder using the new points values.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
That Starcraft bunker looks (and probably is, if that "Drop" means what I think it means) stupid.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Leaks, leaks everwhere.

The Judicar is a troll, I love it. I've been thinking on how WhiteScarize it for weeks, can't wait to do a shitty conversion.

Also, LOL at getting 10 victory points for having the army painted.