• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Turns out I'm fairly productive when stuck in my house for months. Got my Titan up to the point where he just needs weathering but I'm waiting on him getting some arms to do it all at once, finished two imperial knights and then did this lot:

1c207c25-640a-4627-8pnk0a.jpeg

041f0808-1adc-487d-aszjgi.jpeg

af1e4222-73f3-44b4-8baj2j.jpeg

Undecided on what to paint next, it's either three different battlewagons and two trukks or another 30 boyz. Swinging towards the vehicles for now.

Oct 26, 2017
Turns out I'm fairly productive when stuck in my house for months. Got my Titan up to the point where he just needs weathering but I'm waiting on him getting some arms to do it all at once, finished two imperial knights and then did this lot:

1c207c25-640a-4627-8pnk0a.jpeg

041f0808-1adc-487d-aszjgi.jpeg

af1e4222-73f3-44b4-8baj2j.jpeg

Undecided on what to paint next, it's either three different battlewagons and two trukks or another 30 boyz. Swinging towards the vehicles for now.
looks great

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
That seems like a positive change to the game. Painful enough to make surrounding an emery still worth doing but now it isn't a complete death sentence for shooty armies like the Tau and Guard to have their units surrounded. It makes my Poxwalkers a little less effective at tying up units but honestly the 'Cut them Down' tactics combined with 'Desperate Breakout' will probably do more damage to the trapped units then my pox ever would by themselves.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That makes sense for it being 2 CP. An expensive emergency maneuver.

I feel Mechanicus was an odd choice to showcase this strategem. It would be more significant for something big like Knights getting trapped in assault rather than a Skitarri infantry unit.

I can't think of any situation I'd spend 2cp to save probably like 3 models in any infantry unit unless I really needed objective secure.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel Mechanicus was an odd choice to showcase this strategem. It would be more significant for something big like Knights getting trapped in assault rather than a Skitarri infantry unit.

I can't think of any situation I'd spend 2cp to save probably like 3 models in any infantry unit unless I really needed objective secure.
Max squads.
This is designed for gaurd and Tau gunlines imho

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
its not for saving the guys in combat its for shooting the guys they are in combat with

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Not the highest chance of this happening, but it would be funny and thematic if you used Desperate Breakout to suicide a vehicle and it exploded on the way out. Nice little parting gift on your attackers.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly kind of bummed that the "every faction will get new stuff" in Psychic Awakening is getting past on a technicality because Ephrael Stern is a Sororita that can be taken by all Imperium armies it sounds like.

Was really kind of hoping they'd have a bit more varity in Adepta Sororitas with Pariah. Or at the very least give custom orders.

Dec 24, 2017
There's WH40K Easter egg in TLOU2. But it's fiction, because it clearly appears someone finished painting all their minis before the apocalypse.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Honestly kind of bummed that the "every faction will get new stuff" in Psychic Awakening is getting past on a technicality because Ephrael Stern is a Sororita that can be taken by all Imperium armies it sounds like.

Was really kind of hoping they'd have a bit more varity in Adepta Sororitas with Pariah. Or at the very least give custom orders.

I think that's because of when their codex was written. It doesn't need and update. Necrons are not really getting rules either - makes sense with their 9th edition codex around the corner

We riot!

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bummed that the book named "Pariah" with the Necron on the cover does not feature any Necron Pariahs.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Yeah there's not much new for Necrons there, but I can understand why with the new codex coming so soon. They'd either be duplicating more rules content in both books, or Necron players would need to carry two books with them for their army through all of 9th edition.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So, as somebody looking to jump in to 40k hobby the first time, when are you people expecting the 9th edition to be released?

Will every faction get a codex in 9th edition? Looking into the Tau Empire and Chaos Space Marines (World Eaters), but don't want to buy the codex for these armies if their going to get a new codex and range of models soon.

So, as somebody looking to jump in to 40k hobby the first time, when are you people expecting the 9th edition to be released?

Will every faction get a codex in 9th edition? Looking into the Tau Empire and Chaos Space Marines (World Eaters), but don't want to buy the codex for these armies if their going to get a new codex and range of models soon.
9th edition is expected to hit in July.
9th edition is designed so current codexes will work for basic faction rules and datasheets. But:
Factions will slowly get new codex due to new models, and/or new features in 9th edition.
Every faction will probably get a codex but it could take years.
The Psychic Awakening series was written with 9th edition in mind. It provides some updated rules and features for a number of factions that haven't been updated in a while.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
9th edition is expected to hit in July.
9th edition is designed so current codexes will work for basic faction rules and datasheets. But:
Factions will slowly get new codex due to new models, and/or new features in 9th edition.
Every faction will probably get a codex but it could take years.

I see. Thanks for that.

In that case I might jump straight in with the Necrons. They look call and they were my second favourite race in the original Dawn of War (right after the Tau Empire).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I see. Thanks for that.

In that case I might jump straight in with the Necrons. They look call and they were my second favourite race in the original Dawn of War (right after the Tau Empire).
If you're going to go for Necrons, the new box set seems very good value. You could always pick it up and sell on the marines if you don't want them. Generally the army books are always worth picking up for whatever faction you have just for lore, art, painting guides etc. On the rare occasion that I've picked up an army book and it was replaced less than a year later, I've never felt like it was a waste of cash, as it usually saved me time in getting the force going and practice in on the tabletop.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If you're going to go for Necrons, the new box set seems very good value. You could always pick it up and sell on the marines if you don't want them. Generally the army books are always worth picking up for whatever faction you have just for lore, art, painting guides etc. On the rare occasion that I've picked up an army book and it was replaced less than a year later, I've never felt like it was a waste of cash, as it usually saved me time in getting the force going and practice in on the tabletop.

Thanks for the tip. Might treat myself to the Tau Empire codex this week!

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017

I would be a bit cautious of starting off with Tau or Necron, as someone new to the game.

Tau do not have a psychic phase, and their combat phase is really limited. Necron have no psychic ic phase either.

To learn and get a feel of the game, it's a good idea to try a faction that properly experiences all parts of the game.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I would be a bit cautious of starting off with Tau or Necron, as someone new to the game.

Tau do not have a psychic phase, and their combat phase is really limited. Necron have no psychic ic phase either.

To learn and get a feel of the game, it's a good idea to try a faction that properly experiences all parts of the game.

Thanks. So I take it Space Marines are a decent all rounder to start with? I take they're also getting a 9th edition codex in July?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I had to laugh.

Thanks. So I take it Space Marines are a decent all rounder to start with? I take they're also getting a 9th edition codex in July?

Space Marines are the poster boys of 40k. You can be certain they will get EVERYTHING 9th edition will bring. That being said, I firmly believe you should start with whatever army looks the coolest to you. A simple start collecting box would do the trick.

Oct 26, 2017
Man why is everything they've released such a CHORE to read through?!
yep. im worried.

im worried that 9th is gonna be word diarrhea salad to read.

It's the result of bubble game design. ( designed and writing rules in a bubble with your co workers) with taking little to no input from the normal people.
who upon looking at a "simple" rule cant understand it besides, why in the fuck is it 4 run on sentences.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I feel like the rules writers are trying to dodge potential rules lawyering abuses for tournament play, but it comes across as very wordy. Apparently they've been genuinely taking input from outside playtesters this time around. There's got to be a better way of laying it all out, and it wouldn't hurt to include the promised diagrams in the preview articles to help those of us who find the wording of the new rules confusing.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the rules writers are trying to dodge potential rules lawyering abuses for tournament play, but it comes across as very wordy. Apparently they've been genuinely taking input from outside playtesters this time around. There's got to be a better way of laying it all out, and it wouldn't hurt to include the promised diagrams in the preview articles to help those of us who find the wording of the new rules confusing.
ya, but by making solid measuring on terrain a thing for rules to fit it will get people gaming terrain.

"dense" should be applied to "forests, pillars and other like debris"
and the size of the "save" should be determined by the wounds on the model.
i.e. the more wounds, the bigger, and easier to hit.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that they try to cover a lot issues with the rules but they've got to find a better way to put these on paper instead of these long long phrases.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Strategic Reserves:
The Strategic Reserves rules are designed for use by Battle-forged armies and represent the tactical advantages that a well-organised force will enjoy not only on the battlefield but in the wider theatre of war. They give YOU total command over your strategy, offering you the chance to divide your forces, outmanoeuvre your opponent and hold back reinforcements, just as battlefield leaders have done for countless generations! If used with sufficient cunning, Strategic Reserves have the potential to give you a massive advantage over your opponent by outflanking them or bringing overwhelming force to bear and blunting their attacks – as you're about to see.

The ability to place units into Strategic Reserves costs Command points, depending on the combined Power Ratings of the units you wish to deploy in this manner. It's worth pointing out at this stage that, if your units have abilities that enable them to set up somewhere other than the battlefield (such as a teleportarium chamber for the Teleport Strike ability of Terminators or when using the Cult Ambush ability of the Genestealer Cults), the Strategic Reserves rules don't apply to them.

kC11iZ4fRRk69eM2.jpg

Though it may seem like using Strategic Reserves to shield some of your most valuable units from the guns of your enemies is a no-brainer, it comes at a cost beyond a few Command points. Strategic Reserves can't arrive until the second battle round at the earliest, as they're busy moving into position. As a result, if you hold more units back, the forces you do deploy on the battlefield may find themselves heavily outnumbered at the start of the battle.

However, bringing fresh forces onto the battlefield in the right place and at the right time can turn a battle's outcome on its head. There's more to it as well – the longer you hold your nerve and keep your Strategic Reserves off the battlefield, the further forward they can advance to outflank the enemy army and launch an attack, even directly into your opponent's deployment zone itself!

h0CXk2Me6pO2Pp8b.jpg

This delayed reinforcements method is especially effective with melee-focused armies – especially if you're able to support such an attack with abilities or Stratagems that offer bonuses or re-rolls to charge rolls, such as with Orks, Black Templars or Tyranids of Hive Fleet Behemoth. Being able to get the jump on your opponent in their own deployment zone can be devastating to their battle plans.

Lying in Ambush - Strategic Reserves aren't all about outflanking the enemy, though. Should your opponent overcommit with their initial attack, it's possible to deliver a punishing counter-blow with your reinforcements. Strategic Reserves units can't normally be set up within 9″ of any enemy models, but if you set them up within 1″ of your own battlefield edge, they can be set up within this distance – and even within the 1″ Engagement Range of enemy models! If they do so, they count as having made a charge move, and your opponent will be unable to fire Overwatch against them!

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Reminds me a tiny bit of the necromunda bottling and fleeing checks, with how you check on a model by model basis