• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
hdatrvpeqp451.png

"Battle brother Griff, what in the emperor's name is a Puma?"

"It's a kind of large cat, Brother-Sergeant."

"Do not make up animals, Battle-Brother. Do you see, how the bolsters at the front look like tusks? What sort of animal has tusks?"

"A... Walrus, battle-sergeant?"

"Did I not just tell you to stop making up animals?!?"

Okay, I like it now. I also want to make a Death watch team that's just the RvB cast.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Have to say, this is a disappointing Faction Focus today:

With a new Necron codex and lots of new units coming, they highlight two Necron rules which are literally, word for word, exactly the same as they are in the 8th edition codex (Mephrit: Solar Fury and Grand Illusion).

Additionally, the new Necron Warrior gun is rapid fire with a range of only 14", rapid firing at just 7"! So you have to get pretty close to the enemy to shoot at all with what is primarily supposed to be a ranged unit, and dangerously close to get effective shooting out of them. Feels like a trap, I'd probably take Immortals with the 24" range version of this gun instead, unless their rules or points change significantly.

Oh and apparently Death Rays are a little bit better at shooting squads of 6+ Space Marines.

Edit:

Another moan about the Necron Faction Focus article :D

GW responded to critical comments saying:
"This is aimed at providing an overview of the faction for people maybe considering starting Necrons in the new edition."
Which is fair enough but a bit misleading when the article intro says:
"hints and tips to help get your existing armies ready for the new edition"

Necrons are serious business, OK?

Sorry ;D

Last edited:

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
anyone know the best way to get into the lore of both Warhammer Fantasy and 40k? Do I just purchase the individual "faction" rule books at my pace while accompanied by fan wikis?

Oct 26, 2017
Have to say, this is a disappointing Faction Focus today:

With a new Necron codex and lots of new units coming, they highlight two Necron rules which are literally, word for word, exactly the same as they are in the 8th edition codex (Mephrit: Solar Fury and Grand Illusion).

Additionally, the new Necron Warrior gun is rapid fire with a range of only 14", rapid firing at just 7"! So you have to get pretty close to the enemy to shoot at all with what is primarily supposed to be a ranged unit, and dangerously close to get effective shooting out of them. Feels like a trap, I'd probably take Immortals with the 24" range version of this gun instead, unless their rules or points change significantly.

Oh and apparently Death Rays are a little bit better at shooting squads of 6+ Space Marines.
I think the monolith will act as a necorn version of a tervigon.
monolith can bring 10 necron warriors on the field, or replenish 10.

combo it with the reanimator.
5++ resserect.

a you get a slow march of doom army, that either wont stay dead, or just replinishes the ranks

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
anyone know the best way to get into the lore of both Warhammer Fantasy and 40k? Do I just purchase the individual "faction" rule books at my pace while accompanied by fan wikis?

The army books (codex/battletome) have some cool art and pics of minis, and sometimes the text is good (and sometimes it is not). I wouldn't just randomly buy them, but if there is a faction you love, buying their codex / battletome isn't the worst idea. If you aren't interested in playing you can often pick up books from the previous edition very cheap at used book stores.The 7th edition 40K books are very nice and also cheap.

otherwise I would maybe recommend some of the novels? Eisenhorn is a very good novel about an inquisitor that would be good for someone completely unfamiliar with the 40K setting. The tie-in nove to 8th edition, Dark Imperium was also good and kind of lets you know some of what is currenty happening in the universe.

fantasy is harder to recommend; the old fantasy world is gone, and the new Age of Sigmar books started pretty rough. The newer ones are supposed to be better, but it is clear they put most of their best writers on 40K. The Age of Sigmar core books (both editions) have more lore than rules, so might give you a good overview of setting (esp the second one).

Oct 26, 2017
I think the OuterDark might be a cool book to start.

and for 40k, I think Flight of the Eseintsein*? might be a good starter ( even though its 30k), i've heard good things about it.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
awesome. Thanks guys. my experience with the lore is mostly Warhammer Fantasy factions books, of which most had stellar writing.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I would go Lexicanum and then whatever book or book series it may get your attention due its focus.

The usual entry points are either the Eisenhorn novels (following an Inquisitor), the Gaunt's Ghosts series (following a Commissar and his Imperial Guard regiment) and the first few books of the Horus Heresy (following an Astartes captain under Horus command. Then the series start jumping around and touch everything and everyone on uneven quality, but the first books are *great*).

Oct 25, 2017

For 40K I'd recommend the YT Channel Luetin09. He's got a playlist that goes through the lore pretty much in chronological order/major topics first, preceded by a general intro to the universe. His videos are probably that only ones that have for me captured the scale, scope and nuances of the universe (for example sure he might explain that 99% of Imperium planets fall into these X categories of planet classifications, but there's that 1%, perhaps fewer that don't and are wholly rare and unique, and even of those X categories, there are plenty of exceptions to the norm in each) and opening your mind to the possibilities of the lore, in a way that I always assumed was there in my head. He does a good job of stating when he's offering conjecture or speculation too.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting thing I noticed while looking at the transfer sheet for the Indomitus box and I noticed in very, VERY small text above five red Dark Angels chapter badges that I'm almost certain say Deathwing Company. Which is odd since there are no terminators in the box and We know that Gravis armored battle brothers aren't apart of the Deathwing. Not to mention that there are only three of the new melta dudes. So are the blade guard veterans going to be painted in Deathwing colors? There are enough icons for for some combination of all three vets, the ancient, lieutenant, and captain ( and possibly Chaplain and Judicar). I have a feeling that's going to make a bunch of lore nerds reeeeal angry.

An interesting thing I noticed while looking at the transfer sheet for the Indomitus box and I noticed in very, VERY small text above five red Dark Angels chapter badges that I'm almost certain say Deathwing Company. Which is odd since there are no terminators in the box and We know that Gravis armored battle brothers aren't apart of the Deathwing. Not to mention that there are only three of the new melta dudes. So are the blade guard veterans going to be painted in Deathwing colors? There are enough icons for for some combination of all three vets, the ancient, lieutenant, and captain ( and possibly Chaplain and Judicar). I have a feeling that's going to make a bunch of lore nerds reeeeal angry.
I mean they are Terminators in everything but name, GW really fumbled them with the primaris...

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I'm building a mob of HUGE Meganobz right now (the one based on 3rd Ed Ghazzy is the runt of the litter, though he's twice as wide thanks to bigger claws) and I need a ride for them.

Does anyone here know how big the Big Trakk from FW is compared to a Battlewagon? It looks pretty cool, anyway. And they wouldn't look right next to a regular trukk 🤣

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That surprises me less. One of my biggest complains of the modern 40k is that everything shoots (or attacks) too much, this just keeps the trend.
People like rolling lots of dice and feeling like their units do something every turn. Balancing around that makes more sense than the opposite, IMO.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Overwatch in 9th edition is a 1CP Core Stratagem:

z5U3Igj9JBg9w9Lb.jpg

C9mz6E6OmFw2U0al.jpg

You may find that some units benefit from other special rules that modify Overwatch as well, such as the T'au Empire's For the Greater Good special rule, essentially giving them two-for-one Overwatch fire – a brilliant use of a single Command point!
Be careful, though – a savvy enemy might be able to catch you off-guard if you're in their deployment zone. The Strategic Reserves rule allows a unit to deploy on their own table edge, even if it's within Engagement Range (1") of an enemy, and proceed to make attacks as though they charged! This is such a situational rarity that it probably won't come up very often, but a stunt like that completely bypasses Overwatch to surprise unwary or careless opponents.
In general, attackers will want to carefully choose the order of their charges to coax the other player into using Overwatch prematurely, and defenders will need to consider whether they should withhold their Overwatch fire for later. You may find some units or circumstances granting Overwatch without the need for a Stratagem – these will be very valuable indeed!

Terrain benefits:
f8SC2z6hFVl8bA5o.jpg

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
That's a *huge* change. And I like it.

I would still prefer the old overwatch (as giving that order to a unit during your turn and shooting to enemy troops moving in their LOS), but hey, the more the game forces the player to take decisions, the better.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
regstd-jun17-valkyrien9kvg.jpg

regimental-standard.com

Drop! Dive! Kill!

Happy flying, Guardsmen! Your regiment is fortunate enough to be working alongside the Aeronautica Imperialis, those brave masters of the skies. This has several benefits, from saving you the trou…

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Feel like Tau would need a significant rework, or given some new units that are decent enough in melee.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've been into the 40k lore with video games and books for years, but never the actual table top game. However, I'm currently looking for a new hobby and with 9th edition around the corner I thought it would be the perfect time to jump in.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I've been into the 40k lore with video games and books for years, but never the actual table top game. However, I'm currently looking for a new hobby and with 9th edition around the corner I thought it would be the perfect time to jump in.

Better time than any. They seem to be designing 9th to be placed with less points, and a lot of these changes seem like it will make a more dynamic game experience.

Last edited:

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Sautekh color scheme so much better than the new dynasty they have been showing off. I know it is a little vanilla, but the cold, monochrome silver / black / green scheme looks so good.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I love that the title of the rule has carried on from WFB over the last 30 years. I remember 'Look out, sir!' being a way to save your characters in units from eating a cannonball in WFB, unless of course you threw a 1 on a d6.

Hilariously this also applied to undead, so you could either imagine the dark majesty of a necromancer physically shielding himself with bodies, or, as we used to pretend, comical 'The Evil Dead' skeletons gamely throwing a vampire out of the way while struggling to cry a warning when they no longer had vocal cords!

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I've played another Epic game today, this time with my Scars (although I was using the Ravenwing list because the current WS rules are boring), against a pure Deathwing list (aka 15 Land Raiders, tons of terminators, some Dreadnoughts and 4 Thunderhawk transport as air support).

A much closer game than I expected after the first couple turns, mostly because his Thunderhawks squadrons (with much less weapons than the regular gunship, wrong miniature) annihilated everything they faced. Holy dakka. 2-1 at the end. Loved it.

O7LJ387.jpg

817usU0.jpg

ISzUR9V.jpg

On the table next to us there were some Imperial Guards with a couple Warhounds being massacred by Orks.

KVHfDyX.png

Last edited:

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

What does that even mean? They use character model and character unit in the same goddamn phrase. Who the fuck writes these?

Edit : I guess they mean to say you can't target a character hiding in a unit if they're close to other units/monsters/vehicles unless the character is visible and the closest to the shooter? Still, the writing is confusing as hell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Yeah I had to read it several times so I'm glad it's not just me, lol.

They have promised lots of diagrams in this edition though so hopefully those will help.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that... does not make a ton of sense.

So it's:

You cannot target a unit that contains a character with max wounds 9 and under, using a ranged weapon, if that unit is within 3" of a vehicle, a monster, or a friendly unit with 3 or more models, unless that unit is both visible and the closest unit to the unit doing the targeting. Other units that contain character models with max 9 wounds or less do not count when figuring out which unit is closest.

(Using commas to seperate conditions isn't really grammatically correct but I find it makes it easier to parse, IMO)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
As a Tau player, I'm not too nervous about the new overwatch. I'm hoping/guessing Tau will have some some units who can overwatch naturally without a strategem.

As for these drips of information, I'm kind of tired of all my 40K podcats and youtube channels being filled with nothing but 9th edition discussion. They get one tiny bit of information, then they dedicate a whole video or episode to deep diving what should be a 5 minute conversation. I've taken a pause on listening to any for now.

Oct 26, 2017
As a Tau player, I'm not too nervous about the new overwatch. I'm hoping/guessing Tau will have some some units who can overwatch naturally without a strategem.

As for these drips of information, I'm kind of tired of all my 40K podcats and youtube channels being filled with nothing but 9th edition discussion. They get one tiny bit of information, then they dedicate a whole video or episode to deep diving what should be a 5 minute conversation. I've taken a pause on listening to any for now.
would be cool is early warning override provided overwatch for free ( no strat cost) on suits with it.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that... does not make a ton of sense.

So it's:

You cannot target a unit that contains a character with max wounds 9 and under, using a ranged weapon, if that unit is within 3" of a vehicle, a monster, or a friendly unit with 3 or more models, unless that unit is both visible and the closest unit to the unit doing the targeting. Other units that contain character models with max 9 wounds or less do not count when figuring out which unit is closest.

(Using commas to seperate conditions isn't really grammatically correct but I find it makes it easier to parse, IMO)
so ya, its a mess.

I read it as the following.

A. If character has original 9 wounds or less.
B. If that character is within 3" of a vehicle, monster, or unit with 3+ models.*
C. *Must be Visible to the firing model.
D. *MUST be the closest model to the firing model.

if all 4 are met then the character can be shot at.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
so ya, its a mess.

I read it as the following.

A. If character has original 9 wounds or less.
B. If that character is within 3" of a vehicle, monster, or unit with 3+ models.*
C. *Must be Visible to the firing model.
D. *MUST be the closest model to the firing model.

if all 4 are met then the character can be shot at.

They should just lay it in bullet points ut like this. This much simpler.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
That rule seems to be worded pretty well to me. There is no ambiguity even if it might take a couple of passes. The one problem is that two characters with less than 9 wounds and the monster keyword (eg Daemon Princes), that are within 3" of each other, can't be targeted if they're not the closest unit.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know why they just don't write some of the rules out using bullet points. Especially when there are variables with 'and', 'or', 'unless' etc.

Would be so much easier to read. Look at legal statues. Everything is broken up into sections and subsection to make things clearer and to attempt to remove ambiguity.

Maybe it is done that way for translation reasons, or to save space?