• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They haven't always been on the ball with condemning the Imperium and like Redcrayon says it's pretty bad timing considering the crime series (though admittingly that blurb does imply that theres nuance to it).

But, they are also one of a small few companies that actually have come out and said "This matters, if you don't like it, fuck off!" and havn't been afraid to upset their market. You will not be missed is a real strong statement.
Yeah totally.
Just listening to voxcast over the last year or so with talks from all the writers, they've all been pretty clear about the nature of the Imperium, it's origins and what it does and doesn't mean, it's been good to see them get better at it. I remember it being much clearer in the 80s through the comedy element that has been pretty much lost as they started to take themselves more seriously over the next few decades. They've become much more confident and bolder in communication over the last few years though, especially in letting writers talk about the design process and metacommentary on it etc, drawing a firm line where writers can happily point out the ridiculousness, the parody elements like tech-priests and the 'ritual tap' of percussive maintenance etc!

Agree totally on the 'you will not be missed' (which is itself a reference to a an old 40k blurb, "The universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed"). Naturally some bigots are not taking it well on stuff like Warhammer TVs Facebook page, but it's heartwarming that they are getting drowned out by overwhelming support for it. Another case where 'Gamers' are finally being told categorically that excluding people through 'buh buh buh my take on your lore says it's all white guys only' or just outright prejudice is just not welcome.

Last edited:

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I like that statement, the last sentence is a great message.

Tabletop brings people together cause we share a common interest. When I was working for Games Workshop I got to know so many people and it was always great to see people of different age, ethnic and interest groups come together and enjoy this hobby together.

On a completely different note:
I kinda miss the old days of 40k (pre 3rd editon) the cheesyness and all those over the top metal and 80 action movie Artworks were so much fun.
It feels after that when everything got moar Grimdark we are now at a point where everything is so fucked and so Edgy and so over the top :(

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like that statement, the last sentence is a great message.

Tabletop brings people together cause we share a common interest. When I was working for Games Workshop I got to know so many people and it was always great to see people of different age, ethnic and interest groups come together and enjoy this hobby together.

On a completely different note:
I kinda miss the old days of 40k (pre 3rd editon) the cheesyness and all those over the top metal and 80 action movie Artworks were so much fun.
It feels after that when everything got moar Grimdark we are now at a point where everything is so fucked and so Edgy and so over the top :(
I used to work for them too, agree entirely. Before the lore and a narrative direction was really set, permanently leaving the Imperium, Eldar etc at '1 minute to midnight', the original Rogue Trader was more of an RPG background setting for skirmish games than a focus on big heroes and big villains and big moments between them as their schemes reaching fruition. A lot of the background was on the more
mundane aspects of how the imperium 'works' rather than the completely-pushed-to-11 context between demigod-like characters and elite formations, and also a lot more obviously 80s-action-film stuff and also just weird one-off happenings to illustrate 'there's room for everything'. The former is the element I really liked in Chris Wraight's 'Vaults of Terra' series, that outlined what being a civilian on Terra is like. I feel like that's been lost over the years, the minutiae and mundanity of it's awfulness, perhaps because it didn't have the same urgency where they want to make people feel like every game they play with the expensive kits they buy matters, and that all the heroes in the novels they sell make a small difference somehow, which is fair enough really!

Last edited:

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I think that's one reason why people enjoy Necromunda so much. It's narrative is closer to the people and their daily struggle in this harsh universe.

It's also one of the reasons I enjoy the Heresy so much more. Between all of the actions those demigods are doing, you also see a lot of the universe from the eyes of a normal human, experiencing the horrors of war. Space Marines are less the cold blooded warriors simply fighting for the greater goal of human surviving, they fight for the people that surround them, from bonds and share their pains.

That scene in one of the early books, when Horus was wounded and the Lunar Wolves just shoved their way through the crowds was so intense cause everyone was affected, it was just not some "sacrifice that had to be made", there were consequences to it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think that's one reason why people enjoy Necromunda so much. It's narrative is closer to the people and their daily struggle in this harsh universe.

It's also one of the reasons I enjoy the Heresy so much more. Between all of the actions those demigods are doing, you also see a lot of the universe from the eyes of a normal human, experiencing the horrors of war. Space Marines are less the cold blooded warriors simply fighting for the greater goal of human surviving, they fight for the people that surround them, from bonds and share their pains.

That scene in one of the early books, when Horus was wounded and the Lunar Wolves just shoved their way through the crowds was so intense cause everyone was affected, it was just not some "sacrifice that had to be made", there were consequences to it.
Yeah. Another of the more recent lore developments I really like is kinda linked to that- the Custodes really despising Astartes for their loyalty to each other over the Emperor and, by extension, the Imperium. Like that recent PA story, "Consequences".

I'm sure some fans are like "but it's so unfair, it was the chaos gods, and the way they were made!" Whereas I'm like "Yeah, the whole setting is unfair, and marines (and every other Imperial faction with any authority) do that to everyone beneath them all the time." :D Having an Imperial faction with a perfectly understandable hatred of Astartes, and the political and martial power to back it up, was a nice job in bringing the politics of Terra back to the fore, which I really like.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Fuck ya. Warhammer.

image0.jpg

Racists can get a visit from the Inquisition
5a2s1Yu.gif

(Seriously that is a great statement)

Oct 26, 2017
so I'm hearing rumblings that troop choices might get some type of ability that lets them hold a command node and still shoot/ fight.

and that being a additional reason to bring troops over elite infantry.

is it real, I have no friggin idea

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that I'm a little bummed all the Engine War stuff for Knights don't apply to Aux detachments? :(

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We expecting anything interesting from the Warhammer Daily stuff? Wondering about the icons on each day, want tau deets ;__;

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't love that Guilliman art, tbh. He looks... old, worn down. And I guess that could kinda be the point, but it's kind of a weird way to handle a hero shot.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't like the wings, makes him too angelic. That was surely the point of Sangy getting slain, to sign the end of hope in the 30k universe, and the start of the decent into the grim dark future

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Notice the difference? Only Infantry models subtract 1 from their hit rolls when firing Heavy weapons after moving, meaning your Vehicles and Monsters will no longer be affected (nor will Bikes or any other form of non-Infantry units, for that matter). That means your biggest and best units will be free to take the fight to the foe with extreme prejudice!

RIP non-tank armies.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, want to salute to all my Land Speeders and Attack Bikes, that will be returning from the deeps of my shelves.

Dec 24, 2017
The Ravenwing is tumescent.

Also, did not know that people really don't see the joke of the Imperium of Man. Nice to see all the triggered real fascists outing themselves.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Oh, that's a good point. It'll probably be balanced out a bit by the comparative increase in difficulty in fielding those non-Infantry units.

They'll have to nail the point costs to dodge the all-tank/all-monster comps.

They are gonna have to nail it. Cus at the moment I can increase all my vehicle weapons firepower exponentially more than my troops. And now that they shoot at full BS I can hide them fully behind cover during first turn without losing any killing ability.

My guardsmen will litteraly just be running meat-speed-bump duty the way this is going.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Explosive weapons make more sense now:
We've all been there – a numberless horde of Tyranids is hurtling towards your army, but even as you line up your trusty ordnance weapon to blast a ruinous chunk from of their ranks, you roll a 1 for the number of shots it fires. Well, no more! The new rules for Blast weapons ensure you get the most bang for your buck when targeting larger concentrations of enemy troops…
Hk1L3bsU3Z2y2Ev3.jpg

That's right – weapons designed to engage and destroy large groups of enemies will benefit from a more reliable number of attacks to ensure they make their presence felt. As you can see, it's not all about heavy ordnance weaponry either, but grenades and a whole bunch of other, more esoteric, guns, warheads and munitions as well. All 174 Blast weapons and Relics listed in the back of the new Warhammer 40,000 Core Book gain this ability.
Despite their cool new rules, Blast weapons don't get it all their own way – there is one drawback that makes your choice of vehicle turrets, sponsons or monstrous munitions all the more important. As we mentioned in yesterday's article, Vehicles and Monsters can shoot their weapons at enemy units within Engagement Range (1″) of them. However, they cannot do so with Blast weapons…
Hl15yZ9jPk9Gy2Mk.jpg

They mentioned on the stream that there are other new rules to be revealed that will benefit infantry.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Remind me, is there a difference between flamers and blast weapons? I haven't played in many years but I would have thought flamer sponsons exist specifically to keep troops off!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That looks good. And if I undertand it seems it's for the weapon, not per dice. So if something has 3D3 attacks, it doesn't make a minimum of 9.

Remind me, is there a difference between flamers and blast weapons? I haven't played in many years but I would have thought flamer sponsons exist specifically to keep troops off!

You roll D6 for both but Flamers are auto-hit weapons whereas blast weapons still rely on ballistic skill. So flamers were good for overwatch, and surprisingly anti-air.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You roll D6 for both but Flamers are auto-hit weapons whereas blast weapons still rely on ballistic skill. So flamers were good for overwatch, and surprisingly anti-air.
Lovely, thanks! I'm looking forward to this, going to start building a force for it. Torn between sisters and rebuilding my Dark Angels though

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
regstd-jun10-welcometocadia27cch3.jpg

regimental-standard.com

Welcome Back to Cadia!

Greetings, Guardsmen. We have tremendous news. In your pursuit of the mysterious figure known as “The Spider”, we are posting you to Cadia. Yes, the Cadia! Despite rumours spread by the Archenemy,…

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I really like the typography on these posters, it reminds me of the nightmarish Scarfolk, a parody of 1970s information leaflets.

Scarfolk Council

Scarfolk is a town in North West England that did not progress beyond 1979. Instead, the entire decade of the 1970s loops ad infinitum. Here in Scarfolk, pagan rituals blend seamlessly with science; hauntology is a compulsory subject at school, and everyone must be in bed by 8pm because they are...

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow I'll play my first Epic 40k game in... ¿20 years? Just got the last* batch of Vultures to complete my GI air cavalry army:

9Z4YnhB.png

Now to try to figure out how I'll transport this (and their stands) plus 38 infantry stands and 12 sentinels.

*I actually want 4 more for variety reasons, but they can wait :P

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Terrain rules today, and some good news for infantry:

This seems to be the biggest rework of the new rules. A lot of new and important rules.

Biggest thing of note though and some great news for infantry: It says model not unit.

Tomorrow I'll play my first Epic 40k game in... ¿20 years? Just got the last* batch of Vultures to complete my GI air cavalry army:

9Z4YnhB.png

Now to try to figure out how I'll transport this (and their stands) plus 38 infantry stands and 12 sentinels.

*I actually want 4 more for variety reasons, but they can wait :P

Dunno if they'll fit but if you're looking for something cheap a lot of tool carry cases (like for nails and stuff) might work. You can find them for like £10 in supermarkets.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Aircraft in 9th edition:
When a Flyer moves off the battlefield, it can enter Strategic Reserves, meaning it'll be available to return to the battle later in the game. What's more, they can move onto the battlefield with far greater freedom than any other units arriving in this manner. In fact, your aircraft will be able to come and go as they please, provided that your opponent doesn't spoil their fun by shooting them down…

gF4L9k0QsM2cAo9K.jpg

Another key feature of the new rules for Flyers is how they interact with units on the ground. As aircraft are typically soaring overhead and not skimming along the ground, they don't interfere with them or hinder their movement in any way. After all, a Flyer's base is only there to help keep it aloft! Here are the highlights of how this works…

1gKz7Jq1GrZ84eOv.jpg

The bullet points above are actually a preview of how each rules topic is conveniently summarised at the end of each section for easy reference. If you need a reminder, check the bullet points, but if you seek further clarification, you just read the full description above them. If only all things in life were that simple!

You'll also have noticed a new keyword being referenced in those rules – Aircraft. That's because, where appropriate, many Flyers will now gain the Aircraft keyword to allow more specific rule interactions, such as those used with Infantry, Monsters, Vehicles and the like. In case there's any doubt, at the back of the Warhammer 40,000 Core Book, you'll find this handy list that officially clarifies which units gain the new Aircraft keyword.

2nDWv1P0i6nY9UlQ.jpg

The list of Forge World Flyers receiving the Aircraft keyword will be included in their rules updates on the same day that the new edition is launched.