• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Started looking into the price increases that came about recently and I gotta say it's really killing any interest I have in getting more models in the future.

Like paying more for outdated models of transports or infantry units than I did for what are supposed to be my big boy tanks several years ago just really isn't appealing.

Even without the price increases, things are just way too expensive now at a base level. I was looking specifically at the genestealer stuff. Converting the Goliath's into counts-as Tauroxes would be fun and a neat thing to show off but at £35 a pop? No way.

If it's not vital to the army I ain't gettn it in future.
Yeah, this is where I'm at too. It's just solidified my decision to stick to the smaller games like Kill Team and Warcry.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Will play my first game of Blackstone Fortress with a buddy today.
Had it laying around for bout a year but never had the time to actually try it.
Any advice or things worth mentioning?

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, this is where I'm at too. It's just solidified my decision to stick to the smaller games like Kill Team and Warcry.

Same, I only look at playing their boxed games now. Let's me paint and play with a wide variety of models with small commitment.

The only costly thing is terrain, but if you get one of the starter boxes with terrain, the terrain will work across all of their boxed games - necromunda, kill team, warcry, adeptus titanicus.

I use the terrain from the original warcry starter set.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep playing 40k as long as it's played on my club, but I know for sure I won't buy certain things that some time ago (hell, just one year ago) I was totally willing to get, like a shitton of Primaris bikes whenever they would be released.

Now, I will probably use my actual ones as proxy, or print some 30k Outriders on Primaris-size, as they are still the best Astartes bike out there. I don't play tournaments out there, not since 4th edition at least, so neither the proxies or the prints will become a problem.

Meanwhile, I already have around 4k points of my Imperial Guard Air Cavalry army and around 1k of my White Scars for Epic (regular games are played at 3k points). Total cost: 58€ of Imperial Guard 6mm infantry from Vanguard (as there are no good IG infantry models out there to print), 10€ in a gazillion various bases, and around 25€ in resin.

The price increases make me glad that over the last few years, I took the opportunity to grab a bunch of battleforce boxes and sit on them. This is a shame because Dark Imperium gave full size 40k such a shot in the arm from what I can see. I'm almost a bit suspicious that they are saying 9th edition will focus on games of every size.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Each of these 7" figures features 22-point Ultra Articulation, a base for easy posing, detailed weapons, squad insignia, and an awesome Warhammer 40,000-themed window box.

All that for $19.99 MSRP and GW is charging $40.00 for a 28mm character model? GW needs a fucking reality check.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm almost a bit suspicious that they are saying 9th edition will focus on games of every size.

I fear when we finally get new orks or guardsmen they're gonna try and charge £35 ($60) per squad.

I have a lot of friends who are interested in 40k. The idea of collecting and painting your army is appealing to a lot of people, especially when they see my (or my chaos friends) fully painted armies. Even my ex wanted to start it.

But it's the price. It's always the price that's like a brick wall to other people getting in. And they're only making it worse.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Skorpekh Destroyers:
fC0Wr32oJe2Nr1S9.jpg

First up, with a name like Skorpekh Destroyer, it clearly hails from the Destroyer Cult, meaning it has… let's just say 'anger management issues.'* However, unlike the more familiar Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers, which favour annihilating their prey from afar, Skorpekh Destroyers like to reap them up close and personal with murderous sweeps of their enormous blades.

In fact, they like reaping so much that their fearsome weapons are even called hyperphase reap-blades! These weapons are not to be taken lightly, either – check out their horrifically powerful profile.

aJ7M2fX7wQ6hyJ5i.jpg

No wonder we saw one cutting down a Space Marine in the trailer – one hit from this weapon could even chop a mighty warrior of the Adeptus Custodes in half! The Battle Sister being hunted by the first Skorpekh clearly passed the 6+ invulnerable for her Shield of Faith!

What's more, as one would expect from a Destroyer, the Skorpekh is tough, yet despite not drifting into battle like its kin, it's still wickedly fast as it skitters forwards. A unit of them promises to be a very intimidating prospect indeed…

Wait, what's that? Some different weapons?! Yep! However, you'll have to wait a bit longer to find out more about these nasty-looking options.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Hopefully there will also be a cheaper smaller box like they did with 8th edition - I remember they released 2 further variations of the 8th starter kit - a really small, and a medium sided one.

I expect I'll just ebay the primaris character and shield models. Not bothered with the rest.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
First in a series of articles on 9th edition rules changes:

The Core Rules are being updated, clarified, and have grown to be a bit longer than the current edition's eight pages. This is largely due to additional examples and hints & tips to make sure the rules are clear and easy to use.

The way the rules have been presented, even ones that don't change, has been streamlined and updated to make it easy to understand and reference before, during and between games. This sums it all up nicely:
1nCcO46Lq6iZoR8E.jpg

This is still the game you love, just better! Another example of this is the fundamental structure of the battle round. It will look very familiar to all of you experienced gamers out there, but with a new twist:
R0f1fS3vBx2VaM9P.jpg

The Command phase is a quick new addition to the turn sequence. In this phase, Battle-forged armies will acquire new Command points and spend the ones they have on certain Stratagems.

We'll have a closer look at command points specifically, later this week.

Last edited:

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
According do Rumors pre-order will go live in July with a 2 week preorder window

Well with a little insight we are seeing from a source that those dates will be July 11th for Pre-Orders with 2 Weeks of Pre-Orders and the release date being on the 25th of July.

natfka.blogspot.com

Leaked: 9th Edition 40k Pre-Orders/Release Dates

As soon as the big announcement went live we were all wondering just how close the release of the new edition is?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I quite like that idea to give more granularity between costing the weaker units. In terms of the maths, there's just as much difference between +1 to hit and armour saves of weak troops than power-armoured ones, but they essentially all hung around the 5pt mark without much difference in costing. It makes no difference when marines are killing guardsmen, zombies or termagants, but it makes a big difference when they are fighting each other.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The new edition also adds actions to Warhammer 40,000. Traditionally, your models could either stand near objectives or shoot/punch. No longer! Now you can perform rituals, plant homing beacons, raise banners on key objectives and more. This creates dynamic moments where you may need to decide between firing at the enemy or bravely accomplishing a mission.
That's cool.

Finally, as part of developing the new edition, points values were reviewed and have been adjusted UP across every faction. This may sound odd at first, but it yields several benefits. Firstly, games will play faster with, generally speaking, smaller armies on either side. This also makes starting a fresh army for the new edition a more accessible, quicker experience. It also means there's room for more granularity when establishing how powerful one unit or ability is compared to another, and a global points reset ensures everyone starts in the same place on Day 1, with no established meta or 'best army'.
Unexpected but welcome!

Really looking forward to the 40K app, the AoS app has been great.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting article, certainly a lot to take in with the new version. I do appreciate army sizes getting on average a bit smaller, my DG and AdMech were starting to becomes a real mission to carry around for 2000pt games.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I really like the idea of actions. Very XCOM. I hope every army gets unique actions(like cowering or taunting or stuff).

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Great trailer. Wonder what the gameplay will be like. I'd buy a one to one translation of the wargame but this seems like it would work well as a hero shooter too.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I dig the idea of increasing the points cost. Smaller games are way more fun. And unit choices matter more when even a basic units eats up 10% of your points.

I hope the 40k team don't fuck up the Forgeworld Rules

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
In todays article about command points, the power level quoted is for the combined armies of both players. I was thinking previously that the combat patrol power level sizes looked quite large. Makes sense now.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The key info from the article today:

Command points per game size:
Cr8Q4u6Tkf7HTu3g.jpg

Detachments cost Command Points, but if the Warlord is in a Patrol, Battalion or Brigade Detachment then that Detachment is essentially free:
qR8b5C2Wpe0YK0es.jpg

At the start of your Command Phase you get 1 additional Command Point in a Battle-forged army:
cT8iS2Vm2R0kNn0t.jpg

7 core Stratagems available to every army, including this Stratagem:
0mC1OilO5s4JFd1A.jpg

I can usually fit my Necrons into a single Battalion Detachment so I should be maxing out those Command Points quite easily.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Right now I only use Battalions to get CP's, so these are wonderful news to me. More bikes to fit :P

Also, I didn't see Battlescribe had a huge update, reworking all the UI. It looks really, really good now, hopy they fixed some of the more annoying issues on using the old version.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Good statement. The comments on Instagram from people posting resources for places to donate and the like have been occasionally disappointing, this was nice to see. Especially after Omegonedge shared his story about his experiences within the hobby.

I think they should have specifically called out police brutality, but as it relates to the hobby and its environment I think this was needed.

Oct 26, 2017
Good statement. The comments on Instagram from people posting resources for places to donate and the like have been occasionally disappointing, this was nice to see. Especially after Omegonedge shared his story about his experiences within the hobby.

I think they should have specifically called out police brutality, but as it relates to the hobby and its environment I think this was needed.
I will give gw extra credit, as they've been making an active effort to make the hobby more inclusive for everyone.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
40k as a setting originated as a dark British satire of authoritarianism, fascism, religion and bureaucracy, from a group of creatives inspired by 2000AD and various other sources etc in the late 70s to mid 80s. I'm glad they made this reminder that the horror show of what the Imperium represents isn't an instruction manual. It's just a setting to explore stories where the brief flicker of heroics offered by the characters haven't always been by as diverse a cast as they could be. Reaffirming that representation matters, who they want to enjoy their works, and who can just piss off, is good to see in that it's pretty bold in it's rejection of bigotry.

Still, part of me wonders if they deliberately avoided mentioning police violence rather than prejudice and representation when they have recent miniatures of enforcers in riot gear in the setting. Also an upcoming Warhammer 40k Crime imprint from Black Library that they promoted only a few days ago with 'violence is inescapable on these benighted streets' and 'whatever justice exists can only be found through brutality'. The new urban fantasy setting of Varangantua as a sort of 'warhammer noir' hive city has been in the works for months at least (maybe even years), and the foreword below would have been written a while ago too, but I suspect they chose to centre this message on 'our dark fantasy works are fantasy, but representation matters' instead due to the unfortunate timing.
e0nrvf.jpeg

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
They haven't always been on the ball with condemning the Imperium and like Redcrayon says it's pretty bad timing considering the crime series (though admittingly that blurb does imply that theres nuance to it).

But, they are also one of a small few companies that actually have come out and said "This matters, if you don't like it, fuck off!" and havn't been afraid to upset their market. You will not be missed is a real strong statement.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

first dude done, defintely room for improvement but i will be happy to put her on the tabletop