• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
GW are giving the indies the ones they're getting for free, so it would have more profit per unit too. Indies I've spoken to would much rather have fifty of the things to sell than two that are so ludicrous they either have to ebay scalp them and take a load of flack or try and auction them off or something for little reward given the effort.

I have no idea what GW was thinking here.

Well yeah there's that too, though I'm less worried about GW's revenue here- they're well resourced. Perhaps GW just saw the good PR story and didn't think through the full implications for indies in giving out so few (and that they could have done this making a little direct profit for themselves selling the models onto independents)?

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah there's that too, though I'm less worried about GW's revenue here- they're well resourced. Perhaps GW just saw the good PR story and didn't think through the full implications for indies in giving out so few to each store (and that they could have done this making a little direct profit for themselves selling the models onto independents)?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I am an idiot. I was going to order that exclusive Sister but then work got in the way and Streets of Rage 4 sucked me in a black hole and when I realised time was running out it was too late, she was off the site. Oh well, I guess a year down the road she might be sold again.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I am an idiot. I was going to order that exclusive Sister but then work got in the way and Streets of Rage 4 sucked me in a black hole and when I realised time was running out it was too late, she was off the site. Oh well, I guess a year down the road she might be sold again.

Wayland Games at least are still taking orders, so its likely they ordered excess.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Humble Bumble has the Deathwatch RPG up right now. $18 gives you all of the below. Even if you will never play the RPG, there is a plethora of lore & art to delve into!

Deathwatch RPG Humble Bundle

2344ish pgs total (PDFs include covers as pages)

Achulus Assault - 144 pages
Ark of Lost Souls - 145
Game Master's Kit - 32
Know No Fear - 12
Oblivion's Edge - 23
Core Rule Book - 401
Emperor Protects - 145
Emperor's Chosen - 143
Falling Star - 36
Final Sanction - 40
First Founding - 146
Honour The Chapter - 146
Jericho Reach - 239
Mark of the Xenos - 144
Nemesis Incident - 8
Outer Reach - 146
Rising Tempest - 142
Rites of Battle - 254

Dec 24, 2017
So, I'm back on the plastic crack after a long time away. Just dipping my toes with a tiny set of Primaris Intercessors and Plaguewalkers. Will be doing mine up Dark Angels.

What's the deal with contrast shades, why are they so pricey and sold out?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Wayland Games at least are still taking orders, so its likely they ordered excess.
Thanks for that, somehow the thought of checking 3rd parties never occured to me. Sister secured!

TrailerParkRanger Contrast is a new type of GW paint that combines shade and base colour. It's expensive because it's GW and it's sold out because GW's paints supplier switched to hand sanitizer once GW shut down.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Cool new trailer about the Silent King! My metal body is ready!

"Return May 23rd"

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've read on Dakka and elsewhere that 'Crons are meant to be in the starter set for 9th. Sounds like they're going to get a lot of new kits too.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I've read on Dakka and elsewhere that 'Crons are meant to be in the starter set for 9th. Sounds like they're going to get a lot of new kits too.
I'd really like to see new Warriors, Destroyers, Flayed Ones and Monolith (hopefully a rules rethink for the Monolith too, it's a shame such an iconic unit is so ineffective in the game). Oh, and Pariahs!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The art in the teaser is interesting... Obvs. it's them leaning into the Egypt thing, but the decision to do stuff like have the 'Crons portrayed as huge and musclebound instead of skeletal is curious, as is having the ship of the Silent King portrayed as a literal ship. Wonder if they're gonna be significantly tweaking the 'crons again.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The art in the teaser is interesting... Obvs. it's them leaning into the Egypt thing, but the decision to do stuff like have the 'Crons portrayed as huge and musclebound instead of skeletal is curious, as is having the ship of the Silent King portrayed as a literal ship. Wonder if they're gonna be significantly tweaking the 'crons again.
I wonder if that's a reference to his own troops that will be returning with him, so a pile of new model kits, bigger, more threatening infantry etc. This seems like something that could lead into 9th edition.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I interpreted the muscle-bound depictions as representing the result of biotransference, as here to me it seems to show taking the weak and dying and turning them into strong and powerful beings:
2020-05-10cyje5.png

The image of the ship sailing on an ocean probably represents the Silent King travelling outside of the Milky Way galaxy, as it talks about him sailing into the lightless void.

Really loved this teaser BTW.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I interpreted the muscle-bound depictions as representing the result of biotransference, as here to me it seems to show taking the weak and dying and turning them into strong and powerful beings:
2020-05-10cyje5.png

The image of the ship sailing on an ocean probably represents the Silent King travelling outside of the Milky Way galaxy, as it talks about him sailing into the lightless void.
Yeah, good stuff. It's all much more interesting than anything they've done in Psychic Awakening's anaemic lore and 8 books built around the odd new kit across every single faction. It's like, I get that PA is them in holding pattern, but I didn't think a unified, themed event over a year, following the rift opening and called 'psychic awakening' could be so boring.

Oct 26, 2017
Silent king returning and hopefully getting a model means that needs as a whole are waking up.
So going by some ancient ass rumors.

Ghaz, was said to be followed by angron. Then Russ.

So I'm going to guess armegeddon is next year with angron.

And Russ next year as the next loyalist

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say the Necrons have lost a lot of appeal since they became just Sci-Fi Tomb Kings instead of the terrifying, inexplicable, mute army of Terminators they were when I first learned about them in Dawn of War.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I have to say the Necrons have lost a lot of appeal since they became just Sci-Fi Tomb Kings instead of the terrifying, inexplicable, mute army of Terminators they were when I first learned about them in Dawn of War.

I have to agree.

At one point I was thinking about making a small Necron army with using only the various insect looking machines and conversions to make some of the vehicles look more like terrifying alien insect machines. Basically a Necron army without any Tomb King in Space minis in it, but it always fell short because I could not find a way to make a HQ unit that would look the part. Maybe with the new line they are teasing, but then again, they are probably going all in on the Robot Space Egyptians.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I have to disagree! I think when they updated the fluff the second time they became a lot better from a hobby and lore perspective. Less one-note, more open to player creativity, and it's still possible in the current lore to make your Necron Dynasty a completely mute army of Terminators with unknown purpose or alternatively slaves to a C'tan Shard if that's what you prefer. The Necron characters are a lot of fun too. Visually at least, they were space robot Egyptians from the start though - see the original Necron Lord, Scarabs, Ankh symbol on every Necron, the Necrontyr pyramids in Gorkamorka...

Last edited:

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have to disagree! I think when they updated the fluff the second time they became a lot better from a hobby and lore perspective. Less one-note, more open to player creativity, and it's still possible in the current lore to make your Necron Dynasty a completely mute army of Terminators with unknown purpose or alternatively slaves to a C'tan Shard if that's what you prefer. The Necron characters are a lot of fun too. Visually at least, they were space robot Egyptians from the start though - see the original Necron Lord, Scarabs, Ankh symbol on every Necron, the Necrontyr pyramids in Gorkamorka...

Ehh, I think they did lose a lot when the vehicles became space chariots instead of the geometic blocks that the earlier ones were. The monolith design is *cool*, and the Ghost Ark et al just don't fit with that at all. Necron vehicles shouldn't really have visible crew, and Necron warriors shouldn't have little speeder bikes versus having limbs removed like Destroyers.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Ehh, I think they did lose a lot when the vehicles became space chariots instead of the geometic blocks that the earlier ones were. The monolith design is *cool*, and the Ghost Ark et al just don't fit with that at all. Necron vehicles shouldn't really have visible crew, and Necron warriors shouldn't have little speeder bikes versus having limbs removed like Destroyers.

Yeah, this. Even with all the dumb yet awesome I enjoy in 40k, robots driving robots is just too dumb for me.

That being said, I'm looking forward seeing the new stuff.

An army of non humanoid alien killing machines would so scary looking and awesome. Lots of black and OSL!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The Arks were based on Jes Goodwin's 2001 Necron concept art though so they'd been part of his creative vision for Necrons for a long time:
art-12cnktp.jpg

eakvb4hxyaqx20u0dkzd.jpg

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But the pillarmen are already canonically present in 40k...

NGL I don't love the TTS Custodes. It's all a bit gay panic stereotypes.
I really disagree... I like them a lot more like this. They have more personality, which is good. You can still have the old Terminator 'Crons - just say it's a dynasty that woke up like that, their past is irrelevant, they exist only to execute on their inscrutable purpose now. But if you don't want that, you can do Trazyn, or that one dude who's completely deluded and thinks that he's still fleshy, or Imotekh's arrogant badass self. Lots more variety, which is a good thing.
GW are done with them for non copyrightable reasons.
No, like, they're actually coming back. They're doing new Old World sourcebooks. They might rename them, a la Aeldari, Astra Militarum, etc., but Tomb Kings are almost certainly coming back.

wyndhamprice

Oct 27, 2017
No, like, they're actually coming back. They're doing new Old World sourcebooks. They might rename them, a la Aeldari, Astra Militarum, etc., but Tomb Kings are almost certainly coming back.

But will they bring back the minis? I was disappointed to find that the Tomb Kings were totally gone when I got into the hobby at the beginning of the year, being a big Total War player. I like the Necrons a lot conceptually but find the basic models a little boring, but if this revamp gives them more Tomb Kings-like flavor I'm very interested.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But will they bring back the minis? I was disappointed to find that the Tomb Kings were totally gone when I got into the hobby at the beginning of the year, being a big Total War player. I like the Necrons a lot conceptually but find the basic models a little boring, but if this revamp gives them more Tomb Kings-like flavor I'm very interested.
Oh, no, all that was about Warhammer Fantasy. Don't have the first clue on what's happening with the Necrons in terms of new models - I'd expect a bunch, especially if the rumor that they're part of a 9th edition starter set is true, but idk what form or flavor they'll take.

You could always take the Tomb Kings models and paint 'em up like Crons. Or not paint them up, as the case may be. Necrons are convenient like that.

Oct 27, 2017
NGL I don't love the TTS Custodes. It's all a bit gay panic stereotypes.

I really disagree... I like them a lot more like this. They have more personality, which is good. You can still have the old Terminator 'Crons - just say it's a dynasty that woke up like that, their past is irrelevant, they exist only to execute on their inscrutable purpose now. But if you don't want that, you can do Trazyn, or that one dude who's completely deluded and thinks that he's still fleshy, or Imotekh's arrogant badass self. Lots more variety, which is a good thing.

Yeah I don't know about that. It's always just the head honcho that has some actual personality and the ones I learned about so far aren't that interesting. Aliens are always far more menacing if they are completely foreign and you can't make out their motives, which the Necrons with their elusive C'tan overlords fitted into.
The Tyranids work pretty well because of this as well.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know about that. It's always just the head honcho that has some actual personality and the ones I learned about so far aren't that interesting. Aliens are always far more menacing if they are completely foreign and you can't make out their motives, which the Necrons with their elusive C'tan overlords fitted into.
The Tyranids work pretty well because of this as well.
Thing is, "inscrutable alien horrors" only gets you so far, especially when, like you said, the Tyranids already fit pretty well into that slot. Though tbh they're pretty straightforward, they just wanna eat the galaxy.

Again, you can do the unknowable mysterious Necrons dynasty pretty easily under the new lore. But if you wanted to lean into a Trazyn, Troll Bastard thing, you could do that too.

And the C'tan have been pokemon for a long while, longer than the Crons have had personality, iirc.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they see them as generic minis that anyone can make, too broad appeal.
Ugh, that's too bad.

Hard to see how they square the circle of their existing lore with the vampires and nagash while also keeping the egyptian theming that their existing fans want while also ditching their whole aesthetic.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I bought a box of the little mini questoris knights for Adeptus Titanicus.

They look so cool and have been fun, and quite easy to paint. Nearly finished the first Knight.

Makes me want to get into Adeptus Titanicus. The starter kit that came out this year looks really appealing and at a very good price - even more so with third party retailer discounts.

After buying the starter kit, all you really need to buy is one Warlord, and your done. Any other purchases would be if you want to dive deep into the competitive side.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Man, new Necron sprues are making me kinda excited.
Hoping for some epic Pariahs atleast, but keep the Arks please. I love my little tractors of mayhem & doom.