• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Either white or grey primer would be good for those. I'm a fan of the grey (Vallejo's spray is wonderful) and I use it for almost everything, but in this case white wouldn't be a bad choice. Black is a big nope here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Looking for a meme I've seen posted on forums. It's a guardsmen or lesser space marine kicking down a door and going "This thread right here, Inquisitor!" Can't seem to find it.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
So I primed my figures today. Used black spraypaint and did my best not to go on thick. Worked okay. Then I decided to do a spritz of white on the top for natural lighting--saw a YT vid of that--but I didn't shake the can enough and it came out like dust. So I have very dusty chaos space marines.

Not sure to go forward with them and see how this effects the paints or to try and fix this. But I"m not sure how to fix it. Any ideas?

So I primed my figures today. Used black spraypaint and did my best not to go on thick. Worked okay. Then I decided to do a spritz of white on the top for natural lighting--saw a YT vid of that--but I didn't shake the can enough and it came out like dust. So I have very dusty chaos space marines.

Not sure to go forward with them and see how this effects the paints or to try and fix this. But I"m not sure how to fix it. Any ideas?
In theory the colour layer should cover in up if you get it thick enough but you are the one looking at them if is too bumpy strip them.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Both layers?

Varnish or medium in the final coat could prevent that BUT also not work and ruin more work per mini.
Naw. Just the top white layer comes off. Honestly if I put paint over it it might not be a huge deal. I don't plan on playing with them, just displaying.

But if there's a good way to remove this I'm all ears. hopefully it's a chemical I have access to at work. And one that won't harm the gorilla glue. I don't have ot have to rebuild the things.

Naw. Just the top white layer comes off. Honestly if I put paint over it it might not be a huge deal. I don't plan on playing with them, just displaying.

But if there's a good way to remove this I'm all ears. hopefully it's a chemical I have access to at work. And one that won't harm the gorilla glue. I don't have ot have to rebuild the things.
Go to town with a firm toothbrush and soap then.

Mar 22, 2019
Wasnt sure where to post this so please tell me or move accordingly.
I've finally accepted that i'm not going to be a worldclass Warhammer painter - so decided to sell my stuff.

Happily its all relatively new and barely used: have a few complete box sets including full paint set + box.
Whats the best place to sell? eBAY? I dont expect to recoup anywhere near what i've paid out for them but 99.9% (excluding one Magragges Honor) paintpots are unopened.

Thoughts welcome thanks!

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Go to town with a firm toothbrush and soap then.
Seems to have helped some. Or softened up so I could use a fingernail easier. Gonna ask at work to see if anyone knows of some chemicals I might be able to use. Otherwise if it's going to wisthand a toothbrush, it'll probably be fine to paint over. I'm just worried about some of the added texture in a few smoother spots.
Wasnt sure where to post this so please tell me or move accordingly.
I've finally accepted that i'm not going to be a worldclass Warhammer painter - so decided to sell my stuff.

Happily its all relatively new and barely used: have a few complete box sets including full paint set + box.
Whats the best place to sell? eBAY? I dont expect to recoup anywhere near what i've paid out for them but 99.9% (excluding one Magragges Honor) paintpots are unopened.

Thoughts welcome thanks!
Not an authority, but if it makes you feel any better, I've been checking eBay for my Warhammer stuff. It's so damn expensive on the official channels :(

Mar 22, 2019
Seems to have helped some. Or softened up so I could use a fingernail easier. Gonna ask at work to see if anyone knows of some chemicals I might be able to use. Otherwise if it's going to wisthand a toothbrush, it'll probably be fine to paint over. I'm just worried about some of the added texture in a few smoother spots.

Not an authority, but if it makes you feel any better, I've been checking eBay for my Warhammer stuff. It's so damn expensive on the official channels :(

Thanks! I posted on ebay earlier today - australian site.
Happy hunting!

Maybe switch to a softer brush also.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Although we are on lockdown, the guys on my club are pushing hard for Epic, and I've decided to go for it. Miniatures for this are a bit problematic, as you either go for Ebay and so to buy whatever was published in the various previous editions, or you go for third party miniatures (Vanguard, Onslaught and others)... or you go the 3d print way. I've decided to go for the latter on vehicles and third party on infantry. And maybe a couple Adeptus Titanicus Reavers in the future.

The troops will need to wait until all this mess pass and the stores reopen, but I've started to print some things for my future Vanaheim* Air Cavalry, with 5 Valkyries (of a gazillion needed), a Thunderbolt and an Avenger-that-will-be-used-as-Lightning. I'm not happy with the Thunderbolt wings, too thin to be properly cleaned. I'm going to need to modify the model or use another.

YuHuKkI.jpg

*Which will probably use Tallarn infantry, but oh well :P

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know of a video that explains whats currently happening in lore? With the recent Black Crusade, Dark Imperium and Psychic Awakening? Or atleast what sourcebooks should I be buying to find out?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Anyone know of a video that explains whats currently happening in lore? With the recent Black Crusade, Dark Imperium and Psychic Awakening? Or atleast what sourcebooks should I be buying to find out?
For the most up-to-date lore, the 40k rulebook covers it, and the most recent events in the novels are Dark Imperium and Plague War by Guy Haley, set after the Indomitus crusade and with Guilliman facing off against Mortarion.

The Psychic Awakening books show snapshots of other events that happened during the crusade and with hints for the future, but the books themselves are expensive and don't contain that much lore, what there is is fairly poorly written and based around the units in it.
Really it depends which units you are most interested in. For example, the Dark Angels featured in Ritual of the Damned, but that was more of a showcase of the new primaris officer they wanted to introduce, and the more important (to them) plotlines of the Unforgiven rallying together following recent events, the escape of Luther and the Fallen gathering at legion strength are all in the 8th Ed. Codex.

For the Blood Angels, their defence of Baal with their successors is covered in the novel Devastation of Baal (currently £1.99 on kindle), and then the new novels following Mephiston and Dante after that.

Essentially if you want a broad overview, check the rule book, if you want a faction overview, check the codex but look at some of the novels too, particularly those set in the modern era. PA is less essential as lore from those books can be summarised easily and they are mostly very expensive codex updates.

Oct 25, 2017
Luetin09 has some pretty good videos on YouTube, not sure of the accuracy, but he's probably got something covering those topics.

Oct 30, 2017
Essentially if you want a broad overview, check the rule book, if you want a faction overview, check the codex but look at some of the novels too, particularly those set in the modern era. PA is less essential as lore from those books can be summarised easily and they are mostly very expensive codex updates.
Luetin09 has some pretty good videos on YouTube, not sure of the accuracy, but he's probably got something covering those topics.

Thanks! I'll check it out

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the lore in the Psychic Awakening books is super weak, really just dressing to the new units being in there. It's vague stuff all over.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've like a couple of the short stories, but it's definitely sub-Codex tier lore in the books proper. Doesn't help that each one is a) trying to cover multiple factions and b) they can't advance the plot at all since it all takes place prior to the end of the Indomitus Crusade.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaand Valkyries (+Avenger-that-will-count-as-a-Lightning) painted, bar fixing a couple small mistakes and deciding how I want to mark each company.

YHjYzcp.jpg

If find quite amusing I haven't touch during the lockdown any of the gazillion 40k or Blood Bowl miniatures I have pending to paint, and suddenly I started to paint these things for a game I haven't played in 20 years and won't be able to play probably for a couple more months at the very least.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I've got an 80% off Steam coupon for Space Hulk Deathwing. I've already got the game so if anyone wants it, just tell me.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
That's the theory. That perhaps his videos overlapped too much with what GW was doing. Some stuff I can see, like his skin tutorials, but he also did a lot of NMM and glazing, the latter of which isn't very commonly talked about in the GW videos.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
He also didn't use stuff like GW brushes and other supplies like wet palettes and decal solutions. Which I imagine didn't make GW very happy.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to have to listen mostly because I'm really not a fan of the last few releases. Maybe it'll help sway my opinion.

The flyer? I'm not a fan of that one. The wings work far better for me on the new jump troops.

I don't really care for the hovercraft either. The boxy design is fine, but I really would have expected it to be another walker like the Onager.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Started painting my first mini

20200413_205629_HDR1.jpg

Purple first coat and then a drybrush of silver. Looks good, but I didn't quite get all the silver I wanted, I guess? Honestly not sure if I should have done it in this order. Or what colors to really use. Kind of just going with it. I plan on doing the weapons gold tonight and drybrushing those black, but after that it's the big details and I'm not sure how CRAZY to get on this thing. These models have a lot of details.

On the boxart, all the rimming on all the armor is one color, and then there are lots of colors on the breastplate and stuff too. Not sure I want to go that in depth but I do want it to look ... well, like it has more than two colors on it :P Any thoughts on what to do next?

20200413_205629_HDR1.jpg

Purple first coat and then a drybrush of silver. Looks good, but I didn't quite get all the silver I wanted, I guess? Honestly not sure if I should have done it in this order. Or what colors to really use. Kind of just going with it. I plan on doing the weapons gold tonight and drybrushing those black, but after that it's the big details and I'm not sure how CRAZY to get on this thing. These models have a lot of details.

On the boxart, all the rimming on all the armor is one color, and then there are lots of colors on the breastplate and stuff too. Not sure I want to go that in depth but I do want it to look ... well, like it has more than two colors on it :P Any thoughts on what to do next?
Maybe what you wanted was a glaze not drybrush?
Also tourny legal minis are 3 colours minimum for a reason so yeah throw another one the to enhance them.

Oct 25, 2017

20200413_205629_HDR1.jpg

If you're going for that metallic look, one basic option would be to first use your silver paint and build up a consistent layer in thin coats, on top of your undercoat. Then glaze (i.e. really thin down your purple on a palette with lots of water until it is mostly water), and then apply it to the armour panels several times, being careful again to do this in small amounts and not letting large amounts of the glaze pool on any part of the mini, and letting each glaze properly dry. Of course don't apply the glaze to the silver on the rims, leaving that colour coming through. Then I would apply a wash of nuln oil to those parts to add depth and shadow. You could even experiment with using a nuln oil wash over all the armour prior to any purple glazing (or after?).

Good start, enjoy experimenting with different painting methods!

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
If you're going for that metallic look, one basic option would be to first use your silver paint and build up a consistent layer in thin coats, on top of your undercoat. Then glaze (i.e. really thin down your purple on a palette with lots of water until it is mostly water), and then apply it to the armour panels several times, being careful again to do this in small amounts and not letting large amounts of the glaze pool on any part of the mini, and letting each glaze properly dry. Of course don't apply the glaze to the silver on the rims, leaving that colour coming through. Then I would apply a wash of nuln oil to those parts to add depth and shadow. You could even experiment with using a nuln oil wash over all the armour prior to any purple glazing (or after?).

Good start, enjoy experimenting with different painting methods!
I can try some of that, sure. I guess I'm wondering what colors would also work with purple, silver, and gold. I got a super nice teal I want to use.

Also I'm using enamel paints because that's all the hobby store had before the world shut down, so I'll have to look up how to do some of those things with enamels.

Been pretty fun so far though! I don't plan on playing with 'em, but I enjoyed building them and painting has been fun too. Looking at a small tyranid and ork set for my next group if I still got the itch to make these when I'm done.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
HumbleBundle has another 40k book bundle on

I can't comment on the quality of most of the books in the bundle because I haven't read them all but I enjoyed Watchers of the Throne and Vaults of Terra. A lot of the books seem to be the first of a series so it could be good to get the bundle then if you enjoy any of them you can get the rest of the series.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I can't comment on the quality of most of the books in the bundle because I haven't read them all but I enjoyed Watchers of the Throne and Vaults of Terra. A lot of the books seem to be the first of a series so it could be good to get the bundle then if you enjoy any of them you can get the rest of the series.
That's an insanely good deal for anyone looking to get into 40k lore/novels

Serule

Oct 25, 2017

Eisenhorn: Xenos is great (and is a very good intro to the setting).
Talon of Horus is great (I have heard some describe it as the best 40K book)
Fabius Bile: Primogeniture is good
Devastation of Baal is alright

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Warhammer fans, I was always intrigued by the art of warhammer and was wondering which of those books on Humble Bundle would be good starting points to learn about the lore and stories ?

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Warhammer fans, I was always intrigued by the art of warhammer and was wondering which of those books on Humble Bundle would be good starting points to learn about the lore and stories ?

I think it depends on what faction you're interested in

Vaults of Terra follows an inquisitor on Terra(Earth) so it's a good book to see what Terra is like and as Terra is the heart of the Imperium and home of the Emperor it's a pretty good read.

Gaunt's Ghosts follows an imperial guard group in a large war against chaos cultist so it's a good place to start if you're interested in normal human armies.

Farsight follows the Tau. An alien species who use advanced tech and battlesuits but are fairly new to the galactic scene and are pretty ignorant about Chaos and the warp.

There are a few books that follow Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines but I've not read most of the ones in the bundle so can't say which are good starter books.

Kingsblade follows a Knight house. They are Humans who ride around in big mechs.

Rise of the Ynnari follow a new faction of eldar/dark eldar that have appeared.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd recommend the Ciaphas Cain book. It's a nice, sorta relaxed entry to the 'verse.