• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
?????

Literally one of the most important things. How do you forget this feature? The fact that Advance Wars was an excellent pick up and play game, whether you had 5 mins or 5 hours, is what made it a brilliant portable game.

Oh yeah. Used to play with my best mate at our first job at this go kart place. Spend the evening passing the GBA back and forth and save for later.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Because modern consoles allow sleep. Mid-game save was a way to cheat and its omission is actually excellent news in my eyes.

Edit: i should mention, cheating in the quite specific scenario where you play MP on one console. Been there done that: good old times with AW on GBA in high school in class :p

Is that people are upset about? It's better to play through the entire mission without saving.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Gamecentral review is up, sounds good overall (8/10):

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/30/wargroove-review-advance-wars-indie-edition-8414540/

Sum-up:

In Short: The best Advance Wars game never made and while there are a few flaws there's also plenty of new ideas and a mountain of extra content.

Pros: Extremely accessible and deep strategy action. Lengthy story content and lots of additional modes and options. Local multiplayer and online cross-play adds enormous longevity.

Cons: The size of the levels becomes too big too soon, affecting the pacing of stages and the frustration at losing. Retro visuals seem unnecessary and can become difficult to parse at times.

looking at the review the problem they had with the graphics are:

It may be an unavoidable restriction of its low budget but we really don't like the retro 2D artwork. As with everything else it's clearly trying to mimic Advance Wars but most of the sprites are fairly ugly and, more importantly, can be difficult to recognise in a pinch. This is particularly true of the info screen which has a little bar showing which units your current one is weak or strong against and they're almost impossible to make out in both handheld and TV mode.

I do agree that (at least the large character sprites) are ugly and nowhere near IS's old GBA/DS ones.

Developer post, mid-battle saves

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
Just want to clarify some of the confusion in this thread, you can absolutely exit the game and resume back in again, your current progress will be resumed. If you lose a mission however, you will have to restart it from the beginning.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just want to clarify some of the confusion in this thread, you can absolutely exit the game and resume back in again, your current progress will be resumed. If you lose a mission however, you will have to restart it from the beginning.
Disappointing how quickly this misinformation spiraled the whole topic. Put this quote above the reviews and let's move on.

Come on Friday!!

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks heaps for clarifying! Makes one question some of these reviews really.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't think about turn notifications on switch. That kind of sucks. I wonder if an email notification system could be setup. I'd much rather prefer that anyways since I'll most likely split my time between pc and switch.

Last edited:

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, at least it's got the usual sleep functionality.
Why would you need to save like that given that there is a suspend/sleep function. I would assume it's intentional to prevent the player from cheesing with saves/savescumming.
Because modern consoles allow sleep. Mid-game save was a way to cheat and its omission is actually excellent news in my eyes.

Edit: i should mention, cheating in the quite specific scenario where you play MP on one console. Been there done that: good old times with AW on GBA in high school in class :p

Yeah but let's say a big map takes, idk, 40 minutes. One massive appeal of Advance Wars to me was that the game took merely a few seconds to load, and another second to get back into a map. From the DS being off to being in a map in AW took less than 10 seconds in total. You could turn it on, play for 15 minutes, then turn it off and do your thing. Sleep mode is awesome, but if I want to switch to another game, I have to close the game I'm playing. It's not solving the issue of short-form satisfaction.

But yeah I want to clarify that I do absolutely love sleep mode and if you're not planning on switching games then it's a perfect option of course

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've added this to Threadmarks for reference, thanks Supernorn.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but let's say a big map takes, idk, 40 minutes. One massive appeal of Advance Wars to me was that the game took merely a few seconds to load, and another second to get back into a map. From the DS being off to being in a map in AW took less than 10 seconds in total. You could turn it on, play for 15 minutes, then turn it off and do your thing. Sleep mode is awesome, but if I want to switch to another game, I have to close the game I'm playing. It's not solving the issue of short-form satisfaction.

But yeah I want to clarify that I do absolutely love sleep mode and if you're not planning on switching games then it's a perfect option of course

I wonder if, as someone mentioned above, it's a means of preventing save-scumming.

edit: NEVERMIND!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
looking at the review the problem they had with the graphics are:

It may be an unavoidable restriction of its low budget but we really don't like the retro 2D artwork. As with everything else it's clearly trying to mimic Advance Wars but most of the sprites are fairly ugly and, more importantly, can be difficult to recognise in a pinch. This is particularly true of the info screen which has a little bar showing which units your current one is weak or strong against and they're almost impossible to make out in both handheld and TV mode.

I do agree that (at least the large character sprites) are ugly and nowhere near IS's old GBA/DS ones.
I agree with you too. The terrain looks fine, but the units can be hard to distinguish at a glance. I can definitely relate to those string of icons in the strong against, weak against screen being impossible to parse. It will definitely get better with familiarity to the units, but it definitely doesn't pop out like an AW screen would -- partly because tanks, anti-airs, infantry, etc. have very different silhouettes compared to dudes with swords, dude with spears, dude with bow, dude with scrolls, etc.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can confirm this, although the game doesn't tell you - just says "Are you sure that you want to exit?"

Might benefit from telling the player that their game will be suspended. (Also, an Undo button would be nice JUST SAYING)

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Sounds fair enough to me. I have a small question about local multiplayer in particular for the Switch.

You can share a controller with another person with the same system but can you use 2 controllers.

Also is there 4 player maps?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I agree with you too. The terrain looks fine, but the units can be hard to distinguish at a glance. I can definitely relate to those string of icons in the strong against, weak against screen being impossible to parse. It will definitely get better with familiarity to the units, but it definitely doesn't pop out like an AW screen would -- partly because tanks, anti-airs, infantry, etc. have very different silhouettes compared to dudes with swords, dude with spears, dude with bow, dude with scrolls, etc.
Good point on vehicle silhouettes vs differing equipment, I agree.

Can't wait to start this, play the campaign then start designing one.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This looks so good. I'll be grabbing it the second a physical version is available.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This is a small nit about reviews entirely unrelated to Wargroove itself, but I wish people would stop calling the first GBA Advance Wars the 'first' game in the series.

Note to reviewers: the Wars series has existed since the Famicom! :P

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Good to know! Gotta wait until Friday sadly, but can't wait to get my hands on it when I do. Looks great.

This is a small nit about reviews entirely unrelated to Wargroove itself, but I wish people would stop calling the first GBA Advance Wars the 'first' game in the series.

Note to reviewers: the Wars series has existed since the Famicom! :P

Actually didn't know this. Thanks for sharing.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, glad to see it reviewing well. Not sure if I'll pick it up on Friday, but this will be my next Switch game for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the gamexplain review and the difficulty options look really good. I always find that certain missions or types of missions just slay me. I don't know if I ever finished Advance Wars on the DS because I was just so bad at the game. So many unit types and I often struggle to remember the interactions between them all. Going to watch a stream or two on Thursday and make my mind up then.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I waited for the reviews before preordering, and now that I see they're overall good with some criticisms here and there, I've made my purchase now. I have never played an Advance Wars game before, so Wargroove will be completely new to me.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Watched the gamexplain review and the difficulty options look really good. I always find that certain missions or types of missions just slay me. I don't know if I ever finished Advance Wars on the DS because I was just so bad at the game. So many unit types and I often struggle to remember the interactions between them all. Going to watch a stream or two on Thursday and make my mind up then.
I found the final mission on all four Advance Wars games to be a real struggle. I can't remember which one I finished but it was only one out of the four. Love the games and the intricate unit balance though.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mildly surprised at the scores - was expecting 9's across the board. I'll still get it though. Need my Advance Wars fix.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
While mid-mission saving does open to the opportunity for save-scumming I still think it should be included anyway, especially for those long battles. No one's going to force you to use it (maybe have an in-game achievement or ranking for those that intentionally avoid it).

Oct 25, 2017
While mid-mission saving does open to the opportunity for save-scumming I still think it should be included anyway, especially for those long battles. No one's going to force you to use it (maybe have an in-game achievement or ranking for those that intentionally avoid it).
Midmission saving is in, it's just that losing the mission makes you start that over. Publisher rep came in to correct misinfo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if a checkpoint system would be a better middle ground between full-on save scumming and losing = starting over. Maybe just as an option with a penalty to your score if used, and only for the longer missions.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Midmission saving is in, it's just that losing the mission makes you start that over. Publisher rep came in to correct misinfo

People are just using the same terminology for two different things.

My understanding is that suspend saves are in, but deliberate mid-mission saving (i.e. "savescumming" as a checkpoint/bookmark) isn't in, which is what a lot of reviewers seem to take objection to, since campaign missions can take upwards of an hour.

Restarting such lengthy missions from scratch probably doesn't feel great, especially if reports of trial-and-error ambush mechanics are true. Same-turn ambush spawns were usually hated in the Fire Emblem games that featured them, too.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Was super interested in picking this up until I heard about the same-turn ambushes.

This is a thing why?

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
People are just using the same terminology for two different things.

My understanding is that suspend saves are in, but deliberate mid-mission saving (i.e. "savescumming" as a checkpoint/bookmark) isn't in, which is what a lot of reviewers seem to take objection to, since campaign missions can take upwards of an hour.

Restarting such lengthy missions from scratch probably doesn't feel great, especially if reports of trial-and-error ambush mechanics are true. Same-turn ambush spawns were usually hated in the Fire Emblem games that featured them, too.
This is a good clarification. I'm asking for deliberate mid-mission saves (that I can revert back to) and/or checkpoints.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Was super interested in picking this up until I heard about the same-turn ambushes.

This is a thing why?
As much as Wargroove borrows from Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, it seems that the game might have also borrowed some of the more annoying battle design elements that have appeared in some of the games.