• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Official Twitter teasing something, I would guess DLC or an update of some kind. Looking forward to it. I occasionally go back to this game, just like I would with Advance Wars.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Full modding on PC? Will double dip then!

I'm always up for a match BTW for those still playing

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
holy shit copy and paste on scripts alone is WOW.

The sole reason I have not put more time into the editors. I dropped off Chroma Squad because the editor was buggy, but it at least had copy/paste so I made a couple episodes, but making anything scripted in Wargroove was so daunting to have to remember exact verbage. Can't wait for that change alone! Finally, I will start on a campaign - or at the very least a series of maps with a narrative through-line.

Having searchable lobbies would be dope for people to host their maps. I don't play randoms because the maps suck. I want to use ones I made or other community-approved maps.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
I'm most excited for the editor changes - hoping the lava biome is indeed a new addition. I also want some extra backgrounds since there were some in the story mode not available in creator mode. A pure ocean backdorp comes to mind.

I actually created a full storyline a while back but this will hopefully get me to actually add maps to each chapter as well as tinker with what I've already made. Looking forward to getting back into this game!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I got back into the campaign and finally beat the second to last mission.

FUCK that last mission. Wtf?! I hadn't used the difficulty sliders the entire game but this mission may break that.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I got back into the campaign and finally beat the second to last mission.

FUCK that last mission. Wtf?! I hadn't used the difficulty sliders the entire game but this mission may break that.
I had to scum it. Can't imagine doing it without doing the CO glitch. Pretty sure it was patched out.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I had to scum it. Can't imagine doing it without doing the CO glitch. Pretty sure it was patched out.
CO glitch? I'm not aware of what that is.

Also I have no idea why they decided to give you Nuru there. She's completely useless after one groove, and after her nerf, you can't get any of the big ticket units.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
CO glitch? I'm not aware of what that is.

Also I have no idea why they decided to give you Nuru there. She's completely useless after one groove, and after her nerf, you can't get any of the big ticket units.
If the boss had her CO charge full you could save and reload from menu in and she was duplicated as one of your characters to then control or something? I forget the specifics. But you could then just gang up and kill her right there and win.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down to get an async game going.

I've set up a 1v1 on a stock map.

Code is
P2BTBF

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

New content coming! The most interesting bit...

• BIG brand new content –full details to be revealed at a later date…

Very excited for this.

On another note, one way I can tell that WarGroove is living up to the legacy of Advance Wars is that I am still going on post launch era "kicks" with it like I would do with the AW games. The fact that I can do that and it still remains fun is a sign that they have made it, and it is worthy of the legacy AW created.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Usually it takes a while to find a game in QuickPlay because everyone just uses discord, but I found one, won, queued for another... And got matched with the same person. I saw they were playing on PC so I looked them up on Steam and added them. They wanted to do a custom lobby so we could have Fog of War and choice of map, so we bailed on the QuickPlay game and they gave me a code. I won that one too, it was pretty great. I managed to bait the commander into a treb at max range, got a couple of more hits in, and went in for the kill with Valder.

I've been using Valder... He's seriously underrated. That Groove charge speed is insane to the point where you can have it up almost other turn. You get lots of soldiers quickly... AND in a critical hit position with haste! The person I played against used Sigrid. She's strong, but I think her biggest weakness is that if she takes the bait and uses her Groove on a full health unit you didn't mind losing, you have a setup (particularly in fog) that can decimate her and capitalize on her Groove's long charge time. If she ever gets baited into her Groove, she's in serious trouble. I think Sigrid might be overrated for that reason.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
It's been out since July 23...

Wargroove

When war breaks out in the Kingdom of Cherrystone, the young Queen Mercia must flee her home. Pursued by her foes, the only way to save her country is to travel to new lands in search of allies. But who will she meet along the way, and what sinister challenges will face her Take command of your...

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
It's been out since July 23...

Wargroove

When war breaks out in the Kingdom of Cherrystone, the young Queen Mercia must flee her home. Pursued by her foes, the only way to save her country is to travel to new lands in search of allies. But who will she meet along the way, and what sinister challenges will face her Take command of your...
Oh shit lol

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
played this through GP and this is incredibly slow and tedious. Why can't you turn off tutorials?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Figured it won't quite be "new news, new thread" worthy until it's revealed, but...

New Commander being teased!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Is cross play coming for ps4 now, or is that headline not as universal as it sounded?

But yes! Excited to get back to Wargroove!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
That's a great idea for a super!

Already getting ideas for a golfing campaign with this CO

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably not intended, but rifleman GIF is pretty silly with mountain-piercing bullets (right after the talk about forest protection)! Will be interesting to see how they change the meta.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Detailed info from the devs that was posted on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wargroove/...s_coming_to_wargroove_thief_rifleman/f2xb2k0/

Ok some details for you:
- Rifles can not move and shoot
- Only effective vs infantry
- Super weak to dogs
- Can't target air
- limited ammo
- Slow movement speed

Rifleman:
Cost: 750
Move: 4
Can't move and shoot
Can't target forests
Can't target air
Can't target water
Has 3 shots of ammo
Has a "reload" command that ends their turn
Crits on final piece of ammo
1.5x Crit
tagDamage:
archer: 0.85
soldier: 1.2
villager: 1.2
dog: 0.2
spearman: 1.0
mage: 1.0
rifleman: 0.85
thief: 1.0
knight: 0.10
ballista: 0.05
trebuchet: 0.05
giant: 0.05
wagon: 0.10
structure: 0.05
commander: 0.05
Rifle range screenshot

Thieves:
Cost: 400
Move range: 6
Move range with gold: 3
Can't attack
Can instantly steal from a village and neutralise it.
Can't steal whilst carrying gold
Must return to hideout to deposit gold
If killed whilst carrying gold, the person that killed the thief gets the gold
Thieves can use a "heist" command on HQs to steal extra gold
Thieves have a "bypass" command that allows them to travel through gates for free without damaging the gate

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

Another unit or commander being teased. They have been revealing these things one day after teasing them. My bet is on a commender that's two people.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
omg a witch and ragna baby! So down for some witchy goodness!

Also, spearmen nerf is probably needed (for now) as a lot of people cashed out after that initial check. I want to return to Wargroove, but I just started grad school and there are so many amazing games that came out this year and are still on the horizon. Wargroove definitely in my top 3 for GOTY though.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
omg a witch and ragna baby! So down for some witchy goodness!

Also, spearmen nerf is probably needed (for now) as a lot of people cashed out after that initial check. I want to return to Wargroove, but I just started grad school and there are so many amazing games that came out this year and are still on the horizon. Wargroove definitely in my top 3 for GOTY though.
Agreed, WarGroove is up there for me in terms of GotY, but I would probably say in top 5 for me.

Treb cost increase is something also needed, and I think the riflemen will be good for dealing with Spearmen.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
The new CO was revealed yesterday, and its a set of twins! The cool thing about these guys is you can choose between two separate grooves, although they both share one groove meter.

https://wargroove.com/twin-peek/

twinshowcase.gif

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
The new CO was revealed yesterday, and its a set of twins! The cool thing about these guys is you can choose between two separate grooves, although they both share one groove meter.

https://wargroove.com/twin-peek/

twinshowcase.gif
Yes, I made a thread about it yesterday but unfortunately I think it got buried as there were no replies. Looking forward to them though! The fact that the heal can affect enemies and the fire can affect allies sounds interesting.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Omg a guy with a witch's hat! Fuck yeah new main even without knowing the groove!

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Recently got back to playing this on the X1X after a couple months and I've noticed a stutter after a unit moves where all passive animations and cursor movement freeze for a split second.

I don't remember this issue when I originally played. Is this a bug as the result of a recent patch or am I misremembering or is it my X1X?

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if the new units will be in the og campaign? I never finishedit but ill prolly start playin this bad boy again after the dlc

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know if the new units will be in the og campaign? I never finishedit but ill prolly start playin this bad boy again after the dlc
I think they won't because part of this update will be a new additional campaign (albeit shorter obv) that will introduce and utilize the new units and commanders

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
I think they won't because part of this update will be a new additional campaign (albeit shorter obv) that will introduce and utilize the new units and commanders

that was my suspicion as well. Really cool theyre coming out with it all for free. hoping they do another xpac/sequel after this too. need more AW type games.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to this and it seems really good, but is there no option to quit out of the game on PC? Seems to be yet another PC game claiming to have full controller support, but not actually having it in practice :(

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Ugh I updated the app, but now I'm at work and it have to download a separate dlc but don't have internet. Was gonna play on lunch break, but now I can't.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
It's a rather huge amount of free content, great time to drop back into the game if you fell off it last year. Let me know what you think!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked out Double Trouble yesterday (wanted to finish the Fire Emblem DLC and Tokyo Mirage Sessions first), and the first couple of maps I tried I wasn't really pleased with, but other maps have been much better. Some general thoughts:

- Definitely play this co-op if you can. It just seems cumbersome to play by yourself, especially on some of the maps for reasons outlined below.
- Most of the maps generally have two "fronts" to them. Playing by myself, I found the maps with the units from both commanders mixed together was more annoying to manage. I would keep trying to move units from the other commander when it wasn't their turn.
- However, the maps that have the two commanders' armies either completely split or mostly split are excellent in single player. The first map against Heavensong (vs Ryoji) was great as it felt like both Wulfar and Errol & Orrla both had different roles to accomplish that helped moved the mission along. They did something for each other that didn't have the annoyance of just units mixed together. I liked the idea of using Errol & Orrla's hideout to get more money to them from Wulfar's side.
- The new units are great. Thieves are an interesting mechanic that can neutralize buildings fast, as well as get you triple value of the property that it would gain in one turn. Thieves are kind of expensive, and understandably so since they can instantly neutralize properties. I haven't tried it yet, but I am guessing you can't neutralize strongholds, you only steal gold from them? It's a neat idea to be able to directly attack economy like that. Riflemen are interesting, and can potentially be very strong if you position them right, but you really have to spend their turns wisely with their ammo mechanic, and limited movement.
- I haven't tried out Vesper yet, but Wulfar's groove has a lot of neat uses. I've applied it to knocking a trouble unit into the water, knocking one of my units into the enemy units to cause some damage, or just knocking enemy units into other enemy units. I can see this being a lot of fun in multiplayer.
- Errol & Orrla's groove is going to definitely be difficult to be use in multiplayer, and I imagine for a lot of people will be prone to error with it. The first time I tried using it in the campaign I ended up burning Wulfar and killed him :( I understand it better now though, and can see an Errol & Orla on a team with a Emeric being brutal.
- New balance changes are quite welcome! Spearmen got the much-needed nerf, doggos are viable outside of fog of war maps now!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Time to get another ERA game going again? Still not wowed by the multiplayer maps not made by other people.