• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm still misunderstanding. Holding B gives you the unit dossier pop-up, holding A shows you this:

51284394_10114704865967541_1130552232597520384_o.jpg

The slashes are squares he can move to and attack, the empty boxes are squares he can reach via ranged attack.

I guess it'd be nice if it showed the attack range while trying out movement options? I'm not sure, it might get messy, and I'd rather plan out what I'm going to do before I move. You can do this on friendly and enemy units.

I think it could be done. Either give us a button that highlights all "hostile" tiles while pressed or make it so that when you are moving a unit, red tiles would be places that are inside a enemy's attack range.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The story was cute in the beginning but now it's just one predictable and stupid misunderstanding that leads to battle after the other :/

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Regarding weaknesses and strengths, I really feel the game should highlight which enemies on the map are weak/strong rather than having to cross check every unit.

He/she wants to be able to mark the ranges instead of memorizing them. It is a bit of an inconvenience since a lot of ranged units have different ranges.
Precisely this. You could easily mark the tiles at risk of attack during the next enemy turn including moving units and even trebuchets etc. It's basically an aggregate of all the unit ranges, which lets the player undestand the 'safe zone'.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I know you beat it already now, but a funny trick you can do is to use Tenri's groove to send an enemy unit to the blocked off portion of the map at the top where they can't get back to fight. I didn't even notice there was more map up there the first time I tried (and failed) the mission.
Haha yes, I also did that with a full HP unit. The poor guy didn't know what to do and just wanderd around behind the wall.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this game ramps the difficulty. Had some problems with Mission 2- Got to Mission 3 and am getting wrecked. I feel like I'm not earning enough money even though I'm taking over bases. I also REALLY wish some of the units could start out at more than just 1 space from when you recruit them, like give an archer 3 spaces or something, idk, might break the game.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like they changed 3s to not look so close to 9 too.

Supernorn, are you aware of the quick match bug that auto ends people's turn?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the different colours though for the unit types. Aren't they all the same?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The color represent the "effectiveness" of the unit against that type, or the "vulnerability" to that unit type.

Green = most damage done
Red = most damage received
It's how effective / vulnerable they are, with green being most effective, and red being most vulnerable.
Then it's needlessly complicated. It already states effective/vulnerable. Do we really need different levels of how effective/vulnerable they are? If they're not as effective/vulnerable as other units then maybe not show them at all?

Also lol at the alchemist being both effective and vulnerable against spearmen.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Then it's needlessly complicated. It already states effective/vulnerable. Do we really need different levels of how effective/vulnerable they are? If they're not as effective/vulnerable as other units then maybe not show them?
Advance Wars did the same thing. For instance AA was obviously super effective against air, but also highly effective against infantry, not so effective against tanks, etc. We need this level of complexity in it.

For instance you might want to know if you should use a Giant against an Archer versus just using a Mage. Both are very effective, but one is more effective than the other.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I don't think that's unnecessary. It helps to add layers of strategy and replayability (different army compositions) to the game.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Then it's needlessly complicated. It already states effective/vulnerable. Do we really need different levels of how effective/vulnerable they are? If they're not as effective/vulnerable as other units then maybe not show them at all?

I'd much rather have that info.

Also, why LOL? It makes sense that two units would both be powerful against each other; it makes the first strike massively important.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Are you saying the graphic is needlessly complicated, or the gameplay mechanics are needlessly complicated? I didn't even know there were degrees of weakness, if anything the color being there is a very good indicator of that mechanic that otherwise I wouldn't have known about.

Also, the alchemist-spearmen scenario is very common in strategy games where "type effectiveness" is a thing. Even Pokemon has a couple of type interactions like that.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'd much rather have that info.

Also, why LOL? It makes sense that two units would both be powerful against it each other; it makes the first strike massively important.
Yep, initiative is everything. It's why a Mage is vulnerable to a dragon if the dragon attacks first, and vice versa.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying the graphic is needlessly complicated, or the gameplay mechanics are needlessly complicated? I didn't even know there were degrees of weakness, if anything the color being there is a very good indicator of that mechanic that otherwise I wouldn't have known about.

Also, the alchemist-spearmen scenario is very common in strategy games where "type effectiveness" is a thing. Even Pokemon has a couple of type interactions like that.
I mean, they don't have to differentiate various levels of effectiveness/vulnerability with different colours. Using your Pokemon analogy, imagine rock types do more damage than water types against fire/flying types and they use a colour chart with blue being super effective and green being super ultra effective.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I mean, they don't have to differentiate various levels of effectiveness/vulnerability with different colours. Using your Pokemon analogy, imagine if water types do more damage than rock types against fire types and they use a colour chart with blue being super effective and green being super ultra effective.
So you rather those degrees of weaknesses were kept secret and not exposed to the user? In that case you can just ignore the colors. Or are you saying you would rather this spiritual successor to an Intelligent System's SRPG weakness mechanics were toned down to match Pokemon's?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon has a jillion possible different attacks per unit, this game has maximum two. I can't imagine how boring this game would be if there were only a couple of "damage values" you could inflict on opponents. Varied damage ranges are very important.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
So you rather those degrees of weaknesses were kept secret and not exposed to the user? In that case you can just ignore the colors. Or are you saying you would rather this spiritual successor to an Intelligent System's SRPG weakness mechanics were toned down to match Pokemon's?
If you want to add maximum transparency, then add the damage multipliers as well. A unit being 'green' effective or 'blue' effective doesn't mean much. They're both effective when both units are at 100% HP.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to add maximum transparency, then add the damage multipliers as well. A unit being 'green' effective or 'blue' effective doesn't mean much. They're both effective when both units are at 100% HP.

...Did you not watch the clip in the tweet? The damage values are there. It isn't just vague colors.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
...Did you not watch the clip in the tweet? The damage values are there. It isn't just vague colors.
They already show those numbers in a seperate sheet when you go through the codex. Having to manually go through each symbol to see what the colours signify is both time-consuming and confusing. At first I thought the blue spear icon and the yellow spear icon were two different units. If they were the same colour I wouldn't get confused. They could have used blue/red or green/red to signify both effective/vulnerable.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Got through 3 Side 1 on my third try.

fQiOJnq.png

Some tips:

The trick for me was to build pikemen for the first 2 turns, send 2 southeast and 2 west, capturing the cities. Caesar holds off the northeast as long as he can with the help of the north alchemist who also takes the northeast city before backing up Caesar. The South Alchemist takes the southern town and holds the south entrance by camping the mountains to force the rest east into the pikemen.

Then get 2-3 ballistas as quickly as possible, and a couple of trebuchets. Exploit the money from the towns as early as you can, filling in gaps with more pikemen. But don't sacrifice too many units doing so, it's ok to pull back to the entrances and use heals from buildings and alchemists.

Don't worry too much about low health enemies, their damage is usually negligible and you can mop them up. Focus on big threats. You'll want to focus the majority of your ranged power north, and remember that the vampires can't fly over the walls.

ronald

Nov 2, 2017
I love this game, but I have a major QoL change that I really want.

The wind differences should be shown BEFORE they change. As it stands, the player who goes first will always have a slight advantage because the second player could occasionally forget the wind change will effect movement.

Playing through campaign and on act 4, and I never saw where they explained weather effects. Did I just miss this?

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but I thought it was a bug and noticed after a few games what it was.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanna give a shoutout to the quality of the campaign mode. Finishing off Act 3, there's been a ton of variety in mission goals. It's not just different maps and prebuilt units. One mission is a build from scratch, another is ferrying villagers, another is town defense, and yet another is moving from goal to goal, rationing 5 units and a handful of heals.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone care to share their current difficulty sliders? Normal is too frustrating, but low sliders across the board is far too easy. I don't particularly care about stars, I just want it to be a bit more reasonable.

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone care to share their current difficulty sliders? Normal is too frustrating, but low sliders across the board is far too easy. I don't particularly care about stars, I just want it to be a bit more reasonable.

i would try reducing damage taken by 10-15%, this gives you just a liiiiiiiittle more wiggle room in fights which can make a huge difference

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think I reached the final mission (before epilogue), and it looks hard but fair
The one before that was a marathon but nothing unbearable. Getting a B on marathon maps is such a kick in the balls tho :(
And yeah the last caesar mission.. man fuck that lol, idk when I'll try it but damn

I think I like what they did with naval units balancing ? It's a good rock paper scissor system but with 4 entities checking each other out (amph > harp > turtle > battle ship > amph and harp)
They are slow as fuck though, I'm used to fast boats

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Think I reached the final mission (before epilogue), and it looks hard but fair
The one before that was a marathon but nothing unbearable. Getting a B on marathon maps is such a kick in the balls tho :(
And yeah the last caesar mission.. man fuck that lol, idk when I'll try it but damn

I think I like what they did with naval units balancing ? It's a good rock paper scissor system but with 4 entities checking each other out (amph > harp > turtle > battle ship > amph and harp)
They are slow as fuck though, I'm used to fast boats
Sounds like it's not some Days of Ruin final mission bullshit, that's good.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I love this game, but I have a major QoL change that I really want.

The wind differences should be shown BEFORE they change. As it stands, the player who goes first will always have a slight advantage because the second player could occasionally forget the wind change will effect movement.

Playing through campaign and on act 4, and I never saw where they explained weather effects. Did I just miss this?

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but I thought it was a bug and noticed after a few games what it was.
Yes!

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I must say massive shout-out to Puzzle mode which can be genuine head-scratcher. Whomever that designed these missions are genius and I am constantly surprised at how little "decorations" there are on large maps. The Siege is my absolute favourite followed by The Winding Bridge - meanwhile, Storming The Keep sticks to me as least likable due to utilization of a mechanic that's perhaps not too well-communicated.

Insaniac

Jul 27, 2018
i was literally ONE turn away from beating the second Caesar mission and I miss-clicked cost me the game. I also accidentally ended a critical turn before that. REALLY annoying.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm making my way through the game I think I'm starting to understand the "slow" and "sluggish" complaints this game has been receiving.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but just to make sure I booted up my old saves in both Advance Wars 2 and Days of Ruin and something about those games just feel much more snappy, even with attack animations on. Wargrove on the other hand, just feels... plodding, even with the attack animations off.

Like I said, I can't quite put my finger on what it is but it's starting to make the game feel like a chore to play, especially on the later larger maps.