• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just did Caesar's 2nd and got an S-rank on the first go. Push out of the base quickly so you can get village gold cooking. Send one Ballista NE early. Build a Trebuchet when they get their first Golem and bait the Golem into the Trebuchet's crit range. Build a wagon on turn 2 or so... but that's true on every single map.

Other than that, there are a lot of obvious choke points. If you back up Caesar with an Archer and an idle Ballista, you can have him stand tall and face-tank a bridge while you shred them with ranged fire.

What does the grave do in caesers first mission? Got a hot ellipses, and thats it.

He's like a Fire Emblem dancer. Adjacent that have finished their turn reactivate.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While we're talking QoL, one thing I'll say is that basic unit info screen that shows Advantages & Disadvantages is absolutely indecipherable. It should use "Dragon" icon instead of a smudgy six-pixel tall rendering of one of four variants of a unit I haven't even encountered in the campaign yet...

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
While we're talking QoL, one thing I'll say is that basic unit info screen that shows Advantages & Disadvantages is absolutely indecipherable. It should use "Dragon" icon instead of a smudgy six-pixel tall rendering of one of four variants of a unit I haven't even encountered in the campaign yet...
I still can't tell the difference between Knight and Swordsman icons. The plume animation seems slightly different, but that's about it.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
QoL I'd like to see:
- End turn at bottom of list
- CO Groove status in that list (top of list a la AW)
- Music selected in Sound test continues playing out of there and in all subsequent menus (would love different songs while I wait for MP)
- Overall match timer instead of turn timers in MP quick match. Embrace the asynchronous play more (maybe 72hr or 1 week match timer)
- Way to revise maps without copying and uploading a new version (anti clutter)
- Fog of War - more information hidden from other players, especially gold earned and spent.
- Undo option for movement before attacking. So many archers moved then set to wait because I was trying to zone.
- effectiveness iconography options
- Animation speed up options
- One handed control option (rather than pan camera be able to move cursor with right stick, or have gyro pointer.
- Kick player from lobby in MP before match starts. Mainly something I saw plaguing streamers.
- Par for turns to earn S Rank.
- S Rank fanfare chime or music.
- Option for cursor click sound for movement (helps with feedback)
- Cursor disconnects following cutscenes, panning, etc is jarring.
- Nuru spawned units need to start exhausted rather than ready (not sure if this balance or not. Haven't dealt with Nuru myself)
- Auto end setting includes when not enough money to build units.
- ability to do multiple players on single system in online matches (2v2 online with theoretically only 2 systems [is this not here already?])

- Switch mobile app integration (invites or turn notices). Obviously more on Nintendo than Chucklefish

Last edited:

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Yep they definitely need to do something about the advantages and disadvantages in the character screen. That stuff is incomprehensible.

Maybe as an interim measure you could run your cursor over it and see which unit they are talking about.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Just did Caesar's 2nd and got an S-rank on the first go. Push out of the base quickly so you can get village gold cooking. Send one Ballista NE early. Build a Trebuchet when they get their first Golem and bait the Golem into the Trebuchet's crit range. Build a wagon on turn 2 or so... but that's true on every single map.

Other than that, there are a lot of obvious choke points. If you back up Caesar with an Archer and an idle Ballista, you can have him stand tall and face-tank a bridge while you shred them with ranged fire.

He's like a Fire Emblem dancer. Adjacent that have finished their turn reactivate.

Nah, not his ult. Theres a grave you can move to and get unique dialogue from on his first mission.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
QoL I'd like to see:
- End turn at bottom of list
- CO Groove status in that list (top of list a la AW)
- Music selected in Sound test continues playing out of there and in all subsequent menus (would love different songs while I wait for MP)
- Overall match timer instead of turn timers in MP quick match. Embrace the asynchronous play more (maybe 72hr or 1 week match timer)
- Way to revise maps without copying and uploading a new version (anti clutter)
- Fog of War - more information hidden from other players, especially gold earned and spent.
- Undo option for movement before attacking. So many archers moved then set to wait because I was trying to zone.
- effectiveness iconography options
- Animation speed up options
- One handed control option (rather than pan camera be able to move cursor with right stick, or have gyro pointer.
- Kick player from lobby in MP before match starts. Mainly something I saw plaguing streamers.
- Par for turns to earn S Rank.
- S Rank fanfare chime or music.
- Option for cursor click sound for movement (helps with feedback)
- Cursor disconnects following cutscenes, panning, etc is jarring.
- Nuru spawned units starting exhausted rather than ready (not sure if this balance or not. Haven't dealt with Nuru myself)
- Auto end setting includes when not enough money to build units.
- ability to do multiple players on single system in online matches (2v2 online with theoretically only 2 systems [is this not here already?])

- Switch mobile app integration (invites or turn notices). Obviously more on Nintendo than Chucklefish
Nuru's summoned units are able to move on the same turn unless you're talking about a bug or something.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm saying they shouldn't. Reworded to clarify.
I think they would need something to make up for that, because otherwise it would be a fairly weak power for the most part. It's not much faster than bringing a unit in on a wagon/barge/balloon. Maybe make the unit be 75% cost or a flat amount less, or maybe give you the unit you request and then a random soldier for free with it, placed adjacent to Nuru.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I haven't played her or against her in MP so I have no opinion on her vanilla. Just comparing her to Valder, aside from speed of groove, Valder seems weak. He does have the fastest groove though, so maybe.

I just need to play more, which is an awesome problem to have for this game haha.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
Yep they definitely need to do something about the advantages and disadvantages in the character screen. That stuff is incomprehensible.

We hear you (this is pointed out a lot) and people will be pleased with the solution we're looking at. Ironically these used to be represented with symbols, but all the feedback we received suggested they were also indecipherable and hard to read.

Proving the rule that sometimes you just can't win ;D

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nuru seems fine, the most busted thing you can do seems to be popping a trebuchet in crit range to demolish something

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Having to pay full price for the teleported unit makes Nuru's groove be fine. I don't see it as broken.

Oct 25, 2017
Does everyone else get the "The software was closed because an error occurred" after leaving the game in sleep mode for some time?

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Got wrecked on my first attempt of 3-1, but 3-starred on the second attempt.
I sent a couple Alchemists and a steady stream of pikemen south. My Ballista went north along with my commander, an alchemist, and a steady stream of soldiers. Was able to advance the ballista to where it protected both lanes. Added a ranger or two, Knight, second ballista, etc. as money allows. On my first attempt I was sending most of my strength south and the harpies picked them off and was building too many alchemists instead of a steady stream of fodder.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Question: sometimes the cursor to place a unit has a darker colour (so not lightbrown but darkbrown/grey) - what does this indicate? Is it just to show the furthest this unit can go or... ?

The one where you're defending the four villagers? Yeah fuck that one, I tried it and made it to the last turn, and then Caesar died on that turn. I was so close.
I thought the game wasn't too difficult, and then I did Caesar's second mission. Yikes. I'll give it another shot later tonight, but definitely not a fan of the mission format.

How I did it (after 2 tries):
- Start by making cheap soldiers to capture asap
- Put a good mixture between alchemist/ranger/pikeman near the top right and mid-left. Put your commander near those mountains on the top right, always have 1-2 alchemists near him.
- don't go too far out in any other direction, it's useless. Better to let them come to you, your castle walls are your defense
- keep a few spare units near the two bottom houses/farms. I was able to hold the bottom-right one with only 3 units (archer, alchemist and pike)
- keeping the farms is not a priority. Just recapture them once the coast is clear.
- once you have enough gold, buy 2 trebuchets, it should be around the same time the enemy launches their own trebuchet. This made the trebuchet and giant attacks a non-issue.
- Once the last wave is done (this gets announced in game) you can send all spare units to the top to help with the last incoming wave

Last edited:

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Question: sometimes the cursor to place a unit has a darker colour (so not lightbrown but darkbrown/grey) - what does this indicate? Is it just to show the furthest this unit can go or... ?
This confused me for ages until I saw a dev post what it means:

The dark brown squares are the ones you can move to but not attack (e.g. because you can't move to any squares adjacent to it, or because you're a ballista and it's out of your attack range.) That's why wagons and villagers have all brown squares

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This confused me for ages until I saw a dev post what it means:

The dark brown squares are the ones you can move to but not attack (e.g. because you can't move to any squares adjacent to it, or because you're a ballista and it's out of your attack range.) That's why wagons and villagers have all brown squares
Haha, sound logical - thanks!

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
We hear you (this is pointed out a lot) and people will be pleased with the solution we're looking at. Ironically these used to be represented with symbols, but all the feedback we received suggested they were also indecipherable and hard to read.

2019012417161000-935E13FC47C481C979FEA5B1CC318284.jpg
Ya even at this high resolution they're hard to make out, not to mention they change per faction.
I would suggest more detailed symbols or
an extra tab on that screen with the Symbol + the text beside it blown up on the new tab

Whatever way you work it out I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I haven't played her or against her in MP so I have no opinion on her vanilla. Just comparing her to Valder, aside from speed of groove, Valder seems weak. He does have the fastest groove though, so maybe.

I just need to play more, which is an awesome problem to have for this game haha.
Valder's groove is actually really powerful.
She's already neutered. She can't build aerial units apparently.
Yes she can, I've used her groove to build harpies.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Valder's groove is actually really powerful.

Yes she can, I've used her groove to build harpies.
Cool. I'll have to give Valder a chance then!

I really am having a hard time finding anything that isn't balances well in this game. Whereas AW it's immediately apparent some COs are just busted or busters.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
2019012417161000-935E13FC47C481C979FEA5B1CC318284.jpg
Ya even at this high resolution they're hard to make out, not to mention they change per faction.
I would suggest more detailed symbols or
an extra tab on that screen with the Symbol + the text.

Whatever way you work it out I'm sure it'll be fantastic.
I have never seen screenshots of the version with the symbols, but yeah I agree that that should be the simplest. A bow for the archers, sword for the soldiers, horse for the knights, etc.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

I really am having a hard time finding anything that isn't balances well in this game. Whereas AW it's immediately apparent some COs are just busted or busters.
So you mean basically bring back Eagle with Dual Strike's Dual CO system lul.

Or Colin's super power lmao.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

I keep reevaluating every CO that I think is kind of sucky. Valder solves an interesting problem. Swordsmen are made of paper, but hit archers and alchemists pretty hard! So you make them and have them instantly go on the offense. Also, I have problem keeping enough footmen alive to capture buildings, but his flow of swordsmen means it can be easier to keep retaking a building. And with your overabundance of 10hp swordsmen, you can constantly siphon more health from your freshly capped buildings than your opponent can.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan

Personally I'd have the easiest time if it was just a list of names similar to the store but condensed for space. I can identify any of the units by their sprite (so far, I'm still early so I'm definitely not an authority) but my brain just can't parse the little head icons.

I've also accidentally set units to wait, and same with end turn. I imagine if there was a 2nd confirmation dialog after ending turn though it'd be tired really fast and I'd just want to turn it off anyways. One thing I miss from Into The Breach is the undo option after moving units. Don't expect that as an option though since it seems like a bigger change.

Overall I'm really enjoying the game. I was pleasantly surprised that my brother in law texted too asking if I got it since he's gotten really into it and was hoping to try multiplayer. Didn't expect turn based strategy to be his thing since the only other game we've played multiplayer so far is Smash.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep reevaluating every CO that I think is kind of sucky. Valder solves an interesting problem. Swordsmen are made of paper, but hit archers and alchemists pretty hard! So you make them and have them instantly go on the offense. Also, I have problem keeping enough footmen alive to capture buildings, but his flow of swordsmen means it can be easier to keep retaking a building. And with your overabundance of 10hp swordsmen, you can constantly siphon more health from your freshly capped buildings than your opponent can.
Yeah, Valder's ability let's him exercise far more control over the map and buildings on the map than most other commanders. In comparison to Nuru his ability seems lacking, but he compares favorably to most of the other commanders.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I was talkin some mess yesterday, but I think I'm done going for S ranks in this. Hoo boy this game gets difficult.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I actually enjoy the bigger maps because the S rank requirement is higher to account for increased chaos. I've S-ranked every big map so far in one try and taken some to quite a few more for the tighter small maps. Different type of optimization fun in either option.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So all of the map customization, browser, etc is fully available on Switch right? There's nothing that only the PC version can access?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of weird that joining units isn't in this game, but at the same time I kind of get why given the other ways to heal. Mages and the way healing from buildings works now do make it more limited. Also Mercia's groove has a good heal too.

Insaniac

Jul 27, 2018
Damn are all the star rating based on turn? I was assuming it was a collection of things like enemies killed / units lost / turns. I play way to conservatively generally.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prioritizing the enemy commander is the best way to get S ranks. You can usually bait them out and then surround them and kill them with a little planning, and it is a lot faster than going for the HQ on most maps