• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the AI bound by the restrictions of Fog of War at all in this game? It really doesn't seem like it is.

Tried to hide a unit in the woods, but the AI still attacked it, even though there were no enemy dogs around.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Is the AI bound by the restrictions of Fog of War at all in this game? It really doesn't seem like it is.

Tried to hide a unit in the woods, but the AI still attacked it, even though there were no enemy dogs around.
Yeah, I think AI is cheating as always. It's probably hard to code it as it would need a different kind of AI approach to playing.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

It's something they've said they're looking into. Currently the AI is unaffected by fog.

The original GBA/DS carts aren't super expensive, and they are also available on Wii U VC. I definitely recommend them, if you end liking Wargroove you should definitely get them (Ys VIII is awesome, btw).
Wargroove is definitely worth the $20 and Ys VIII is one of my favorite RPGs of all time so can't go wrong with that combo.

Never played a Ys game, but I'm a little leery of the Switch version's alleged performance issues, being a reaction-sensitive action game. Not normally a performance-minded person, but seems like it could be punitive with Ys?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's something they've said they're looking into. Currently the AI is unaffected by fog.

Never played a Ys game, but I'm a little leery of the Switch version's alleged performance issues, being a reaction-sensitive action game. Not normally a performance-minded person, but seems like it could be punitive with Ys?
I haven't played the Switch version, but from what I understand it is 30 FPS and pretty solid, with a few drops. That said, I played the Vita version originally and that one has a lot of frame drops, far worse performance and image quality than the Switch version, but I still found it to be playable. PS4 version is the most stable with the best performance, but people seem to be OK with the Switch version as well.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Huh, I think I can tell things better apart with the colorblind mode off. I was wondering why the forest people were all purple, then I turned it off. Bright green, huh? That's much easier to tell from medium red than medium purple is for me.

Also, my ratings seem to have plummeted. I need to find out what determines rankings in this game. Is it just turns taken? Because playing properly reckless is hard, sometimes.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I wont lie, when it comes to strategy games aesthetic really matters to me. Still haven't played ITB cause I just do not care for mechs.

Thanks for your thoughts though guys, will probably pick this up!

After playing about 10 hours of Wargroove this weekend my conclusion is Into the Breach is an all-around better game. They're pretty different, but ITB feels like an evolution of AW, whereas Wargroove is a not as great but still good homage of AW.

... I'd recommend ITB over this , I think the gameplay is enough to win you over even if you don't care for the monsters and mech theme.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
So ready to dive into this game.

For people wanting other Advance Wars homages, Warbits on iOS is a direct clone that's well made. And Lost Frontiers is another iOS game made by a solid developer that's inspired by AW but set in a fantasy version of the Wild West.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Wth is the S-rank turn limit for Act 2 Side 2? I've beaten it like 5 times and got it down to 14 turns. Sedge just keeps running away. I'm either going to try to save my groove to trap him with 4 tiles or just try rushing the base with knight spam.

And yet you can make a bunch of other low-cost units that have all the utility of Swordsmen with a ton more strengths. I don't see how this was a decision made to prevent infantry spam, considering you can just as easily spam Pikemen who are just flat-out better units. Half the ground unit roster can capture, plus your commander who can capture and is extremely durable.
Pikemen move through forests like sludge. God help you if you have to walk through 2 forest tiles. Swordsmen are much more mobile, and the breakpoints on forests and mountains matter. I also thought they were trash, but they can navigate higher def tiles and when on the offense from those tiles, they can 1v1 pikemen AND dogs. The CO crit doesn't happen often in my experience, but in super cramped maps I can see it happening.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You could try tweaking the settings to find a difficulty that's challenging but works for you.

Yeah, I'm trying. I only got to play a little more today. I doubled my gold, but that was way too much a swing the other way. Gotta find a balance. Game is cool and I am liking it. But, yeah, for a first timer to the genre, it is pretty tough.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Really enjoying the game but I have a nitpick.

When selecting a unit. I would rather the weaknesses and strengths to be written out in text or the full unit sprit shown instead of the weird avators shown. It's impossible to tell what's what with that I find.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Having a lot of fun so far! S-ranked 2-1 and the first side mission on my first tries, although the former got slightly hectic. On to 2-2...

When selecting a unit. I would rather the weaknesses and strengths to be written out in text or the full unit sprit shown instead of the weird avators shown. It's impossible to tell what's what with that I find.

One option would be using the secondary icon (e.g. spear for pikemen, bow for ranger) to show strengths/weaknesses. Memorizing four different faction portraits for each unit is impossible. It'd be nice if they were made apparent in the combat forecast, too, so players didn't have to pull up the chart much to begin with.

Unrelatedly, the turn requirements for each grade should really be visible in-game, IMO. (Unless I've missed it somewhere?)

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really digging this so far and I love how the tweaks to the AW formula affect gameplay. Even putting aside the obvious ones, smaller things like Wagons having a much higher move range and being able to carry Rangers has a huge knock-on effect, especially given most of the maps so far have very limited amounts of barracks. (Put another way, they're actually worth a damn.)

I'm up to 3-1 and already took care of 2-S1 and 2-S2, but I haven't done the last side mission (the small one) for act 2 yet.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just took down 3-1 with an S-rank, but I'm not sure how deserved it was.

I *like* the risk-reward of bringing your powerful CO into battle with you, but sometimes it's very difficult to calculate if he or she can be killed in a single, fuck-everything-else turn by the enemy. The enemy AI brought Ragna fairly close in, and I managed to do an *exact* 100% of damage (if I'd been one % short, it wouldn't have worked) by suddenly surrounding her by using a wagon that happened to be in the right position. I didn't plan the previous turn to go all-in; I didn't think Ragna would stick around. If I were playing a real opponent, I'd be like, hah! Foolish mistake! But against an AI, it felt like it made the overall design of the battlefield and mission feel like it didn't matter.

It's a minor complaint, though, and I'm happy to snag the S-rank. I don't seem to have as much trouble with QoL stuff as other users here, and I'm still definitely loving it. Animations ALL off, however. As beautiful as they are, the game is much too slow with them on.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed. Also would be nice if the icons remained one constant color too instead of differing when looking at them from an ally or enemy perspective.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Oh here's a potential QoL change I'd like to see:

If I have auto-end-turn enabled and there are barracks/towers/etc I haven't used but don't have money to buy anything, end the turn for me. As it stands it doesn't auto end in that scenario even though I can't do anything.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Bloop. Liking the game. REALLY wish it had an autosave. I'd take the 1*. But man I tire of dying out of nowhere and then having to redo a battle that was all but won.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

Anyone want to try this map out? First attempt. Mostly curious if player 2 side is even enough.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
AI does have significant difficulty handling commander mechanic, and I think I know exactly why.

It seems to be that AI does its calculation unit-by-unit completely independent from overall surrounding situation. So enemy throws units to HQ or commander even when such rush is ineffective; enemy units waste time hitting commander who can just retreat and heal when they could have significantly damaged my high-tier units nearby... which since they are unscathed, immediately counterattacks and wipes out all the enemy rushers. In fact, this is one of the most common way you shift battles vs AI in your favour in spite of its overwhelming advantage.

For example on my most recent missions, isolated cavalry that can crit a catapult or hit your full-health commander for 2 will always choose the latter, and enemy unit that can hit full-health HQ for absolutely no reason or hit my unit to significantly wound (albeit not kill) will always choose the former.

I do hope ability to change AI behaviours get introduced some day rather than being given set AI characteristics, because I would love to experiment to tweak with them.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Puzzle maps are fun! I've been taking a break from the campaign every once and a while and trying some. Still haven't touched Arcade mode though.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to see if you did A or S rank on the overworld? Weird that they're both three stars.

AI does have significant difficulty handling commander mechanic, and I think I know exactly why.

It seems to be that AI does its calculation unit-by-unit completely independent from overall surrounding situation. So enemy throws units to HQ or commander even when such rush is ineffective; enemy units waste time hitting commander who can just retreat and heal when they could have significantly damaged my high-tier units nearby... which since they are unscathed, immediately counterattacks and wipes out all the enemy rushers. In fact, this is one of the most common way you shift battles vs AI in your favour in spite of its overwhelming advantage.

For example on my most recent missions, isolated cavalry that can crit a catapult or hit your full-health commander for 2 will always choose the latter, and enemy unit that can hit full-health HQ for absolutely no reason or hit my unit to significantly wound (albeit not kill) will always choose the former.

I do hope ability to change AI behaviours get introduced some day rather than being given set AI characteristics, because I would love to experiment to tweak with them.
It makes sense like how the AI targets infantry in Advance Wars because they're necessary to capture the HQ. Often the only unit who can go toe to toe with the commander is your own commander. That it causes a loss when your commander dies is also part of the equation. That's why supporting your commander's flanks is important. Never had any close calls this way, especially since Mercia and Emeric have defense-oriented grooves. Caesar is more vulnerable however but does have the most risk/reward groove.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This game is excellent and really scratches the Advance Wars itch.

Some mechanics from AW left and we got new ones, but there's one I kind of wish stayed to some degree: fuel/rations. Without those, it unfortunately makes a submarine-like unit or other stealth unit not a viable thing to be in the game as it would be overpowered. Subs in AW were fun and gave an element of surprise. On direction they could go is to only have fuel/rations on the sub-like unit. I hope one day they actually add it.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't found much of a use for dogs. They're like Recons, but with way less movement, slightly less vision range, and less durability against infantry. With the upside being infantry move type instead of tires, I suppose? It feels like a very uneven tradeoff. At first I figured they'd be good for capturing, like bikes, but nope.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
And yet you can make a bunch of other low-cost units that have all the utility of Swordsmen with a ton more strengths. I don't see how this was a decision made to prevent infantry spam, considering you can just as easily spam Pikemen who are just flat-out better units. Half the ground unit roster can capture, plus your commander who can capture and is extremely durable.
I think that Pikemen are more vulnerable to proyectiles than the Swordmen.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Struggling a bit with how slow the battles are. I think I'm spoiled by Into the Breach. I already disabled enemy animations, but it seems like a shame to disable everything.

How do I play the custom content? I downloaded two maps, but there's no option to play.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
What on earth do the brown movement tiles signify?
Tiles to which you can move, but which you cannot attack. (Since everything in your move range is also in your attack range, usually; brown tiles mostly happen due to nearby units blocking the space you'd have to attack from.) That's why, for example, the wagon has all brown tiles -- it can't attack anything ever.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Struggling a bit with how slow the battles are. I think I'm spoiled by Into the Breach. I already disabled enemy animations, but it seems like a shame to disable everything.

How do I play the custom content? I downloaded two maps, but there's no option to play.

Go into multiplayer and then the local option. You can load maps from there.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The flag on the map icon should be yellow for S and red for A. When you open the mission description, there will be an S medal, but nothing for A.
Ah, thank you. I've made some mistakes so I'd like to go back to S rank them. Like the chapter where you have to take Mercia to the other side of the map. I didn't know the green army could just build a caravan which Mercia can board. I had AW's different factions in my head for some reason lol

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 3 Side 2 is fun and I S-Ranked it without a problem.

Chapter 3 Side 1 is a nightmare and, while tactically interesting, ten million years too long.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is excellent and really scratches the Advance Wars itch.

Some mechanics from AW left and we got new ones, but there's one I kind of wish stayed to some degree: fuel/rations. Without those, it unfortunately makes a submarine-like unit or other stealth unit not a viable thing to be in the game as it would be overpowered. Subs in AW were fun and gave an element of surprise. On direction they could go is to only have fuel/rations on the sub-like unit. I hope one day they actually add it.
Just make them lose 1hp per turn hidden and regen 0.5 per turn visible

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I realized how much I miss the impact a CO has on the whole army like in AW or even an area of influence like Days of Ruin.
It kinda sucks for balancing issues but in turn gives the COs much more personality gameplay wise.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I think I said this before but this game is pretty much everything I could've ever asked for from something like this. Amazing game and I'm loving every minute of it.

Some of the dialogue in the story is great too.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's a bit weird I have to select my unit to attack a unit again after selecting it to move and attack on a unit.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
This game could really use a bunch of Quality of Life UX things.

Things like marking the area safe from enemy reach, marking the tiles valid for a critical attack, and even optional ghosting/flagging of sights that are now in the fog. I have taken to using screenshots to record items visible in the fog. Bleh.

In other news, I'm horrible at this game. I might just crank the difficulty down.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Was pretty pumped for this game but the overriding impression from this thread for me is that I should wait a couple of months for some gameplay and QoL patches.

Dang.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Can I see S rank requirements for each mission somewhere? I would at least want to know how many turns I need in order to S rank older missions

Oct 27, 2017
After playing about 10 hours of Wargroove this weekend my conclusion is Into the Breach is an all-around better game. They're pretty different, but ITB feels like an evolution of AW, whereas Wargroove is a not as great but still good homage of AW.

... I'd recommend ITB over this , I think the gameplay is enough to win you over even if you don't care for the monsters and mech theme.

I love ITB. I put about 60 hours into it last year. Based on what I know about AW, idk ITB seems absolutely nothing like AW. It's more of a tactics puzzle game at its core, and wargroove has a completely different mindset. Wargroove seems like it would scratch an AW itch better, while ITB is pretty unlike anything else.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Was pretty pumped for this game but the overriding impression from this thread for me is that I should wait a couple of months for some gameplay and QoL patches.

Dang.

Unless you want an absolutely perfect game then why wait? The QoL changes seem so minor and dont warrant a several month wait for a game you were excited for.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Unless you want an absolutely perfect game then why wait? The QoL changes seem so minor and dont warrant a several month wait for a game you were excited for.

It's more the stuff about enemy being immune to fog of war etc that drives me up the wall. Sounds like the devs are looking at it, and I think it's worth waiting for.