• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Bought this anyway and while I'm still in further than mission five or so I can already say it's really good at scratching that AW-itch. There are definitely some QoL improvements that can elevate this game to another level (the most important one is the cursor snapping to enemies when attacking imo), but they are detail in what seems like a great and polished experience.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Even if none of the available coloblind modes helps me to distinguish more easily one of the green tones with the color of the neutral faction, I'm very grateful for giving helping others to enjoy the game. Supernorn , please share my thanks with the whole team for keeping us in mind while you were working on the game.

Just downloaded the Castaway Companions custom campaign and it's already pretty rad to see what people can come up with. Mercia is shipwrecked on an island and has to team up with Ragna to escape, the cutscenes are all there and look as good as those in the main campaign, just awesome to see how much detail people can tweak.
Sounds awesome. I can't wait to finish the main campaign to try the game editors myself!

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just downloaded the Castaway Companions custom campaign and it's already pretty rad to see what people can come up with. Mercia is shipwrecked on an island and has to team up with Ragna to escape, the cutscenes are all there and look as good as those in the main campaign, just awesome to see how much detail people can tweak.
Yeah I downloaded a custom map too and it was super unique and cool. I can see myself play this game weekly for years.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these missions are tough. How do I beat the "Old Friend" mission where it's Emeric and like 4 soldiers for the entire game? I cant keep them all alive for the 3rd phase.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded that one too! The person that made it is actually a Wargroove dev and I have seen them post here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to mention this. This is speculative because the AI isn't clever enough to make use of this, but capturing villages seems a bit easy. You just use a 10 HP unit and it becomes yours with 5 HP on the same turn, which you can then use to reinforce another unit since you can still do it at the other three directions of the village. Sure, you need to take the village first if it's occupied, but with neutral villages, it's free. Since caravans have such high movement on roads, I reckon a solid strategy is to start the game with building caravans and foot soldiers and carry them and your CO to a location with dense villages. You then supply the frontline with troops and use the villages to form a defensive line and heal back HP.

I'm sure Chucklefish has playtested this extensively. I imagine it's easy to destroy an economy by attacking defenseless villages with knights. It depends on the map, really, but it seems rife to be abused by good players. There will probably be games with fog of war where a novice builds strong units slowly and 10 turns later, he/she encounters several mounted firebreathing dragons laying waste on his/her foot soldiers lol
The way villages work in this game are very different from Advance Wars and maybe even more balanced. In AW you had to capture in two turns with a full HP infantry, mech, or bike. Units could stand on top of a city and if it was allied, would automatically resupply the unit on top and heal it for 20%, but that would come out of your funds. In Wargroove your villages are always at risk, even if you have them surrounded by allies because Rangers can still attack them, plus you would have to use 4 units to completely block off a village, and to heal you have to spend that unit's turn. It does make things more interesting and eliminates some of the "sit Rockets on cities and have them snipe things every turn" strats in AW.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these missions are tough. How do I beat the "Old Friend" mission where it's Emeric and like 4 soldiers for the entire game? I cant keep them all alive for the 3rd phase.

I used Emeric to tank most of the damage and had the Alchemists swoop in to clean up. This also builds up his Defence aura quickly which helped slow the bleeding. You have like 3000 gold which equals 10 heals with the Alchemists so be sure to make them count. or what its worth, I lost an Alchamist going into the third phase and still won comfetably so its doable without a perfect run.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Does the Switch version have the pass and play multiplayer of the old AW games?

I miss that shit.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Here's a controversial statement : the developers have massively undercharged for this game. I think it's easily worth an extra tenner.

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with all of the UX nitpicks that have been brought. I hope they address these as they do make a difference.

However, I'm loving this game and having a hard time putting it down.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only a couple missions into Act 2 but I'm loving everything about this game so far.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a controversial statement : the developers have massively undercharged for this game. I think it's easily worth an extra tenner.
Agreed, but we're not the market the price point needs to entice. Hell, even for fans of the genre, there are a few reviews that compare this to Into the Breach as if they were any more than faintly related.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Agreed, but we're not the market the price point needs to entice. Hell, even for fans of the genre, there are a few reviews that compare this to Into the Breach as if they were any more than faintly related.
I'm sure they'll probably make more money at its current price. But it OOZES quality. This could have easily been a full priced 3DS game and no one would have batted and eyelid.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really struggle to see what's going on in busy fights. Units overlap each other, I can't tell which units are mine or the enemies and everything becomes a mess of pixels :(

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I used Emeric to tank most of the damage and had the Alchemists swoop in to clean up. This also builds up his Defence aura quickly which helped slow the bleeding. You have like 3000 gold which equals 10 heals with the Alchemists so be sure to make them count. or what its worth, I lost an Alchamist going into the third phase and still won comfetably so its doable without a perfect run.
I finally did it thanks

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished Act 2 and good God this game is great. There was a reality check on mission 3,but since then I've been getting S rank every mission. Loving the puzzle element to placing troops for crits. I'm still undecided on how fog of war is handled in conjunction with forests compared to AW. Seems forest placement is nerfed or not as "stall-y" for promoting safer advancing.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I was really hyped for this but am going to wait and see if they do any QoL fixes before I jump in.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely prefer the zoomed out view compared to the zoomed in one, gives a much better view of everything and the art looks so crisp!

ew1J5gM.jpg

PaHLYZY.jpg

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so good. I'm hopelessly addicted. Me and my boy Caesar are going to take over the world.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
Even if none of the available coloblind modes helps me to distinguish more easily one of the green tones with the color of the neutral faction, I'm very grateful for giving helping others to enjoy the game. Supernorn , please share my thanks with the whole team for keeping us in mind while you were working on the game.

I will! Is there something we can do with the colourblind options to assist further? Which form of colour blindness do you have?

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
Also if anyone was wondering, I can confirm we'll be making some quality of life changes to the game based on feedback received over the last day or so.

As mentioned in our Reddit AMA today, look for "quicker skipping of battle cutscenes, an option for faster map movement locked on by default, online play with bots, some tweaks to fog of war, and some other bits and bobs."

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
Also if anyone was wondering, I can confirm we'll be making some quality of life changes to the game based on feedback received over the last day or so.

As mentioned in our Reddit AMA today, look for "quicker skipping of battle cutscenes, an option for faster map movement locked on by default, online play with bots, some tweaks to fog of war, and some other bits and bobs."

Fantastic! Very much looking forward to that. Thanks for listening and keeping us updated!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for your team's continued hard work!

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

Maybe you're tired of hearing it but amazing work. I wanna congratulate all the team in making this amazing game. And thank you for listening to the community so you are able to make all of these small tweaks to make the game a little better.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
how is this game and is the Switch port good?

it looks interesting

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

You guys are the best.

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017
Mission 2 of Act 2 is absolutely whooping my ass. I'm about to start messing with the difficulty sliders I think.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it looks interesting

PC and Switch versions aren't ports.

PS4 and XB1 were outsourced to Blitworks for additional developer support.

Edit - sorry, I didn't actually answer your question regarding performance. Switch version runs extremely well.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Is there or will there be a way to "friend" people from different platforms? PC and Switch users' names are displayed in shared content and you can "find more from this author" regardless of platform. Say I play a game with my friend on another platform, is there then a way to send match invites to them?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

it looks interesting
The game is all I wanted (pretty much the first really competent spiritual successor to Advance Wars in a decade), few games have as much content as this does without even touching the custom map and campaign options, and it runs flawlessly on Switch.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Great to hear! Even without those QoL changes, you guys have done an amazing job with this game. I'm loving every second of it.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
My main complaint at the moment is that I wish there were a little bit of leeway with the difficulty sliders instead of the slightest reduction with any of them automatically restricting your rating to 1 star, even if you cranked the other sliders all the way up to max difficulty.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The way villages work in this game are very different from Advance Wars and maybe even more balanced. In AW you had to capture in two turns with a full HP infantry, mech, or bike. Units could stand on top of a city and if it was allied, would automatically resupply the unit on top and heal it for 20%, but that would come out of your funds. In Wargroove your villages are always at risk, even if you have them surrounded by allies because Rangers can still attack them, plus you would have to use 4 units to completely block off a village, and to heal you have to spend that unit's turn. It does make things more interesting and eliminates some of the "sit Rockets on cities and have them snipe things every turn" strats in AW.
You're probably right, though in multiplayer, Rockets sitting on cities was rarely a viable tactic unless your name is Grit. Rockets are too frail even on cities and they're too costly to use as an advancing force.

In Wargroove, I really like the Ranger's versatility. Maybe they should have taken a note from the archer in Fire Emblem and made it ranged only, but I suppose the 500 gold cost offsets that. I just don't like the finicky controls. People have already mentioned you can't auto target and press left/right or up/down to change targets.

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Damn, this really seems to be a hit. I was hooked when I saw the trailer last night. Wargroove peeked very well in the german eShop charts.

Can anyone tell something about playtime and if this is a game with an insane difficulty?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, this really seems to be a hit. I was hooked when I saw the trailer last night. Wargroove peeked very well in the german eShop charts.

Can anyone tell something about playtime and if this is a game with an insane difficulty?
Difficulty is adjustable and you can choose enemy strength, gold warning rate, and groove generation rate.

As an AW vet I'm up to act 3 and it feels just right. I need to consider my actions and think ahead.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
i feel like i'm on a whole other plain of stupidity because i can't find the difficulty sliders, or any difficulty option for that matter

Oct 25, 2017

Do you have any plans to add in zoom options for Switch docked mode? I love playing the game in handheld, but it's too zoomed out on my 720p 40 inch TV from my sofa.

Other than that, I love the game.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Fantastic news, thank you and the team for the continued hard work and care.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Finally settling down to play, I've waited so long for this!